Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2541485 - 11/05/13 01:42 PM Speakers for recordings and other?
Gillette Offline

Hello everybody

For some time I've been thinking of getting some studio monitors.
My room is a little one, but there are many speakers these days that can hopefully suit my needs, and that shouldn't be a problem.

I have PC, some midi-keyboards, guitars ect..and here and then love to record something using DAW.

Speakers I have now are some Creative 5.1. which I lined two on the left side, two on the right, and the sub on the floor.

For the movies..listenig music and so on..they are just fine.

What I don't like, is a bunch of cables
And I don't like the idea that if I record and mix some music (using those little speakers and sub) the sound I get IS NOT the sound it should be (right?)

So I'd like more, just a pair of studio monitors instead.

BUT! (finaly the question)

Will they be ok for music? movies, youtube and so on?

I know some guys actualy use those kind of speakers for everything, but I kinda love to hear the warm softy bass, especialy during some movie..

And, as I want to get rid of actual speakers (subwoofer too. Don't want anything on the floor), and to have JUST two of them - would that be a good idea?

I keep reading that studio monitors are good, precise (better than PC etc..) and especialy that Hi-Fi monitors are totally different story (the sound after mixing, isn't the same we usualy hear trough Hi-Fi speakers, right?)

So, as I understand, people need studio monitors so they can hear let's say, final version of their music. But that version cannot be final one, because it's going to sound differnet through other, probably cheaper, or collored Hi Fi speakers, right? So my questin is - why not mix trhough Hi Fi speakers at first place?

I'm not gonna solve this problem if I buy let's say..a pair of Adam's or KRK rocket..and

1. not be able to listen movies as I usted to.

2. OR - if I must keep this 5.1 system (then I'll get just more cables, and more mess in my room, which I'd like to avoid)

Hope made my question clear..

Cheers! smile

#2541713 - 11/06/13 03:31 PM Re: Speakers for recordings and other? [Re: Gillette]
Gillette Offline

anyone..?

#2541728 - 11/06/13 03:59 PM Re: Speakers for recordings and other? [Re: Gillette]
Griffinator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

Loc: Lynchburg, VA, USA
Originally Posted By: Gillette
So, as I understand, people need studio monitors so they can hear let's say, final version of their music. But that version cannot be final one, because it's going to sound differnet through other, probably cheaper, or collored Hi Fi speakers, right? So my questin is - why not mix trhough Hi Fi speakers at first place?

Because hi-fi speakers lie to you. They tell you it sounds good when it doesn't, because they emphasize good-sounding frequencies.

You need to hear the most accurate representation of your recording you can get, so you can make it sound good naked. If it sounds right naked, it'll sound great on those cheesy hi-fi speakers.

#2541782 - 11/07/13 12:21 AM Re: Speakers for recordings and other? [Re: Griffinator]
Gillette Offline

Thanks, so..if I want to record and mix my music, I must have studio monitors for that, and other kind of speakers for movies, mp3 and other stuff?

#2541792 - 11/07/13 04:24 AM Re: Speakers for recordings and other? [Re: Gillette]
Griffinator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

Loc: Lynchburg, VA, USA
You don't "have" to do anything of the sort...

If you're looking for a recommendation as to how you should set up your space, I suggest you're causing yourself myriad problems by using your entertainment PC as your DAW.

If that's the only space available, you're probably going to have trouble with the quality of your mixes anyway because I'm sure it'll be nigh impossible to acoustically treat your bedroom space.

#2541798 - 11/07/13 05:34 AM Re: Speakers for recordings and other? [Re: Griffinator]
Gillette Offline

Yes, I actually want just a pair of speakers that can do both (mixing and listenig), nothing proffesional though.. So my main question is - are there some speakers that can do that?

A pair of speakers better than small PC-ones, with enough bass (without subwoofer), for guitar playing trough DAW, for DVD-s, movies, etc..

Some kind of compromise between profy studio-monitors and amateur recordings smile

#2542822 - 11/11/13 08:59 AM Re: Speakers for recordings and other? [Re: Gillette]
Russkull Offline
Gold Member

Loc: So Cal
I think unless you're buying Yamaha NS10's or the equivalent - something that sounds awful and makes you work to get any kind of a good sound out of it - I think you can get away with using studio monitors for both purposes. The studio monitors will sound "better" than you think.

As a very strict non-professional musician, I can and do use my studio monitors (Equator D5's) just to listen to music. In fact, I let my boss borrow them to show a movie with a projector at his house. He was impressed with the sound and the volume.

However, realize that if you use just two speakers, they will probably be ported, and most likely the bass will not be as accurate or as powerful as you're used to with a 5.1 setup. A book I'm reading now (Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio by Mike Senior) makes a strong case for using non-ported studio monitors paired with a subwoofer. Not that I've actually done that yet....

#2546597 - 11/25/13 04:37 PM Re: Speakers for recordings and other? [Re: Russkull]
pompon Offline

A slight coloration don't ruin music ... compression kill the music.

Give to audiophile recording FLAT without compression as much you can and sellings will explode !

Moderator:  BrianK, J.J. Blair