Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha CP4

Adan - you are too funny - Please don't rain on my CP4 fantasy so soon! I was cleaning the garage over the weekend and moved the empty Gator 88 case with wheels that I use for my CP5 and thought this thing looks like a coffin!

I tried a P105 over the weekend for a second time - I like it - the keybed could be a little better, I couldn't figure out how to make a bass piano split or how I could control the volume balance of the split - but I prefered the piano sound and one of the Rhodes sounds to the much loved and written about PX5S. It is a brave new world - I guess 25 is the new 55 in terms of weight. How is the P105 working out for you?

I use a Motif XS7 for gigs once in a while - when I need more than piano sounds - and I think it is around the same weight as the CP4 - I would say it is as heavy as I would like to move around.

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm excited about the CP4. Whether I get one will depend on how my gigging profile is looking. It's a brave new world for me now as a family guy/father, and the P105 has been "good enough" for some jazz and solo gigs where the shlep factor is sometimes the tipping point. Not really a substitute for the new CPs.

The RD64 is sitting next to me in my office right now, right there on the desk, and its great knowing I can close the door and play for 15 minutes. I would use it on band gigs where 64 keys is plenty.

Without even seeing it, I know the CP4 would top my list if I needed a quality DP again. Even the CP50 was too heavy, wall wart and all. This will be what the CP50 should have been.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I think we can discuss it because it's past the point of any non-disclosure agreements about its existence, since the info has now appeared in print in a Yamaha ad.
The initial hubbub was caused by the appearance in print in a Yamaha ad that was in the sister mag to KB. Appearing in print wasn't what we were waiting for since it already happened.

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that it had appeared in an online edition of the magazine, not in print. And I think the online version was not supposed to be viewable until the paper copy shipped.

You are wrong. :) I have the printed copy of EM with the ad in it. It was the arrival of that issue in subscribers' mailboxes that prompted the earlier thread. In fact, AFAICT, the online editions of EM and KB are not yet available.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

The RD64 is sitting next to me in my office right now, right there on the desk, and its great knowing I can close the door and play for 15 minutes. I would use it on band gigs where 64 keys is plenty.

Do you really like the action on that thing? To me, it plays like it's broken. The keys are sluggish, and I had difficulty getting consistent velocity out of the AP sounds.

Do you really like the action on that thing? To me, it plays like it's broken. The keys are sluggish, and I had difficulty getting consistent velocity out of the AP sounds.

For me, the action is a mixed bag. It's not my favorite DP action, but it's quite useable, and in fact it's reminiscent of many acoustic pianos I've played, sluggishness and all. The touch-to-sound connection is quite good, imo.

In any case, I wanted a weighted keyboard with as small a footprint as possible. It's getting harder to find practice time at home, so I have to start using my spare time in the office. Questionable cost-benefit analysis, but kind of a desperation move. Between Nord HP v. Korg SV1 v. RD64, the RD best fit the bill.

One other thing I am hoping for in the CP4 is that the height is less than the CP5. The tops of the keys on the CP5 are over 5 inches from the base. I have mine sitting on my omni rack studio desk and my chair cannot be adjusted high enough for a comfortable playing experience - I use a DW throne set pretty high.

Oh - and I went to jam and used someones MOX8 - same or similar feel to the P105 and all of the sounds of my Motif XS7 but some didn't sound as good and honestly I am tired of the Dynostrait/Hard Vintage etc EP sounds. Took ten years. I think I learned at that session that I do not care for weighed actions when it comes to lead sounds - like the pervasive Sweet Flute that I use all the time - I much prefer using the XS7. Though for B3 I miss my CX3 or Nord waterfall keys.

I'm very interesting in this board. Price will be the big factor as well as, as Funkeystuff mentioned, how much more it gives me over my PX3.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I'm very interesting in this board. Price will be the big factor as well as, as Funkeystuff mentioned, how much more it gives me over my PX3.

I'm in a similar boat. Have been gigging the PX3 since preorder, am looking to upgrade. Had thought about PX5s, then Nord Piano 2...and then this thing gets announced.

For me, the action is a mixed bag. It's not my favorite DP action, but it's quite useable, and in fact it's reminiscent of many acoustic pianos I've played, sluggishness and all. The touch-to-sound connection is quite good, imo.

In any case, I wanted a weighted keyboard with as small a footprint as possible. It's getting harder to find practice time at home, so I have to start using my spare time in the office. Questionable cost-benefit analysis, but kind of a desperation move. Between Nord HP v. Korg SV1 v. RD64, the RD best fit the bill.

I wanted to love it but the action (and, to a lesser extent, the weight -- somehow it weighs more than the PX-5S??) were dealbreakers. If Roland improves the action in a second generation, I'll give it another go.

I was all set to get either the Nord Piano 2 or Nord Stage 2 76 this week, but now I want to wait and see when the CP4 will materialize.

PS- Yes I know there is a big difference in price and features of the Stage and Piano - I usually only use piano sounds but I went to a jam and used some organ sounds behind a guitarist and had forgotten how much fun that can be so it's the old debate about are the additional Stage features worth the prices jump ($1000+) from the Nord Piano 2, and does the keyboard feel between the two models vary.

I was all set to get either the Nord Piano 2 or Nord Stage 2 76 this week, but now I want to wait and see when the CP4 will materialize.

PS- Yes I know there is a big difference in price and features of the Stage and Piano - I usually only use piano sounds but I went to a jam and used some organ sounds behind a guitarist and had forgotten how much fun that can be

If you don't need the synth functions of the NS2, I think a combination of the CP4 with the Nord Electro 4D would provide a more satisfying piano+organ experience than the NS2. Not sure how the price will compare, though. But if you don't need the sample library of the Nord, you can also get the price down a bit with a different clone... Numa Organ, forthcoming Hammond XK-1c, Roland VR-09, depending in part on how fussy you are about the sound and feel of the organ.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I'm staying out of this until I get an official thumbs up :rolleyes:

Good, that makes two of us. ;) Now I don't feel so alone... :D

This thread has lasted nearly 24 hours. I think you're safe...

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

A public pillory-ing would probably give us all a sense of cathartic release, and a fresh start. The medievals where on to something, imo.

A public pillory-ing would probably give us all a sense of cathartic release, and a fresh start. The medievals where on to something, imo.

Great.... And I started the current thread. :laugh:

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Wow. I've been looking at used cp50s, cp33s and possibly even cp5 (heavy, argh)...going to be a bit harder to settle* for those knowing this is coming out. However, I stick with my approach, which is to buy stuff used under $1000 that used to be much more :) Usually that is.

*Assuming this is a big improvement, newer is not always better as we all know.

This just might be the one....

It definitely has me intrigued, so far.

That photo doesn't give a totally clear look at the entire instrument, but from what I can see, it reminds me a bit of the KX-88. Which is a good thing, by the way. On the inside they probably have little or no resemblance, I'm just talking about the look of the top surface.

I don't want to bitch... it's taken Yamaha this long to offer a package with a somewhat manageable weight that offers AP's and usable EP's. I am glad about that.

The thing I notice is that they seem to be offering the same samples ( or models, whatever) of previous pianos that they have offered.

So we don't really know if they are offering anything new.

As much as I like the CP-5 I thought that there was still a bit of room for improvement. So in some ways I find myself going back to liking the CP-33, which has become a bit of a standard for me sound wise. I guess that is because I am so used to playing a Nocturne every day ( with CP-33 sample).

I am also hoping that Yamaha will be offering some better organ sounds. And perhaps some improved EP's also.

But of course I am anxious to hear one of these. They are claiming it is their best ever offering in a stage piano.

If the price is at about 2K and its as good as they claim I will want one. I do hope they follow the trend of lowering prices. But then again with the wooden keys, I am not getting my hopes up. This may do more than the CP5 which was 2700 dollars street, which was always too much for me.

Do you think the pitch and mod wheels are too far from the left side?

I couldn't see them at first, but when I increased the brightness, I could see them (they're near the back of the top, above the keyboard, directly above the low D and E keys, approximately).

I don't think they're too far from the left-hand side. For me, pitch-bend and mod are a 'nice-to-have' convenience on a stage piano, not a necessity. So they're fine where they are. I would never use them in normal usage anyway. I'd be playing acoustic piano most of the time, rhodes or wurly occasionally, and the other sounds rarely if ever.

Do you think the pitch and mod wheels are too far from the left side?

No, but they may be too close to the right side. :)

When does it ever really make sense to have the wheels all the way to the left on something as long as an 88? Is the idea that you need to be uncomfortably stretched out in order to use them? Sorry this layout makes much more sense to me.

Busch.