Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2490628 - 05/05/13 12:10 AM Are there any well known Christian artists using axe fx?
webe123 Offline
Gold Member

I was just wondering this. Most from what I have seen are either country or rock artists.

I know Lincoln Brewster used an Axe Fx Ultra a couple years back but then switched to a pod HD 500? (Never did understand that! He said he did it so he could play something his fans could afford. But I am a "fan" of Joe Walsh....yet I doubt I could "afford" the gear HE has! But so what? Not going to make me any less of a fan.)

Anyway, are there other christian artists besides Lincoln Brewster that use an Axe Fx??

GP Island
#2490636 - 05/05/13 05:51 AM Re: Are there any well known Christian artists using axe fx? [Re: webe123]
H-A Forgiven Offline

Sorry, I have no clue.

#2490650 - 05/05/13 07:21 AM Re: Are there any well known Christian artists using axe fx? [Re: H-A Forgiven]
hurricane hugo Offline
Gold Member

here's some of their endorsees: http://www.fractalaudio.com/artists.php

...no idea as to their religious leanings, though. Does Dave Mustaine count?

#2490700 - 05/05/13 10:59 AM Re: Are there any well known Christian artists using axe fx? [Re: hurricane hugo]
Phloid Offline

Michelangelo used mallets and chisels, not sure about ever using an axe.

#2490827 - 05/06/13 01:21 AM Re: Are there any well known Christian artists using axe fx? [Re: hurricane hugo]
webe123 Offline
Gold Member

That was the list I was saying had country and rock musicians on it in my original post.

I was talking about christian musicians belonging to christian groups such as casting crowns for example.

#2490841 - 05/06/13 04:53 AM Re: Are there any well known Christian artists using axe fx? [Re: webe123]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
No idea. If they aren't being shown on their list of endorsers, probably not.

#2490858 - 05/06/13 06:09 AM Re: Are there any well known Christian artists using axe fx? [Re: picker]
Fred_C Offline
Gold Member

Loc: PA
I fail to see the significance of whether the product users are "Christian" or not. The product does what it does and if appropriate to your needs, then buy it. If it doesn't do what you need done, then buy something else. What has religious affiliation to do with the purchase decision?

#2490861 - 05/06/13 06:38 AM Re: Are there any well known Christian artists using axe fx? [Re: Fred_C]
The Geoff Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Glasgow
Perhaps that particular FX may be inherently evil??

grin

G.

#2490870 - 05/06/13 06:55 AM Re: Are there any well known Christian artists using axe fx? [Re: webe123]
hurricane hugo Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: webe123
That was the list I was saying had country and rock musicians on it in my original post.

I was talking about christian musicians belonging to christian groups such as casting crowns for example.

Switchfoot's not considered a Christian band anymore?

#2491003 - 05/06/13 01:24 PM Re: Are there any well known Christian artists using axe fx? [Re: hurricane hugo]
Eric Iverson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Jackson Heights, NY
Maybe Phil Keaggy does.

Re: the religious affiliations aren't really relevant to Christian musicians, when it comes to equipment we use.
Sometimes they are to Christian audiences and/or pastors, especially to "junior pastors" who judge things by other criteria, which they allege to be "spiritual"..... I'll leave that one alone, LOL - and don't mean to discredit many others without these issues.

I remember reading of a church that had a sitar player in the band and they had to ask him to step aside because some in the congregation thought the sitar was "snaky" and "devilish".
Hopefully no one thinks that about Axe FX Ultras.

#2491035 - 05/06/13 03:15 PM Re: Are there any well known Christian artists using axe fx? [Re: Eric Iverson]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meWZRR3HhGY <--- I would guess that Lincoln Brewster's guitar effects may a bit of overkill if played inside most churches...

Edited by Larryz (05/06/13 07:35 PM)
Edit Reason: clarification

#2491041 - 05/06/13 03:31 PM Re: Are there any well known Christian artists using axe fx? [Re: Eric Iverson]
Fred_C Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Eric Iverson

Re: the religious affiliations aren't really relevant to Christian musicians, when it comes to equipment we use.
Sometimes they are to Christian audiences and/or pastors, especially to "junior pastors" who judge things by other criteria, which they allege to be "spiritual"..... I'll leave that one alone, LOL - and don't mean to discredit many others without these issues.

I remember reading of a church that had a sitar player in the band and they had to ask him to step aside because some in the congregation thought the sitar was "snaky" and "devilish".
Hopefully no one thinks that about Axe FX Ultras.

Makes perfect sense. The logic is irrefutable. Doesn't sound at all like superstition.

#2491044 - 05/06/13 03:40 PM Re: Are there any well known Christian artists using axe fx? [Re: Eric Iverson]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles

The reason you have a sitar player in the band is precisely because they ARE snaky & devilish, demonstrably so. That's the whole appeal. In fact, all musical instruments are snaky & devilish.

#2491058 - 05/06/13 04:49 PM Re: Are there any well known Christian artists using axe fx? [Re: Fred_C]
webe123 Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Fred_C
I fail to see the significance of whether the product users are "Christian" or not. The product does what it does and if appropriate to your needs, then buy it. If it doesn't do what you need done, then buy something else. What has religious affiliation to do with the purchase decision?

And I fail to see your reasoning! I simply asked if P+W (Praise and Worship) or Christian artists (all the same to me) used an axe fx for their recordings because that is what I listen to.

I really fail to see the snarky attitude you have twords me, when I only asked a simple question.

If you don't like my question, read another post! There are plenty more on this board, but quit acting like I don't even have a right to ask this!

Because if someone asked if their favorite metal band used an axe fx, I doubt very seriously they would get the attitude you seem to display.

This was NOT about Christianity, but rather groups in that genere that were using an axe fx professionally.

Edited by webe123 (05/06/13 04:50 PM)

#2491064 - 05/06/13 05:31 PM Re: Are there any well known Christian artists using axe fx? [Re: webe123]
Fred_C Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: webe123

And I fail to see your reasoning! I simply asked if P+W (Praise and Worship) or Christian artists (all the same to me) used an axe fx for their recordings because that is what I listen to.

I really fail to see the snarky attitude you have twords me, when I only asked a simple question.

This was NOT about Christianity, but rather groups in that genere that were using an axe fx professionally.

Thank you for your thoughtful and insightful response.

There is nothing wrong with my reasoning. It is completely logical. Product functionality transcends genre.

I should mention that "tword" is actually spelled "toward" and "genere" is actually spelled "genre".

That being said, you are correct. I shouldn't pursue this any further. And with that, I bid you a good evening, sir. wink

Edited by Fred_C (05/06/13 05:55 PM)
Edit Reason: content

#2491163 - 05/07/13 05:08 AM Re: Are there any well known Christian artists using axe fx? [Re: Fred_C]
Griffinator Global Moderator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
10k Club

Loc: Lynchburg, VA, USA
And this is why we tend to avoid religious discussions in this forum.

Fred's original question was not unreasonable - he was seeking an understanding of why you specifically wanted examples of CCM bands that used the equipment in question.

Please, let's keep it civil.
I would also watch [the Super Bowl halftime show] if applDeApp and Tabu were doused in hot oil, covered in feathers, and then set on fire while will.I.am was trepanned live.... and I would leave the sound on.

#2491164 - 05/07/13 05:13 AM Re: Are there any well known Christian artists using axe fx? [Re: Griffinator]
Fred_C Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Griffinator
And this is why we tend to avoid religious discussions in this forum.

Fred's original question was not unreasonable - he was seeking an understanding of why you specifically wanted examples of CCM bands that used the equipment in question.

Please, let's keep it civil.

Thanks, Griff. I too did not feel that my original post was unreasonable.

#2491166 - 05/07/13 05:17 AM Re: Are there any well known Christian artists using axe fx? [Re: Fred_C]
TPS cook & bottle washer
10k Club

I had the same thought when I read the thread title - if you find an Axe FX potentially useful in your sound, why would it be contingent on whether others in the CCM world use it?

Perhaps my wording is a bit more neutral, but it doesn't invalidate the spirit of the question.
I would also watch [the Super Bowl halftime show] if applDeApp and Tabu were doused in hot oil, covered in feathers, and then set on fire while will.I.am was trepanned live.... and I would leave the sound on.

#2491205 - 05/07/13 07:48 AM Re: Are there any well known Christian artists using axe fx? [Re: Fred_C]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Thanks, Griff. I too did not feel that my original post was unreasonable.

I think the problem was one person using the term "Christian" as a musical genre (I think 'Praise' is the more common term,) & the other understanding it to mean religious affiliation. Just a semantic miscommunication I think.

#2491232 - 05/07/13 09:16 AM Re: Are there any well known Christian artists using axe fx? [Re: Scott Fraser]
TPS cook & bottle washer
10k Club

Problem there, Scott, is that "Christian" is a term applied to all sorts of genres from death metal to C&W. It, by definition, applies to religious affiliation when not specifically referring to CCM or P&W...

#2491246 - 05/07/13 10:00 AM Re: Are there any well known Christian artists using axe fx? [Re: Griffinator]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

It doesn't matter to me if a well known Christian artist uses a sitar, reverb, distortion or any other effects unit or an axe fx. I did not find Fred's question out of line in any way and didn't see any reference in the OP to "recording". When we post a topic and an opinion, we may or may not like any or all of the responses we get. We have a lot of church band forumites that post questions and opinions and we all try to be respectful.

I'm sure there are a few well known Christian artists out there using axe fx's, but I would not know who they are as I do not tune in to CCM, P&W, Praise, Christian or whatever the genre is called. I don't listen to Heavy Metal either and equally could not name those artists. I know we also try to avoid religion and politics as much as we can and stick to the LP vs Strat philosophy...+1 Griff. cool

Edited by Larryz (05/07/13 10:02 AM)

#2491248 - 05/07/13 10:09 AM Re: Are there any well known Christian artists using axe fx? [Re: Larryz]
Fred_C Offline
Gold Member

Brother Larry,

Thanks.

Brother Fred

#2491258 - 05/07/13 10:36 AM Re: Are there any well known Christian artists using axe fx? [Re: Fred_C]
Eric Iverson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Jackson Heights, NY
There are MANY different approaches to music in the Christian community.
Quite often, there is no real MUSICAL difference in "Christian" music - same chords, same scales, same type of song structures. The difference is really in the lyrics.
If anyone is interested, on You Tube you can find Christian jazz artists also, and of course classical music.
What type of music is heard is played at a particular church depends on a lot of factors, one main one being "what is the congregation used to hearing?" Some of them are very tradition-bound, and others are more open minded.
But there are tradition-bound and open minded people in other venues, too, of course. Do you think it would be accepted if you brought in a classical guitar to a blues bar and tried to play Segovia's greatest hits, LOL?

#2491354 - 05/07/13 02:04 PM Re: Are there any well known Christian artists using axe fx? [Re: Fred_C]
Bartholomew Offline

Loc: Montreal

Ditto, right-on, good-one. Exactly what I thought immediately.

Plus I've never ever heard of any player anywhere using "equipment his fans could afford" - no insult intended to anyone posting here. How ridiculous is that ?

http://www.bandmix.ca/jamrocker/

#2491373 - 05/07/13 02:32 PM Re: Are there any well known Christian artists using axe fx? [Re: Bartholomew]
Fred_C Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Bartholomew

Ditto, right-on, good-one. Exactly what I thought immediately.

Plus I've never ever heard of any player anywhere using "equipment his fans could afford" - no insult intended to anyone posting here. How ridiculous is that ?

Bartholomew,

Thank you for your support. I feel that I have been vindicated by the concurrence of other forum members like yourself. Truth be told, I feel that I have been unjustly accused and that an apology would be in order. Thanks again.

#2491413 - 05/07/13 04:46 PM Re: Are there any well known Christian artists using axe fx? [Re: Eric Iverson]
TPS cook & bottle washer
10k Club

There are MANY different approaches to music in the Christian community.
Quite often, there is no real MUSICAL difference in "Christian" music - same chords, same scales, same type of song structures. The difference is really in the lyrics.
If anyone is interested, on You Tube you can find Christian jazz artists also, and of course classical music.
What type of music is heard is played at a particular church depends on a lot of factors, one main one being "what is the congregation used to hearing?" Some of them are very tradition-bound, and others are more open minded.
But there are tradition-bound and open minded people in other venues, too, of course. Do you think it would be accepted if you brought in a classical guitar to a blues bar and tried to play Segovia's greatest hits, LOL?

Agreed. All the OP had to say in response to the question Fred posed was "well, I'm getting some static from people in my P&W band about using this piece of gear (since he already owns it, per the thread last month) and I was looking to calm them down a bit by showing examples of its use in P&W and CCM."

I guarantee not one person here would have had an issue with that response. People were just looking to understand context was all.

#2491414 - 05/07/13 04:50 PM Re: Are there any well known Christian artists using axe fx? [Re: Griffinator]
TPS cook & bottle washer
10k Club

PS: This is Christian music...

So is this...

and this...

Safe to say the only thing that ties them together is the subject matter...

#2491433 - 05/07/13 06:42 PM Re: Are there any well known Christian artists using axe fx? [Re: Griffinator]
webe123 Offline
Gold Member

It seems most if not all the people on here are clueless as to what I was asking...I was simply asking if christian groups such as casting crowns (a contemporary christian band) were using the axe fx and I get accused of spouting off christainity!

That is simply INSANE! Read what I posted people! I asked about christian groups using an axe fx in thier recordings. Then it turned into something else! I get accused of breaking rules on christian posings! WOW! That is all I can say...just WOW! It had NOTHING do DO with christianity people! OPther than the groups themselves being a christian music group! Whgy does that seem to get people so riled UP?

And Griffinator, I do not know where you get that I was getting some kind of..."grief" from my congregation using an axe fx but YOU are dead WRONG! They love my sound....I was simply wondering why more artists were not using one?

Artist like this...this is casting crowns...in the christian world they are kind of like the Eagles were in the secular world. They came out with hit after hit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QASREBVDsLk

This is not rocket science people. And if asking a simple question like that is going to get people all up in arms and accuse ME of things they are clueless about...forget that I asked.... GOOD GRIEF!

Edited by webe123 (05/07/13 06:48 PM)

#2491436 - 05/07/13 06:59 PM Re: Are there any well known Christian artists using axe fx? [Re: webe123]
H-A Forgiven Offline

Dude, webe123, just chill out a little. The guys just didn't understand why a band's purpose (Christian or non-Christian) meant anything to you when it came to the sound you like. I kind of see where you're coming from, because I listen pretty much only to Christian music, and I've noticed that even genres that are the same except for being Christian/non-Christian do have a slight difference in the way they sound. The rest of these guys just didn't understand you. Don't take it so personally, man.

#2491447 - 05/07/13 07:48 PM Re: Are there any well known Christian artists using axe fx? [Re: H-A Forgiven]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM7gt_cSxjw <--- this is what I think of as Christian music and would expect to hear if I ever decide to go to church again. If Crimson Thorn is what is playing, I would leave and have to miss the sermon. You are right webe123 I know nothing of what the genre has become these days. My comments are directed at the question you asked "Are there any well known Christian artists using axe fx?" I'm sure there are and in no way wish to offend or accuse you of anything...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose