Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#2503688 - 06/19/13 07:24 AM BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi)
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Ghost Planet

We are proud to announce the first hardware product under the GSi brand: BURN, a fully programmable digital Rotary effect Simulator with MIDI and Tube distortion.

The GSi BURN has been conceived for the modern musician, it is ready to be integrated into any set-up, either basic or complicated. It is built as a traditional stomp-box with three pedals for BYPASS, STOP/RUN and SLOW/FAST but can be controlled in a number of ways according to the musician's needs. Are you a keyboard player? A guitarist? Will you use it in your studio set-up? BURN can integrate into your musical environment any way you like. Imagine you wish to add a high quality realistic Rotary Speaker effect to your workstation keyboard but you don't want to have a stomp box under your feet. Just connect the stereo output to the BURN, you can call the True Stereo BYPASS via the foot pedal or by sending a MIDI Control Change event, or you can even save a preset with the Bypass engaged and recall it via MIDI Program Change. There are 32 presets but you can map them to any one of the 127 Program Change numbers.

BURN is more than just a Rotary effect stomp-box. Will you use it for reamping your pre-recorded tracks? You can control the Rotary speeds by sending custom MIDI CC messages or use one of the pre-set configurations (derived from some of the most common "clonewheel" organs).

You wish to play your vintage tonewheel organ at home without disturbing the neighbors? Hook it up to the BURN and use its built-in headphone output, and enjoy the hypnotic stereo image of the different Rotary simulations.

Virtually everything you wish to do with the BURN can be easily done, no matter if you are an organist, keyboardist, guitarist or a sound engineer. You put the music, BURN makes it hot!

The GSi BURN features:
Tube Distortion
MIDI Input and Thru
9 different Rotary effects
Other 7 effects of static amps, modulations, reverbs
Digital stereo reverb on all effects
32 Programmable presets
LCD Character display with backlight
6 real time parameters and up to 11 additional parameters per preset
Full MIDI control with freely assignable controllers
True stereo bypass
Separate Left and Right 1/4" jacks for input and output
Remote control via optional foot switch or half-moon switch
Built-in stereo headphone amplifier with volume control
Fully upgradable

BURN will be available towards the end of July at a special introductory price for the first 100 units, make sure to grab yours in time!

Busch.

KC Island
#2503690 - 06/19/13 07:29 AM Re: BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi) [Re: burningbusch]
Marzzz Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
So how is the 64-bit version of VB3 coming along?

#2503693 - 06/19/13 07:36 AM Re: BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi) [Re: Marzzz]
johnchop Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Georgia, US
Busch,

That... that is suh-weet.

-John

#2503698 - 06/19/13 07:46 AM Re: BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi) [Re: johnchop]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

It has a real tube in it if I recall Guido's original post correctly. Perhaps he will chime in on this thread.
http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2503711 - 06/19/13 08:40 AM Re: BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi) [Re: mate stubb]
Tonysounds Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
How do I get on the e-list for notifications on this? Has there been any indication of price?

#2503712 - 06/19/13 08:43 AM Re: BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi) [Re: mate stubb]
Stokely Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Florida
Wowsers....more competition in the leslie sim world can only be a good thing!

headphone out and reverb are very nice features, though it all comes down to how good it sounds of course.

Nitpicks: not really digging the name or fire motif, seems a bit over the top IMO.
Also, assuming this is the final ad copy (probably isn't), there's a few typos to clean up. Just offering constructive feedback, not trying to be an ***.

Edited by Stokely (06/19/13 08:45 AM)

#2503713 - 06/19/13 08:44 AM Re: BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi) [Re: mate stubb]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Originally Posted By: mate_stubb
It has a real tube in it if I recall Guido's original post correctly. Perhaps he will chime in on this thread.
Isn't that what's being shown in the rectangular hole on the top right?

#2503715 - 06/19/13 08:49 AM Re: BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi) [Re: Joe Muscara]
Kas Offline
Platinum Member

It could use a couple more knobs. I like the stop footswitch though.

#2503723 - 06/19/13 09:11 AM Re: BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi) [Re: Joe Muscara]
J. Dan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Yes, you can see it more on the "top" view on the web site. Looking at the scale, compared to the tube, display, and jacks on the back, that thing's probably pretty large for a "pedal".

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2503725 - 06/19/13 09:14 AM Re: BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi) [Re: Tonysounds]
Mogut Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Clarkston MI
Originally Posted By: tonysounds
How do I get on the e-list for notifications on this? Has there been any indication of price?

Asked them. lets see if they respond

Yamaha Motif XS8, Nord Electro 3 seventy three, Neo Ventilator, Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase

#2503740 - 06/19/13 09:40 AM Re: BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi) [Re: Mogut]
Mogut Offline
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hi Greg,
thank you for your interest in the Burn.

We still don't know the final prices. The Burn is currently in the
production phase, and we won't be able to calculate the final price
until we have a detailed estimate of the whole production cost. All I
can say is that it will be slightly less expensive than its current
major competitor.

It will be sold direct from factory with shipping and importation
taxes included in the final price, as we already do with all other
Crumar products, and there will be an introductory offer for the first
100 units.

Guido.

Yamaha Motif XS8, Nord Electro 3 seventy three, Neo Ventilator, Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase

#2503750 - 06/19/13 10:08 AM Re: BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi) [Re: Mogut]
nickd Offline
Gold Member

Loc: UK
Can't fault the speed of response.

So, slightly less expensive than the Vent, I guess?

And we have the mini-Vent coming up as well, so will be interesting to see where that is priced.

#2503789 - 06/19/13 11:11 AM Re: BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi) [Re: J. Dan]
FunkKeyStuff Offline
Platinum Member

Very interested in hearing how the tube affects the overdrive. That's the one area where I feel the Vent has an edge on the Mojo's internal sim. If he can get that worked out while including programability, reverb and a headphone out, AND beat the Vent's price, this will be an absolute no-brainer.

Originally Posted By: JustDan
Looking at the scale, compared to the tube, display, and jacks on the back, that thing's probably pretty large for a "pedal".

After a couple minutes of scaling in Photoshop (yes, I'm that big of a geek), I'd say it's between 7 and 7.5 inches wide, same as the Vent.

#2503792 - 06/19/13 11:19 AM Re: BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi) [Re: FunkKeyStuff]
J. Dan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: St. Louis, MO
That's smaller than I was guessing from the pic. That must be a pretty small display.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2503795 - 06/19/13 11:23 AM Re: BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi) [Re: J. Dan]
BigJPatton Offline

Loc: LI
Is that a model?

#2503809 - 06/19/13 11:41 AM Re: BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi) [Re: BigJPatton]
FunkKeyStuff Offline
Platinum Member

Lots of opportunities for puns with the name. A single one of them would be called a "Burn unit." I just sent GSi an email asking to be notified when they're available, and the subject was "Burn notice."

#2503812 - 06/19/13 11:42 AM Re: BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi) [Re: BigJPatton]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Originally Posted By: BigJPatton
Is that a model?
Judging by the "tube" in the overhead shot as well as a couple of other features, this is a computer rendering.

Edited by Joe Muscara (06/19/13 11:42 AM)

#2503813 - 06/19/13 11:43 AM Re: BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi) [Re: Joe Muscara]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

The real question for me is how different will this sound from what's built-in to VB3 v2 (aka Mojo).

#2503819 - 06/19/13 11:51 AM Re: BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi) [Re: Joe Muscara]
FunkKeyStuff Offline
Platinum Member

Dan, may I just say that the your avatar next to the picture of this thing looks awesome!

#2503829 - 06/19/13 11:57 AM Re: BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi) [Re: FunkKeyStuff]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: FunkKeyStuff
Very interested in hearing how the tube affects the overdrive. That's the one area where I feel the Vent has an edge on the Mojo's internal sim. If he can get that worked out while including programability, reverb and a headphone out, AND beat the Vent's price, this will be an absolute no-brainer.

Not to mention being able to control it via midi!
http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2503837 - 06/19/13 12:02 PM Re: BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi) [Re: FunkKeyStuff]
Kas Offline
Platinum Member

A 12ax7 distorting does not sound like 6550's hard clipping. Just because the burn has a tube in it doesn't mean its distortion will be better than some other unit without a tube. Somehow the vent has effectively modeled the 6550's in a 122 . Maybe the burn also models a 122's distortion and uses the 12ax7 for "warmth" or maybe not, I don't know ,but preamp tube distortion alone will just buzzzzz.

#2503848 - 06/19/13 12:13 PM Re: BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi) [Re: Kas]
TKN Offline

Loc: Norway
Guido just told me on Facebook that VB3 v.2 is up next!

#2503858 - 06/19/13 12:20 PM Re: BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi) [Re: TKN]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Originally Posted By: TKN

#2503866 - 06/19/13 12:52 PM Re: BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi) [Re: Joe Muscara]
Skinny Offline
Platinum Member

Well hallelujah! Can't wait! (Not that 1.4 is any slouch...)

#2503871 - 06/19/13 12:59 PM Re: BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi) [Re: Joe Muscara]
AndreaAgnoletto Offline

Hi Guys...
Time to reply to some of your questions...(and to anticipate some other)
1) Yes it is a computer rendering... photos very soon ( 20 days more or less).
2) Yes... real tube inside it :-).
3) Yes, full midi.
4) LCD: this is a standard type 16x2 normal dimensions.
5) Real dimensions of top panel 200mm x 150mm.
6) Price: TBD... but we would like to keep it very attractive :-)
7) Introductory price: only for the first items you will be able to purchase it from GSi web pages or from Crumar web pages with strong discount!
8) Who made this: This is coming out from Crumar factory but the brand is GSi (brand of Guido's software)... why? Because we like this way :-)
9) Times? one month... I think end of July.
Ciao!

Andrea
Crumar

#2503877 - 06/19/13 01:03 PM Re: BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi) [Re: nickd]
Mogut Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: nickd
And we have the mini-Vent coming up as well

We do? any articles on this online?

#2503879 - 06/19/13 01:10 PM Re: BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi) [Re: Joe Muscara]
davinwv Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Bridgeport, WV, U.S.
Originally Posted By: Joe Muscara
Originally Posted By: TKN

+1,000,000 - Can't come soon enough!

#2503880 - 06/19/13 01:12 PM Re: BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi) [Re: Mogut]
Mogut Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Greg Gallant
Originally Posted By: nickd
And we have the mini-Vent coming up as well

We do? any articles on this online?

http://neo-instruments.de/en

THAT ANSWERS THAT!

However doesnt look like a usable tool for keyboards

#2503884 - 06/19/13 01:27 PM Re: BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi) [Re: Mogut]
learjeff Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: NC, USA
I assume we'll be able to program patches, including stereo bypass. That'd be great, because it means we could use it with (say) an Electro, and when we change patches it goes to bypass mode or a particular leslie sim setup, based on the program we select on the NE.

That would be a big advantage over the vent, for me.

#2503890 - 06/19/13 01:39 PM Re: BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi) [Re: learjeff]
FunkKeyStuff Offline
Platinum Member

The "other 7 effects of static amps, modulations, reverbs" have me wondering about the possibility of using it in Stop mode to run EPs and Clav through, to warm up the sound. I've used the Vent for that, with limited success, so I'm interested in seeing what kinds of tones can be coaxed from this thing. The 12ax7 is the same tube that's in the SV-1's preamp, and I love what it does for the EP sounds, so here's hoping.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner