Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2489672 - 05/01/13 08:21 AM Say WHAAAA...? Age surprise
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Back when we first got cable TV in my area, 'bout '81 0r '82, my kids relentlessly watched MTV and all the video nonsense. Didn't take too much to most the "music" they were playing, and the whole idea of the irrelevant videos it was played over struck me as kinda stupid.

But then one day, a video of some guy named BILLY SQUIRE came on, and I came in from the kitchen to see who this was. "That kid's not too bad" I thought. I even bought his album, although I was not a RABID fan, just thought this youngster had a good sound. Aftr all, I was an old fart of 30, and this whippersnapper looked all of 19!

Lately, due to subscription and XM radio being piped into many area restraunts, I've been hearing a lot of Squire's early stuff. Led me to wondering whatever became of him. So I hit the web and Wiki-fied him.

LO and BE-hold, it showed that this KID, the "Whippersnapper" is OLDER THAN ME! Ok, by only about 10 months or so, but STILL.

Surprised me, to say the least. Any musical artist ever surprise anyone else here in that fashion?
Whitefang

GP Island
#2489811 - 05/01/13 02:58 PM Re: Say WHAAAA...? Age surprise [Re: whitefang]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Chris Isaak is older than I thought...by a good deal.

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2489954 - 05/02/13 07:00 AM Re: Say WHAAAA...? Age surprise [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Me and my buddies were surprised by how "old" JOHN MAYALL was when we first heard of him, too.
Whitefang

#2489975 - 05/02/13 08:21 AM Re: Say WHAAAA...? Age surprise [Re: whitefang]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: whitefang
Me and my buddies were surprised by how "old" JOHN MAYALL was when we first heard of him, too.
Whitefang

And what about the drummer for Spirit.

#2490273 - 05/03/13 08:35 AM Re: Say WHAAAA...? Age surprise [Re: Scott Fraser]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Originally Posted By: Scott Fraser
Whitefang

Ed "Mr. Skin" Cassidy passed away recently, back in December, at the age of 89. He was also Spirit guitarist Randy California's stepfather. The family that plays together . . .

The one that surprised me was Tuli Kupferberg, of the Fugs - not exactly a household name, I know. He was 86 when he died in 2010.

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/figures-of-speech

#2490321 - 05/03/13 12:01 PM Re: Say WHAAAA...? Age surprise [Re: Winston Psmith]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith
Originally Posted By: Scott Fraser
Whitefang

Ed "Mr. Skin" Cassidy passed away recently, back in December, at the age of 89. He was also Spirit guitarist Randy California's stepfather. The family that plays together . . .

As a teen, into Spirit a lot, I was always amazed that somebody a whole generation older than every other rocker in the world at that time could be interested in playing in a rock band. Rock was so generationally polarizing then, & here was a guy my parents' age playing in a very cool band. It was just unheard of, baffling, & in retrospect, very cool.

Quote:
The one that surprised me was Tuli Kupferberg, of the Fugs - not exactly a household name, I know. He was 86 when he died in 2010.

The Fugs at least LOOKED old. I didn't know until recently that they were part of the beat scene, Ginsburg's poet crowd in the 50s & 60s.
One of the stalwarts of the LA improv/jazz scene is Don Preston, who has been around forever & is somewhere in his late 70s now. We know him as a local avant jazz guy, but the world knows him as an original Mother of Invention. He's basically the guy who taught FZ everything he knew about jazz.

#2490325 - 05/03/13 12:23 PM Re: Say WHAAAA...? Age surprise [Re: Scott Fraser]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I was surprised when I found out Mick Mars of Mötley Crüe fame was born in 1951- between 7-11 years older than anyone else in the band.

#2490337 - 05/03/13 12:44 PM Re: Say WHAAAA...? Age surprise [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Dannyalcatraz
I was surprised when I found out Mick Mars of Mötley Crüe fame was born in 1951- between 7-11 years older than anyone else in the band.

Damn, he's even older than me!

#2490338 - 05/03/13 12:48 PM Re: Say WHAAAA...? Age surprise [Re: Scott Fraser]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Another one: Andy Summers, born in 1942, is 9 years older than Sting and 10 years older than Stewart Copeland.

#2490348 - 05/03/13 01:16 PM Re: Say WHAAAA...? Age surprise [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
duff beer Offline

Loc: Winnipeg
Jerry Mercer, the drummer for April Wine, was born April 27, 1939, which makes him 74. He retired in 2009.

#2490383 - 05/03/13 03:50 PM Re: Say WHAAAA...? Age surprise [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Another one: Andy Summers, born in 1942, is 9 years older than Sting and 10 years older than Stewart Copeland.

Did y'all know that the Copeland Brothers own the Police. It is not a band of brothers it is a business venture started by the Copeland Brothers. I know this because a buddy of mine produces TV and music over there in Beverly Hills Ca. (And I have been in his Pro Tools HD studio too, what a difference from anything else I have ever heard) Anyways he used to feed the whole band back in there early days when they did not have a pot to urinate in, so he goes all the way back with Copeland to the beginning days. He told me that little snippet on a ride from Phoenix to Sedona one day, (among other little insider bits of info about them and the Beatles).

#2490485 - 05/04/13 07:27 AM Re: Say WHAAAA...? Age surprise [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Hey! THAT makes him MY age!
Whitefang

#2490715 - 05/05/13 11:42 AM Re: Say WHAAAA...? Age surprise [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

yep... he was my fave rock star as a kid, and finding out back then that he was older than my mom (and that Debbie Harry was the same age as my mom) was pretty strange,

If you haven't read Summers' autobiography, it's a great story of a musician's journey,

#2490719 - 05/05/13 11:53 AM Re: Say WHAAAA...? Age surprise [Re: desertbluesman]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: desertbluesman

Did y'all know that the Copeland Brothers own the Police. It is not a band of brothers it is a business venture started by the Copeland Brothers. I know this because a buddy of mine produces TV and music over there in Beverly Hills Ca. (And I have been in his Pro Tools HD studio too, what a difference from anything else I have ever heard) Anyways he used to feed the whole band back in there early days when they did not have a pot to urinate in, so he goes all the way back with Copeland to the beginning days. He told me that little snippet on a ride from Phoenix to Sedona one day, (among other little insider bits of info about them and the Beatles).

Generally, whoever names a band owns the name as intellectual property.

But yeah, Stewart started the band, Miles was on as manager and record company owner and Ian booked them. I believe Sting continued to be managed and booked by Miles and Ian, but couldn't play with Stewart because of personality/control conflicts. Andy hinted somewhere that he quit Animal Logic before they recorded because he couldn't stand dealing with Miles anymore, who of course was the manager.

#2490721 - 05/05/13 12:01 PM Re: Say WHAAAA...? Age surprise [Re: p90jr]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

It's interesting reading about how bands were formed. More often then not they were built by managers around someone.

The Copeland brothers (Ian, Miles) also figure prominently in the history of R.E.M. The rhythm section of Bill Berry and Mike Mills were Ian Copeland's assistants at Paragon Booking (when it tried to adapt to the decline of Southern rock and rise of punk and new wave briefly in the late 70s) and erstwhile bandmates. When they got R.E.M. going he booked them and they were signed right away to Miles' label, IRS records.

#2490919 - 05/06/13 08:57 AM Re: Say WHAAAA...? Age surprise [Re: p90jr]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

That MAY be true in more recent years, but generally, most bands many of those personel came from were formed by a bunch of buddies getting together and discovering they can make music. Your statement was used in another forum I frequent to claim THE WHO were formed specifically to showcase Pete Townshend's music. This isn't true, of course. But the truth of the practice must be strong enough to have led that person to believe so.
Whitefang

#2491537 - 05/08/13 07:40 AM Re: Say WHAAAA...? Age surprise [Re: p90jr]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
Originally Posted By: p90jr
Originally Posted By: desertbluesman

Generally, whoever names a band owns the name as intellectual property.

But yeah, Stewart started the band, Miles was on as manager and record company owner and Ian booked them. I believe Sting continued to be managed and booked by Miles and Ian, but couldn't play with Stewart because of personality/control conflicts. Andy hinted somewhere that he quit Animal Logic before they recorded because he couldn't stand dealing with Miles anymore, who of course was the manager.

That`s too bad, I liked Animal Logic although I did read that Debra Holland`s vocals sounded better in the studio. Even with Nile Rogers on board I think they only recorded one CD.

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2491543 - 05/08/13 07:51 AM Re: Say WHAAAA...? Age surprise [Re: skipclone 1]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

They actually dropped 2 CDs, Animal Logic and Animal Logic II.

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose