Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2496011 - 05/24/13 07:30 AM Leslie G37 motor problem
Bossbandbob Offline

Loc: Central MA USA
Hi folks,
Jumped over here for a minute from the Keyboard Corner. A guitar player in our band has a Leslie G37 at our/his practice space so naturally I had to try it with my Roland VK7 organ! It actually sounded pretty good with the organ as it has a tube preamp and really cuts through the band mix well. Well he took it on a gig last weekend for his guitar and it worked perfectly there but when we went to hook it up back at the practice space last night, the amp worked but neither motor would spin with either of the pedals. It has a gas pedal and a 2 speed/on-off pedal (two switches). The channel pedal (clean/dirty) has not been working for a while either. We took the covers off to see if anything got unplugged during transport but everything was intact. I was surprised at how tiny the motors were. No twin motor stacks here! all power wires to motors seem soldered properly. They look like small tin cans.
Anyway, has anyone else have this problem or an idea on where to start trouble shooting? We were thinking it might be the pedals at first but that is doubtful with neither one working. Everything was hooked up correctly.
Thanks
Bob

GP Island
#2497144 - 05/28/13 07:32 PM Re: Leslie G37 motor problem [Re: Bossbandbob]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
<BUMP> Sorry no one has come to your aid so I'll bump this thread in hopes that someone will respond to you. I know nothing about Leslies, but I remember there were at least a couple of forumites that have commented on them in the past...good luck with it and we are not ignoring your question Bossbanbob, we were just waiting for a good answer to come along... thu

#2497174 - 05/28/13 10:46 PM Re: Leslie G37 motor problem [Re: Bossbandbob]
Caevan O'Shite Online   content
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Originally Posted By: Bossbandbob
Hi folks,
Jumped over here for a minute from the Keyboard Corner. A guitar player in our band has a Leslie G37 at our/his practice space so naturally I had to try it with my Roland VK7 organ! It actually sounded pretty good with the organ as it has a tube preamp and really cuts through the band mix well. Well he took it on a gig last weekend for his guitar and it worked perfectly there but when we went to hook it up back at the practice space last night, the amp worked but neither motor would spin with either of the pedals. It has a gas pedal and a 2 speed/on-off pedal (two switches). The channel pedal (clean/dirty) has not been working for a while either. We took the covers off to see if anything got unplugged during transport but everything was intact. I was surprised at how tiny the motors were. No twin motor stacks here! all power wires to motors seem soldered properly. They look like small tin cans.
Anyway, has anyone else have this problem or an idea on where to start trouble shooting? We were thinking it might be the pedals at first but that is doubtful with neither one working. Everything was hooked up correctly.
Thanks
Bob

How long has he had it? Is it possibly still under warranty?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2497259 - 05/29/13 09:00 AM Re: Leslie G37 motor problem [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivyByWiRIx8 <--- this guy has a series on youtube on how to build a leslie from the ground up without the amp for guitar instead of repairing an organ, to include new cabinets, parts and settings. It gives you some pretty good info on how motors and belts are adjusted and would be well worth watching if I was trying to trouble shoot what the heck is going on with one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_bEQXDLM1I <--- this one is kind of cool with some amp considerations for tubes, caps, etc. by a guy that repairs the organs...good luck with your testing and there are a lot of interesting leslie repair vids on youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIlyGtxfVBM <--- and back to the series guy...

Edited by Larryz (05/29/13 09:23 AM)

#2497304 - 05/29/13 10:31 AM Re: Leslie G37 motor problem [Re: Larryz]
Caevan O'Shite Online   content
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Originally Posted By: Larryz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivyByWiRIx8 <--- this guy has a series on youtube on how to build a leslie from the ground up without the amp for guitar instead of repairing an organ, to include new cabinets, parts and settings. It gives you some pretty good info on how motors and belts are adjusted and would be well worth watching if I was trying to trouble shoot what the heck is going on with one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_bEQXDLM1I <--- this one is kind of cool with some amp considerations for tubes, caps, etc. by a guy that repairs the organs...good luck with your testing and there are a lot of interesting leslie repair vids on youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIlyGtxfVBM <--- and back to the series guy...

cool

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2499479 - 06/06/13 08:04 AM Re: Leslie G37 motor problem [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Zoya Offline

Loc: USA
Hello
I was not able to find a schematic, but lets start with the basics.
Are the motors getting warm? If not no power is getting there.
You said the other switch is not working. Do both switches have the same sounding CLICK when depressed? Switches fail often.
You can try to slip a little Caig control cleaner down the shaft and work them, easy does it.
Have someone gently wiggle the connectors and the cables where they go into the connectors while you try the controls. Inspect the cables at the last few inches before the connector looking for deformation or stress. A little caig on each pin of the connectors is always a good idea, Clean off the excess. The Case is made for the road so your problem is more likely in control box or cables. Let me know if you find out anything else, Good Luck Roy

#2499486 - 06/06/13 08:27 AM Re: Leslie G37 motor problem [Re: Zoya]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Welcome aboard Zoya!

#2499893 - 06/08/13 05:16 AM Re: Leslie G37 motor problem [Re: Larryz]
Bossbandbob Offline

Loc: Central MA USA
Thanks for your responses folks. I had nearly given up getting any! This unit came out a few years ago (2006?) so it is no longer under warranty. It's also a rare bird as HZ only produced them for 2 years. The motors are tiny modern ones and not twin stacks like the original Leslie's so I'm not even sure they would heat up. All 3 pedals click the same and none work so I suspect the input circuitry which we will look into. Our guitar player is working as a roadie this week for Govt. Mule so I'll forward this info when he gets back.

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose