Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2518869 - 08/14/13 10:45 AM Large photos now used in Keyboard Magazine.- a suggestion
Bif_ Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Indiana
First- I'm a long time subscriber, going back well over 20 years. I've always appreciated the magazine and still look forward to getting it every month.

I recently noticed that many pages of the magazine have VERY large photos, often taking 1/3 to 1/2 of the page. In the current issue (with George Duke's interview) I saw many pages worth of photos.

Artistically speaking, it is nice to see these photos as they are pleasant to glance at while reading the articles. The bad news is that there is much 'lost' space because of them.

Is this decided by the art department or is there not enough written content to fill what precious few pages the magazine currently offers?

Greg

#2520313 - 08/20/13 07:30 AM Re: Large photos now used in Keyboard Magazine.- a suggestion [Re: Bif_]
Stephen Fortner Moderator Offline
But who is number 1 ? ...
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Oakland, CA, UNITED STATES
Hi Greg,

Thanks for your kind words and for being such a longtime reader.

Current photo sizes in Keyboard are the result of design decisions made for the most recent redesign, which began with the December 2011 issue. The executive level of the parent company participated in these meetings and felt that larger, higher-res photos would give the magazine a slicker and more commercial appearance.

If anything, we have too much written content for the available pages each month. No reason why the photo approach can't be tweaked, certainly. FYI, there's a tug-of-war that's very typical of magazines in all areas of interests. Graphic designers and management types tend to want less text on the page, whereas editors are usually pulling for more. Both sides have legitimate reasons for their views.

I often look over back issues from, say, the early '80s, and find myself wanting more information to be conveyed graphically, with sidebars and bullet points, etc. Pictures were tiny back then and the sea of black-and-white text almost felt like "The New Yorker." We probably could stand to look for a happy medium between that and what we have now.

Thanks for your comments. You're not the first reader to make this observation, and we'll consider it carefully. Best regards,

Stephen Fortner
Principal, Fortner Media
Editor at Large, Keyboard Magazine
Contributor, Gearslutz.com

#2524905 - 09/06/13 06:04 AM Re: Large photos now used in Keyboard Magazine.- a suggestion [Re: Stephen Fortner]
Bif_ Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Indiana
Stephen,

Thanks for that reply. I was thinking about this and wanted to offer this additional perspective (my opinion).

I would imagine that significant percentage of your subscribers are male. I would bet that most guys don't care as much about pictures (unless they're of attractive women or new gear). Not trying to be sexist, but the sexes are different.

I understand you need some photos in the magazine but I most appreciate the written content and notated music/lessons. Just some food for thought as you consider this matter.

Thanks again for the response and mostly thanks for a great magazine. I truly still look forward to getting it every month. It's a highlight of my day.

Greg

#2525172 - 09/07/13 05:15 AM Re: Large photos now used in Keyboard Magazine.- a suggestion [Re: Bif_]
Bone Muskeleton Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
I like photos and good graphic design. I'm male. smile

The lessons generally have smaller photos, I think, and focus well on the lesson material. I think the feature articles usually have a nice balance between photos and written content. It seems to me that after the first page or so, the written content tends to dominate.

I hope KB keeps a good balance as Stephen says. "White space" is good, as is good amounts of text.

Moderator:  Stephen Fortner