Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2489544 - 04/30/13 07:14 PM And now, let me introduce you all too...
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
...Uncle Mutt!!! A guy I know gave me a Northern Ash body blank that somebody had rouchly cut into the shape of a telecaster. A friend of mine, name of Drew, who does guitar work said he'd rout the cavities and neck pocket for me, as well as round off the edges, all for $40. I, of course said "YES!!!"

I had a bunch of tele parts laying around, including a neck I believe started out on a Squier strat that somebody cut the headstock down into tele shape, but not all I need to put it together. I exercised my skills as a bottom-feeder on Ebay, and found what I needed very inexpensively. My friend Drew had to wait till the weather warmed up before he could do the routing because his unheated garage is his woodshop.

It turned out that the "tele" neck has a very bad backbow, and won't be usable without pulling all the frets and planing the fretboard down before refretting. But, I had the neck of a mex strat that wasn't doing anything, and Drew used it instead, and even put a bone nut in that he had laying around. He got it put together this last weekend.

It remains for me to sand the body smooth and put some sort of finish on it. I'm going back and forth between tung oil, Tru oil, or linseed oil, and what has been described to me as a wipe on polyurethane finish. Any suggestions from you guys about how to proceed would be welcome.

And the name? I looked at it with all it's disparate parts, and thought "what a mutt!" it was then that I remembered my Great-uncle Earl, whose nickname had been "Mutt" all his life. So, in honor of the memory of Uncle Earl Barnhill, I christened it "Uncle Mutt". Say hello, y'all...

GP Island
#2489547 - 04/30/13 07:34 PM Re: And now, let me introduce you all too... [Re: picker]
H-A Forgiven Offline

Nice! Me like.

#2489552 - 04/30/13 08:36 PM Re: And now, let me introduce you all too... [Re: picker]
picker Offline
10k Club

I should ad that, after playing Mutt at a rehearsal this weekend, I can say he rips like a rabid beardog!

#2489562 - 04/30/13 09:21 PM Re: And now, let me introduce you all too... [Re: picker]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Yeah, buddy!

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2489564 - 04/30/13 09:31 PM Re: And now, let me introduce you all too... [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Bluesape Moderator Offline
10k Club

Loc: Ottawa
Niiiice!

#2489566 - 04/30/13 09:48 PM Re: And now, let me introduce you all too... [Re: Bluesape]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Hello Uncle Mutt, you is lookin goooooood.....

Cool story amigo.

#2489567 - 04/30/13 09:53 PM Re: And now, let me introduce you all too... [Re: desertbluesman]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I have a homemade strat/tele hybrid I made from parts I hewed the body myself and had a neck from Stew Mac. I went out to the Ace Hardware got some acrylic lacquer in a spray can and shot the thing (body) outside in St Augustine Florida one spring day in the early 90's under the awning of my RV. Of course that day I had not yet installed the parts/electronics, but that is what they make masking tape for too.... I still play that guitar every 4th day to this day, and it is my favorite tone of any guitar I own. (Duncan Distortion in the bridge and Duncan little 59'ers in neck and middle)

#2489611 - 05/01/13 06:07 AM Re: And now, let me introduce you all too... [Re: desertbluesman]
Minte Offline

Loc: Madison
That is one nice guitar! congrats

#2489619 - 05/01/13 06:44 AM Re: And now, let me introduce you all too... [Re: Minte]
Danzilla Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Bend those strings till it cries "Uncle!"
Nice build. So your all-in costs are... under $200?

#2489624 - 05/01/13 07:02 AM Re: And now, let me introduce you all too... [Re: Danzilla]
Caevan O'Shite Online   sleepy
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Nice. Talk to wraub about semi-polymerized tung oil, IIRC.

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2489641 - 05/01/13 07:39 AM Re: And now, let me introduce you all too... [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
Very Cool! cool

#2489678 - 05/01/13 08:32 AM Re: And now, let me introduce you all too... [Re: Larryz]
picker Offline
10k Club

I meant to add that the bridge p/up is a Samarium Cobalt Noiseless, and the 'bucker at the neck is something I've had laying around for so long I don't remember where it came from, but I'm sure it's nothing very special. Weird thing though, it kicks like a mule, and is very balanced with SCN bridge p/up. Go figure...

#2489703 - 05/01/13 09:53 AM Re: And now, let me introduce you all too... [Re: picker]
5 string Mike Online   content
Platinum Member

Loc: Southwestern Michigan USA
That is a sweet axe. rawk

Isn't it cool when a guitar made of scraps just rawks like no one's business?

