Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#2501615 - 06/12/13 10:20 PM The stand construction thread
mate stubb Offline
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

I have a stand design I have used for over 20 years, that I have been meaning to post about. My current rig reconfiguration has caused me to mod it again, so here is some blather.

It is built mostly from a USS Apache 3 tier A frame I bought and used in the mid 80s. All the tubes, thumbscrews, and joints are original. I've added my own pieces over the years, and it's become an erector set.

When I make a new rig I move a few rubber bumpers, and maybe cut a few different length pieces to make it fit exactly.

The basic stand has an H leg with a single top tube and a braced X back, removeable with wing nuts.

When I want a rig for standing, I substitute in longer legs. That takes no tools, just thumbscrews.

It breaks down partially for quick load out in less than 30 seconds.

And it breaks down completely for carrying in a bag in another 60 seconds.

The 2 extra T connectors on the back are put on when I am building a 2 tier stand. A short pair of tube stubs stand in those. They are cut to length to be the same height as the top surface of the bottom keyboard, whatever that is.

Usually I build a very thin wooden tray with rubber underneath, that stands on those stubs and the back of the keyboard's top surface. On this project, I am trying something a little different, so they are tilted outward slightly.

This time, they will hold up a pair of H beam rails. The project goal is to mount a Nord on top of the Mojo, both of which have lots of controls on top, which complicates things.

Why rails? I'm going to try to get a little tricky, and be able to easily move the Nord forward for piano centric activity. Stay tuned for updates...

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

KC Island
#2501617 - 06/12/13 10:28 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
uncledunc Offline

Loc: Tucson AZ, USA
Very nice. I've always been a fan of using the top of the bottom keyboard to help support the 2nd tier - leftover from the days of big keyboards with flat tops that served as the 2nd tier.

I noticed the pedal board in the back of photo #1. Love those left-footed volume pedals. smile

#2501622 - 06/12/13 11:04 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: uncledunc]
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
The ability to slide the top board forward and back is a VERY novel idea and takes care of the issues of acces to lower tier controls.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2501633 - 06/13/13 01:55 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: J. Dan]
SteveCoscia Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA USA
Is that a Chroma in the background of the second photo?

#2501634 - 06/13/13 02:07 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: SteveCoscia]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia
Good job Moe. Over the years I've been using USS parts to make custom stand configurations. They are extremely versatile. I was very disappointed when USS stopped selling their various connectors and raw pipes. Fortunately a couple of years ago I found someone on ebay selling a lot of parts and bought them. Looking around my room I'm now down to only one table-top riser but when I do change things up I know I can put together just about anything to suit my needs with these parts.

#2501642 - 06/13/13 03:45 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Markyboard]
mahinty Offline

Loc: New Zealand
Ace. I look forward to the next instalment. The sliding rails are a master stroke!

#2501690 - 06/13/13 07:40 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: SteveCoscia]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: SteveCoscia
Is that a Chroma in the background of the second photo?

Yep. Bought my baby new in 1982 and gigged it hard for years. This used to be my avatar pic.

#2501848 - 06/13/13 02:14 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

I cut some simple wedges to try the concept, and it appears to work. It's a shame that you can't have it all and must instead trade reach for button access.

Piano forward:

Drawbars accessible - this would be my go to position if I had access to percussion and chorus vib. Piano is still playable from this position. Hmmm, need to move some controls down...

All the way back - piano is too far back to comfortably play sitting down.

#2501875 - 06/13/13 03:20 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
The Real MC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Secluded Tranquil NY Wine Coun...
That's about the only configuration that is useful for those gawd-awful USS stands.

#2502672 - 06/16/13 09:24 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: The Real MC]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

Got construction finished tonight, and the pieces are ready to paint. It works as I hoped, so I'm looking forward to trying it with the band.

I built a wedge from oak and fastened an aluminum bracket to it.

The wedge on it's bobsled run:

I added some adhesive backed felt to protect everything.

In action:

#2502676 - 06/16/13 09:50 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
So are the wood blocks just sitting on the "arms"? Is that the part that slides? Can you just lift it off.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2502677 - 06/16/13 09:58 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
uncledunc Offline

That is a really cool contraption. It's a little late now, but what if you were to mount the Nord on a couple of heavy duty rolling drawer tracks, so you could pull it forward with a flick of your wrist and then shove it back when you need more organ controls? Or does it already slide easily in the track you've built?

#2502685 - 06/16/13 11:07 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: uncledunc]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

The blocks just sit in the rails. You can easily move it with one hand in the middle, but it has enough friction to stay in place.

#2502697 - 06/17/13 12:05 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
uncledunc Offline

Very nice. Your rig has inspired me to modify my second tier when my new keyboard arrives. I won't be using drawer tracks, but I will be using some of that heavy flat aluminum to extend the top keyboard closer. It's an electro 3 so it's pretty light. Do you get the adhesive-backed felt at places like Home Depot? I never noticed it before.

#2502788 - 06/17/13 08:10 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: uncledunc]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

I bought the felt in 9" x 12" sheets at Hobby Lobby.

#2502789 - 06/17/13 08:19 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
Mogut Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Clarkston MI
does the 2nd tier wood wedge fasten to the slide rail, or is it just sitting on top loose?

I guess why does it need too, right?

You REALLY got my wheels turning with that top tier slide

#2502792 - 06/17/13 08:31 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Mogut]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

The top rail has sides - it's hard to see from the pics. So the wedge sits INSIDE and can't fall off the rail.

It's held down by the top board's weight.

#2502795 - 06/17/13 08:33 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
Mogut Offline
Platinum Member

yeah I see it... its like 'H' rail

#2502827 - 06/17/13 10:37 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Mogut]
ivorycj Offline
Gold Member

Loc: 5280
Moe, someday, I'd just like to come hang out at your shop for a day or so and learn stuff.

Kurzweil PC3X • Korg Kronos 61 • 1973 Fender Rhodes MKI Stage 88 • 1898 Steinway I

#2502838 - 06/17/13 11:06 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: ivorycj]
RedKey Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Chicago
Originally Posted By: ivorycj
Moe, someday, I'd just like to come hang out at your shop for a day or so and learn stuff.

This!

#2502844 - 06/17/13 11:16 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: RedKey]
ITGITC? Offline
Grand Poobah of Posting
10k Club

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: RedKey

This!

Me too! I'll bring the beer. thu

Tom

#2502976 - 06/17/13 03:25 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: ITGITC?]
Mr T, Sweden Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Örebro, Sweden
Damn - the sliding top tier is a great idea!
I'm doing the same thing at home - sliding the top board back and forth on my Standtastic to access the panel of the lower board. But this looks so much nicer!

#2503019 - 06/17/13 05:04 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: ITGITC?]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: ITGITC?
Originally Posted By: RedKey

This!

Me too! I'll bring the beer. thu

Tom

#2503024 - 06/17/13 05:25 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Texas
Moe, that is awesome!!

One question: have you thought about some type of cap/cover for the rails out front?
I could see myself slicing my hand up when I get overly enthusiastic.

#2503050 - 06/17/13 07:26 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: EscapeRocks]
Stormfront Offline

Loc: Columbus, OH
Great job. Stain the wooden wedges to match the Mojo!!

Pete

Kurzweil K2000, ME-1 and (2)PC3, Barbetta Sona 32C, Motion sound KM-12 / Pro3X, EV sXa 360

#2508144 - 07/03/13 03:02 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Stormfront]
mahinty Offline

Not wanting to de-rail Moe's thread, but have you seen this quite beautiful stand designed for Mikael Jorgensen of Wilco, by furniture makers UM Project

It highlights, once again, that we have been poorly served in the stand department.

No disrespect intended, Moe - your stand is beautiful too. Good on you for not putting up with the mediocrity of the off the shelf options.

#2508150 - 07/03/13 04:40 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mahinty]
StanC Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Connecticut USA
Originally Posted By: mahinty
Not wanting to de-rail Moe's thread, but have you seen this quite beautiful stand designed for Mikael Jorgensen of Wilco, by furniture makers UM Project

It highlights, once again, that we have been poorly served in the stand department.

No disrespect intended, Moe - your stand is beautiful too. Good on you for not putting up with the mediocrity of the off the shelf options.

Really??
Sorry, don't mean to offend, but that's uglier than the DGX640 in the other thread!

#2508163 - 07/03/13 06:29 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: StanC]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

I'm not offended - was hoping others would chime in with "out of the box" thinking on their own stand designs!

#2508182 - 07/03/13 07:32 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
StanC Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Connecticut USA
Well I don't know if this qualifies as "Stand Design". it's really a modification by adding a custom second tier to a W550.
View it here http://www.thedriveband.net/. The 550 is barely visible. The second tier supporting the XK-1 is 1" square aluminum bar stock in the form of a sideways "F" screwed to the 550. Of course it's not adjustable, but unless I get taller or shorter, I don't need it to be. smirk

#2508330 - 07/03/13 01:57 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: StanC]
Baldwin Funster Offline
Has been warned....
Platinum Member

Loc: On top of the world ma, I fina...
Here my stand. Not as cool as the other ones here, but neither am I .

Edited by Kas (07/04/13 05:16 AM)

#2508467 - 07/04/13 12:34 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Baldwin Funster]
stoken6 Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Kas
Here my stand. Not as cool as the other ones here, but neither am I.

Are you kidding? That's beautiful! Did you construct it yourself?

Cheers, Mike.

#2508468 - 07/04/13 12:34 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Baldwin Funster]
stoken6 Offline
Platinum Member

Are you kidding - that's beautiful! Did you make it yourself?

Cheers, Mike.

#2508481 - 07/04/13 03:55 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: stoken6]
Baldwin Funster Offline
Has been warned....
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: stoken6

Are you kidding - that's beautiful! Did you make it yourself?

Cheers, Mike.

Thanks. It was built for me by a local furniture maker Jack Garriott for about $200 . The sides detach at the hinges and breaks down to 4 almost flat pieces.

#2508527 - 07/04/13 08:16 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Baldwin Funster]
MuzikTeechur Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Kittery, Maine
Some great ideas here. I'm like King Arthur on a search for the "Holy Grail" of stands. When someone, here or elsewhere, mentions a new or different type of stand I'm compelled to find one and try it out.
I have Z stands, X Stands, folding stands, invisible stands, Apex stands, Ultimate Stands, a T-Stand, and even two Standtastic Stands.
My observation is that the "better" (ergonomically, structurally, stability...) a stand is, the longer it takes to set up. Knobs, wingnuts, etc. all suck when they come loose and roll away to a dark corner on an unlit stage during setup or breakdown. I dislike it when it takes longer to set up my stand than it does for the drummer to set up his kit.

On the subject of modifications: I keep coming back to this X-Stand (horrors!) with a 2nd tier. *CLONK*
In stock form, the 2nd tier is ridiculously high, AND is perched almost directly over the lower keyboard. I needed it lower and back. A sawz-all cut the arms, and I used a drill press to drill holes for the stabilizing rod across the back (to lower it). Simple, effective.
And, yes, I use a simple safety strap in case of X-Stand Malfunction.
Only (minor) complaint is that there isn't a lot of foot room, and I use two sustain and two modulation pedals.
Stand sets up or folds up in less than 10 seconds. AND with the modification the 2nd tier is well back and lower.

This past weekend I realized I'd left my X stand AND my folding Z-stand in my Music Room at school, and was forced to take one of the Standtastic stands out of hibernation. They work great, and are very adjustable - just a bit fiddly to set up.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, Music History, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

#2508707 - 07/04/13 11:43 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: MuzikTeechur]
uncledunc Offline

Originally Posted By: muzikteechur
.... I'm like King Arthur on a search for the "Holy Grail" of stands. When someone, here or elsewhere, mentions a new or different type of stand I'm compelled to find one and try it out....

For my money, the Roland KS 12 is the holy grail of stands. It takes all of 5 seconds to set up. Add 30 if you're adding the second tier brackets. I got my KS 12 many years ago with a Roland RD-250. I think these days, the legs are black, not chrome, and they sell for $240. Expensive yes, but you get the compact stackable load, the quick set-up and plenty of real estate for your pedals. I added a mixer to mine, and jerry rigged second tier brackets.

The mixer is an ancient DOD, 4 mono inputs, stereo outputs on XLR and 1/4". The KS 12 stand in the default configuration is the perfect width for mounting a 19" rack mount unit. (The width and height are adjustable.)

I also added rubber bumpers for the keyboard to sit on.

Front mounting is with a piece of one-inch angle aluminum, sheet metal screws into the stand, and a nut and screw for the rack ears.

Rear mounting is an L brace supporting the weight of the mixer.

Second tier bracket (a no-name brand) is designed to mount vertically, but that would have put the second tier keyboard too high, so I cut it and bolted it back together at a right angle. I jammed a piece of plywood inside the cut part so it wouldn't collapse when it was bolted back together.

The clamp end just so happens to fit the KS 12 stand perfectly. The brackets aren't rigid at the right-angle bend, but they don't have to be. They're designed to rest on top of the bottom keyboard, with carpet scraps double-taped on the bottom side. I also cut the tubing back a bit to eliminate another inch in height.

I've been using this with different keyboards for about 20 years or so. Fortunately, I've always had a bottom keyboard with all the controls close to the front. In fact, that's a major part of my buying decision.

Here’s some guy (who looks a lot like me) playing my rig before I got the Nord Electro. You'll notice I hadn't yet cut the bottom of the 2nd-tier tubing to eliminate that extra inch added by the higher profile of the RD-300gx.

I had to throw this in - my jerry-rigged iPad stand. It’s made by On Stage. It comes with an L-shaped arm to clamp onto a mic stand. Fortunately, the base threads onto a standard mic stand, which is how I use it. I cut the hole for the 30-pin connector and added the bent-open eye-bolts to clamp the iPad to the stand. They can be moved to accommodate horizontal or vertical orientation. There are springs against the wing nuts so they don’t rattle off in transit. Back when I rigged this up, iPad holders were still made for a bare iPad with no cover. Mine has the Gumdrops case which makes it too thick to fit the clamps of one of those. These days I think the tablet-holder stands are more versatile.

#2508869 - 07/05/13 02:15 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: StanC]
mahinty Offline

Originally Posted By: StanC

Really??
Sorry, don't mean to offend, but that's uglier than the DGX640 in the other thread!

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one!

Originally Posted By: mate_stubb
I'm not offended - was hoping others would chime in with "out of the box" thinking on their own stand designs!

I've mentioned this previously in another thread, but for the record here's my foray into stand design:

I had it made at a local plastics fabrication place from a rough drawing that I threw together. It's not very practical for gigging, as it doesn't fold down (for gigs I'm using an X-stand (ughhhh) with an On-Stage KSA8000 Deluxe Universal 2nd tier), but it's good for home due to it's low-profile, and looks kinda snazzy (I am biased, of course).

More details on it here .

#2509454 - 07/08/13 08:39 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mahinty]
stoken6 Offline
Platinum Member

My contribution to this thread is really "stand configuration" not "stand construction", but I thought it would be better not to start a new "customised stand" thread.

It starts with a no-name X stand (I know, I know). I added half a QuikLok QLX-1 second tier (just the uprights, not the supporting arms), turned upside down.
Image 1 Image 2

My lower-tier Oberheim MC1000 has pitch and mod wheels which I never use, so I unplugged the wheel "module" from the PCB and covered the gap with duct tape. I also removed the data wheel to lower the profile.
Image 3

My upper tier sits over the Oberheim on the the front edge, and the QuikLok arms at the back.
Image 4

I take it for its first flight on gigs Friday and Saturday.

Cheers, Mike.

Edited by stoken6 (07/08/13 08:40 AM)

#2515994 - 08/01/13 02:44 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: stoken6]
b3boy Offline
Platinum Member

Here's a little addition I did to my Quiklok Monolith stand.

I cut down the top tier height so to get closer between the two keyboards (unfortunately a 4oct board will not span between the arms so had to add a shelf).

Underneath, I added a shelf by cutting two holes at the back which allows it to slot over the uprights and rest between the legs. It's rock solid. I could even add a couple of Mackie SRM 150's if my laptops not in use.

Quiklok Monolith

#2516046 - 08/01/13 09:01 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: MuzikTeechur]
wjwilcox Offline
Gold Member

Loc: St. Louis, Missouri
Originally Posted By: muzikteechur
On the subject of modifications: I keep coming back to this X-Stand (horrors!) with a 2nd tier. *CLONK*
In stock form, the 2nd tier is ridiculously high, AND is perched almost directly over the lower keyboard. I needed it lower and back. A sawz-all cut the arms, and I used a drill press to drill holes for the stabilizing rod across the back (to lower it). Simple, effective.
And, yes, I use a simple safety strap in case of X-Stand Malfunction.
Only (minor) complaint is that there isn't a lot of foot room, and I use two sustain and two modulation pedals.
Stand sets up or folds up in less than 10 seconds. AND with the modification the 2nd tier is well back and lower.

I've done a similar modification for height with my On-Stage 2nd tier. How did you modify things to set the 2nd tier farther back? Any photos? Thanks!

#2516050 - 08/01/13 09:13 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: wjwilcox]
ThisSiteSucks Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Out of my mind
I'm curious, does anyone's bottom tier board slide around?

Why I ask is because I use a Yamaha YKA7500 Double X stand. It has little pads (2 front, 2 rear) that "lock" the keyboard in and prevents sliding.

Note: If you look this up on Amazon, the bottom picture is wrong! smile

#2516055 - 08/01/13 09:31 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: ThisSiteSucks]
Rusty Mike Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Central NJ
Originally Posted By: Rootstonian
I'm curious, does anyone's bottom tier board slide around?

Why I ask is because I use a Yamaha YKA7500 Double X stand. It has little pads (2 front, 2 rear) that "lock" the keyboard in and prevents sliding.

Note: If you look this up on Amazon, the bottom picture is wrong! smile

I had an issue with the feet on my Electro not lining up correctly with the horizontal parts of the x-stand I use for rehearsals. I fixed that purchasing some foam pipe insulation from the Home Depot. I bought the stuff with the adhesive along the edge, cut it to length, made cutouts for the "X" bracket connection and stuck them in place. Makes it real easy to just plop the keyboard onto the stand.

#2516381 - 08/02/13 10:35 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Rusty Mike]
Daddyg3042 Offline

Loc: Oregon
Wondering, Mate Stubb, now that you've had awhile to test things out, how are you liking the sliding upper tier design?

I'm in the middle of constructing mine. I mod'd my stand awhile back to have the 2nd board sit on the bottom one. Top board is stationary though, and when I saw your pics, it was like...I gotta have that!

I've got my basic design and some materials ready to go, but I'm still struggling with the "ski ramp" wedges that slide in the channel, mostly because they'll be "extra" pieces that I'll have to keep track of during setup, breakdown, packing, moving, etc. I've got this design down to two pieces that can be strapped together; the main stand, and the horizontal cross bar that the channels will be attached to (that will sit on the lower board). The channels will swing in to be parallel to the cross bar, making it effectively a 4" pole. Pretty easy to pack up.

I've looked at sliding ball bearing drawer hinges to use to move the upper board. They lay flat and could be concealed within the channel, thereby keeping the height down. The upper piece of the hinge could be attached to a slat/support that the keyboard sits on. It could all stay within the channel during moving, thereby no extra pieces. Problem is the amount of travel in the hinge is not adjustable enough, and there's no way to put stops in the hinge for a multiple position setup with the upper board. Seemed like a slick idea, but not proving too practical. Still looking at other possibilities.

I'd be interested to get your take on your channel/wedge/ski slope sliding hinge, and how it's working for you.

Edited by Daddyg3042 (08/03/13 09:23 AM)

#2516462 - 08/03/13 10:20 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Daddyg3042]
frogmonkey Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Vermont, USA
Moe, that is a really cool innovation! I'd also love to hear a report on how it's working for you.

#2516479 - 08/03/13 11:03 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: frogmonkey]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

I actually haven't had the opportunity to use it much yet. Since I came up with it, I have had one organ-only gig, and my normal band has been on hiatus.

I think in any case it's still a compromise to fit a 2 manual organ with a third board. I like Jim's rig a lot and one of these days will look into a single manual Mojo for the top, Privia for the bottom.

#2516481 - 08/03/13 11:22 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
Daddyg3042 Offline

Thanks for responding.

I'm only working with 2 manuals; XK2 on bottom and PC3 on top. The PC3 sits very nicely on the XK2's cheek blocks, but it needs to be positioned far back enough to get to drawbars/controls. I have to lean in/over to get to the PC3 keys, which isn't so comfortable. This slide idea is perfect, except for the fact that I'm now obsessed with it ; )

Just found this:

Looks promising. I like the idea of wood so that there's enough friction to prevent it from sliding around. The slide is almost 2" high though...more then I'd like.

The research continues.

#2525308 - 09/07/13 04:49 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Daddyg3042]
Daddyg3042 Offline

This post seems timely, given the recent, and ongoing, threads on stands, and the dissatisfaction many feel with what’s available off the shelf. It’s a bit of a long post, so bear with me.

My sliding upper tier stand is complete! Moe so inspired me that I’ve been on a mission to find the perfect slides for the upper tier. I wanted to post my results as this forum has been so helpful for me, and thought maybe it might inspire some, and assist others.

I built this sliding 2nd tier onto my X stand. I, like others here, have never had a problem with it, other then wanting more room for pedals, but I can make do. The stand has served me well for many, many years, and hundreds of gigs. It’s double braced, and I have the forum inspired safety strap just in case. I’ve used it for a 2 and 3 tier stand, so I know it can support the weight. I've purchased 2 upper tier add ons in the past, but was never satisfied. I was able to use one of them for this design. About a year and a half ago, I ditched both pre-made second tier attachments and built a stand where the upper board sat on the lower board. Think I've posted pics of it. Problem was the upper board was too far away from me, and I was too hunched over. At the end of the gig…my back/hips were so stiff, I could hardly stand after a set, hence the reason why this sliding design was so attractive. I used a U shaped 2nd tier for this design. While it was way too high to serve well as a 2nd (or 3rd tier), it worked perfectly for this. I cut it at just the right height to be level with the top of the XK2 (should also work if I upgrade to a XK3C) to make the slide channels level. It fits into the cross bars of the X stand and secures with a tightening knob.

I thought I'd found the perfect product made by a company called Accuride. Took a week, but I finally got a response from them. Unfortunately, it's a brand new product, and they couldn’t sell directly, i.e. had to go through a distributor/retail outlet. After waiting 2 more weeks, I found something comparable on eBay that looked close. I made an offer, and got them for $20 a piece. They’re an industrial ball bearing slides, and major heavy duty. Their description is : THK FBW/FBW2560R Linear Bearing Guide Slide Rail Pack 488mm. There’s 3 mounting plates per slide that are 1 5/8"x2 5/8"x1/16”. I thought I’d be mounting an aluminum bar to these that would run from front to back of the keyboard, which it would sit on. Turned out…I didn’t need to, and that prevented the addition of another 1/4-1/4" in height. While testing things out, I put some foam pieces onto the mounting plates and put the top keyboard on it. It was really secure and slid nicely.

Here are the slides:

Since the mounting plates are metal, I needed to secure some foam to them for padding. Again, to not add any more additional height, I used some foam underlay I had left over from doing some flooring; it’s this green, really tough foam/material, and is only about 1/8” high. I used contact cement to secure it, and figured I’d paint it or something.
Here they are in their ugliness, but you can also see how the channel sits on the end caps of the XK2. I used the same green foam to pad the underside and protect the wood underneath:

I mounted the channels on a 2x2 aluminum square tube that I bought from a steel shop here in town for $10, plus $2 for end caps. I used a standard threaded bolt through the full tube to give it strength. Drilling through the slide's channels was difficult, as the metal was really hard. I don’t have a drill press, so had to do it with a hand drill. Took 20 min. of continuous drilling per side, but I finally broke though.

I drilled a 1” hole in the bottom of the square aluminum tube, which accepts the top of the 2nd tier support snugly, and is a really quick and easy assembly. The 2nd tier "upgrights" can stay attached to the X stand during transport. I do need to remove the square horizontal bar for transport, but the channels both swivel back onto the square bar, making it basically one “pole” that’s the 2nd piece of the stand now. I bought some Velcro straps to secure the “pole” to the X stand, so it’s really easily transportable.

Here's the stand with the 2nd tier uprights, horizontal bar, and slides swiveled back onto the tube:

And here it's ready for transport:

Thus far, everything was going really well, except the slides slid a little too easily. I was concerned the board would move around while playing. That worked itself out as the bottom of the top keyboard, a PC3, had rubber bumpers on it. Turns out, when they’re positioned inside the slide channel, they stop the PC3 from moving once in place, yet with some slight upward pressure the board slides nicely. Pretty easy to do in between songs, and even during them.

I bought some liquid rubber at the hardware store, and dipped just the top of the mounting plates where the green foam is cemented, and voila….it’s now black and grips the underside of the board even better. I did the same thing underneath so the tracks grip the wood on the XK2. I also made some end caps for the slide with this. I folded paper around the end of the channels, and wrapped them in Saran wrap, dipped, and now have some custom end caps! I did some other cosmetic things to it as well that I won’t bore you with, but I’ll tell you…liquid rubber is da schitt!

Here’s how they turned out; I sort of swirled the rubber as it was drying to give it even more grab:

One last thing, the X stand is not quite stable enough for two boards that are offset. In the past, I used another set of legs to prevent the board from tipping over backwards. For this design, I extended the rear “feet” of the X stand about 6” by simple using round tubing. I joined the X stand to the extension by using a smaller diameter 6” piece of tube inside the stand, then adding a 6” tube of the same diameter as the stand, i.e. X stand tube female to 6” tube male to 6” tube female. Very secure, and you can’t even tell unless you’re really looking.

Here's how far it extend out:

Two more shots of the boards with PC3 pushed back, and then pulled in closer. It can actually be pulled directly over the XK2 if all I'm doing is piano/epiano, etc:

And one showing the distance between the boards...it's less then 1":

So….all told, I spent around $60, and about a day & a half of actual work. I've put both boards on it, slid it around vigorously, sort of rocked it back & forth. It's very stable. I think I finally have something that is gonna work, and I'm pretty stoked. It'll make it's maiden voyage on a gig tomorrow.

So...thanks so much for the inspiration, Moe. Sorry for being somewhat long winded as well.

#2525338 - 09/07/13 07:44 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Daddyg3042]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

Please report back on how it did at the gig!

#2525413 - 09/08/13 06:04 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
Dglavko Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the post Daddy - how'd it go on the gig?

#2525573 - 09/08/13 06:35 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Dglavko]
Daddyg3042 Offline

Just got back. The gig went really well, thanks. Stand was super easy to setup, very stable, and did what it's supposed to do. I'm a happy camper.

#2525576 - 09/08/13 07:01 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Daddyg3042]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

taz thu

#2529916 - 09/23/13 08:31 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

OK, I finally came up with a solution that I like. Hammer action on bottom, all keys as close as possible so that I can reach everything.

I'm reversing my slides and putting them on the bottom so that the PX will slide out a couple inches to reveal the panel when needed. Now to get building on the stand.

#2529937 - 09/23/13 09:32 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
theGman Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Parts Unknown, Virginia
Thank you guys for this thread; getting some great ideas for my 2-board stand project.

I currently am very, very happy with my Spider Pro...can't find any down side for it, but I just personally don't like the looks of it with the 2 boards all set up; looks too much like a Fokker D7 biplane. That's what I get for being a WW I fan!

I bought this stand used, and it's the silver one; the black one probably wouldn't have looked like it's ready to take off.

More likely than not, this is just an excuse to build something over the winter season.

Paul

#2529945 - 09/23/13 10:05 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: theGman]
JeffLearman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
I think you should gig with the books. Makes you look like, educated or something. laugh

#2529986 - 09/23/13 11:30 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: JeffLearman]
keyguy Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Tallahassee, FL
I was setting up my Spider in a bar several years ago and a customer asked me if it was some new type of musical instrument. I told him it was a new type of saxophone. Bought the story totally. He had had a few, though...I think they look cool, FWIW. Mine is silver, as well.

www.pureplatinumband.com

#2530084 - 09/23/13 03:51 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: keyguy]
theGman Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Parts Unknown, Virginia
^^^ right; from one perspective, compared to an X stand, they do look cool. I think they are the best looking ones out there, I just have a problem with the biplane look.

I have been thinking of designing a simple dark cloth rectangle "shade" to hang from the top board down to just above the floor to make it appear solid from the audience.

#2531778 - 09/29/13 06:36 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: theGman]
OB Dave Offline
Gold Member

Loc: San Diego CA, US
So, this thread has been rattling around in my head for awhile. Awhile back I bought the K&M 18950 and some accessories, as described here. What's nice about this stand and the accessories is that there are lots of ways to configure it. But once you have the stand configured, all the knobs and such get to be rather fussy. And the tubing used on the second tier supports has a very large diameter, and this diameter limits how low the upper key board can be. My thought was, what if I welded up something super simple that was just the right height, so no adjustments possible, and make it out of smaller tubing so the keyboards can be closer together?

For larger gigs I use a Stage 2 compact for pianos and synth, and then an SK-1 up above for organ. I would like to have the organ manual as low and as far forward 99% of the time, but be able to slide it back occasionanly to access the Nord's control panel. So I've been very interested in what Mate Stubb and Daddyg3042 are doing with the sliding top layer. I'm thinking of doing something similar but much simpler. Instead of having an actual sliding mechanism, just have a long flat surface that I can slide the SK-1 back and forth on. The trick will be to find a material to put on top of the bar that provides enough friction to hold the board in place, but not so much that the board is too difficult to slide backwards. Rubber strips might do it.

Awhile back I bought a ten-foot length of rectangular steel tubing, and I had a couple free hours this afternoon and decided to have a go at it with a mig welder.

Here are the upper bars. Not much to it, really:

Here's what they look like when slid into the accessory slots on the K&M and the set screws tightened down:

Here's what the access looks like with the SK-1 slid all the way back:

And here's a side view with it slid forward.

I wasn't sure how stable this long span was going to be, but it seems pretty sturdy. I don't like the height, though, and when I get a few more free hours I'ma weld up a new one where the upper support bars just barely clear the Stage 2's controls.

#2531804 - 09/29/13 08:56 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: OB Dave]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

Looks great. Caution, once you start building stands, you start obsessing about getting every little 1/4" of slack out of the design!

#2531866 - 09/30/13 04:36 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
brucie808 Offline

I went a slightly different way with my stand construction. I wanted something that would look more organ like on stage. So I went for an all wood stand that has space for a bit of artwork on the front (particularly good when the drummer is using someone else's kit and so we don't have the band logo on the kick drum).

It folds flat but is still quite large so not the easiest to transport. But on the plus side, it hides the fact that I'm just playing a controller keyboard (Novation Launchkey 61) and a V-Machine running VB3 which wouldn't look that great on stage. So it does a bit of 'smoke and mirrors' to give the impression that I'm playing a real organ.
[img:center]http://instagram.com/p/e4g5bDvcp_/#[/img] [img:center]http://instagram.com/p/e4g2Lwvcp6/#[/img]

#2532042 - 09/30/13 01:27 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
OB Dave Offline
Gold Member

Caution, once you start building stands, you start obsessing about getting every little 1/4" of slack out of the design!

Hahahaha, so true. Well, I actually decided to give myself an extra 1/4" of margin because I'm not that great a welder. Who knows, this thing may sag after awhile. But I banged out another set at lunch and I'm pretty happy with it. It probably brings the SK-1 down about 2 inches from where it was using the K&M upper tier. I'll try it out at tonight's gig. For now I'm just using 3M bumpon rubber feet.

Edited by OB Dave (09/30/13 01:29 PM)

#2532194 - 10/01/13 06:34 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: OB Dave]
Baldwin Funster Offline
Has been warned....
Platinum Member

I guess you wont be tweaking the Nords controls mid song.

#2532205 - 10/01/13 07:42 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Baldwin Funster]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

Not necessarily. It looks perfectly playable in that position, it's just that it will be more comfortable snugged up when tweaking is not needed.

#2532224 - 10/01/13 08:59 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
Losendoskeys Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: West Sussex, UK
As requested here's my new gig stand for the SK2 and XP30 - from my other thread.
Made from ply and coated a la speaker cabinets with textured black.

#2532242 - 10/01/13 09:58 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Losendoskeys]
Sparky2 Offline

Loc: B'more, MD
I'm drooling over this one. Looks like I may have a new winter project. Unfortunately I'd like it to be large enough/strong enough for a PC3x on the bottom. Which handles fit the plywood thickness like that? Thanks for sharing.
Mark

Life is shorter than you think...make it count.

#2532271 - 10/01/13 11:06 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Baldwin Funster]
OB Dave Offline
Gold Member

You know, it wasn't bad! I gigged with it last night and it was fantastic! When the upper keyboard is too high, I find the arms-forward-zombie-walk-brains!-brains! playing position really uncomfortable. The SK-1 was the most comfortable to play since I got it.

When I need to access a Nord control, just slide the SK-1 back. At the time I was welding it up I wondered if i was going to want to add a "catch" at the rear so I don't accidentally push the SK-1 back too far, but last night I realized the mic attachment serves that purpose. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

#2532287 - 10/01/13 11:53 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
The Real MC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

OK, I finally came up with a solution that I like. Hammer action on bottom, all keys as close as possible so that I can reach everything.

I'm reversing my slides and putting them on the bottom so that the PX will slide out a couple inches to reveal the panel when needed. Now to get building on the stand.

That's the arrangement I settled on. Weighted controller seems to work best on the bottom tier.

#2532477 - 10/02/13 06:15 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Sparky2]
Losendoskeys Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Sparky2
I'm drooling over this one. Looks like I may have a new winter project. Unfortunately I'd like it to be large enough/strong enough for a PC3x on the bottom. Which handles fit the plywood thickness like that? Thanks for sharing.
Mark

Sorry - missed this.
The shelves are reinforced with a batten underneath.
The case handles are into 12mm ply - seems most would suit:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/370882154...4=83&ff19=0

R
Alan

#2533006 - 10/03/13 08:17 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Losendoskeys]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

I finished my stand finally. I cut and recut a lot of aluminum pipe to get the ergonomics as perfect as possible. The stand is tall enough that I can stand and play organ comfortably, or sit on a high bench (27") to reach everything. With the cross bracing it is rigid as heck.

The bottom crosspiece also serves to hold the pedal board in place.

I moved the slides to the front and reverse angled the piano so that everything is a comfortable reach.

PX out:

PX in:

#2533042 - 10/04/13 02:17 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
Losendoskeys Offline
Platinum Member

Nice! Looks totally bombproof.
When are you doing the production version? wink

#2533051 - 10/04/13 04:23 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Losendoskeys]
Joe BrokeIt Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Damn, Moe. That looks awesome. How much will they retail for? wink

#2533236 - 10/04/13 01:47 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Joe BrokeIt]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: thin ice
Originally Posted By: Joe Muscara
Damn, Moe. That looks awesome. How much will they retail for? wink

I believe I would be purchasing one for sure, but I want the limited edition autographed series. wink

#2533237 - 10/04/13 01:55 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: davedoerfler]
Toano88 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Toano, Virginia, USA
Very nice!

#2533248 - 10/04/13 02:35 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Toano88]
FunkKeyStuff Offline
Platinum Member

Having tried in vain to find a way to gig with my Mojo stacked over my PX-5, I salute you, sir!

#2533257 - 10/04/13 03:45 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Moe, that is simply fantastic. Nice work!

#2533277 - 10/04/13 05:47 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: EscapeRocks]
ITGITC? Offline
Grand Poobah of Posting
10k Club

Loc: USA
Pretty Schweeeeet. thu

#2533280 - 10/04/13 05:53 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: ITGITC?]
The Real MC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Spotted the Chroma in the background

#2533285 - 10/04/13 06:17 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: The Real MC]
OB Dave Offline
Gold Member

Wow, that looks fantastic! How difficult is breakdown and setup?

#2533297 - 10/04/13 07:39 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: OB Dave]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

The T connectors have set screws where they are supposed to remain clamped, and knobs where they are going to release.

It takes maybe 2 minutes to break it down to a pile of tubes, and 3 minutes to set up. Not as fast as whipping out an X stand, but fast enough for me.

I've been building my stands this way since the 80s. This one is definitely a bit more elaborate. It's super light weight however.

#2533567 - 10/05/13 11:16 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
BluesB3 Offline

Loc: just north of Shakeytown
I have a stand design I have used for over 20 years, that I have been meaning to post about. My current rig reconfiguration has caused me to mod it again, so here is some blather.

It is built mostly from a USS Apache 3 tier A frame I bought and used in the mid 80s. All the tubes, thumbscrews, and joints are original. I've added my own pieces over the years, and it's become an erector set.

Looking at Mate's stand and thinking about the lack of Apache parts and hardware today, I was wondering if something similar could be made from small Hollaender speedrail speedrail?

#2533597 - 10/06/13 07:56 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: BluesB3]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

Probably. It looks heavy and expensive however. I should emphasize how extremely light those ultimate tubes are. My whole stand assembled weighs less than 10 lbs.

Fortunately you can still get tubes and connectors from the lighting stand companies.

#2533605 - 10/06/13 08:16 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
Joe BrokeIt Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

I had a bunch of Ultimate tube stuff but unloaded it a number of years ago. The connectors were all breaking, though.

#2533622 - 10/06/13 09:14 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Joe BrokeIt]
Theo Verelst Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

A while ago I've been

testing the strength of and

gathering up/saving various kinds of (cheap) materials

to make this over-a-decade working keyboard stand (there's a picture in my posts somewhere) a two tier one:

Beechwood glued panels are now available at the common hardware store, and can be pretty strong, also the length of a keyboard, contrary to chipboard.

Of course wing-nuts can be obtained or , but even securing a bolt on one side of a construction can be hard to get done as well as Ikea can. So making it out of detachable parts isn't easy, and even bringing a screw-driver to a session would probably wear out the screw connections in a short while.

So last time I visited a big DIY store they had scaffolding parts available per piece. Not very cheap, but they did give me confidence I could take a small tube metal the length of 88 keys keyboard, bolt it to some freaky side-parts, and sit right on the middle part of it, without anything giving a millimeter. Of course, substituting the standardized pipes by something more modern like aluminum-alloy, or even say a very flat U-profile to support the length of a keyboard immediately makes it weak and hard to put together.

So making a nice looking, light and functionally strong construction in the age of carbon-fiber getting out dated *should* be do-able, but without drilling/tapping into specialist circles isn't easy.

T.

#2536299 - 10/16/13 04:25 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Theo Verelst]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

Got my bench made. Since my rig is almost standing height, I needed a tall one (about 27").

I have a new Roc n Soc, but don't like it for this application because it locks you into 1 position, and I find myself wanting to slide back and forth playing piano or organ.

So I bought a cheapie On-Stage X bench and modified it. To get extra height, and because no X stands are allowed in MoeVille, I splayed the legs and added extra bracing and a foot rest.

Everything comes apart with wing nuts like the keyboard stand.

Now on to the pedal board, and I'm done!

#2539122 - 10/26/13 11:33 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

The pedal board is coming along but wiring isn't done. It has a lid for transport that doubles as a raised platform to bring it higher for a more natural position. I can also just comfortably keep my feet out of the way when standing to play organ.

There are 3 pedals in the middle for the PX, leslie on the left and organ swell on the right, 2 line lumps, a Midi Solutions box, and power.

#2539125 - 10/27/13 02:31 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
Six-string-man Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: U.K.
Moe, you must be an engineering genius! I could never do anything like that, not in a month of Sundays.

I stand in awe! Hats off to you Sir.

SSM

#2539146 - 10/27/13 07:21 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mahinty]
DanS Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Montréal

We call it the Pinocchio...

MOXF8, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Daniel-Steckos-Blunt-Instruments/556480307717684

#2540803 - 11/02/13 09:02 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: DanS]
MuzikTeechur Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Kittery, Maine
Well, it was only a matter of time, but I have to bring up the dreaded (and widely derided) X-Stand.
As I've said many times on this forum, I own MANY keyboard stands. Every time someone gives a positive review of a new (or old) stand, I have to go out and buy one. It's an illness.
It would be refreshing if we could find a stand that didn't have SOME sort of compromise.
I keep coming back to this On-Stage "Heavy Duty" 2-tier x-stand.
($80 at MF): X-Stand at MF *CLONK*
Pros:
* It has a small footprint
* It's strong as Hell
* It only takes one trip to schlep in, and leaves a second hand to carry something else
* It takes about 30 seconds to setup/tear down
* It's fairly light
Cons:
* It's an X-Stand
* Not a lot of foot area for foot controllers/pedals
* There's always that potential for "Catastrophic X-Stand Failure"
* The 2nd tier is WAY out of position (see below)
* It's an X-Stand.

With the On-Stage brand, the 2nd Tier is RIDICULOUSLY high, and AWKWARDLY forward. More like bunk-beds than a useable, comfortable 2nd tier -- bunk beds for really tall kids. When using this stock setup, I would have to actually pull my hand back, and then move it WAY up to access the top keyboard, rather than just moving up to the upper board. Horrible design.

