Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha CP4

The thing I notice is that they seem to be offering the same samples ( or models, whatever) of previous pianos that they have offered.

The CFIII and the S6 are pre-existing, the CFX is new. And it's good that they still have the old ones. One thing that annoys people is when a new model doesn't include their favorite sound from the previous, as when the S90XS didn't include the S700 from the S90ES. Hmm... too bad they didn't toss the S700 into this too! But that's okay, it looks great, I won't be a pig...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who's to say they are not updating the Yamaha CFIII and the Yamaha S6 sample sets?

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Even if Yamaha only offers existing sample sets, the fact that it looks like they are reducing the weight over the CP-5 is an important development.

As far as I am concerned Yamaha blew it four years ago by continuing to offer heavy keyboards. During that time I passed on the CP-5 and have been using a Roland RD 300GX ( 37 pounds ) instead.

Before that I preferred Yamaha but I could never get with the weight of CP-5's, S90's or 88 key Motifs in any form, and before that things like the P-200 etc.etc. were just monsters to haul around. Even the CP-33 is somewhat of a beast, once you add a decent case.

It's about time Yamaha gave us something that includes decent electric pianos ( an assumption here) with reasonable weight and action.

Even if Yamaha only offers existing sample sets, the fact that it looks like they are reducing the weight over the CP-5 is an important development.

As far as I am concerned Yamaha blew it four years ago by continuing to offer heavy keyboards. During that time I passed on the CP-5 and have been using a Roland RD 300GX ( 37 pounds ) instead.

Before that I preferred Yamaha but I could never get with the weight of CP-5's, S90's or 88 key Motifs in any form, and before that things like the P-200 etc.etc. were just monsters to haul around. Even the CP-33 is somewhat of a beast, once you add a decent case.

It's about time Yamaha gave us something that includes decent electric pianos ( an assumption here) with reasonable weight and action.

The P-80 and P-90 were two Yamaha DPs I bought mainly cause they were under 40 lbs. After a while I got so tired of the stretched sample sound.

I might own a N2 for my home, but for live playing, it's going to take a lot to change from my Roland FP-4 and I like speakers in the piano. They add a little stereo image for the type of gigs I play.

Of course if they manage to move the bar forward then I can't wait to try it.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Hi,

Sorry we haven't replied yet as we just got off a red eye from Japan.

Here are some answers to questions that have been raised.

We did ask to have some information held back on the forums, but only until we could get information out to our dealers so they wouldn't be caught by surprise. The ad appeared a few weeks before we thought it would. So we are happy to provide information here now that dealers have been provided with the information they needed.

On September 9th at 1 PM PST Yamaha's website and dealer websites will be opened with complete information, movies and interviews with artists.

The CP4 will start appearing in stores in the US around October 1st. The MAP price of the CP4 in the US is $2199.99.

It does feature Spectral Component Modeling . It is a Graded Wooden Hammer action (the CP5 was balanced so the weight did not change over the keyboard).

The CP4 Stage is the first pro stage piano to feature a CFX,Yamaha' flagship 9' Concert Grand. . It also has a CFIII and S6 pianos so the entire Yamaha Premium Piano Collection is represented. By the way, the S6 piano is very similar in design and part of the same family as the S700. It was specifically designed to have a warmer, more intimate sound than the CFX and CFIII.

At the same time we are releasing the CP40 , a baby brother to the CP4 which has fewer sounds (no CFX and one tine EP model). This will be a MAP price of $1699.99 in the US and replaces the CP50.

One of the biggest improvements on the new CP series is the user interface. It's very easy to understand and quick to get around on. We think people will really like it. There is also direct audio recording and playback to USB memory devices.

If you have specific questions, we are happy to try and provide that information.

Director of Marketing

Pro Audio and Combo Division

Yamaha Corporation of America

Thanks Athan. Glad to see the pricing coming down not going up.

Question: Aside from the graded vs. balanced weighting, has the action changed significantly from the NW-STAGE found on the CP-1/5? Did the nearly 20 lbs in weight saving come from a redesigned action or other places?

Busch.

At the same time we are releasing the CP40 , a baby brother to the CP4 which has fewer sounds (no CFX and one tine EP model). This will be a MAP price of $1699.99 in the US and replaces the CP50.

What action is in the CP40? What does the CP40 weigh?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Actually, the Graded NW action is now the same design as used on our hi end Clavinova's so it's not new, but has been implemented in the overall design so it's roadworthy. The CP5 was a Balanced NW action.

The reduction in weight came from other areas including the overall size of the design itself.

Director of Marketing

Actually, the Graded NW action is now the same design as used on our hi end Clavinova's so it's not new, but has been implemented in the overall design so it's roadworthy. The CP5 was a Balanced NW action.

The reduction in weight came from other areas including the overall size of the design itself.

Awesome.

Busch.

Actually, the Graded NW action is now the same design as used on our hi end Clavinova's

The high end Clavinovas have a three sensor design. Any chance that has made it down to the CP as well?

The 45 grand pianos are different voices created from the core CFX, CFIII and S6 sounds. There is a lot of control on board including mic modeling , virtual circuit modeling effects, parametric EQ and of course reverb, delays, etc.

As well, there are different sample variations , for example , there is a Mono version of each piano, etc.

The 47 electric pianos are created from the different Spectral Component Models. There are different models of different era tine and reed electric pianos as well as DX7 and CP80 sounds These are based on the Spectral Component Modeling sounds from the former series , but have been updated in particular to match the new graded NW keyboard.

Director of Marketing

What action is in the CP40? What does the CP40 weigh?

The CP40 is a Graded Hammer Action and weighs about three pounds less than the CP4.

Director of Marketing

This is putting a damper (no pun intended) on my plans to get a used cp33/cp50!

I'd be curious as the difference in "other sounds" between those 3 generations:

cp33

cp5/cp50

cp4/cp40

I think piano would be fine for me with any of them. Hard to say for sure as I can't find any of the existing ones (and of course the new ones aren't out). I've played a p155 and like the action; I played a mox8 and did not (otherwise it would be contender...actually still is but I digress).

EP would come in second in importance

After that would be horns/strings/synths/pads -- not a showstopper if they suck but it would be a nice fallback if my main synth goes down.

Organ I have no expectation that it would be any good on a Yamaha board, especially a stage piano, so I won't worry about it! :)

Of course I can get the older boards much cheaper used so I'd be trading $$ for features.

internal or external power supply on the CP4? control pedal input?

thanks

thanks

Standard AC cable with internal Power Supply on the CP4 , the CP40 uses a PA150 AC adaptor. 2 foot switches (Sustain and Assignable) on both and they both come with an FC3 continuous control pedal for half dampering.

There are two control pedal inputs on the CP4 and one on the CP40.

The CP4 also has balanced XLR outputs so there is no need for external direct boxes Forgot to mention that and someone did ask.

Director of Marketing

Actually, the Graded NW action is now the same design as used on our hi end Clavinova's

The high end Clavinovas have a three sensor design. Any chance that has made it down to the CP as well?

This. I'd be very interested to know if Yamaha finally started putting triple sensors in stage pianos.

Welcome home Athan.

Thanks for stepping in and getting the KC up to snuff on the details. I'm sorry for the small part I may have played in making you guys reconsider your release date, but in the end, I suspect you have a winner here and all will be forgotten as sales climb. :)

Hello Athan,

thanks for your responses here in the forum, great !

Just one question:

Will there be a CP4(00) with internal speakers like the CP300 ?

Would be great.....

kind regards

Markus

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

thanks

Standard AC cable with internal Power Supply on the CP4

:thu::thu::thu::thu:

the CP40 uses a PA150 AC adaptor.
:mad::freak::cry::facepalm::mad:

Seems like a perfectly reasonable split... external power supply in the lighter and cheaper model, internal power supply in the more "pro" model.

Is the spectral interpolation also a part of the acoustic piano sound ? I recall that was the case with the CP5 type Yamahas, but maybe I'm mistaking. Of course something in the sample engine, apart from trivial filtering, should be adaptive to compete with the V.A.S.T. signal path, though like in the motifs (which I play since a decade) there also could be a lot of hidden samples and intelligent filtering..

Theo V.