Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Informal Drop In OT Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know how to fix a warped pickguard? Bought a guitar that needs this.

wraub

Any idea what it's made of? Is it something vintage, rare, real tortoise shell?

It would most likely be some mix of heat, moisture, time and pressure. Depending on the material the moisture factor may include some amount of re-hydration.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

JC- things are boring as ever here. How's life in Berzerkeley?

I actually have a thread re: the guitar on the GP forum.

bNb- It's a standard white perloid/mother of shower curtain material, from the peeps at Warmoth. Strat type, single hum.

Think Tom Delonge strat, which, honestly, you should, cuz it is.

;) Surf green.

The guitar is essentially a LP Jr, simple and fun. Limited in a good way, if that makes sense, like a P bass.

Nice enough of a guitar for my limited (but expanding) skill set, pretty well spec'd/assembled, somewhat collectible, got it cheap. No complaints.

Well, except for that damned pickguard. Have read of using sheets of glass and lo heat, have yet to try it.

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

I would put it between two 1/2 inch thick pine boards (or maybe oak) with a wet paper towel on either side of it (between the pickguard and the wood) and then bake it in an oven at a certain temperature for a certain amount of time. That might maybe would work.

I'm a helpful little cuss ain't I?

Push the button Frank.

Anyone know how to fix a warped pickguard? Bought a guitar that needs this.

wraub

Well, here's what I did. I placed the pickguard in sunlight (temp in the 90s today) on a flat piece of plywood, next to another piece of ply also in the sun. Waited around an hour. turned the guard upside down and placed the heated board on top. Left this in the sun for another 2 hours, then moved the whole thing inth the shade for another hour.

Removed about 90% of the warp.

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Nice. Was there clamping of the ply-guard-ply sandwich?

Also, nice to read you. I posted about the almost-was Seismic Bass Company in another thread just today. Perhaps you find it and check it out.

Peace.

--Dub $$

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

My work has been taken over by managers....

Seriously, we hire nothing but managers and directors these days.

Turned into Dilbert Land. We now have a manager of "Identity Management". Seriously. That is the title.

Wondering if the ship isn't starting to sink and giving serious consideration to jumping ship.

/sigh

Love my little boy. he is one of the greatest blessings I have ever received. It's all I can do not to leave work and go see him. I constantly look at his picture all day long. I cannot wait to see him after work. Holding him brings such great joy.

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

My taxes are finished. It took way too long 'cause my wife has some silly $600 worth of Sysco stock from when she worked there, and getting the 1099DIV from them is like pulling teeth. One year I forgot about the silly $21 of dividends 'cause I wasn't aware of the stock and never got the 1099DIV, and got audited for it. It was cleared up pretty quick, but still.....

It's too early in the day for a glass of celebration scotch.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Turned into Dilbert Land. We now have a manager of "Identity Management". Seriously. That is the title.

Wondering if the ship isn't starting to sink and giving serious consideration to jumping ship.

Do you or your company work for or subcontract to the feds?

Same way out here in DOE land. All these new MANDATORY programs for increasing efficiency, monitor worker safety, elimination of error precoursers, conduct of operations, corrective action managment, change management, audit and survellience staff (without drones). Although sequestration isn't the Apocolypse that some people were predicting, we did lose a few jobs.

Funny, how every time there's a budget cut, we stand to lose teachers, cops, fire fighters and first responders, and Saturday mail delivery, but never anything from the bloated middle management beauracracy.

Yes, my spelling sucks. I'm still on coffee #1.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

/sigh

Same thing happened to me. Sucks. We went from a great place to work to a corporate, trust no one battlefield. One of the best pieces of advice I've ever received was, "If it gets to the point that nobody has your back it's time to move your back." Hope everything works out for you.

Love my little boy. he is one of the greatest blessings I have ever received. It's all I can do not to leave work and go see him. I constantly look at his picture all day long. I cannot wait to see him after work. Holding him brings such great joy.

Sounds like you have your priorities in order. :) I'm a daddy three times over. It's far and away the greatest thing I've ever been.

Push the button Frank.

Same way out here in DOE land. All these new MANDATORY programs for increasing efficiency, monitor worker safety, elimination of error precursors, conduct of operations, corrective action management, change management, audit and surveillance staff ...

Same here in Environmental. Between the EPA, Florida DEP and TNI (The NELAC Institute) and their mandatory and non-funded mandatory regs, my workplace (Local Gov't, and I start year 21 there tomorrow) has become the definitive poster child for C.Y.A.

Quick story: When Jeb Bush was Governor he threatened to eliminate a healthy portion of middle management Health Dept jobs - you know the ones; people who sit at a desk and push work and paper to other people who push work and paper to other who push work and paper to other ...

Those people (who hadn't been 'on the bench' in 20 years) decided that we needed another organization to do the same thing the EPA and the DOH (Dept of Health) were already doing, but supposedly working independently (Ethics gain).

Except they weren't - they were still part of the DOH. Kinda like incest but worse - the taxpayers were footing the bill. They kept their state pensions and got a big pay increase.

My annual audit checklist went from 1 page to 25 and they can't get it done every year - maybe every 28 months.

I'd want their job, but I couldn't stand being completely disrespected by the people I (supposedly) represent.

Sorry - maybe that wasn't exactly "quick".

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

Tenstrum, sorry if I forgot what industry you are in but in my experience, working in the financial industry (my jobs having nothing to do with finance itself), when auditors and regulators start insisting that a company need to hire a bunch of "empty suits", the company will not be around much longer at least in it's current configuration. Closing, being sold and the dreaded "re-org". Another warning sign is the people that come in are from other "failed" institutions, possibly only with their last company one or two years before things drastically changed. Look at the the people's history, linkedin etc.
If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

I busted up my ski binding this week, had to rent a pair of skis for Friday skiing. Oh, man the rental was so much better than my old sticks. Lighter, quicker. Yet stable at speed. Knifed through choppy snow like butter. New sticks were just ordered. Well, used ones were ordered. Thanks, eBay.

• 2 weeks later...

In Myrtle Beach. Golf game is excellent. Anybody else here? What's the music scene like in the middle of the week?

And: We could use a few more players. 17 of us are her for golf, and golf comes in multiples of 4.

Your timing is off, by two weeks.

Darius Rucker's (Hootie of "Hootie and the Blowfish") "Monday After the Masters" takes place on the 15th. Pro/Am tourney, All-Star concert at the House of Blues, Mike and Mike from ESPN radio b'cast...

Don't feel too bad - it's already sold out, but looks like a ton of fun.

Obligatory linky: http://www.hootiegolf.com/

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

Indeed, missed Darius, but saw his mug on the marquee. That, and Steve Bailey wasn't in town as he's working at Berkley so didn't have any gigs in town and couldn't play golf. But, oh. Seeing him play again would have been a treat.

So I had to be satisfied with playing golf with a bunch of old men. In spite of the weather, we had a good time. I hit some stunning 3, 4, and 5 hybrids. And some truly stunning drives with my new (new to me) 13 degree driver (Uh, sort of a giant and glorified 3 wood). But: I scored better with the head cover put back on the driver since my hybrids were so effective. I was no longer intimidated by being 165 or more yards away from the green, and playing from the fairway was often more valuable than the extra 25 yards.

I haven't played guitar or bass or sang in a week. You'd think I'd be all jittery, but I'm not.

Me too...

Can't stay long, but I'm thinking about buying something. when that happens, I show up here...

How about a Stingray? I'll be coming to NYC on April 21 and can bring it with me. It would also be nice to do a GTG, I'm already having dialogue with Dan. I'll start a thread soon regarding this trip.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

• 1 month later...

Ok, is it just me, or is this wrong on some other level.

The cute, lithe, little chicky with the impossibly red hear on the Wendy's commercials ...

Has she ever been actually seen eating anything???? I mean she puts food up to her mouth, but you NEVER see her take a bite of or chew anything!

Did the ad agency call Wendy's with this?

"We've found the perfect spokes model for your product. Charming. Perky. Attractive. Only problem - she's vegan."

"That's a problem."

"Not really. She's would still be willing to do your commercials. She will just refuse to eat anything."

"Ok. That works."

There. I feel better now.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn