Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#2516013 - 08/01/13 05:40 AM Re: BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi) [Re: Hammonddave]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Originally Posted By: Hammonddave
Originally Posted By: Jim Alfredson
Is it just me or does it sound like the overdrive is post Leslie effect?

The transition from slow to stop seems a bit too quick as well. Wonder how it transitions from fast to stop?

I agree... Would like to hear this as well...
I'm wondering if this is adjustable. If it is on the Mojo/VB3, I would bet it's similar. I tried finding details online but didn't see them yet.

Does he run through any parameters like this in the second video?

KC Island
#2516017 - 08/01/13 05:51 AM Re: BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi) [Re: Hammonddave]
lsj Offline

agree also. really like the sound of the slow speed but the fast speed is not so convincing. would have to hear more. looking forward to a one on one comparison with the vent.

#2516022 - 08/01/13 06:32 AM Re: BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi) [Re: Scary Mike]
Outkaster Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
Originally Posted By: Rusty Mike
Originally Posted By: Moonglow
Originally Posted By: Keyz2401
[quote=Rusty Mike]I can DEFINITELY get this in the house without my wife finding out!

LMAO! That is the beautiful thing about accessories and softsynths! laugh

Ya know, all those red keyboards kind of look the same, in an out with the old in with the new sort of way. whistle cool

Played that card already - twice! [/quote]

Luckily Tucktronix lives near me so I blame new purchases on him and tell my girl I am "watching" the keyboard for him.

noblevibes.com

#2516034 - 08/01/13 08:14 AM Re: BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi) [Re: Joe Muscara]
matted stump Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Joe Muscara

Does he run through any parameters like this in the second video?

Yes, he demonstrates different ramp times in the 2nd video.
http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2516295 - 08/02/13 01:50 PM Re: BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi) [Re: matted stump]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Ha ha ha - check out the display when he saves a preset. Anyone recognize that? grin

#2516310 - 08/02/13 02:59 PM Re: BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi) [Re: Joe Muscara]
vanderSchoot Offline

Emu ?

Reminds me a lot of my Emu B3/proteus, but since it is somewhere dark and far away in the house, I cannot check..........:)

#2516313 - 08/02/13 03:05 PM Re: BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi) [Re: Outkaster]
area51recording Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Newburgh,IN
Originally Posted By: Outkaster
Originally Posted By: Rusty Mike
Originally Posted By: Moonglow
[quote=Keyz2401][quote=Rusty Mike]I can DEFINITELY get this in the house without my wife finding out!

LMAO! That is the beautiful thing about accessories and softsynths! laugh

Ya know, all those red keyboards kind of look the same, in an out with the old in with the new sort of way. whistle cool

Played that card already - twice! [/quote]

Luckily Tucktronix lives near me so I blame new purchases on him and tell my girl I am "watching" the keyboard for him. [/quote]

"It's not mine....I'm holding it for a friend"....
I think the last time I tried that was in high school (not with "gear" though)....didn't work as I recall.....

#2516330 - 08/02/13 04:19 PM Re: BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi) [Re: vanderSchoot]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Originally Posted By: vanderSchoot
Emu ?

Reminds me a lot of my Emu B3/proteus, but since it is somewhere dark and far away in the house, I cannot check..........:)
Nope - when he saves a preset, there's a "countdown" as it's saving. What does that look like to you?

#2516340 - 08/02/13 05:15 PM Re: BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi) [Re: Joe Muscara]
J. Dan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: St. Louis, MO
there's a "countdown" as it's saving. What does that look like to you?

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2516356 - 08/02/13 06:22 PM Re: BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi) [Re: J. Dan]
Dulce Labs Offline
Platinum Member

Come on, Dan. A little warning next time... my laptop can't take much more soda being spit on on it. laugh

An eye is upon you, an eye ready to blink.
So face forward, with arms wide open and mind reeling.
Your future has arrived ...
Are you ready to go?

#2516361 - 08/02/13 06:58 PM Re: BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi) [Re: Joe Muscara]
t9cstudio Offline

What does that look like to you?

laugh Pacman!

#2516363 - 08/02/13 07:05 PM Re: BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi) [Re: t9cstudio]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Originally Posted By: t9cstudio

laugh Pacman!
Ding ding ding! We have a winner, and I don't have to go far to give you your chicken dinner! wink

#2516369 - 08/02/13 07:34 PM Re: BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi) [Re: Joe Muscara]
t9cstudio Offline

Originally Posted By: t9cstudio

laugh Pacman!
Ding ding ding! We have a winner, and I don't have to go far to give you your chicken dinner! wink

snax yum, yum, yum. Popeye's.

#2516370 - 08/02/13 07:41 PM Re: BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi) [Re: Joe Muscara]
Dr88_BoneS Offline

Loc: Montreal, Canada
Anyone know which 'other' effects are included in this box?
I see there is a phaser from the demos.
Anyone know about chorus or tremolo?

I'm considering this is an adjunct for my VR-09 as the built-in distortion on the VR-09 is awful. While that keyboard has tremolo and phaser effects built in, there is a disappointing lack of user control. If I could replace the onboard effects with the ones in this pedal, it would definitely justify the price.

#2516444 - 08/03/13 09:10 AM Re: BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi) [Re: Dulce Labs]
Hammonddave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
So I took a lot of time listening to the demos with good headphones, and I must state that I am VERY impressed. The distortion sounds very good (after hearing the second demo)... And the amount of adjustment and tweakability is amazing. This could definitely be a Vent Killer. Just the price and the MIDI capabilities alone make it a no brainer!

So the race is on... If this hits the market before the Vent II, look out!

#2516459 - 08/03/13 10:11 AM Re: BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi) [Re: Hammonddave]
Jim Alfredson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lansing, MI
To my ears, it does not beat the Vent in terms of authentic 122 overdrive or 3D realism. The kind of overdrive it does can be achieved with the SK1/2's distortion emulations, the 3300's tube circuitry, or the internal tubes on the XK3/c.

Lots of options, yes but the basic rotary sim does not better the Vent. My two cents.

#2516463 - 08/03/13 10:20 AM Re: BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi) [Re: Jim Alfredson]
mobi Offline

Originally Posted By: Jim Alfredson
To my ears, it does not beat the Vent in terms of authentic 122 overdrive or 3D realism.

+1

To me sounds more like Mojo's leslie sim, not bad, but not "superb" as the Vent

#2516467 - 08/03/13 10:38 AM Re: BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi) [Re: mobi]
Hammonddave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

A also agree with Jim regarding the overdrive. But it is very good for a tube circuit, and the options for different settings controlled via MIDI would be a godsend for rock cover Hammond players who want to go from Steppenwolf, to Jon Lord, and then to James Gang in the same set. Just choose your voice from the controller and the Leslie sim changes dramatically.

Now for a Jazzer or Blueser, I would probably just set the Vent at one setting and use it there all night.... But for someone who needs a lot of instant flexibility, its pretty impressive,

#2516505 - 08/03/13 01:14 PM Re: BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi) [Re: Hammonddave]
Craig MacDonald Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Toronto, Canada
I think we need to keep in mind that these are 3 videos that are intended to demonstrate the EXTENSIVE features of this box.. I don't think that it's Guido's intention to spend a lot of time (at least initially) proving that the Burn can duplicate the sound of a Ventilator... Jim, based on my experience with the SK1 (albeit somewhat limited) I don't think that the SK1/2 overdrive can do what this unit can do.. The 2:00 mark of the second amp sim video is killer Jon Lord sound (that stack of marshalls sound). I never got anywhere near that with the SK1.

I would heartily agree with HammondDave that this Burn will be a superb unit for someone like me, who wants to go from "Steppenwolf, to Jon Lord, and then to James Gang in the same set". I also have not seen any leslie sim (built in or otherwise) that can be edited to the extent this can, and I think it is AWSOME!!!

I really would like to see a side by side comparison of the Burn and the Ventilator.. I do think that IF the Burn has in it the ability to create "ventilator" quality sound if would be good to demonstrate this.. (and that is the beautiful stereo animation of the Ventilator and the wonderful warm overdrive). I bet it can..

All that said, at a couple of points in the first video I thought there was a bit too much tremolo/wobbliness on high speed.. and I'm assuming that this can be tweaked out of it, given how editable this thing is, and I have never heard that in the VB3/Mojo sim.

#2516512 - 08/03/13 02:17 PM Re: BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi) [Re: Craig MacDonald]
KRK Offline

Loc: Italy
my two cents (but in ! laugh)

what I feel (from a first impression) is that the BURN includes features both from the "old" VB3 mkI (online VST software) and the new VB3 mkII (Hamichord/Mojo) leslie simulation.

and, for my personal taste, comparing them to my leslie 3300, the VB3 mkII leslie simulation is a way better than the Ventilator (that I own and use regularly).
for example:
http://youtu.be/gfvdWJvaZIU?hd=1
http://youtu.be/Ibbcnz6EdtM?hd=1
http://youtu.be/vuXuhrROfXU?hd=1
if the BURN includes these kind of simulation I have no doubts....
(sorry for my bad playing, I'm NOT a musician!!!! laugh)

as usual, just my personal feeling!
as usual, each individual with his ears, has his single taste, so be happy with these incredible machines (Ventilator, BURN, any other upcoming one....) because I don't remember in the last passed 15 years any other time/period with a so incredible (and high-quality) opportunity of choice! laugh

thu

PS: for my personal "rocking" taste, I also prefer the SK2 internal leslie simulation to the Ventilator.....

Edited by KRK (08/03/13 02:22 PM)

#2516533 - 08/03/13 04:50 PM Re: BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi) [Re: Hammonddave]
Kawai James Offline

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
...and then to James Gang in the same set.

Yeah, James Gang!
I loved that band during my high school days (late 90s...)!
Their first two albums (plus the live album) were superb!

Gonna have to listen to them now...

#2516547 - 08/03/13 05:59 PM Re: BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi) [Re: Kawai James]
Hammonddave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
...and then to James Gang in the same set.

Yeah, James Gang!
I loved that band during my high school days (late 90s...)!
Their first two albums (plus the live album) were superb!

Gonna have to listen to them now...

Here you go...

When the Vent or the Burn can sound like this... call me...

I saw them in the early 70's and Joe played an A100 for this song and "Garden Gate"... He is a great rock Hammond player, by the way...

#2516551 - 08/03/13 06:54 PM Re: BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi) [Re: Hammonddave]
Kas Online   content
Gold Member

I dont know about the burn but my xk3c and vent gets pretty damn close to that James Gang sound. Add a little lexicon verb to account for the concert hall and youre closer than a cover player should be complaining about.

#2516559 - 08/03/13 07:32 PM Re: BURN - Programmable Rotary Simulator (from GSi) [Re: KRK]
J. Dan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Originally Posted By: KRK
my two cents (but in ! laugh)

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Grave Bryce, Stephen Fortner