Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#2501615 - 06/12/13 10:20 PM The stand construction thread
mate stubb Offline
Grand Poobah of the Trebuchet
10k Club

I have a stand design I have used for over 20 years, that I have been meaning to post about. My current rig reconfiguration has caused me to mod it again, so here is some blather.

It is built mostly from a USS Apache 3 tier A frame I bought and used in the mid 80s. All the tubes, thumbscrews, and joints are original. I've added my own pieces over the years, and it's become an erector set.

When I make a new rig I move a few rubber bumpers, and maybe cut a few different length pieces to make it fit exactly.

The basic stand has an H leg with a single top tube and a braced X back, removeable with wing nuts.

When I want a rig for standing, I substitute in longer legs. That takes no tools, just thumbscrews.

It breaks down partially for quick load out in less than 30 seconds.

And it breaks down completely for carrying in a bag in another 60 seconds.

The 2 extra T connectors on the back are put on when I am building a 2 tier stand. A short pair of tube stubs stand in those. They are cut to length to be the same height as the top surface of the bottom keyboard, whatever that is.

Usually I build a very thin wooden tray with rubber underneath, that stands on those stubs and the back of the keyboard's top surface. On this project, I am trying something a little different, so they are tilted outward slightly.

This time, they will hold up a pair of H beam rails. The project goal is to mount a Nord on top of the Mojo, both of which have lots of controls on top, which complicates things.

Why rails? I'm going to try to get a little tricky, and be able to easily move the Nord forward for piano centric activity. Stay tuned for updates...

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

KC Island
#2501617 - 06/12/13 10:28 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
uncledunc Offline

Loc: Tucson AZ, USA
Very nice. I've always been a fan of using the top of the bottom keyboard to help support the 2nd tier - leftover from the days of big keyboards with flat tops that served as the 2nd tier.

I noticed the pedal board in the back of photo #1. Love those left-footed volume pedals. smile

#2501622 - 06/12/13 11:04 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: uncledunc]
J. Dan Online   content
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
The ability to slide the top board forward and back is a VERY novel idea and takes care of the issues of acces to lower tier controls.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2501633 - 06/13/13 01:55 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: J. Dan]
SteveCoscia Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA USA
Is that a Chroma in the background of the second photo?

#2501634 - 06/13/13 02:07 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: SteveCoscia]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia
Good job Moe. Over the years I've been using USS parts to make custom stand configurations. They are extremely versatile. I was very disappointed when USS stopped selling their various connectors and raw pipes. Fortunately a couple of years ago I found someone on ebay selling a lot of parts and bought them. Looking around my room I'm now down to only one table-top riser but when I do change things up I know I can put together just about anything to suit my needs with these parts.

#2501642 - 06/13/13 03:45 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Markyboard]
mahinty Offline

Loc: New Zealand
Ace. I look forward to the next instalment. The sliding rails are a master stroke!

#2501690 - 06/13/13 07:40 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: SteveCoscia]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: SteveCoscia
Is that a Chroma in the background of the second photo?

Yep. Bought my baby new in 1982 and gigged it hard for years. This used to be my avatar pic.

#2501848 - 06/13/13 02:14 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

I cut some simple wedges to try the concept, and it appears to work. It's a shame that you can't have it all and must instead trade reach for button access.

Piano forward:

Drawbars accessible - this would be my go to position if I had access to percussion and chorus vib. Piano is still playable from this position. Hmmm, need to move some controls down...

All the way back - piano is too far back to comfortably play sitting down.

#2501875 - 06/13/13 03:20 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
The Real MC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Secluded Tranquil NY Wine Coun...
That's about the only configuration that is useful for those gawd-awful USS stands.

#2502672 - 06/16/13 09:24 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: The Real MC]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

Got construction finished tonight, and the pieces are ready to paint. It works as I hoped, so I'm looking forward to trying it with the band.

I built a wedge from oak and fastened an aluminum bracket to it.

The wedge on it's bobsled run:

I added some adhesive backed felt to protect everything.

In action:

#2502676 - 06/16/13 09:50 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
J. Dan Online   content
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
So are the wood blocks just sitting on the "arms"? Is that the part that slides? Can you just lift it off.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2502677 - 06/16/13 09:58 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
uncledunc Offline

That is a really cool contraption. It's a little late now, but what if you were to mount the Nord on a couple of heavy duty rolling drawer tracks, so you could pull it forward with a flick of your wrist and then shove it back when you need more organ controls? Or does it already slide easily in the track you've built?

#2502685 - 06/16/13 11:07 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: uncledunc]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

The blocks just sit in the rails. You can easily move it with one hand in the middle, but it has enough friction to stay in place.

#2502697 - 06/17/13 12:05 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
uncledunc Offline

Very nice. Your rig has inspired me to modify my second tier when my new keyboard arrives. I won't be using drawer tracks, but I will be using some of that heavy flat aluminum to extend the top keyboard closer. It's an electro 3 so it's pretty light. Do you get the adhesive-backed felt at places like Home Depot? I never noticed it before.

#2502788 - 06/17/13 08:10 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: uncledunc]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

I bought the felt in 9" x 12" sheets at Hobby Lobby.

#2502789 - 06/17/13 08:19 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
Mogut Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Clarkston MI
does the 2nd tier wood wedge fasten to the slide rail, or is it just sitting on top loose?

I guess why does it need too, right?

You REALLY got my wheels turning with that top tier slide

#2502792 - 06/17/13 08:31 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Mogut]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

The top rail has sides - it's hard to see from the pics. So the wedge sits INSIDE and can't fall off the rail.

It's held down by the top board's weight.

#2502795 - 06/17/13 08:33 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
Mogut Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Clarkston MI
yeah I see it... its like 'H' rail

#2502827 - 06/17/13 10:37 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Mogut]
ivorycj Offline
Gold Member

Loc: 5280
Moe, someday, I'd just like to come hang out at your shop for a day or so and learn stuff.

Kurzweil PC3X • Korg Kronos 61 • 1973 Fender Rhodes MKI Stage 88 • 1898 Steinway I

#2502838 - 06/17/13 11:06 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: ivorycj]
RedKey Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Chicago
Originally Posted By: ivorycj
Moe, someday, I'd just like to come hang out at your shop for a day or so and learn stuff.

This!

#2502844 - 06/17/13 11:16 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: RedKey]
ITGITC? Offline
Grand Poobah of Posting
10k Club

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: RedKey

This!

Me too! I'll bring the beer. thu

Tom

#2502976 - 06/17/13 03:25 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: ITGITC?]
Mr T, Sweden Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Örebro, Sweden
Damn - the sliding top tier is a great idea!
I'm doing the same thing at home - sliding the top board back and forth on my Standtastic to access the panel of the lower board. But this looks so much nicer!
Nord Stage 2 sw73 w Ventilator & DB1, Kurzweil PC88, EV ZXa1 + sub. K&M stands, KeyB Legend Live, Hammond E112 & Monarch, Leslie 3300, Korg M3-88, Micro-X, EHX V256, Yamaha EX5R, Novation Nova desktop

#2503019 - 06/17/13 05:04 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: ITGITC?]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: ITGITC?
Originally Posted By: RedKey

This!

Me too! I'll bring the beer. thu

Tom

#2503024 - 06/17/13 05:25 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Texas
Moe, that is awesome!!

One question: have you thought about some type of cap/cover for the rails out front?
I could see myself slicing my hand up when I get overly enthusiastic.

#2503050 - 06/17/13 07:26 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: EscapeRocks]
Stormfront Offline

Loc: Columbus, OH
Great job. Stain the wooden wedges to match the Mojo!!

Pete

Kurzweil K2000, ME-1 and (2)PC3, Barbetta Sona 32C, Motion sound KM-12 / Pro3X, EV sXa 360

#2508144 - 07/03/13 03:02 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: Stormfront]
mahinty Offline

Loc: New Zealand
Not wanting to de-rail Moe's thread, but have you seen this quite beautiful stand designed for Mikael Jorgensen of Wilco, by furniture makers UM Project

It highlights, once again, that we have been poorly served in the stand department.

No disrespect intended, Moe - your stand is beautiful too. Good on you for not putting up with the mediocrity of the off the shelf options.

#2508150 - 07/03/13 04:40 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mahinty]
StanC Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Connecticut USA
Originally Posted By: mahinty
Not wanting to de-rail Moe's thread, but have you seen this quite beautiful stand designed for Mikael Jorgensen of Wilco, by furniture makers UM Project

It highlights, once again, that we have been poorly served in the stand department.

No disrespect intended, Moe - your stand is beautiful too. Good on you for not putting up with the mediocrity of the off the shelf options.

Really??
Sorry, don't mean to offend, but that's uglier than the DGX640 in the other thread!

#2508163 - 07/03/13 06:29 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: StanC]
mate stubb Offline
10k Club

I'm not offended - was hoping others would chime in with "out of the box" thinking on their own stand designs!

#2508182 - 07/03/13 07:32 AM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: mate stubb]
StanC Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Connecticut USA
Well I don't know if this qualifies as "Stand Design". it's really a modification by adding a custom second tier to a W550.
View it here http://www.thedriveband.net/. The 550 is barely visible. The second tier supporting the XK-1 is 1" square aluminum bar stock in the form of a sideways "F" screwed to the 550. Of course it's not adjustable, but unless I get taller or shorter, I don't need it to be. smirk

#2508330 - 07/03/13 01:57 PM Re: The stand construction thread [Re: StanC]
Baldwin Funster Offline
Has been warned....
Platinum Member

Loc: On top of the world ma, I fina...
Here my stand. Not as cool as the other ones here, but neither am I .

Edited by Kas (07/04/13 05:16 AM)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner