Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2493899 - 05/16/13 04:13 PM The more I play it, the more I dig it
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
The Fender Super Champ X2 that is. I have tweaked the thing slightly in Fuze, and the more I use it, the more I like it.

I have 3-45 minute sets of homemade backing tracks I rehearse against (a different one each day). On one set I use a harmony patch on my Digitech GNX2, so for that set and any set that I use my Strat clone, I rehearse with the Hot Rod Deluxe because I have some nice pedals in front of that with a channel switching pedal (Not the amp switching but before the amp) I can switch between the pedal board and the GNX2. Plus I use my Blues Driver as a boost for the Strat clone. So for those two instances I use the Hot Rod Deluxe. For my 3 other guitars and the other 2 sets I use the SCX2 which is 90% of the way to the outstanding tone I get from the Hot Rod Deluxe.

So as of now the SCX2 is a keeper. I got to turn it up today, and wow it is pretty loud. I have it under my computer table so I got down on the floor, guitar in hand and tweaked the volumes to see how ballsy the SCX2 actually is and wow I am pretty impressed with that 12 watts.........

Plus it is less than half the weight of the Hot Rod Deluxe which is the reason I have the SCX2. It is a quick grab and go, guitar in one hand and amp in the other. Bonus; the tone is excellent........

GP Island
#2493904 - 05/16/13 04:39 PM Re: The more I play it, the more I dig it [Re: desertbluesman]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Sounds nice- how does it compare in tone and size to your HRD?

I ask because I HAVE an HRD, and I think it is more amp than I really need, love it though I do.

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2493917 - 05/16/13 07:27 PM Re: The more I play it, the more I dig it [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
Glad the Champ is working out for you DBM. My HR Deville is doing a lot of closet time these days too. My grab and go is a little ZTclub12 and my Mustang Floor.

#2494114 - 05/17/13 12:49 PM Re: The more I play it, the more I dig it [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Dannyalcatraz
Sounds nice- how does it compare in tone and size to your HRD?

I ask because I HAVE an HRD, and I think it is more amp than I really need, love it though I do.

I would say; Because I put in an Eminence Lil Buddy hemp cone speaker it is 90% of the way there to excellent pro quality tone. Before the speaker change and the tweaking in Fuze, I was fairly disappointing with it truthfully. Once I did the tweaking in Fuze and changed and broke in the speaker, I have to say it is a keeper. Not perfect but so far with all the amps I have owned, no amp is perfect. The SCX2 is pretty darn good.....

#2494115 - 05/17/13 12:51 PM Re: The more I play it, the more I dig it [Re: Larryz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Larryz
Glad the Champ is working out for you DBM. My HR Deville is doing a lot of closet time these days too. My grab and go is a little ZTclub12 and my Mustang Floor.

My HRD is played several times a week just to keep the capacitors up to snuff. Plus I love the clean channel tone a bunch........

#2494123 - 05/17/13 01:08 PM Re: The more I play it, the more I dig it [Re: desertbluesman]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Of course the SCX2 with the Eminence Lil Buddy speaker is not totally perfect, but I have had almost every vintage Fender amp from black and silver face Deluxe, to Pro Reverb, 60's black face Bassman head, a Twin (My least favorite of all the Fender amps I have owned). I also had the amp called a Fender 30, not the modern one, but an all tube 30 watt point to point wired amp with channel switching the size of a deluxe (which is one of my all time favorites as well) I have had 4 Mesa Boogies, a Mark II C+ a Mark 4, a Mesa Strategy 400 power amp and Quad preamp, and a Lonestar Classic. Three or 4 Peavey's, 2 Music Man amps, a 50 watter and a hundred watter, A Seymour Duncan Amp that had a bunch of little add on's for the preamp tone. An original Marshall Plexi hundred watter. And of all those mid-big dollar amps, my all time favorite for tone is the Hot Rod Deluxe with a Nady Tube distortion stomp in front of the clean channel and of course the standard clean channel. The SCX2 comes pretty close to that in my estimation.

If I could find one of those Vintage Fender 30 amps, I would jump on it in a heartbeat.

#2494124 - 05/17/13 01:14 PM Re: The more I play it, the more I dig it [Re: desertbluesman]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

+1 on being in love with the clean channel of the Hot Rod amps...as for all the amps you have mentioned, I would take your least favorite (ie. The Twin). It is the only amp I've ever had that I miss. The only thing I don't miss about it was the weight. With my back problem, I just couldn't carry it with me anymore...

#2494145 - 05/17/13 03:18 PM Re: The more I play it, the more I dig it [Re: Larryz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Larryz
+1 on being in love with the clean channel of the Hot Rod amps...as for all the amps you have mentioned, I would take your least favorite (ie. The Twin). It is the only amp I've ever had that I miss. The only thing I don't miss about it was the weight. With my back problem, I just couldn't carry it with me anymore...

I never liked my Twin, not because it was a bad amp, but because at the time I was acting like a tube purist (snob) and did not use stomps in front of my amps. To get anything resembling a clean overdrive sound, the thing had to be at ear splitting volumes. Of course nowadays I could get around that with a nice tube distortion device, which is what I use on the HRD clean channel for overdrive sounds.

The beauty of the SCX2 is it has it's own overdrive sounds a plenty. All I gotta do is grab it and the channel switcher and a cable, and off I go amp in one hand and guitar in the other. Neat...

#2494147 - 05/17/13 03:33 PM Re: The more I play it, the more I dig it [Re: desertbluesman]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

By the way for my Hot Rod Deluxe I have this neato case with wheels and a telescoping handle like a suitcase handle. If there are a few steps or none I can move it around without too much trouble.

#2494154 - 05/17/13 04:26 PM Re: The more I play it, the more I dig it [Re: desertbluesman]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I have a small hand truck that moves my HR DeVille easily. It only weighs about 5lbs more than your HRD. Still a pain compared to the smaller Club12. The Twin adds another 5lbs and both Hot Rods and the Twin get heavy when picking them up and putting them in/out of the car. They are worth it though when playing larger venues or when you want that clean Fender tube sound at a higher volume.

I love the clean channel on my DeVille and much the same as your HRD you can go to the drive and more drive without cranking it all that much. I used the Twin for it's clean and pure sound and really didn't need to distort the amp for the Country Rock band I played in. The pedals make things a lot easier if you want to get overdriven sound on a Twin or even on the Hot Rods and skip their drive channels. I like playing clean for the most part at normal volumes (Jazz, Blues, Country, R&R) and seldom use distortion unless I'm playing with my rocker buds. Back in my Twin days, I never had the amp past 4 on the volume knob no matter how big the hall was. I liked to raise the amp about a foot off the floor on a stand and kept the top level to hold my drinks at that time.

Today I'm going direct to the PA using the Fender Mustang Floor in smaller venues and leaving the amps at home for the most part...

Edited by Larryz (05/17/13 04:33 PM)

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose