Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2493109 - 05/14/13 05:57 AM Spring Reverbs
02R96 Offline
Gold Member

Letís talk about spring reverbís!

My old Kustom II amp has one and I really like the sound of it, but a 60 watt amp is just too much for general basement playing. So I was looking at a good pedal to use with my Tiny Terror.

My TC Electronic Hall of Fame reverb has a spring setting, but itís not very realistic. I tried out a Boss 63 Fender Reverb which sounded really, really good, but there are other offerings from Wampler, Mad Professor and Iím sure others too. The holy grail seems to be from Van Amps with their Sole-Mate pedal (which is a real spring reverb), but itís over 260 bucks.

Iím leaning towards the Boss, but Iím open to suggestions.

"When you play a stadium you almost have to do a Mick Jagger where you wave a sash around and prance about. I canít quite do that..."

David Crosby talking about CSNY's 1974 Doom tour.

GP Island
#2493122 - 05/14/13 06:25 AM Re: Spring Reverbs [Re: 02R96]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
I hear good things about the Boss/Fender pedals, but haven't gotten to try one yet.

FWIW, I saw Elvis Costello a while back, and he had one of these - DanElectro Spring King.

That "Tap Plate" is for those of us who used to bang on our amps, to make the springs vibrate, but if you tap with enough force almost anywhere on the pedal, it'll work. The Dano gear looks cheap, and it's certainly inexpensive, but it holds up surprisingly well, given all that. I have a handful of Dano pedals that I've been using since they first came out, and none of them have failed me yet.

BTW, don't know if you'd seen the thread on the TC pedals failing. The switches are mounted to the circuit board, so when it breaks, there's no cheap fix.

Edited by Winston Psmith (05/14/13 07:28 AM)
Edit Reason: later thought

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/figures-of-speech

#2493205 - 05/14/13 08:56 AM Re: Spring Reverbs [Re: Winston Psmith]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
The newest version of Digital Performer includes a modeled spring reverb plug in. I was playing with it a few days ago & while it is very realistic, very accurately portraying the ping-y transient response of springs, I was mainly reminded of why I was so happy to have digital reverbs arrive at my price point in the early 80s. Not a sound I have any fondness for at all, but at least it's something that manufacturers are able to model quite realistically now.

#2493217 - 05/14/13 09:13 AM Re: Spring Reverbs [Re: Scott Fraser]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
Plug a Fender Mustang Floor ($199) into your Tiny Terror at a local GC or guitar store and you can dial in a nice 65 Deluxe Reverb sound...For me, there is only one must have sound that an amp must have and that's a spring reverb. I had the Boss Reverb pedal which had all kinds of verb (ie, spring, plate, room, hall, etc.) settings but I never really got the Fender sound I wanted out of it, and it can not compete with the Floor IMHO. I like a light Fender reverb sound and not syrupy unless I'm getting surfy...I was spoiled early on back in the day by my Twin Reverb amp. I still Love the old Ventures sound. It is nice to be able to throw on a touch of echo or delay with the verb for certain situations too...

#2493314 - 05/14/13 12:36 PM Re: Spring Reverbs [Re: Larryz]
Junior 1 Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Long Island
I have the Boss FRV-1 63 Spring Reverb. Like Larryz, I was spoiled by a Twin way back when.The Boss pedal almost gets there and I've been happy with it, weird sounds and all! I also have a Electro Harmonix Holy Stain. It has a great hall and room verb,and a tremolo with a touch of verb. After going through a bunch of reverb pedals, I'm happy with the Boss and the EH.

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose