Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2503081 - 06/17/13 09:37 PM Hammond Digital Leslie Pedal vs Neo Instruments Ventilator
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
I probably missed out on an earlier discussion during a super-busy period, but I suspect no one had one in hand until recently anyway as they seem to just be arriving in the e-stores, so it doesn't hurt to revisit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXfz_NdHY_c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgcn-q1pZXQ

In that second link, it sounds like he's saying the pedal is exactly the same circuitry as what's in the Hammond SK1. Not sure if this is also the same as what's in the XK-3c (yes, it was probably discussed a gazillion times, but I've barely had time for internet in nine months and it's hard to find these discussions inside much larger and less focused threads).

In order to compare apples and apples (guitar usage vs. keyboard usage), here is a guitar demo of the Neo Ventilator:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5osnINfj_48

To me, it sounds more organic and analog than the new Hammond pedal. But the Hammond emulates more cabinets and has more features altogether.

KC Island
#2503083 - 06/17/13 09:46 PM Re: Hammond Digital Leslie Pedal vs Neo Instruments Ventilator [Re: Mark Schmieder]
UnderGroundH Offline

Loc: Keratsini, HELLAS
In my opinion, the best leslie pedal simulator is Strymon Lex.

#2503085 - 06/17/13 09:49 PM Re: Hammond Digital Leslie Pedal vs Neo Instruments Ventilator [Re: UnderGroundH]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I don't care much for that one myself, or any of their pedals; I've tried them all and they sound very digital to me. The Lex pedal is probably one of their better ones though, and is better matched to guitar than it is to keyboards. But I ended up feeling it gave sort of a lesser Uni-Vibe sound and I already have an excellent Uni-Vibe pedal from Fulltone. I would say that the Lex is slightly better than the on-board XK-3c Leslie simulator though.

#2503121 - 06/18/13 12:47 AM Re: Hammond Digital Leslie Pedal vs Neo Instruments Ventilator [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Losendoskeys Offline
Gold Member

Loc: West Sussex, UK
I now use my Vent with the overdrive turned off because U prefer the overdrive from my SK2.

But then I turned on my Motionsound Pro145 last night and thought "no contest".

#2503187 - 06/18/13 06:53 AM Re: Hammond Digital Leslie Pedal vs Neo Instruments Ventilator [Re: Losendoskeys]
Kas Offline
Gold Member

The only bad review I ever heard about the vent was from a guy that hates everything that isn't a real B/122 . Otherwise the vent has bettered all comers . I suspect that if the vent was priced at $250.00 , the lex wouldn't even get a second look. You are free to like the lex or whatever, in fact I encourage you to do so. To me, based on the demos ive heard, the lex sound a little better than an RT20 but still sounds chorusy . Its worth it for me to pay a little more, support a small company and have a very realistic sounding sim.

#2503221 - 06/18/13 07:48 AM Re: Hammond Digital Leslie Pedal vs Neo Instruments Ventilator [Re: Kas]
Mitch Towne Offline

There is another challenger coming soon.

#2503245 - 06/18/13 08:45 AM Re: Hammond Digital Leslie Pedal vs Neo Instruments Ventilator [Re: Mitch Towne]
Jazzmammal Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, CA
Ok Mark, what am I missing? Where's the actual demo with an organ? Your first link is 8 seconds long, nothing there except talk and the second one is guitar.

Bob

#2503380 - 06/18/13 01:19 PM Re: Hammond Digital Leslie Pedal vs Neo Instruments Ventilator [Re: Jazzmammal]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yeah, I didn't find any demos with an organ, which is why I only gave guitar links for both products.

If the first link only lasted eight seconds, they must have replaced the video from what I saw/heard, or the link self-updated after playing.

I had a chance to try a Sidewinder (used) recently on electric guitar (Motion Sound product) and ended up concluding that I'd just as soon use a Uni-Vibe for that chore.

So, I'm still torn on this. The XK-3c's rotary emulation is far superior to what came before, and I can live with it, but do wish I'd bought the Leslie reissue when it was still under $1000 as it's almost double that price now.

I don't see much chance of my gigging on keys anytime soon due to shifting gears musically (most of my gigging is as a jazz bassist now, as my 80's tribute band keeps having every gig that comes its way evaporate at the last minute), so it's more about recording at this point, at my end.

For that reason, I have less interest in buying an actual Leslie speaker, and was thinking along the lines of the Ventilator for keyboard duties (and Fulltone Uni-Vibe for guitar duties).

But Mitch says there's another challenger coming soon, so I guess I'll wait a bit (Summer NAMM announcement?).

I am recording a fair bit of B3 these days but in background roles so the rotary isn't critical at this point; that might change.

Edited by Mark Schmieder (06/18/13 01:23 PM)
Edit Reason: clarification

#2503389 - 06/18/13 01:33 PM Re: Hammond Digital Leslie Pedal vs Neo Instruments Ventilator [Re: Mark Schmieder]
mate_stubb Offline
10k Club

I'm pretty sure Mitch is talking about the GSI sim stomp box, due soon. Think of it as the Mojo sim in a box.
http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2503390 - 06/18/13 01:36 PM Re: Hammond Digital Leslie Pedal vs Neo Instruments Ventilator [Re: mate_stubb]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Oh, cool, and I've noticed some other virtual instrument and plug-in developers are starting to package their algorithms in dedicated hardware. It's a good trend.

#2503448 - 06/18/13 03:42 PM Re: Hammond Digital Leslie Pedal vs Neo Instruments Ventilator [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Jazzmammal Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, CA
Yes, that could be cool.

Bob

#2503615 - 06/19/13 01:45 AM Re: Hammond Digital Leslie Pedal vs Neo Instruments Ventilator [Re: Mark Schmieder]
UnderGroundH Offline

Originally Posted By: Mark Schmieder
I don't care much for that one myself, or any of their pedals; I've tried them all and they sound very digital to me. The Lex pedal is probably one of their better ones though, and is better matched to guitar than it is to keyboards. But I ended up feeling it gave sort of a lesser Uni-Vibe sound and I already have an excellent Uni-Vibe pedal from Fulltone. I would say that the Lex is slightly better than the on-board XK-3c Leslie simulator though.

I can't understand why Lex match beeter to guitar than keyboards...It's a leslie simulator. So when strymon made this, they tried to replicate what the original leslie does. If you like or not, it's another point but don't say that it's better for guitar. And no it's not uni-vibe "like" pedal...
I was check both Ventilator and Lex and i liked Lex more and i bought it...I am a keyboard player. I try to tell to others about Lex because the most keyboard/ hammond players ignores this pedal. Try it live and you can understand what i say.

And off course i believe that vent is a great pedal.

#2503666 - 06/19/13 06:47 AM Re: Hammond Digital Leslie Pedal vs Neo Instruments Ventilator [Re: UnderGroundH]
mate_stubb Offline
10k Club

UnderGroundH, when the Lex first came out, there was a lot of interest on this list because it was less expensive than the Vent. We listened to all the online demos, and indeed many of us came to the conclusion that it sounded more authentic for guitar than organ.

There have been other leslie sim pedals (RT-20 for instance) that sounded fine for guitar but not quite there for organ. For some reason organ seems to expose the flaws in a leslie sim.

It's all personal opinion, but I happen to share it. It reminds me more of a Univibe than a leslie, when playing organ.
http://www.hotrodmotm.com

#2503676 - 06/19/13 06:58 AM Re: Hammond Digital Leslie Pedal vs Neo Instruments Ventilator [Re: mate_stubb]
tonysounds Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Chicago
+1 And I'm a huge fan of Strymon stuff. But the Lex, like their other pedals, was not designed for keyboards, they were designed for guitarists.

It's okay if you like it. But don't berate us because we don't love it.

#2503679 - 06/19/13 07:02 AM Re: Hammond Digital Leslie Pedal vs Neo Instruments Ventilator [Re: mate_stubb]
CEB Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Prefer the Lex and the RT-20 over the Vent .... for GUITAR. I guess because my ears prefer the Uni Vibe thing over the more subtle nature of a leslie cabinet. The effect of a real leslie gets lost and washes out somehow when play single strings at soft dynamics .... or something. Guitar is nothing like the solid tone generator based sine waves that come out of an organ.

For keys, The Vent IMO eats those two alive.

But that is just me. I'm not the most othrodox dude to say the least.

Edited by CEB (06/19/13 07:03 AM)

#2503685 - 06/19/13 07:18 AM Re: Hammond Digital Leslie Pedal vs Neo Instruments Ventilator [Re: CEB]
wmp Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: MA
I just played the best sounding rig / gig ever. I just mentioned the G1 at the AJC. I couldn't put my XK-3 on top of the piano because the cables wouldn't reach. But the XK-3 though my new Vent into a little mixer to get a +4 balanced out into a QSC K8 was just plain awesome.

#2503735 - 06/19/13 09:27 AM Re: Hammond Digital Leslie Pedal vs Neo Instruments Ventilator [Re: wmp]
UnderGroundH Offline

I respect your opinions and i don't berate you at all.

For those that have not seen this video.

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXMS9SgDkPY&feature=player_embedded][/url]

Edited by UnderGroundH (06/19/13 09:31 AM)

#2503751 - 06/19/13 10:10 AM Re: Hammond Digital Leslie Pedal vs Neo Instruments Ventilator [Re: UnderGroundH]
wmp Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: MA
I respect your opinion and I'll have to check out something you prefer to the Vent when I have time. thu

#2503915 - 06/19/13 02:33 PM Re: Hammond Digital Leslie Pedal vs Neo Instruments Ventilator [Re: wmp]
Jim Alfredson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lansing, MI
Hammond is supposedly sending me one to check out. I will let y'all know what I think and just because I'm a Hammond endorsed artist doesn't mean I'll pull any punches.

#2504034 - 06/19/13 10:49 PM Re: Hammond Digital Leslie Pedal vs Neo Instruments Ventilator [Re: Jim Alfredson]
b3halt Offline

Loc: Berlin, Germany & Yokohama, Ja...
The Vent has been great. Unfortunately, it's out of productuon now, and I cannot tell you details, but something is coming... The mini Vent is coming soon, and two big brothers are coming as well. That's all I can say, and I'm looking forward to getting it in the near future.

#2504204 - 06/20/13 10:50 AM Re: Hammond Digital Leslie Pedal vs Neo Instruments Ventilator [Re: Jim Alfredson]
allan_evett Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Westville, IN
Originally Posted By: Jim Alfredson
Hammond is supposedly sending me one to check out. I will let y'all know what I think and just because I'm a Hammond endorsed artist doesn't mean I'll pull any punches.

Look forward to reading your thoughts on the Hammond pedal, Jim.

Hopefully both Hammond and GSi will have audio and/or video up soon for us to check out the new pedals (or perhaps Jim will beat Hammond to it grin ). Surprised that there was only a guitar-based example of the Leslie pedal at NAMM; a video from Hammond that features a keyboard plugged into the box would've made sense, as well.... And the examples are still the same on the web page. I guess Hammond's still having trouble finding a keyboard to demo with this pedal crazy laugh

"One hour of getting your ass kicked on a gig you aren't quite ready for is greater than countless hours of practicing" - Kanker.

#2511227 - 07/14/13 08:39 AM Re: Hammond Digital Leslie Pedal vs Neo Instruments Ventilator [Re: allan_evett]
Jim Alfredson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lansing, MI
According to this video from SOS at Summer NAMM, the list price is $399 on the new Leslie pedal.

Still no examples on the organ, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Gq9glUQuK3g

#2511228 - 07/14/13 08:51 AM Re: Hammond Digital Leslie Pedal vs Neo Instruments Ventilator [Re: Jim Alfredson]
area51recording Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Newburgh,IN
......so there's a hammond sitting RIGHT THERE and they can't plug the dang thing into this box?

#2511276 - 07/14/13 01:22 PM Re: Hammond Digital Leslie Pedal vs Neo Instruments Ventilator [Re: area51recording]
Joe Muscara Offline
Double Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Houston, TX
can't, or won't?

#2511287 - 07/14/13 02:30 PM Re: Hammond Digital Leslie Pedal vs Neo Instruments Ventilator [Re: Joe Muscara]
allan_evett Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Joe Muscara
can't, or won't?

snax

"One hour of getting your ass kicked on a gig you aren't quite ready for is greater than countless hours of practicing" - Kanker.

#2511288 - 07/14/13 02:36 PM Re: Hammond Digital Leslie Pedal vs Neo Instruments Ventilator [Re: Joe Muscara]
M_G Offline

Loc: Germany

???
why should they demonstrate it with a Sk or Xk1c which has the same leslie sim on board?

#2511321 - 07/14/13 05:05 PM Re: Hammond Digital Leslie Pedal vs Neo Instruments Ventilator [Re: M_G]
Hammonddave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Originally Posted By: MisterM/M_G

???
why should they demonstrate it with a Sk or Xk1c which has the same leslie sim on board?

If its the same Leslie sim and overdrive as the SK, then it really does not compete with a Ventilator (IMHO)....

#2511327 - 07/14/13 06:13 PM Re: Hammond Digital Leslie Pedal vs Neo Instruments Ventilator [Re: Hammonddave]
Kas Offline
Gold Member

If the h/s is anywhere near $399 then i think the vent at $450 is still safe from worry.

#2511340 - 07/14/13 09:15 PM Re: Hammond Digital Leslie Pedal vs Neo Instruments Ventilator [Re: M_G]
allan_evett Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: MisterM/M_G

???

Presenting it via the guitar player market apparently shows the pedal's versatility, and also avoids the perceived Catch-22 of having to display a different keyboard than a Hammond - especially if the sims the same as that in the SK line, or XK-1c. Seems they'd rather have you buy a Hammond, but if you must use another brand of keyboard they'd like you to trust that the new pedal will make your keyboard sound great - based on hearing it demo'd with a guitar. crazy

#2511351 - 07/14/13 10:57 PM Re: Hammond Digital Leslie Pedal vs Neo Instruments Ventilator [Re: allan_evett]
kanker. Offline
KCFF League Champ '13
10k Club

Loc: Indy
It's a very simple inequality. The number of people who like SRV and want to sound like him is greater than the number of people who like music. The the guitar-centric nature of the report.

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

web space
myspace

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner