Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha CP4

In addition to what FXM posted about the CP4 (which maybe should be its own thread at this point?)...

They call it "simply the best stage piano Yamaha has ever made." I'm not sure where that leaves the CP1!

No mention of SCM

From the picture, it appears to be closer to slab piano dimensions, not as deep as the CP5. Panel control arrangement looks simplified, more reminiscent of the MX than the CP5. It has pitch AND mod wheels (not just pitch like the CP5), and the wheels are above the keys instead of to the left of them, so the board should be less wide as well. And something I always wish for... the controls and the display are all at the front of the panel, right behind the back of the keys. You should be able to place the front of a 61-key organ/synth board on the back of the panel and have minimal distance between your 88 and 61 keys.

* quoting: "Most importantly, an easy to understand interface with large lighted buttons for splits and layers"

Weight, size, interface... it looks like they addressed the CP5 criticisms pretty well...

Seems, at first glance, a winner. Bet Yamaha sells a lot of these...

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup. Other than what we don't know until we get our ears and fingers around it, it seems like the main thing we don't know is the price. My guess is that it won't cost any more than the CP5 did. I agree with Busch, this could be a serious hit on the Nord Piano. Less weight, pitch/mod wheels, what looks like a more friendly design for stacking a second board above, and most likely better action, better EPs, better split/layer capabilities, and less $. If the sound is there...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

and just to have it all in one thread, here's the ad copy that FXM posted before...

- 45 Premium Grand pianos including the CFX, CFIII and the S6

- 47 Vintage electric pianos (tine, reed, DX and original CP80)

- 341 Voices including Basses, Clavs, Organs, Strings and Pads based on our flagship Motif

- 62 Virtual Circuit Modeling effects, Reverb, Chorus, Master 5 band EQ and Compressor

- Easy Splits and Layers with large lighted buttons

- 88 Note Graded Hammer Wooden Key Action with Synthetic Ivory tops

- Slim, elegant lightweight (38.5 lbs.) design for portability

- FC3 foot pedal for half damper and sound board resonance included

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Hallelujah! The piano that shall not be named has been named!!

(Ducks in case of imminent nuclear attack)

I really do hope that this is as good as it appears on paper. The whole stage piano sector needs a major shakeup, IMO.

No need to duck.... It's on the inside back page of my copy of the October Keyboard - delivered Sept. 3rd :D

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

I think we can discuss it because it's past the point of any non-disclosure agreements about its existence, since the info has now appeared in print in a Yamaha ad.

Wait, so we're allowed to discuss this now?

What was the reason for the censorship a few days ago?

James

x

Seasons change, time passes by.

As the weeks become the months become the years.

Busch.

To everything there is a season....

I think we can discuss it because it's past the point of any non-disclosure agreements about its existence, since the info has now appeared in print in a Yamaha ad.
The initial hubbub was caused by the appearance in print in a Yamaha ad that was in the sister mag to KB. Appearing in print wasn't what we were waiting for since it already happened.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Look promising !

I hope it's the start of a new line.

Would like to see this as a CP400 with speakers (like the CP300).

With the same formfactor I could replace my P250 and keep my original LP3 stand !!!

Please Yamaha, PLEASE !!!!

;-)

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

The initial hubbub was caused by the appearance in print in a Yamaha ad that was in the sister mag to KB. Appearing in print wasn't what we were waiting for since it already happened.

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that it had appeared in an online edition of the magazine, not in print. And I think the online version was not supposed to be viewable until the paper copy shipped.

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that it had appeared in an online edition of the magazine, not in print. And I think the online version was not supposed to be viewable until the paper copy shipped.

Not sure when the online edition appeared, but by the time I saw the original forum post on the MOXF, I already had the print version of the Oct Keyboard Mag (which has both the MOXF and CP4 ads in it.)

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

If Ram is so expensive and it's necessary to chop up samples, how can they have that many killer sounds?

The "45 Premium Grand pianos including the CFX, CFIII and the S6" are presumably 45 programmed variations on just three sets of samples. Similarly, the "47 Vintage electric piano" are probably based on 4 or 5 sample sets. The balance is probably a small subset of what's in the MX.

btw - knowing this is the mystery piano is so "much ado about nothing."

Well, we don't know the price. But for a lot of people, I think this may be just the piano they've been hoping Yamaha would come out with... potentially top quality action and sound in a compact and reasonably lightweight package. In many cases that's all we want, and it sounds so simple, but no one has really offered it. So it could be a pretty exciting product.

[Well, we don't know the price. But for a lot of people, I think this may be just the piano they've been hoping Yamaha would come out with... potentially top quality action and sound in a compact and reasonably lightweight package. In many cases that's all we want, and it sounds so simple, but no one has really offered it. So it could be a pretty exciting product.

+1. In fact, I wouldn't have swapped my S90ES for Stage 2 if Yamaha had simply come out with a version of the S90ES with only two changes: weight under 40 pounds and length = (88 keys plus a couple inches), i.e. the pitch/mod wheels above the keyboard. Assuming the CP4 is reasonably priced (say < $2500), I would have certainly considered this (along with a suitably flexible rompler/synth on top.)

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Seems to me that issue of EM (with the ad in it) hit the street sooner than anticipated, which prompted the deletion of the threads. Anyway, despite no official announcement from Yamaha,

http://eatingacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/the-cat-out-the-bag.jpg

"much ado about nothing." I was referring to Yamaha corp. when they demanded the posts about this new keyboard needed to be deleted. Now that we all know what the product, IMO the whole thing was over blown.

Ah. Well I think that that was simply a matter of following rules about scheduled dates and non-discosure agreements. Nothing to do with the product itself or wanting extra secrecy about this model in particular.

Presumably the CFSIII and S6 come from the CP-1/5. The CFX was sampled for the new NU1 hybrid and is supposed to be quite nice. It's possible/likely that a version of this library is now in the CP-4.

Busch.

If that's the case, this could be one, very expressive and dynamic digital instrument. I'm intrigued..

- Slim, elegant lightweight (38.5 lbs.) design for portability

Interesting. There was a time when 38.5 pounds would have seemed "elegant and lightweight" to me -- especially in relation to my 55-pound CP5, which never leaves the house due to its weight and bulk. But over the past couple years, my 23-pound PX-3 has totally spoiled me. Now I'm not sure if I'd be willing to drag around 15 more pounds of keyboard again, even if it had the unquestionably superior AP sounds and action of the CP5.

The CP4 might be small and light enough to merit a lightweight gig bag instead of a wheeled casket that the CP5 required. So it's not just the 15 pounds of the keyboard, it might, for some folks, be another 10 lbs of carrying case weight you don't have to lug. I've obviously gone lite with a P105 and a RD64 (which mostly stays in my office right now). It is hard to turn back. The muscles you built up hauling bigger keyboards atrophy and next thing you know, bullies are kicking sand in your face again at the beach.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64