Stock Stand:

Luckily, when I bought this from MF, they didn't send the "crossbar" that reinforces the upper arms and keeps them from racking, so when I called them to complain they just sent an entire upper "kit" with new arms. So, since I had two sets of upper tier arms, I wasn't afraid to get out the sawz-all and do some modifying.
First, I cut the uprights - not sure how much (4"?), but I cut them at the original hole for the cross bar. Then, I used my drill press to drill new holes for the uprights, and for the cross bar. Can't remember exact measurements but I did put my lower keyboard on the stand and placed the upper arms where I wanted them before drilling. Then I measured and cut holes for the cross bar. (unfortunately, this put the crossbar at the exact height of the input/output jacks on the lower keyboard, so that might be a consideration for you).
All that was left was to pop out the little "stops" at the end of the upper arms, cut them back about 4", and put the stops back in the holes.
This brought the upper keyboard down about 4", and back about 4". MUCH better position.

I lost one of the top "caps", but a little work with a file cleans up those sharp edges in no time.
I still bang my shins sometimes when I go for a pedal, but this is great when stage space is limited. I prefer my Standtastic 2-tier, but the footprint is enormous.
So, that's it: don't be afraid to modify your stand to suit YOUR needs!
p.s. Pictures in my garage. That's the beer fridge in the background, currently full of tasty Sam Adams' Octoberfest!

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, Music History, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

#2544996 - 11/19/13 12:40 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: MuzikTeechur]
wmp Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: MA
I finally got the first piece of my first stand built. Nothing fancy, just a dolly for the B3 so it's easy to roll around the room.

The next step is the carpeted clamp blocks to secure the organ to the dolly with tee nuts and 3/8" bolts. That'll all serve as the foundation for the case. I don't intend to gig with it, but I do hope to move soon. So far, none of the little nicks are mine and I want to keep it that way. The case is being designed to stay on at all times because I'm old and clumsy. It's so pretty I'm afraid of it.

It rolls around nicely on six 2 1/2" wheels. There are two additional lengthwise supports underneath to catch a piano dolly for real moving. It's also got oak skids along the front and rear so it can slide easily over a tailgate or top step.

I'm not a big fan of the Roll'n'Kari organ dollies. I'd rather use a piano dolly and 2" cotton straps.

#2547069 - 11/27/13 08:14 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: wmp]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

My pedal board is giggable now, although I still have not hooked up midi.

Packed up:

Ready to go. From left to right - slow motor switch for mojo sim; volume, pedal 2, pedal 1 for PX-5S; swell pedal and kick switch for fast motor mojo sim.

I figured out a better way to wire the 2 leslie switches. Instead of brake (which I hate), the kick switch always does tremolo, and the separate switch just turns the slow motors off. It's more like switching between a single speed and dual speed leslie.

The 2 Midi Solutions boxes in the back are for injecting midi from an iPad and the control pedal into the PX-5S.

#2547080 - 11/27/13 09:11 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
Dglavko Offline
Gold Member

Nice!!

Does your stand fold down at all?

I imagine something similar could be constructed from plumbers' ABS plastic piping and might have a go at that.

#2547084 - 11/27/13 09:21 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Dglavko]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

The stand doesn't fold, but comes apart with thumbscrews into a bunch of pipes to be transported in a bag.

#2547085 - 11/27/13 09:23 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
Dglavko Offline
Gold Member

Brilliant!

Assembly time?

#2547088 - 11/27/13 09:28 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Dglavko]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

Maybe 3-4 minutes to assemble the stand. The whole rig can go up in 10-15 minutes. I could do better than that with some custom jack panels in the rack.

#2547135 - 11/27/13 11:52 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Maybe 3-4 minutes to assemble the stand. The whole rig can go up in 10-15 minutes. I could do better than that with some custom jack panels in the rack.

Moe,

Making the jack panel for my rack saved lots of time and headaches at setup. Somewhere around here there's some pics.
I got everything from Redco: pre punched single space panel, 1/4", XLR, MIDI jacks, and custom engraved jack labels.
That and the snake I had them make me turned wiring up a 30 second affair.

#2547137 - 11/27/13 12:01 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: EscapeRocks]
Tonysounds Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
Or...you could hardwire your snake to the rack (bind it after connection to rack is made to the side rails), and then roll the snake up INTO the rack for transport.

That's what I do.

#2547161 - 11/27/13 01:06 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Tonysounds]
Losendoskeys Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: tonysounds
Or...you could hardwire your snake to the rack (bind it after connection to rack is made to the side rails), and then roll the snake up INTO the rack for transport.

That's what I do.

This-ish^^^^^

#2547202 - 11/27/13 02:48 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Losendoskeys]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

I have some very nice, very expensive Elco connectors that I am not using. They would make an excellent snake termination at the rack.

#2547723 - 11/29/13 03:14 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
Joe Tee Offline

My collapsable B3 facade project. The legs pull out in seconds and I can carry the upper section by myself. When the stage size allows, this gives my SK2 a "classic" look. I used my 1957 B3 as a model and adjusted the size. I gave the finish a distressed look. I can make these furniture grade or in colors. Lid lifts to access the back connection of the SK.

[img:center]http://
B Cab Empty by keyzn6, on Flickr[/img] [img:center]http://
B Cab WIth SK2 by keyzn6, on Flickr[/img] [img:center]http://
B Cab Ready For Transport by keyzn6, on Flickr[/img] [img:center]http://
B Cab Lid Open 2 by keyzn6, on Flickr[/img]

#2547735 - 11/29/13 04:34 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Joe Tee]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

Very nice!

#2554004 - 12/22/13 11:50 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
miden Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
Had a breakdown of my old modified(to hold an iPad as well as keys) Proel stand at yesterdays gig. I do have a K&M Spider (single) but I really had no way to mount an iPad to it, so it was left to gather dust in the corner..but the breakdown caused me to re-try a solution.

I also have a Hercules iPad holder that attaches to a mic stand, but being basically lazy when it comes to setup/breakdown I abhor having to much to lug, so I never used it either really.

However the Hercules also comes with a deskmount stand and with some out of the square thinking, I came up with a solution to mount the iPad to the K&M in what I reckon is a pretty neat and tidy config...pictures follow:

#2555783 - 12/29/13 06:45 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: miden]
Losendoskeys Offline
Platinum Member

Update!

#2557872 - 01/04/14 12:29 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Losendoskeys]
Losendoskeys Offline
Platinum Member

And now from the audience POV:

#2557886 - 01/04/14 12:59 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Joe Tee]
Michael Wright Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Joe Tee
My collapsable B3 facade project[/url]

That is nice! thu

#2560462 - 01/11/14 01:59 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Michael Wright]
High Diving Act Online   content

Loc: Waterloo Ontario Canada
There is a ton of unused space on my VR700. I had a clear picture of how I could use it and house most of the gear I need at an arms reach. This is why I really felt the Korg Microstation would make a nice sonic and logistic addition to my rig. Here is what I did.

Step 1. Cut down 2 metal cloths hangers.

Step 2. Bend to size and fasten to existing music stand mounts

Step 3. Affix a bit of duct tap to protect hood of board and a bit more just to make sure nothing moves

Step 4. Place microstation on racks

Still enough space on left side for a minivent and an Ipad on the right! lol

Edited by High Diving Act (01/11/14 09:41 PM)
www.mclovinmusic.com
Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Kronos 61, Alesis Vortex, Casio 6500

#2560659 - 01/12/14 12:07 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: High Diving Act]
Jazzmammal Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, CA
Guys, I've been watching this thread for months and love every bit of it. So many cool and very creative ideas here.

Bob

#2560661 - 01/12/14 12:10 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Jazzmammal]
Brettymike Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Auckland , New Zealand
I'll be honest , I don't like that coat hanger wire idea at all.

Brett

#2560678 - 01/12/14 01:12 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Brettymike]
High Diving Act Online   content

Loc: Waterloo Ontario Canada
Lol.. It's not for the faint of heart. I am actually a project manager for a metal fabrication and plastic injection molding facility. I was actually going to construct something much more rigid... But it would be heavier and frankly overkill for a board as lightweight as the microstation. I thought I would take a more minimalistic and lightweight approach first. I created something similar for my vk8m which worked perfectly for years.. My contraption is virtually invisible on stage. I've been pounding on the keys for 2 days now.. Thing is solid. The only thing I may add is a bit of Velcro to the front of the microstation.

Originally Posted By: Brettymike
I'll be honest , I don't like that coat hanger wire idea at all.

Brett
www.mclovinmusic.com
Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Kronos 61, Alesis Vortex, Casio 6500

#2560752 - 01/12/14 06:40 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: High Diving Act]
ADino Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: South Florida
I bought a Stukture Aluminium stand..you know, the ones that
dont actually go low enough to sit n play?
I was actually able to drill a hole in it without blowing the thing up.
Perfect sitting height n a joy to carry around.

#2566038 - 01/27/14 04:58 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: ADino]
#%$(# Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Orlando, Florida
Someone posted this the PX-5S group.. thought it was worth a share..

http://www.core77.com/blog/furniture_des...wilco_25195.asp

#2587320 - 04/07/14 02:46 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Dglavko]
ballatman Offline

Loc: South Lanarkshire, Scotland
After the comment by Dglavko and inspired by Moe and all the other talented stand builders on the forum, I consulted my local plumbers merchant with a view to designing and building a three tier stand from ABS plastic piping.
After much measuring I constructed two stepped side frames made from pipes cut to size and using 90 degree angle and tee joints.
Three crossbars of pipe joined the sides together but although fine for the weight support, there was too much side flexing so I replaced the crosspipes with flat aluminium bars.The stand is now rigid in all directions and very light.Some antislip matting and a bit of padding brings everything into line and after eight gigs everything is still rock solid and my boards are in perfect position for me.

#2587343 - 04/07/14 03:52 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: ballatman]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

What are the notches for in the aluminum X braces?

#2587451 - 04/08/14 03:49 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
ballatman Offline

The notches on the crossbars locate into the bolts on the opposite upright pipe for transporting the stand.
The bottom bolts of the crossbars are through holes in the bar and fixed permanently to the uprights by nyloc nuts. The top of the bar is a notch or slot which slides onto the top bolt.
(see pics)
I originally had the front spars done this way too but had to give up on that as there was not enough knee room so I had to relocate the bottom bolts to the middle upright instead of the front one, so these now detach completely. Hope this answers your question.

#2587509 - 04/08/14 07:11 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: ballatman]
rickzjamm Offline
Gold Member

Sturdy?

#2587511 - 04/08/14 07:11 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: ballatman]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

Looks good! You might consider painting those cross braces black so that they will disappear more on stage.

#2587606 - 04/08/14 10:49 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
ballatman Offline

Very sturdy rickzjamm, in every direction.

-----------------------------------------
Thanks Moe.
I had mentioned to our guitarist last gig that I might paint them but he says he likes them silver and as he gets the gigs
maybe I'll leave them. LoL!

Edited by ballatman (04/08/14 10:51 AM)

#2587629 - 04/08/14 12:18 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Baldwin Funster]
OB Dave Offline
Gold Member

I guess now that this thread is alive again it's time for an update.

I bought a pair of the slide bearings that Daddyg3042 recommended and they're quite nice. Each bearing is a steel U-channel and has three "cars" that ride inside the U-channel using continuous bearings. Made in Japan, they used really high quality steel with very little play or slop and very smooth action. So I busted out the MIG and welded up a new set of second tier supports. I used a cutoff wheel to shorten the channel length, and I'm using two "cars" per channel, with a narrow strip of 16ga steel bridged between the cars. This is what the keyboard sits on. I thought I might need Velcro but I've been getting by with just some 3M silicone rubber "bumpon" feet for traction. I also thought I may need to mung up the track to create some additional friction in the slid-in position, but that hasn't really been an issue either. I've had to modify my organ technique only slightly to keep from pushing the upper board away from me while playing it. As you can hopefully see in the photos, the only Stage 2 controls that are obscured right now are the organ draw buttons (not an issue because when using this setup I'm using the SK-1 for organs), and some of the effect controls.

While I was at it, I also welded up a thing to hold the iPad and have switched over to using OnSong. So now I have no music stand or mic stand, everything attaches to the keyboard stand.

I'm happy enough with the concept that I've ordered up some more slide bearings and when I get some free time will fabricate a set that support the upper keyboard from above the sides instead of underneath the bottom. I think I should be able to set it up such that I'll have easy access to all the controls.

upper keyboard slid forward:

upper keyboard slid back:

reverse angle shot.

and a vid:

#2587633 - 04/08/14 12:42 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: OB Dave]
Pa Gherkin Offline
Gold Member

OB Dave,looks like your usual meticulous work on the stand,but please clue us in about that fascinating looking baby Leslie. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is highly intrigued by it. If you are worried about hijacking this thread you could start another one telling us about this very cool looking box. Thanks.

#2587685 - 04/08/14 03:45 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Pa Gherkin]
OB Dave Offline
Gold Member

Ha, well the baby Leslie was built for me in 2002 by David Tarantolo in Metarie LA. He calls it the Spin Doctor and it's serial number 001. Dunno how many he's made. I've never seen another one like it. It uses a stock 147 amp, upper rotor and horn driver. The lower driver is a 12 instead of a 15, and I'm not sure where he sourced the lower rotor from. I was skeptical about the 12 but speaker technology has come a long way since the 1950s and this 12 puts out plenty of low end, at least as much as my 145s. The cabinet is 26" x 24" x 19" and has an integrated luggage-style retracting handle and wheels, and fits easily in the back of a Prius.

The motors are old single-speed motors with a Hamptone two-speed conversion kit. I have a couple extra two-speed motor stacks, but they won't fit in the cabinet. At one point I was going to repackage the guts of the Speakeasy preamp to fit inside the cabinet and that was too tight a squeeze also. I even designed a circuit board to switch Leslie speeds via MIDI or footpedal before abandoning the project. But I did manage to mount some Sennheiser e604 drum mics to the inside, which speeds up setup and teardown a bit.

#2587694 - 04/08/14 04:07 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: OB Dave]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

There were some leslies with 12" woofers and rotors that were built into certain organs. They ran full range. I've got one of those rotors in my basement and will probably build a tiny leslie like that some day.

#2587759 - 04/08/14 09:25 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
OB Dave Offline
Gold Member

Oh that's true. My first Leslie was an 825 - it was an awful thing. Solid state amp, and one 12" full range driver firing into a styrofoam rotor. Now that you mention it, I think this rotor may have come out of some home organ with an internal Leslie.

#2592171 - 04/24/14 10:42 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: OB Dave]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

I've reconfigured my stand for the "minimal acceptable rig." The mixer and Vent will mount on a small board or in a small box to eliminate the rack. I should be able to get it down to 2 carry trips or 1 dolly trip.

#2592226 - 04/25/14 06:35 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
Joe BrokeIt Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Your use of those tubes makes me regret getting rid of what I had a few years ago. I could have kept them and built something similar.

#2592229 - 04/25/14 06:51 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
Mogut Offline
Platinum Member

Ok that second tier pad idea is excellent! How does it attach to the two vertical posts though? Its not loose is it?

#2592231 - 04/25/14 07:10 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Mogut]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Greg Gallant
Ok that second tier pad idea is excellent! How does it attach to the two vertical posts though? Its not loose is it?

No, there are sockets that the posts sit in, and also holes for the feet of the organ. It's lightweight and pretty darn rigid.

Edited by mate_stubb (04/25/14 07:13 AM)

#2592250 - 04/25/14 08:50 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I've reconfigured my stand for the "minimal acceptable rig." The mixer and Vent will mount on a small board or in a small box to eliminate the rack. I should be able to get it down to 2 carry trips or 1 dolly trip.

yeah so that kicks ass

#2592609 - 04/26/14 09:34 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: EscapeRocks]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

This is kinda OT, but I don't want to start a new thread about it. Here is the beginnings of my MiniRack for my MiniRig (tm). It's a small box, with the top holding the 4 line lumps powering everything, and the bottom holding a tiny mixer and Vent.

The idea is that it will mount right at the bass end of the organ, and be handy for on the fly EQ, volume, and FX adjustments.

The only other things I will be carrying are bench, speaker, and cable bag.

#2625491 - 09/06/14 02:52 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
Jazzmammal Offline
Platinum Member

I finally got around to taking some pics of the wooden stand I built for my SK1 and FA06. To B3 in another thread just asked me for pics so I decided to post them here.

Originally Posted By: To B3
Bob, i'd like to see some pics of that case if it's possible, as I'm thinking of building one for my Nord Electro/VR09 combo. Is it portable? How much does it weight and what do you do to keep the panel visible?

Your wish is my command...

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-hTKC2...5928195_HDR.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-8iUrV...0_135456387.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-VM7Bd...0_135557775.jpg

Here is my high tech transport system with the FA06 on the bottom of the case wrapped in a towel:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-AD4PS...9_144516752.jpg

Here it is at a gig:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-D0pKO...5_220209011.jpg

This is basically a prototype. The top piece is a leftover piece of scrap. I'll probably spring for another sheet of ply and make that top piece wider. I'm also using 1/4" oak for the sides and back. It's actually pretty strong because of the inside glued and nailgunned bracing. I might glue another piece of something on each end just to make it look thicker.

If you look closely you'll see the top piece slides back and forth depending if I want the SK1 keys to be directly above the FA06 keys or if I need access to the FA's controls. I also took Tonysounds' very good advice and created a cable snake and pedal board. All the stuff on the floor is velcro'd to the board and the whole thing fits into another old 36" keyboard bag I've had laying around for years. I can carry the wood case with the FA in it back and forth to the car and the SK1 is in it's own soft case. The last gig I actually beat the drummer out the door for the first time ever. About 20 minutes for a complete tear down and on the road.

As for the weight it's nothing. Maybe 15 pounds at the most. I also have both power supplies inside the case against the back and they stay there for transport. I just put a small towel between the back of the FA and the power supplies.

Like I said this is just a prototype, there's lots of little things I would do differently if I decide to build another one or modify this one. One thing I will do is build a separate base for it and not use the stand in these pics.

Bob

#2625494 - 09/06/14 03:19 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Jazzmammal]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

That's really nice. Good work, Bob.

#2625515 - 09/06/14 09:08 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: EscapeRocks]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

thu Looks nice on stage too.

#2626140 - 09/09/14 09:06 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
To B3 Offline
Gold Member

Bob, that's beautiful and very similar to what I have in mind. Actually, the top piece being removable or as a lid that can be opened is my dilema. But your casing was an inspiration as the many others, thanks for sharing. smile

#2626142 - 09/09/14 09:30 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: To B3]
Jazzmammal Offline
Platinum Member

Right now it's just sitting there, held only by weight. On the inside edges you'll see a lip and that's what it slides on. I sanded the bottom edge smooth and sprayed some silicone on it but I actually put too much, the thing was slip, slidin away so I sanded some of it off. I was going to attach it somehow but I like removing it to plug everything in or out. There's always surprises, on the back note the 3" notch in the top of the wood. I was planning on running all the cables through the bottom notch that's harder to see and then out the top notch to the SK1 but the angle or something is wrong and they bind when I slide it back and forth so in one pic you can see the SK1 cables are hanging down on the outside while the FA cables go through the bottom notch.

Construction is pretty simple and basic, but I do have some power tools, if you want to know the details feel free to PM me.

Bob

#2626172 - 09/10/14 03:55 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Jazzmammal]
Adam Burgess Offline

Quick photo from my post in the Gibraltar stand thread...

Love it!

#2626295 - 09/10/14 01:20 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Jazzmammal]
Bif_ Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Indiana
Originally Posted By: Jazzmammal
I finally got around to taking some pics of the wooden stand I built for my SK1 and FA06. To B3 in another thread just asked me for pics so I decided to post them here.

Originally Posted By: To B3
Bob, i'd like to see some pics of that case if it's possible, as I'm thinking of building one for my Nord Electro/VR09 combo. Is it portable? How much does it weight and what do you do to keep the panel visible?

Your wish is my command...

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-hTKC2...5928195_HDR.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-8iUrV...0_135456387.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-VM7Bd...0_135557775.jpg

Here is my high tech transport system with the FA06 on the bottom of the case wrapped in a towel:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-AD4PS...9_144516752.jpg

Here it is at a gig:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-D0pKO...5_220209011.jpg

This is basically a prototype. The top piece is a leftover piece of scrap. I'll probably spring for another sheet of ply and make that top piece wider. I'm also using 1/4" oak for the sides and back. It's actually pretty strong because of the inside glued and nailgunned bracing. I might glue another piece of something on each end just to make it look thicker.

If you look closely you'll see the top piece slides back and forth depending if I want the SK1 keys to be directly above the FA06 keys or if I need access to the FA's controls. I also took Tonysounds' very good advice and created a cable snake and pedal board. All the stuff on the floor is velcro'd to the board and the whole thing fits into another old 36" keyboard bag I've had laying around for years. I can carry the wood case with the FA in it back and forth to the car and the SK1 is in it's own soft case. The last gig I actually beat the drummer out the door for the first time ever. About 20 minutes for a complete tear down and on the road.

As for the weight it's nothing. Maybe 15 pounds at the most. I also have both power supplies inside the case against the back and they stay there for transport. I just put a small towel between the back of the FA and the power supplies.

Like I said this is just a prototype, there's lots of little things I would do differently if I decide to build another one or modify this one. One thing I will do is build a separate base for it and not use the stand in these pics.

Bob

Looks a whole lot like a Rhodes Chroma.

#2627062 - 09/13/14 06:12 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Bif_]
Rustar Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia

This is my custom cabinet that my friend the master cabinet maker made that essentially converts my SKI to an SK2. It sits on any suitable stand. I haven't gigged with it yet as I originally intended, because I use a different setup for gigs, and the woodwork is so fine that I couldn't bear to have it scratched.

#2627121 - 09/14/14 08:52 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Rustar]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

very very nice!

This is one of my all time favorite threads on KC. Lots of very cool ideas and execution of the ideas.

I love all this custom stuff!

#2627160 - 09/14/14 01:06 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Rustar]
Jazzmammal Offline
Platinum Member

Rustar, that is beautiful and my instinct is to build one like that but then I came back to earth and realized I didn't want to make mine too nice because it's essentially a road warrior. I already have a few scratches on it. I was also going back and forth about whether I wanted the sides to go high enough to encapsulate the SK1 and decided to kiss it and just have it sit there in the open. That's why this is such a cool thread, we all have different takes on this.

Now the big question is do I want to spring for those awesome Gibraltar chrome parts for a stand?

Bob

#2627200 - 09/14/14 04:59 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Jazzmammal]
Rustar Offline

Originally Posted By: Jazzmammal
Rustar, that is beautiful and my instinct is to build one like that but then I came back to earth and realized I didn't want to make mine too nice because it's essentially a road warrior. I already have a few scratches on it. I was also going back and forth about whether I wanted the sides to go high enough to encapsulate the SK1 and decided to kiss it and just have it sit there in the open. That's why this is such a cool thread, we all have different takes on this.

Now the big question is do I want to spring for those awesome Gibraltar chrome parts for a stand?

Bob

Because the purpose was to create and SK2 equivalent, the lower keyboard's controls aren't available due to being positioned directly under the SK1. I originally used and still have available a Kawai K1 that I disassembled and sanded down the key edges to create my own waterfall keyboard. The NE2 is a better keyboard for the job and I picked it up cheap. Your cabinet is very nice and your stand looks very stable. What kind of jazz do you play with your rig? The chrome stand is so cool that it's scary. Reminds me of the Terminator skeleton. Thank you and David for your responses.

Edited by Rustar (09/14/14 05:02 PM)

#2627204 - 09/14/14 05:26 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Rustar]
Jazzmammal Offline
Platinum Member

Not a lot of jazz lately, that gig pic I posted is a bar in Santa Monica. It's a blues and old time cabaret singing gig with a girl singer. She has us do a couple of instrumentals per set so we do Mercy, Mercy, Canteloupe Island, All Night Long, Tequila, Green Onions, Cold Duck Time, Mr. Magic and a couple of others. No real straight ahead stuff. I haven't done Green Dolphin Street or Tunisia in a couple of years. Sad but this stuff is fun too. In another band it's all classic rock like the Allmans, Alvin Lee, the Doors, Santana etc.

Bob

#2627212 - 09/14/14 05:51 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: EscapeRocks]
Rustar Offline

Originally Posted By: EscapeRocks
very very nice!

This is one of my all time favorite threads on KC. Lots of very cool ideas and execution of the ideas.

I agree. I love seeing creative people at work.

#2636776 - 10/30/14 07:01 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: EscapeRocks]
Jonny H Offline

Loc: South Wales UK
Originally Posted By: EscapeRocks
very very nice!

I absolutely agree. There are some really inventive feats of engineering on here. Thanks fellas - keep providing the inspiration!

#2636855 - 10/30/14 11:13 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Jonny H]
Throbert Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Colorado

#2645947 - 12/08/14 04:15 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Throbert]
JulianJ Offline

Loc: Devon, UK
All,

Here's a case I made for my KeyB. The Organ transports on its back;

The 'Dolly' fixes to the legs to form a brace;

I recessed small receptors in the lid to locate a Nord Stage 88

Ready to rock!

#2645953 - 12/08/14 04:58 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: JulianJ]
Joe BrokeIt Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

That's nice! I like the combined functionality of case & stand. thu

#2645957 - 12/08/14 05:17 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Joe BrokeIt]
WesG Online   shocked
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inverary, ON, Canada
Wow, that's really great!

I can't tell you how much I also dig the layout of the KeyB. I'd have to look twice to realize you weren't playing a chop.

Wes
Roland: VR-09
Band Site: http://DrBombay.ca/

#2645960 - 12/08/14 05:23 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: WesG]
MorayM Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Wilts, UK
That's really nice, very clever design! Looks great when put together too.

#2645975 - 12/08/14 06:32 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: MorayM]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

Reminds me of the old combo organ days, when the stand was part of the case.

#2646197 - 12/09/14 03:10 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
JulianJ Offline

Loc: Devon, UK
Thank you all for the kind words. I based the design on a tone wheel chop cabinet & stability was a high priority.

Whilst all of the modern clone wheel organs sound great, I chose the KeyB because, IMHO, it looks and feels most like a traditional Hammond. I find having a firm and solid stand also helps enhance the playing experience.

I used an old set of Rhodes handles & 'Fender' Tolex to give it some traditional DNA. Glad you all like it :o)

#2646202 - 12/09/14 04:34 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: JulianJ]
Mr T, Sweden Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Örebro, Sweden
Really nice stand/case - love the design! smile

#2646269 - 12/09/14 08:45 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Mr T, Sweden]
Jazzmammal Offline
Platinum Member

Great job there. It looks almost exactly like my old chopped B3 but I'm sure it doesn't weigh 250 pounds! I even built a wheeled dolly just like yours. The only difference is the guy who chopped it installed 4" pipe fittings so my removable "stand" was four 4" aluminum pipe legs that I polished and clearcoated and simply screwed into the fittings on bottom of the case. When it was set up is was as solid as any real B3 was.

Bob

#2654945 - 01/14/15 07:20 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Jazzmammal]
Rusty Mike Offline
Gold Member

I completed my custom 2nd tier for the K&M 18880.

The inspiration actually came from the 2nd tier for my Invisible Stand, and addresses a few issues well have, such as the tier hanging too far forward over the bottom keyboard.

2nd Tier Pictures

They are made from 2 pieces of wood only, and weigh about a pound each. The posts slide right into the 18880. The resting surface for the top keyboard is angled at 5 degrees, and I used that tacky material from the pads used to stick your cell phone to the car dashboard. Here are a few pix with my Electros stacked.

I tested it with my PC361 as well for the purpose of a picture, but it's moot for me since I don't take the PC361 out of the studio.

Edited by Rusty Mike (01/14/15 08:16 AM)
Edit Reason: Pix embedding idiocy

#2654951 - 01/14/15 07:35 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Rusty Mike]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

Yo, need to fix links!

#2654962 - 01/14/15 08:18 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
Rusty Mike Offline
Gold Member

Fixed - I'm a moron!

I also included the URL for more pictures if anyone is interested.

#2654999 - 01/14/15 10:11 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Rusty Mike]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

Nice clean design!

#2664444 - 02/11/15 06:21 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
DavidD Offline

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
Hi everyone.

I guess this is my first 'real' post on the forum. My name is David and I have written a short introduction of myself in the Introductions thread.

This thread has been a great inspiration! Keyboard stands and figuring out how best to stack my boards are a somewhat guilty pleasure of mine, so it's been fun to see what and how you guys are doing it.

This is not a stand construction per se, but it is however an upgrade to my stand - a K&M Spider Pro. Up until now I have been using the Spider Pro in conjunction with a tabletop style stand in an L-shape, placing my rack and pedal board in the 90 degree 'corner' of the L. This took up a lot of space on stage and I never felt comfortable with playing in the L-shape.

A couple of weeks ago my local music shop sold me an extra set of arms for the Spider Pro for approx. 20 USD. I figured that I might as well give it a try and see if I could fit all three boards on the Spider Pro. I play standing up so the bottom board needs to be relatively high.

And it worked! I know that the picture isn't that great, but it does give you an idea of how close I have been able to stack the three keyboards, while still having access to the knobs on the Nord Lead in the middle. The sliders on the PX-5S come out under the left end of the Lead, so they are easy to, well - slide. I primarily use two presets on the Casio (rhodes and wurlitzer), so I don't need great access to the Stage Setting buttons on the right.

Furthermore I have been able to fit my pedalboard with effects and a sustain pedal under the legs of the Spider Pro - and my rack I place standing up next to me. The result is that I use up approx. 50% less space on stage + I find it much easier playing with the three boards stacked like this instead of the L-shape.

Success! smile

Rhodes MK II, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Moog Sub 37, Roland Juno 6, Casio PX-5S, MBP w. Mainstage (+ lots of fx pedals).

Endorsed by Casio.

#2664482 - 02/11/15 08:24 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: DavidD]
ABECK Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Framingham,MA,UNITED STATES
Looks good. I can't tell - is the new set an additional angled set, or straight, like the bottom ones.

#2664510 - 02/11/15 09:47 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: ABECK]
DavidD Offline

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
Originally Posted By: ABECK
Looks good. I can't tell - is the new set an additional angled set, or straight, like the bottom ones.

Thanks. The set in the middle is straight like the one on the bottom. It makes it easier to stack them closer together.

I don't think I would have been able to stack all three keyboards if the two top sets were angled, it would take up to much space and 'push' the bottom board to far down for me to be able to play it without problems. Again, I'm playing standing - if one were to sit it could be done with two angled sets above the straight bottom one.

Rhodes MK II, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Moog Sub 37, Roland Juno 6, Casio PX-5S, MBP w. Mainstage (+ lots of fx pedals).

Endorsed by Casio.

#2664559 - 02/11/15 12:05 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
MathOfInsects Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: California
I repurposed a Pearl drum rack, and it's become the ideal keyboard stand. I cut and added two aluminum electrical pipes to hold the lower board, and use cymbal booms/arms (coated in plastic) for the upper. I can add a third board above that by using two more cymbal booms.

I also inserted aluminum piping into the stand legs as a place to add gig-specific items--my ipad clamp, or a small personal monitor, or my stand light, or even the set list.

All the levels are fully height adjustable, and it breaks down in about a second and a half--just pop the quicklocks on the cross bar and it's in three easy pieces.

The nice thing is, more stuff you load onto the stand itself, the more stable it gets.

I'm going to try to embed a couple of photos, but it's my first time doing so on this forum, so we'll see.

This was my proof-of-concept photo when I was tinkering in the garage:

Here are some early photos of the thing in use; I switched the angle of the crossbar after this to line up with the back of the lower board:

And here's an action shot taken my someone in the audience at some gig, I can't remember what or where (cropped by me to leave out my ugly mug):

#2664560 - 02/11/15 12:13 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: MathOfInsects]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Very nice

twothumbs

#2664567 - 02/11/15 12:45 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: EscapeRocks]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

Holy crap, I haven't seen a backline that tall since the '70s. Loud?? Very nice stand setup, BTW.

As far as 3 tiers go - I have found that I prefer the middle keyboard to be straight, the bottom one angled UP toward me, and the top one angled down.

#2664646 - 02/11/15 05:13 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
MP Hall of Fame Member

I think it might have been one of those guitar legend summit things, so everyone was waving their Marshalls around like genitals.

#2664677 - 02/11/15 08:15 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: MathOfInsects]
rickp Offline

Very cool use of Pearl components . . . you'll have both drummers and keyboard players envious . . .

Gibraltar sure seems to be making more of a move from drum hardware into the keyboard sector: Gibraltar Project Center.

Maybe there's something we can learn from drummers after all.

#2664868 - 02/12/15 02:12 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: rickp]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Thanks, Rick. Yeah, if you think about what a drummer needs--fast, light, sturdy, portable, customizable, adjustable on the fly--it makes sense there'd be some overlap.

Wanna really geek out on homemade equipment pr0n, though? For organ gigs (about half of what I do, maybe a bit more), I use a foot-switch for the Leslie (sim), like many of us here. Out of habit/necessity, I've always triggered it with my left heel. Whenever I've put it at my toe, even on the left, I've reflexively treated it as a sustain pedal at least a few times during the night. (Too many nights when I was younger sitting at the piano facing out to the audience and using my left foot for the sustain, I guess.)

So it sits facing backward, at roughly the distance my heel will be if my foot is on that stand leg (different stand).

But I have to admit that I miss it sometimes. Then I have to either stomp around a bit or look down to make sure I'm lined up right. I hate that.

So I came up with this. It's just a bit of electrical duct bracing.

I velcro the pedal to the bottom. It even has a little channel for the cord to keep it out of the way.

It straddles the leg of that stand (the one I use for most organ gigs), and stays in place solely because it's ever so slightly too small to fit around the stand.

Now, wherever I hit that bracket, even if I mostly miss or hit close to the stand leg or just get one of the two braces, the pedal engages. As long as there's pressure anywhere along the way, the rotor switches speeds.

And voila, problem solved.

#2665082 - 02/13/15 01:46 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: MathOfInsects]
rickzjamm Offline
Gold Member

CLEVER!!!

#2667798 - 02/24/15 12:42 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: rickzjamm]
MP Hall of Fame Member

I knew I had these somewhere. More of the drum-turned-keyboard stand:

#2667947 - 02/24/15 01:01 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: MathOfInsects]
rickzjamm Offline
Gold Member

MathOfInsects, looks cool but isn't it heavy foe daily set up & tear down?

#2667951 - 02/24/15 01:24 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: rickzjamm]
MP Hall of Fame Member

It's aluminum, light as can be. Setup and tear down are literally a second or two each, shorter than my "real" stands. All I do is pop the cross bar into (or out of) the quick-releases on the legs.

In terms of ease and adjustability/customizability, it's my favorite stand. But I only bring it to large-stage gigs, since the one factor I can't control on it is the footprint. Once there's any negotiation for space on a stage, it's a needless hog.

#2669507 - 03/02/15 08:38 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: MathOfInsects]
Pat Azzarello Offline
Gold Member

Loc: WA,UNITED STATES
I’ve been following this thread and seen some cool ideas.

I rearrranged my studio last fall to give me some dedicated space for editing and other “non-keyboard” work (including tasks that turn my studio into a work-cave, not just a music-cave). This translated into me moving my main keyboard (a QS8) onto one side of the room, and my Numa organ onto the other. While it’s very much like a 70’s era live keyboard surround, they’re too far away from each other to do my Keith Emerson impersonation.

On my main desk I have a small keyboard controller (Line6 KB37) that I can use for limited performance).

One thing I’ve always been challenged with is the setup working for each of the distinct jobs I perform at the main (large) keyboard, including:
•Performance/Recording: Focused on playing. Need some way to run transport controls, select tracks, and minimal editing (usually through controllers).
•Composing / Arranging / Orchestration: I do this by hand, and eventually translate it into Finale. This requires a music desk, and has always been the most ignored portion of my studio since I couldn’t come up with a design that had the appropriate footprint and worksurface that I could deal with. I modeled this after a grand piano, with a “scoring” desk attached (see picture). BTW – I’ve never been able to use Finale fast enough to capture ideas, so I’ve given up, but it’s a great tool to share and archive.
Programming / Gig Preparation: This ranges from having a place to put a module, iPad, or other controller above the QS8, to a full keyboard.

I think what inspired me was a Korg keyboard from about 10 years ago (M3 maybe) that had a programmer / display module that could slide one way or the other. To accommodate all of the needs above I decided to steal the idea of having the “modules” slide on some steel rods. I’ll use conduit as it’s really sturdy but not as heavy as steel pipe. The modules will ride on trucks (built using a friend’s 3D printer) and can be swapped out as needed.

The original sketch has a music stand, but I’ll probably have a modules. The conduit and modules will take the rear half of the case. I didn’t build them in because I’m not yet sure what the right height, distance, etc. will be (thus I’m calling it a prototype).

This past weekend I took the first step and built the main keyboard surround with a friend, Mike Day, in his woodshop. It looks surprisingly like a cutdown B3 shell. It’s got 3 sides, a base, and will sit on a keyboard/DJ table for stability.

Eventually (if I ever move from prototype phase to “furniture” phase) I’d probably build nicer legs that match the décor. Here’s the rendering I did in Sketchup:

This past weekend I took the first step and built the main keyboard surround with a friend, Mike Day, in his woodshop. It looks surprisingly like a cutdown B3 shell. It's got 3 sides, a base, and will sit on a keyboard/DJ table for stability.

Eventually (if I ever move from prototype phase to "furniture" phase) I'd probably build nicer legs that match the decor.

The conduit and modules will take the rear half of the case. I didn't build them in because I'm not yet sure what the right height, distance, etc. will be (thus I'm calling it a prototype).

#2728752 - 10/18/15 08:47 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Pat Azzarello]
Adam Burgess Offline

Quick re-purpose for my Gibraltar stuff. Got enough bits spare to fashion something to take out, I think...

I thought correctly! Got a nice whole stupidly high standing height stand from the remaining bits. :-) They're both only single tier, obviously, but suiting me at the moment living without my Kronos :-( Never got a pic before leaving my apartment today...

Edited by Adam Burgess (10/19/15 01:47 AM)

#2878706 - 09/12/17 03:44 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Adam Burgess]
OB Dave Offline
Gold Member

Zombie thread alert!

OK, so for the past few years I've been gigging with a Stage 2 and an SK-1, and neither one wants to be the bottom keyboard, each having a bunch of controls on top. So I added a sliding upper tier to my K&M stand to remedy that issue. It didn't take long to get used to having the upper keyboard move if you applied rearward pressure.

Fast forward to now, and I just pulled the trigger on a Mojo 61. Sounds ballsy as hell. So far I like it a lot. It also has a nice blank area on top, and while I've always been used to having the piano keyboard on bottom, I thought I'd try doing something other than the sliding tier thing. These brackets were much easier to weld up than the crazy slidey things. They fit nicely into the stock upper tier receptacles.

This allows me to set the front edge of the Nord right on top of the Mojo, and the new brackets support the rear of the Nord. The Nord keyboard is a little bit of a reach but still manageable from a seated position. It will take some getting used to, but then so did the sliding thing. I also welded up a different mast to put the iPad clip on. That fits into a K&M accessory receptacle.

While I was at it, I dealt with my missing foot. These K&M stands have adjustable feet, which is a threaded rod with a small ball at the end, and a plastic foot with a cup that fits over the ball and pivots. Problem is these plastic cups keeps falling off. I've been lucky to find the cup several times, but one finally got away from me. Rather than re-order a replacement from Germany - which I'd be sure to lose again eventually - I decided to fabricate something else. I found these plastic spheres at a hardware store. The K&M stand uses a metric (8mm x 1.25) thread, and the spheres have brass inserts that are threaded using Freedom Units. I decided to brute force it, and bought some 8mm bolts, filled the brass insert with JB Weld, and then stripped the bolts in as far as I could, and then sawed the heads off the bolts so they could be threaded into the metric threads on the bottom of each keyboard leg. None of this process was very pretty but I think it'll work.

#2878709 - 09/12/17 03:57 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: OB Dave]
Michael Wright Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I love my new 42" laptop. w00t

#2878710 - 09/12/17 03:59 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: OB Dave]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

Good job! I really should learn to weld some time.

#2878716 - 09/12/17 04:15 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
Dglavko Offline
Gold Member

Nice! I'm digging it.
Piano on top is not sacrilegious when you thing of wurlis on top of a b3.
I've done the same as you with my numa1 or mojo 2 manual underneath.
Not quite as sturdy as yours mind you.

#2878721 - 09/12/17 04:36 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
OB Dave Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: mate stubb
Good job! I really should learn to weld some time.
You really should! It's fun and very satisfying, and would go very nicely with your excellent woodworking skills. And unlike woodworking where you often have to wait for glue to set, welding is much more instant-gratification. You only need to wait for the material to cool off to test it out. And steel is super cheap right now.

In the past few years I bought a mig welder and a sewing machine, and learned how to use them both. Even with my rudimentary skills, they've been immensely useful. I can't count the number of random projects that I suddenly had solutions for.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner