Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2489748 - 05/01/13 12:05 PM G&L Tribute SeriesTele
Junior 1 Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Long Island
I'd like to get some oppions on the G&L Tribute series Tele's. They call them the Asat. Did Leo make a better single coil?

GP Island
#2489784 - 05/01/13 01:41 PM Re: G&L Tribute SeriesTele [Re: Junior 1]
russclan Offline

The Tributes are the import versions of the US models. Same pups, I believe, but the US models use better woods, brass saddles, etc.

The ASAT is what Leo considered an updated, improved Tele.

In general, the Tributes tend to get good praise for what they are.

#2489833 - 05/01/13 04:36 PM Re: G&L Tribute SeriesTele [Re: russclan]
Bluesape Moderator Offline
10k Club

Loc: Ottawa
Agreed!

#2489887 - 05/01/13 09:32 PM Re: G&L Tribute SeriesTele [Re: Bluesape]
Phloid Offline

I have a USA made ASAT (non-Tribute). I love the guitar. The MFD pickups are very responsive and sound wonderful. I have no desire to replace them. I have a Legacy (Strat type G&L) and the stock Alnico pickups sound very good but I prefer the extra bite that MFDs provide. I have played quite a few US made models and a couple Tributes. I have seen conflicting specs online but the Tributes have a 9" neck radius where the US made models have a 12" radius (speaking of newer ASAT models as earlier models had a 7.5" radius).

I believe you could find Tributes and US made G&Ls that feel equal to one another in quality and playability. The point here being that quality materials and attention to detail are not necessarily exclusive to the US made models. Both are very good guitars and the things that make a guitar comfortable to play exist in both. However, the US made models do utilize superior materials overall. The pickups are the same in many models. I think the neck pickup in a Tribute ASAT Bluesboy is different than a US made ASAT Bluesboy for example though.

The US made models are all PLEKd since 2006(?) and chances are great that you will prefer more US models to Tributes and not like Tributes once you have had a taste of the US made models, the US made guitars having so much going for them on multiple levels.

Pulled from the GuitarsByLeo Forum:

"USA model has a 10 year warranty, the Tribute has a 2 year warranty.
USA model's neck is Plek'd, the Tribute is not.
USA model has chrome-plated brass saddles on the bridge, the Tribute has nickel plated die-cast saddles.
USA model comes with a Tolex case, the Tribute comes with a gig bag.
USA model can be custom ordered with many options available, the Tribute is limited to one color and two different fretboard choices.

The Made in Korea G&L S-500 and Legacy Tributes did have the 12" radius neck.
When G&L switched to the Indonesia factory, the neck radius for all Tribute
instruments changed to a 9" radius neck."

#2489923 - 05/02/13 05:10 AM Re: G&L Tribute SeriesTele [Re: Phloid]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
I had one of the Korean-made Tribute Legacy models for a short time. It was very similar in feel and build quality to a MIM Strat - not bad, but not outstanding, either. They really don't compare to the US-made G&L's, I might even suggest that you'll have more options to choose from, if you look at the various Fender models.

Going in a slightly different direction, if you want a really good Strat-style guitar, look at the Godin Session models - Godin Session. Beautiful guitars, incredible build quality for the price.

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/figures-of-speech

#2489987 - 05/02/13 09:31 AM Re: G&L Tribute SeriesTele [Re: Winston Psmith]
Junior 1 Offline
Platinum Member

Thanks for all the input. I have a chance to get a transparent blue Tribute Asat with a maple board for $300. It's from a friend and is as new. Still have to try it, but I'm a Fender guy, so I'm thinking I'll like it.

#2489997 - 05/02/13 09:53 AM Re: G&L Tribute SeriesTele [Re: Junior 1]
5 string Mike Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Southwestern Michigan USA
My buddy has the G&L Tribute Tele, and he likes it. He's a Tele guy anyway- his main axe is a VM Squier Tele with the mini bridge humbucker and 2 single coils. If he's not playing that, he's either playing the G&L Tele or a PRS.

He doesn't play it as much anymore, but the pickups are stock and pretty hot. He seems to think they have a bit more bite to them than a MIM tele.

For $300, I'd give it a shot. You should be able to get that back out of it if you don't like it.

#2490017 - 05/02/13 10:55 AM Re: G&L Tribute SeriesTele [Re: 5 string Mike]
CEB Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The original ASAT pickups were ugly! They sounded OK but yuck!

#2490052 - 05/02/13 12:16 PM Re: G&L Tribute SeriesTele [Re: CEB]
Junior 1 Offline
Platinum Member

The original pickups were those zig zag ones I think! Even the ones on this guitar seem oversized actually. I play a MIM Strat, a Squier Duosonic and a Melody Maker. I prefer the Fender radius neck and the C shape to the Melody Maker, although I love the single coil in the Melody Maker. I thought the G&L would fit in and I like Tele's.

#2490071 - 05/02/13 01:18 PM Re: G&L Tribute SeriesTele [Re: Junior 1]
CEB Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The pickups originally were big square almost P90 looking pickups the G&L used on their first generation guitars in the 80s. I had a SC1 with a single pickup on it. It sounded fine and the neck played great.

Here is a picture of an 86 ASAT

Edited by CEB (05/02/13 01:21 PM)

#2490077 - 05/02/13 01:31 PM Re: G&L Tribute SeriesTele [Re: CEB]
Junior 1 Offline
Platinum Member

I know they don't sound like Fender pickups, but do they have anything like a P90 sound?

#2490089 - 05/02/13 02:03 PM Re: G&L Tribute SeriesTele [Re: Junior 1]
CEB Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I never owned a guitar with P90s.

The pickups were clear and articulate but had more punch than fender single coils. They had a good sound in my opinion.

#2490172 - 05/02/13 06:34 PM Re: G&L Tribute SeriesTele [Re: CEB]
Phloid Offline

Originally Posted By: CEB
The original ASAT pickups were ugly! They sounded OK but yuck!

I think that is subjective and dependent upon expectations. On their own they are no worse than any other pickup design. Comparing them to a traditional Telecaster pickup they are certainly larger but hardly "ugly" or repulsive. There have long since been a number of ASATs with larger pickups and people are more open to the different appearance of the larger MFDs. Nowadays guitar pickups exist in many forms and sizes.

The ASAT came from the G&L Broadcaster which was the first venture back to a traditional body style for G&L. They had tried more unique body styles but their designs were not selling well enough and G&L was losing money. It was both an evolution with the bridge and pickups as well as a return to the past utilizing a Telecaster form.

#2490305 - 05/03/13 10:57 AM Re: G&L Tribute SeriesTele [Re: CEB]
Junior 1 Offline
Platinum Member

Well, I'll get to try it out in about a week. Not real fond of blue, but it has nice grain in the pictures. It's an old friend that's very techy, so the setup should be great.

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose