Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha CP4

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Love the form factor, the price, the weight. Thoughtful design choices from the people at Yamaha. They have been listening. B3s are conspicuously absent, but modeled B3s aren't hard to find elsewhere. I'm glad they saved the rom for the stronger Yamaha sounds. Thank you for the wheels, and where you put them. :thu:

I'm looking forward to trying this out.

With only a $500 price difference most will spring for the CP4 anyway (over the CP40). Last time around the spread was $900 (CP5 vs. CP50) - and that's big enough to sway some decisions.

I'm intrigued - and most impressed with the price point of the 4 :)

If the price is at about 2K and its as good as they claim I will want one. I do hope they follow the trend of lowering prices.

( from my previous post).

Well, I pretty much nailed that one in a previous post. I had the feeling that Yamaha was not going to follow the example of the Roland RD700NX or the Yamaha CP-5 and put the price at the higher side of 2K.

So then .... will someone tell me what the difference would be between MAP price and street price?

Keep in mind that certain online retailers generally offer a 15 percent discount during this time of year. In the case of an instrument selling for $2000, that amounts to around a 300 dollar savings.

Even so, I am not buying anything sight unseen. Still , this looks like the thing that a lot of us have been waiting for.

I held off on getting a CP-5. I just couldn't see hauling all that weight, paying all that money, etc. etc.

This price and weight makes a bit more sense.

And I am hoping this is the last DP I am going to need for a while.

Great news that the power supply is internal.

Is it compatible with 220-240v or will separate models be made for different parts of the world?

Back in the day Yamaha boards used to be voltage switchable. Even my KeyB accepts all line voltages. Fingers crossed from Yamaha.

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

So then .... will someone tell me what the difference would be between MAP price and street price?

Keep in mind that certain online retailers generally offer a 15 percent discount during this time of year. In the case of an instrument selling for $2000, that amounts to around a 300 dollar savings.

It can be even greater than that if you call in (important) towards the end of a sales event when the salesmen are scrambling to make their quotas. I got 20% off MAP on my PX-5s doing it that way. But you've got to be patient and wait for the right time - and there's no certainty about it either.

Seems like a perfectly reasonable split... external power supply in the lighter and cheaper model, internal power supply in the more "pro" model.

There is nothing "reasonable" about external power supplies... they're abominable leftovers from barbarian times, and should be outlawed in any civilized human community.

I would buy one....... if it had on-board speakers.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

As much as I sang the praises of the CF Grand on the CP5, in louder rock situations, unless you used the Rock Bright Grand, I felt CF piano could take on an almost Roland-sque character.

I didn't (don't) think the (acoustic grand) presets in the CP5 were any good anyway, so I designed my own patches...didn't you? The only acoustic grand preset I actually liked was "Old School", which emulates a crummy upright pretty nicely.

The EP presets were better, but not great.

I'm not that excited about how the CP4 looks, based on the ad, I think the dualtone CP1/5 is much more stylish. I'm interested in trying one out, though, eapecially the heavier touch. Th CP5 was even disappointtingly soft/light, but I've gotten used to it.

The CP4 will start appearing in stores in the US around October 1st.

Is the timeframe for the MOXF 61/88 about the same?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The editing on the CP4 is similar to the CP5, but laid out a little differently.

By pressing and holding down the Chorus, Reverb, or Insertion effect buttons on the front panel for a few seconds,it takes you write to the deep edit parameter pages so it' s actually easy to tweak the mic models on the acoustic pianos or the preamp models on the electric pianos. You also have control over Tine position, Note Off level, Amp and Filter EG, etc.

Director of Marketing

Pro Audio and Combo Division

Yamaha Corporation of America

The CP4 will start appearing in stores in the US around October 1st.

Is the timeframe for the MOXF 61/88 about the same?

The web release date for the MOXF is Sept 19, one week after the CP4 Stage on Sept 12. However the MOXF should appear in the market at about the same time at the beginning of October.

Director of Marketing

Athan,

Can you tell us when the cp4 will be hitting the stores in Europe?

Not precisely as there are different shipping windows for different countries and we only have information on what is headed to the US. However it usually is not that far apart from US ship dates.

Director of Marketing

Again the question:

Is a model planned with internal speakers like the CP300 ?

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

I would buy one....... if it had on-board speakers.

+1 !!!!

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

The editing on the CP4 is similar to the CP5, but laid out a little differently.

By pressing and holding down the Chorus, Reverb, or Insertion effect buttons on the front panel for a few seconds,it takes you write to the deep edit parameter pages so it' s actually easy to tweak the mic models on the acoustic pianos or the preamp models on the electric pianos. You also have control over Tine position, Note Off level, Amp and Filter EG, etc.

Thank you. This new instrument does sound interesting.

James, how might this new cp4,(lack of built-in speakers aside),compare with kawai's es7? It seems to be around the same price range.

1) Far lighter

2) No built-in speakers

3) Because there are other sounds drawn from the Motif series, there's probably going to be more quality and breadth in its "extra sounds"

Basically, they're not that comparable. The ES7 is more suited to a "mixed" use, as it has a home stand and pedal unit available to match, whereas the CP4 is aimed at stage use.

I'm quite excited by the CP4, but the Casios have me rather spoiled for weight now, and it does remain to be seen how good the new Yamaha is in mono, given how unusable the CP5 was in such circumstances. DF's comments give me hope, though...

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Makes more sense to me. If wonder if there is really less space above the keys in the front than further back. I thought the Yamaha mechanism was always facing downward. Pity if they could have done it in this way, but simply didn't cause they simply didn't think about it.... If it's technically not possible, I understand.

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/cp4-II.jpg

How extensive are the MIDI controller functions? Can splits/layers be programed for internal and external sounds? Programmable entry volume levels? I see those three sliders....can they control (three) zone volume levels?

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Athan, may I ask you to clarify this point, please?

based on the Spectral Component Modeling sounds from the former series...

What does 'based on' mean in his context?

Does this mean that the CP4 no longer utilises the SCM sound engine from the CP1 (and CP5?)?

Of course, I'll understand if you'd prefer not to disclose this information.

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

James, how might this new cp4,(lack of built-in speakers aside),compare with kawai's es7? It seems to be around the same price range.

1) Far lighter

2) No built-in speakers

3) Because there are other sounds drawn from the Motif series, there's probably going to be more quality and breadth in its "extra sounds"

Basically, they're not that comparable. The ES7 is more suited to a "mixed" use, as it has a home stand and pedal unit available to match, whereas the CP4 is aimed at stage use.

This is largely correct, however I believe the ES7 is still an excellent choice for piano-oriented players that require a portable instrument - regardless of the fact that it features built-in speakers.

It's a little heavier than the CP4, certainly, but only by 3kg or so.

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

1) Far lighter

2) No built-in speakers

This is largely correct, however I believe the ES7 is still an excellent choice for piano-oriented players that require a portable instrument - regardless of the fact that it features built-in speakers.

It's a little heavier than the CP4, certainly, but only by 3kg or so.

Cheers,

James

x

Nice try, James, but the CP4 is NEW! (You'll have to wait until that newness wears off a bit before expecting a sober comparison.) ;)