Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2495513 - 05/22/13 11:50 AM what's the problem?
Guitarzan Offline
10k Club

we occasionally hear the cries about the state of the music industry.
no more good music..

but in reality there is tons of new awesome music and players.

some players that pop into my head are Chistophe Godin, Guthrie Govan, Mattias Eklundt, Devon Townsend and Bumblefoot.

i am a huge fan of Freak Kitchen and Mattias Eklundt, the guy is an alien. if you haven't been exposed to "IA" (mattias) do check out some youtube vids.

this year was my 25th anniversary at my job and i went online to choose a gift...i chose a tablet which i added a micro sd for expanded memory. to top it off there was a free music offer from the manufacturer and i managed to score three Freak Kitchen albums!
we have no local Music retailers anymore so this was an awesome turn of events.
now i can enjoy kick ass music and watch 4 seasons of metalocalypse any where.

rock it, i will

GP Island
#2495614 - 05/22/13 04:20 PM Re: what's the problem? [Re: Guitarzan]
Bluesape Moderator Offline
10k Club

Loc: Ottawa
cool

#2495626 - 05/22/13 05:22 PM Re: what's the problem? [Re: Guitarzan]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
I saw Mattias Eklundh ( I could be spelling that wrong) at the Tokyo Music Instrument Fair when he was introducing the Caparison Apple Horn guitar. I didn`t know much about him at the time-he is screwball hilarious as well as a monster player. Great guitar too, definitely on my `if I win the lottery` list.

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2495631 - 05/22/13 05:56 PM Re: what's the problem? [Re: skipclone 1]
Dannyalcatraz Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
It's at least in part a perception problem, and one part "sour grapes."

Most of what sells big time is, in all honesty, disposable music.* The stuff that has deep lyrical, compositional or technical skill involved in its production often doesn't get much airplay or move huge numbers. Many deserving of accolade toil away in their studios, virtually unnoticed.

Example 1: I'd bet Justin Bieber's best-selling album has sold more than most of those guys mentioned combined..

Example 2: Jazz sells for crap in the USA, and even the best of the best tend to do better in Europe & Japan than here.

So some decry that.

But I figure that as long as the good stuff is attracting an audience, something is right in the world.

* don't get me wrong, I'm not an elitist. I have my fair share of ear candy in my collection.

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2495732 - 05/23/13 08:29 AM Re: what's the problem? [Re: Guitarzan]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Guitarzan

1) we occasionally hear the cries about the state of the music industry.

2) no more good music..

3) but in reality there is tons of new awesome music and players.

4) we have no local Music retailers anymore

1) on a business level the music industry is having some problems, a lot of them self-inflicted.

2) what music is "good" is subjective, so this is a hard thing to address

3) yes, and there's now direct channels for them to find and stay in contact with their audiences, which some of the older ways have collapsed. Some people love and thrive in the new paradigm, some don't.

4) One of the big problems in the new paradigm.

#2495774 - 05/23/13 10:02 AM Re: what's the problem? [Re: p90jr]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

a recent article that discusses it in length:

Survival of the Fittest in the New Music Industry
Bands are cutting costs, touring more and getting creative to make up for falling album sales
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/survival-of-the-fittest-in-the-new-music-industry-20121108

#2495782 - 05/23/13 10:22 AM Re: what's the problem? [Re: p90jr]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
p90 is correct in saying it's "subjective" in the case of what's "good" music, and what's not. But at least in this forum, we're all pretty much on the same page, with few exceptions. We all might not be in total agreement about particular artists, but mostly agree as to the current crop of "popular" recorded music "stars" sucking big time.

I've never heard of ANY of the artists mentioned by Guitarzan, but I'm willing to bet I'd like at least one of them, based solely his comments and expressed opinions made over time about other artists and music on this forum. I think it's safe to say that about the rest of you. As long as there are alternative outlets other than "commercial" based radio stations( for me, here in the Detroit area, it's the closest CBC FM station), people like us will always find decent music to listen to. Decent, at least, by OUR standards.
Whitefang

#2495798 - 05/23/13 11:04 AM Re: what's the problem? [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
I remember back to the late 60's when there were little storefronts you could go to with your 33's and 45's and have custom made 4track tapes made for your car player for 10cents a song. Kind of the Mp3 downloads of the day. You could be subjective with your cruze'n music when you were 17+/- and no longer had to listen to commercials on the AM radio. You could also make your own greatest hits albums so you didn't have to listen to all that album filler either. "Good" music has always been subjective and I guess it's whatever you want to listen to that counts...

#2495905 - 05/23/13 03:51 PM Re: what's the problem? [Re: whitefang]
Guitarzan Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: whitefang
p90 is correct in saying it's "subjective" in the case of what's "good" music, and what's not. But at least in this forum, we're all pretty much on the same page, with few exceptions. We all might not be in total agreement about particular artists, but mostly agree as to the current crop of "popular" recorded music "stars" sucking big time.

I've never heard of ANY of the artists mentioned by Guitarzan, but I'm willing to bet I'd like at least one of them, based solely his comments and expressed opinions made over time about other artists and music on this forum. I think it's safe to say that about the rest of you. As long as there are alternative outlets other than "commercial" based radio stations( for me, here in the Detroit area, it's the closest CBC FM station), people like us will always find decent music to listen to. Decent, at least, by OUR standards.
Whitefang

thanks for the kind words Whitefang, i posted a few of my favorite Freak Kitchen tunes in a new thread.
actually so far i haven't found any of their stuff i don't love 100%.

rock it, i will

#2496037 - 05/24/13 08:37 AM Re: what's the problem? [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Originally Posted By: Larryz
I remember back to the late 60's when there were little storefronts you could go to with your 33's and 45's and have custom made 4track tapes made for your car player for 10cents a song. Kind of the Mp3 downloads of the day. You could be subjective with your cruze'n music when you were 17+/- and no longer had to listen to commercials on the AM radio. You could also make your own greatest hits albums so you didn't have to listen to all that album filler either. "Good" music has always been subjective and I guess it's whatever you want to listen to that counts...

Yeah, I can recall when dudes would gravitate to the one guy they knew who had a cassette recorder among his sound set-up, and would gladly let you use it to make tapes for the car for the price of a rolled "herbal" cigarette. Ah, those were the days...
Whitefang

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose