Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2496781 - 05/27/13 03:35 PM OT: Unconditional Love
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Inspired by Winston's recent thread about selling a guitar to adopt a cute lil' doggie, I thought, why not share some pix of the critters that carve out a little space in our hearts?

Here are my current Border Collies, Molly (a red merle) and Madeline (a blue merle):

Molly, like all of my previous dogs, is a fan of my guitar playing. If she sees me reach for a guitar or if she hears me playing, she takes a seat nearby.

Maddie, OTOH, is still not sure that guitars are not tools of Satan.

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

GP Island
#2496785 - 05/27/13 04:04 PM Re: OT: Unconditional Love [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
If I bring out my electrics, my dog gets up and leaves the room. If I bring out the acoustic, she sticks around. I think it's the louder electrified noise that bothers her ears, even when I play at low volumes...

#2496842 - 05/27/13 10:55 PM Re: OT: Unconditional Love [Re: Larryz]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I don't play loudly almost as a rule, but the youngster, Maddie, doesn't even stick around if I reach for an acoustic.

Which is funny, since she loves music: I whistle Mars, bringer of war by Holst to call her over. She camps out in front of the TV when my mom tunes into this public access channel that airs all kinds of classical & jazz music forms.

Wait...maybe she's telling me I suck.

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (05/27/13 10:57 PM)

#2496864 - 05/28/13 05:17 AM Re: OT: Unconditional Love [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Terrell Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Austin, TX
Beautiful!

#2496886 - 05/28/13 06:55 AM Re: OT: Unconditional Love [Re: Terrell]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Beautiful dogs!

The most profound reaction any of my dogs ever had to my playing was many years ago, when I got my first Ring Modulator, the original EHX Frequency Analyzer. If I turned the Shift and Fine knobs all the way up, pushing the thing out of the range of human hearing, my dog clearly heard something, and didn't like it much.

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/figures-of-speech

#2496931 - 05/28/13 09:34 AM Re: OT: Unconditional Love [Re: Winston Psmith]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
I had two Shi-Tzus( one, sadly, had to be put down a year and a half ago), who learned early on that whenever I pick up my guitar, it doesn't involve my EATING something that I might share, and took no interest.

I remember some time ago, I had my home sound cranked up when the BEATLES tune "Tomorrow Never Knows" started up( only had the one dog at the time, the one who was put down), and she had an adverse reaction to the opening. Ran around the room a couple of times trying to determine where the sound was coming from, then ran out of the room! I still feel kind of bad about that.

I've always found it amusing how pets can exhibit their own kind of personalities and develope certain habits and quirks. And how they pick up on certain things. Like Larry's dog leaving the room when he enters with an electric. For years( even still now), whenever the wife and I decide to turn in for the night, we will ask each other, "Ready?" and start switching off lamps. Whenever the dogs would hear the "ready", they'd get up and move towards the bedroom. Even now, the surviving dog can be sound asleep in her little dog bed, but jumps up quickly when she hears the sounds all the equipment makes when being switched off( TV, stereo, which the sound for the TV is connected to)and heads for the bedroom, pausing only to make sure we're coming, too. Whenever my wife rises before me( I'm retired, so there's NO routine wake-up time, or so I thought), she'll( the dog, that is)come into the bedroom and bark me awake, because ALL of us have to be in the same room. My wife and I sometimes play "slot" games on the PC, and the dog will follow us into the room the computer is in and lie down under one of our chairs. This should all be somewhat annoying, but it strikes me as so cute I don't mind at all. If I go outside to take out the trash, or for WHATEVER reason, she'll park herself by the door craning her neck to see where I am, where I've gone and to see if I'm coming back! My brother-in-law's big, clumsy German Pointer does this with him, with added whining and pacing back and forth to the window even if he just goes to his car to retrieve his cigarrettes.

For many years before, I used to have CATS, who really didn't give a shit.
Whitefang

#2496937 - 05/28/13 09:48 AM Re: OT: Unconditional Love [Re: whitefang]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I've had gerbils, cats, and aquariums loved 'em all. Dogs are where I'm at, right now.

Of them, the dogs & cats had the strongest personalities.

One of the cats, for instance, was very dog-like: came when called, greeted people at the door, etc. She also enjoyed "helping" me practice cello. She'd hop on my lap and nip & bat at strings. Sometimes, she'd do it from the floor.

She also enjoyed piano. One night, the entire house erected from bed as we heard a yowling and the sound of someone hammering the piano. With all HUMAN residents accounted for, my Dad & I grabbed big sticks & proceeded carefully to the living room where the sounds continued. There she was, strolling up & down the keyboard, self-accompanying. (Mom started lowering the keyboard lid after that happened s couple more times.)

Her brother was ahead of his time: he was a DJ. He'd sit next to the turntable and, for certain LPs, he'd gently, gently, gently lower his paw onto the surface of the LP and slow it down. He'd even vary the pressure, and thus the speed.

#2496943 - 05/28/13 10:04 AM Re: OT: Unconditional Love [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Guitarzan Offline
10k Club

since our former cat "Smokie" passed i have my little buddy "Noodles" the ginger ninja cat. he is like my dog, waits for me to come home and follows me around and sleeps in my guitar case.

he is quite the dude and a tad timid, he came to us and started sleeping on our patio 2 winters ago and moved in shortly after.

Noodles with a "give me a treat" look. he is hooked on Temptations or as we call them kitty crack.

Edited by Guitarzan (05/28/13 10:05 AM)

rock it, i will

#2496964 - 05/28/13 11:06 AM Re: OT: Unconditional Love [Re: Guitarzan]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
Funny Zan but my cat loves those Temptations (gets two in the morning and two at night)...came in out of the woods and adopted me...same coloring as yours...he has 5 toes & claws on each front foot...loves to take walks with me and the dog...

#2496998 - 05/28/13 12:04 PM Re: OT: Unconditional Love [Re: Larryz]
Guitarzan Offline
10k Club

that is cool Larryz, Smokie (RIP) had 24 toes and weighed at least 20 lbs. he was a big cat. he was most likely Maine coon.

rock it, i will

#2497068 - 05/28/13 02:28 PM Re: OT: Unconditional Love [Re: Guitarzan]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Ours were Maine Coons, too- both runts, at 13 & 18 lbs each.

#2497151 - 05/28/13 08:12 PM Re: OT: Unconditional Love [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
02R96 Offline
Platinum Member

I simply love dogs. Unconditional love is something everyone should experience. How many times have you pulled into a parking lot, and saw a dog (in a nearby car) staring at the building waiting and wondering when his/her human friend will return?

Love it! wave

"When you play a stadium you almost have to do a Mick Jagger where you wave a sash around and prance about. I can’t quite do that..."

David Crosby talking about CSNY's 1974 Doom tour.

#2497164 - 05/28/13 09:16 PM Re: OT: Unconditional Love [Re: 02R96]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

So tonight was payroll night. We sit down, run the checks for the biz, and put the checks with the bills, etc. Well, the home office is a bit of a mess right now, so I was sprawled on the floor, sorting the checks.

And Maddie- a.k.a. "Helper"- pitched in by sitting her fuzzy ass on my back...while looking over my shoulder...chewing on a squeaky.

Gotta love 'em.

#2497272 - 05/29/13 09:53 AM Re: OT: Unconditional Love [Re: 02R96]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: 02R96
I simply love dogs. Unconditional love is something everyone should experience. How many times have you pulled into a parking lot, and saw a dog (in a nearby car) staring at the building waiting and wondering when his/her human friend will return?

Love it! wave

You should(if you haven't already) check out the movie "Hachi: A Dog's Tale" to see a fine example of this. Based on a true story.
Whitefang

#2497273 - 05/29/13 09:53 AM Re: OT: Unconditional Love [Re: Guitarzan]
SEHpicker Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inverness, Florida
Danny - your blue merle is the twin of my dog Zipper. His brother, Sparky is black & white. But they are Australian Sheepdogs - not border collies - although I'm not sure that there is a difference. One thing I am sure of though - they are smarter than a lot of people I've met.

www.huntgroupproductions.com

#2497315 - 05/29/13 10:50 AM Re: OT: Unconditional Love [Re: SEHpicker]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Aussies and BCs are very similar in intellect and demeanor.

In fact, there's a blue merle Aussie that loves just down the street from us that is practically her twin as well: driving down the street, mom saw her and made me stop the car so she could talk to the owner. (As it turns out, that Aussie is about 5 years older.)

#2497439 - 05/29/13 05:53 PM Re: OT: Unconditional Love [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Today was Vet day and we got some surprises.

I've been walking the girls virtually every day this year, and we've gotten up to doing a 2mi circuit. I needed the exercise, but so did they. About the time we started, Molly was about to need a larger harness...

(Uh-oh!)

Well, she now has at least a full inch of play in the belly strap- she's a leaner dog, no question.

But, surprise, surprise: she's also bigger! So's the youngster. As one might expect with regular exercise, they have lost fat, but have also put on muscle. But the astonishing thing is, each put on about 3lbs- about 6% of their body mass- in the process! That is a LOT of muscle to put on in so short a time, especially in the light of the loss of fat.

(Had I done likewise, I'd be leaner, but @286lbs!)

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (05/29/13 05:54 PM)

#2497552 - 05/30/13 07:44 AM Re: OT: Unconditional Love [Re: Guitarzan]
Eric Iverson Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Jackson Heights, NY
OK, I'll bite - what is a "Maine coon"??

#2497556 - 05/30/13 07:49 AM Re: OT: Unconditional Love [Re: Eric Iverson]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
It's a breed of cat, native to the state of Maine. Big, furry, smart and personable. Here's a link - Maine Coon Cat.

Great pets, great companions, and you're hearing that from a dog man!

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/figures-of-speech

#2497568 - 05/30/13 08:43 AM Re: OT: Unconditional Love [Re: Winston Psmith]
MP Hall of Fame Member

"Maine Coons" might not be a bad name for a band.... oh wait, that's that OTHER thread (for people with too much time on their hands.....the longest thread in the history of man......)

#2497586 - 05/30/13 09:21 AM Re: OT: Unconditional Love [Re: Winston Psmith]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith
It's a breed of cat, native to the state of Maine. Big, furry, smart and personable. Here's a link - Maine Coon Cat.

Great pets, great companions, and you're hearing that from a dog man!

And they're BEAUTIFUL, at least to a cat person. They're like the collies of the cat world. And big, much larger than the average tabby.

#2497587 - 05/30/13 09:26 AM Re: OT: Unconditional Love [Re: Scott Fraser]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Do they herd sheep?? Or they good mousers and ratters? In other words, what's their "skill set"??
Could they beat a real coon in a pitched battle?
In other words, are they just pretty or are they USEFUL as well?

Yes, I'm just kidding. Slow at work, etc.

#2497594 - 05/30/13 09:42 AM Re: OT: Unconditional Love [Re: Eric Iverson]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: Eric Iverson
Do they herd sheep?? Or they good mousers and ratters? In other words, what's their "skill set"??
Could they beat a real coon in a pitched battle?
In other words, are they just pretty or are they USEFUL as well?

I don't have Maine Coons, but my cats are busy at work most days, lowering our blood pressure, extending life expectancy, guarding us from bad omens while we sleep, advising us in spiritual matters, & helping us determine life priorities. It's a busy life for cats. Reducing the rodent population, for them, is a perk, not a job.

Raccoons can, & do, kill cats. I would not put any cat smaller than a cougar up against a raccoon.

#2497610 - 05/30/13 10:08 AM Re: OT: Unconditional Love [Re: Scott Fraser]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Maine Coons were bred to be ship cats. Because of that, they were bred for size- all the better to handle ship RATS and resist being washed overboard- and to be swimmers. (Just in case.)

The smaller female we owned was quite the hunter. Her bro? If his sister was as good a hunter as Ted Nugent, he would be the inept SNL spoof of Ted Nugent. The only thing he successfully hunted were Tender Vittles.

...that said, he was a freaking GENIUS when it came to getting his TVs: we had to keep them in a locked cabinet. If we didn't, we would occasionally wake to eviscerated foil packets in the kitchen.

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (05/30/13 10:09 AM)

#2497917 - 05/31/13 10:40 AM Re: OT: Unconditional Love [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I hear that, Danny. The ex and me once had a one eared cat we called "Palooka", Because one ear looked like a cauliflower ear. It kept getting infected and the vet said it was INDEED a cauliflower ear, for lack of a better name. anyway, it was surgically removed, but the name stayed.

Anyway, we used to give him, and our other cat those treats called "Pounce" that came in a little can. We wound up having to hide them in a drawer because he figured out how to pry the little plastic cap off the can and consume the entire thing. He was the cleverest cat that ever "followed" the kids home.
Whitefang

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose