Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - Running

Phred

Justin,

Are there any trails nearby? I am lucky to have a lot of trails near my house so I can stay off the roads. In these times of distracted drivers, I don't trust anyone. It would only take a small swerve to hit you, somebody looks down to read a text and wham it's all over. Too risky for me!

Trails are usually a more forgiving surface too.

Regards,

Joe

I usually run against traffic, and in the past 3 or 4 years that I have been running, I've never had that kind of thing happen. And where I am right now, there really aren't that many trails, and up here, the time of day usually makes a difference--if I run in the early morning or evening, traffic usually isn't that bad. Also, I have a few different routes planned depending on the mileage that I want to cover, so I could do an easy 3-miler, or challenge myself with a 6-miler, or anything in between, but I'll be taking it easy until my knee heals up.

Oh, and after 3 or 4 years of running, I'm so used to pavement that it really doesn't bother me at all.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all, just a quick update. I did the Ottawa half marathon last week, and ran 1:44:21, and am super happy. I could have gone faster, but it was nice to finish in relative comfort, and have my legs heal quickly.

Part of the reason I eased up on the race pace is that I have registered for a few different types of races this year. On May 18th I did a VERY short triathlon. It's called a try-a-tri, and intended for people who have never done a triathlon before. I probably should have gone up a distance level, as I finished 2nd overall out of 250 people. Anyway, it did the trick, and I am very interested in doing more. I have one (a longer one) coming up next week.

I am also going to do a spartan sprint race the following week. Basically a 5k race for idiots that want to climb walls, run up ski hills, and crawl through mud, and lift cinder blocks, and throw spears, etc... while they run 5k :).

Happy running all...

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

• 3 months later...
Hey all, just a quick update. I did the Ottawa half marathon last week, and ran 1:44:21, and am super happy. I could have gone faster, but it was nice to finish in relative comfort, and have my legs heal quickly.

Part of the reason I eased up on the race pace is that I have registered for a few different types of races this year. On May 18th I did a VERY short triathlon. It's called a try-a-tri, and intended for people who have never done a triathlon before. I probably should have gone up a distance level, as I finished 2nd overall out of 250 people. Anyway, it did the trick, and I am very interested in doing more. I have one (a longer one) coming up next week.

I am also going to do a spartan sprint race the following week. Basically a 5k race for idiots that want to climb walls, run up ski hills, and crawl through mud, and lift cinder blocks, and throw spears, etc... while they run 5k :).

Happy running all...

This thread needs a bump, and I'll do so with my kids' running stories.

The last time I mentioned them, my daughter had run 22:06 for her PR as a sophomore in HS (5k) and my son had just finished a successful 7th grade season despite having mild asthma (which has now been cured with the removal of his appendix! - I have another thread on that). So, here are their updates:

My daughter (now a HS junior) qualified for the regional track meet in the spring (when still a sophomore) by running the 1600 meters (9 meters short of a mile) in 5:23...up from her PR as a freshman of 6:16, so quite an improvement. So far this year in cross country (5k), she has lowered her PR to 21:05, and she has adjusted her goal of 20:something to 19:something by the end of the year. They run on a famously fast and flat course on Saturday, so her goal could be realized then.

My 8th-grade son lowered his 2-mile cross country PR to 12:10 on a difficult course on Saturday to finish first for his team for the first time ever. He then had his appendix attack on Monday night and had it out at 6 a.m. Tuesday morning, eliminating his breathing problems completely. His goal by the end of the season is to break the school record of 11:25. Hopefully he will have enough time to get back into the running and make that happen. Doc says he can start running again on Wednesday if he has no pain, so that should be enough time.

I currently have a KNEE injury to go along with my chronic calf problems and have not run since Labor Day. I'd rather see the kids continue to improve though.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

Stepay, hope the knee heals quickly. How did you injure it. Is it a running related injury. Sorry if you posted about it in an earlier and I missed reading it. (I'm training for a few upcoming events myself, just curious)

I went for a run on Labor Day with my daughter as school was out and she needed to run that day even though the cross country team wasn't meeting that day. My knee (inside of the knee) started hurting so that I was limping the next morning. It has SLOWLY gotten better since, but it's not good enough to run on yet.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

Hey guys, I have not scanned to see my last post, but I recall several contributions to this thread when I was training for my first half marathon a year ago. That one went really well and I surprised myself.

I too sustained an unknown knee injury earlier this year that led to ortho visits, xrays, meds, PT, etc. and it stopped me from productively running for about 3-4 months. AWFUL! I think all the rest and other treatments healed it and I've been able to get back on the running routine for the past 6 weeks, but I really lost a lot of my training stamina. I was consistently running 5 miles almost every day and it was a breeze to do it under 40 minutes without even thinking about it. Now that I'm getting back into running shape, I really have to push myself to hit 8 min miles and I had been more in the 7:30 range.

I'm planning to do the half marathon again this November, but really doubtful I'll be able to match my time from last year. Injuries and falling out of the momentum of regular running are a bummer!

Injuries and falling out of the momentum of regular running are a bummer!

I totally agree. Nothing more frustrating than after FINALLY having got yourself motivated to get healthy and really get into exercising (running, weights, hiking, swimming, ...whatever you choose), only to then be derailed by an injury.

It's like, "Really?!?!? why couldn't that happen during all those months I was mostly just sitting on my ass, instead of now that I'm trying to do something about it!"

Good luck in the marathon in November!

• 2 weeks later...

Happy running all...

This thread needs a bump, and I'll do so with my kids' running stories.

The last time I mentioned them, my daughter had run 22:06 for her PR as a sophomore in HS (5k) and my son had just finished a successful 7th grade season despite having mild asthma (which has now been cured with the removal of his appendix! - I have another thread on that). So, here are their updates:

My daughter (now a HS junior) qualified for the regional track meet in the spring (when still a sophomore) by running the 1600 meters (9 meters short of a mile) in 5:23...up from her PR as a freshman of 6:16, so quite an improvement. So far this year in cross country (5k), she has lowered her PR to 21:05, and she has adjusted her goal of 20:something to 19:something by the end of the year. They run on a famously fast and flat course on Saturday, so her goal could be realized then.

My 8th-grade son lowered his 2-mile cross country PR to 12:10 on a difficult course on Saturday to finish first for his team for the first time ever. He then had his appendix attack on Monday night and had it out at 6 a.m. Tuesday morning, eliminating his breathing problems completely. His goal by the end of the season is to break the school record of 11:25. Hopefully he will have enough time to get back into the running and make that happen. Doc says he can start running again on Wednesday if he has no pain, so that should be enough time.

I currently have a KNEE injury to go along with my chronic calf problems and have not run since Labor Day. I'd rather see the kids continue to improve though.

Well, my daughter lowered her 5,000 time to 20:18, so she's pretty happy about that. Time to break 20 now!

Steve (Stevie Ray)

• 1 month later...
wow!! Fast time. Congrats to her

Update. My daughter got her 5,000 time down to 19:26 and helped her team qualify for the state championships for the first time for her high school in 7 years. She's either 3rd or 4th on her team depending on the week, so it's a VERY strong team. The top 7 all broke 20 minutes at least once during the season, and one girl got down to 18:44.

I last ran on Labor Day and injured my knee which is still healing.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

Congrats to your daughter, Stepay.

I am on my winter 5K-A-Day treadmill regimen, with an occasional 5 miler on the trail on the weekend, weather permitting.

I'm envious. I can't even do my elliptical trainer with this silly knee injury...I've never had a knee injury ever. Fortunately it's not exactly the knee, but a ligament alongside the knee...it's slowly getting better, but I could see waiting until the new year before running again.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow Dave, that is awesome that you're doing 25 miles per week! Very inspiring! I average about 15-20, but more in the months prior to a big race. I did my second half marathon in November and I'm doing a bunch of different individual and team runs/obstacle course things in 2014.

My main goal this year is to keep it going post the half marathon. Last year, I had some knee issues and took some months off in early 2013, which was not good. I've been pretty consistent since August and I've definitely kept myself going a lot better after the big race compared with last year when I became sedentary essentially between Thanksgiving, Christmas and NAMM.

Keep it up!

Good for you, Mike. How did you do?

Joe, thanks for asking (about my first 5k) I did 36:12, which I'm told is decent, not great, for a first race at the age of 60. I had started running in the park about two months before. I'm taking it easy as I get back into shape, and there's some definite progress there. I'll be doing another race in February! I'm sure I'll get my time down a bit.

I'm hooked.

I wish I could run... but my knees without any warning ( big strong knees ) , no previous injuries started to give me trouble.

I do not want to discourage here, piss on that... but guys, moderation moderation.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Congrats to your daughter, Stepay.

I am on my winter 5K-A-Day treadmill regimen, with an occasional 5 miler on the trail on the weekend, weather permitting.

I'm envious. I can't even do my elliptical trainer with this silly knee injury...I've never had a knee injury ever. Fortunately it's not exactly the knee, but a ligament alongside the knee...it's slowly getting better, but I could see waiting until the new year before running again.

I had similar knee problem in past. For me, ligament sheath injury, stretching the legs more

cleared it up.

Justin,

Are there any trails nearby? I am lucky to have a lot of trails near my house so I can stay off the roads. In these times of distracted drivers, I don't trust anyone. It would only take a small swerve to hit you, somebody looks down to read a text and wham it's all over. Too risky for me!

Trails are usually a more forgiving surface too.

Regards,

Joe

Central Florida is a great place for trails also. Definitely better than facing off with cars.

• 1 month later...
First run of the year a couple days ago--3.5 miles in 45 degree weather, which almost never happens in February, so it was every intention for me to take advantage of that.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

First run of the year a couple days ago--3.5 miles in 45 degree weather, which almost never happens in February, so it was every intention for me to take advantage of that.

Hey Justin,

Good for you. I am still treadmill-bound. But clocks change 3/8 - 3/9 so then I'll be able to hit my trail after work - as long as the snow melts!

Keep running,

Joe

Most definitely. There are tons and tons of hills around my house, and enough different areas I can go for more variety.

Hardware

Software

I'll be doing a 5K sometime in May. I have a couple different pairs of shorts (some Nike Drifit racing shorts and a couple of longer ones [mostly 5"]), but will be on the lookout for an inexpensive running vest/tank. Any favorites or suggestions?

Hardware

Software

• 2 weeks later...
Going for a 3.5 miler tonight before the storm hits us tomorrow. It's a mild 45 degrees right now, so I should be okay. I'm doing a 5K in May so the earlier I start working towards that, the better.

Hardware

Software

• 2 months later...

Well, I ran my first 5K this morning. It was a beautiful, sunny day with a breezy 70 degree temperature. The course itself wasn't too difficult, there were a few hills, short and long, but they weren't too steep at all. My final time was 32:10.68, so I would probably guess my pace to be about 10:30/mile. I'm still on a runner's high right now, and can't wait to do another one!

10380319_10204145340980023_7002142000213986887_n.jpg

Hardware

Software