#2489728 - 05/01/13 10:56 AM Re: And now, let me introduce you all too... [Re: picker]
hurricane hugo Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: picker

It remains for me to sand the body smooth and put some sort of finish on it. I'm going back and forth between tung oil, Tru oil, or linseed oil, and what has been described to me as a wipe on polyurethane finish. Any suggestions from you guys about how to proceed would be welcome.

maybe smoke it before oiling/sealing? just a thought.

#2489743 - 05/01/13 11:56 AM Re: And now, let me introduce you all too... [Re: hurricane hugo]
Junior 1 Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Long Island
I've used wipe on poly and tung oil on my cigar box projects. Although it seals the wood, I like the look of the poly better and it's very easy to apply. I usually do 3 coats, using steel wool in between. It comes very smooth and the grain really jumps out. Tung oil is also a nice finish, just doesn't have the luster. It also lets the wood breath. Really nice Tele.

#2489843 - 05/01/13 06:33 PM Re: And now, let me introduce you all too... [Re: Junior 1]
Lokair Offline

Loc: Braeburn PA
Uncle mutt looks great , and being one who likes leftover parts and home builds. And I just finnished my rebuild fender Paul . So here is a photo

It screams too . It's a barn wood stain , with a 3/4 poly clear on it .

Lok
Ps not trying to jump your thread , just wanted to share.

#2489851 - 05/01/13 07:19 PM Re: And now, let me introduce you all too... [Re: Lokair]
picker Offline
10k Club

It's cool, love seeing the axe. Anybodu else got a parts-o-caster like these you wanna show?

#2489856 - 05/01/13 07:28 PM Re: And now, let me introduce you all too... [Re: picker]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
Glad you got her done Lok! Sounds like those EMG's are working well for you...

#2491068 - 05/06/13 05:43 PM Re: And now, let me introduce you all too... [Re: hurricane hugo]
picker Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: hurricane hugo

maybe smoke it before oiling/sealing? just a thought.

Smoke it? I'm not sure what you mean. Tell me about it?

#2492656 - 05/12/13 01:18 PM Re: And now, let me introduce you all too... [Re: picker]
pinkjimiphoton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: new england, usa
i'd tong oil it bro if ya like the wood look... just read the instructions on the can... make sure it's tung oil tho, not a wiping varnish.
if ya go that route (the natural look/feel) cut the tung oil 50/50 with mineral spirits, apply a coat with a rag, let it soak in some, and then wipe it off. let it dry a day or so, then hit it again, and rub it with some steel wool. tach cloth it to get all the crud off, then do it again. do this as many times as you can stand to do.. the deeper the oil, the longer lasting the finish will be.
after about 4-7 coats, use full strength tung oil. let dry between coats.
you don't have to necessarily sand at this point.
when you get 3-4 good coats of tung oil on, rub it all down until smooth with some 0000 steel wool. tack it well, and you'll have a hard polymerized surface that's wear/waterproof, still feels like wood, and still resonates almost like bare wood.
getting ready to do this with one of the firebirds i'm building.

rock on picker!

#2493000 - 05/13/13 06:15 PM Re: And now, let me introduce you all too... [Re: pinkjimiphoton]
picker Offline
10k Club

I Wanna see some of them 'Birds, PJ!

#2493470 - 05/15/13 01:06 AM Re: And now, let me introduce you all too... [Re: picker]
20k Club

Originally Posted By: picker
I Wanna see some of them 'Birds, PJ!

SEND FORTH THE BIRDSERKERS!

#2493876 - 05/16/13 02:01 PM Re: And now, let me introduce you all too... [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
picker Offline
10k Club

Yeah...what he said. And release the krackin too!

Edited by picker (05/16/13 02:03 PM)

#2493901 - 05/16/13 04:19 PM Re: And now, let me introduce you all too... [Re: picker]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

#2494175 - 05/17/13 05:35 PM Re: And now, let me introduce you all too... [Re: Danzilla]
picker Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Danzilla
Bend those strings till it cries "Uncle!"
Nice build. So your all-in costs are... under $200?

Let's see, the body was free, the routing and assembly was $40, the neck was $45, the bridge was $15, the control plate with pots, knobs and switch was $20, and the tuners were $15. I had the neck plate and bolts, and both p/ups laying around. So, yeah, under $150 if you don't count the stuff I already had, under $200 if you do.

#2494234 - 05/18/13 02:43 AM Re: And now, let me introduce you all too... [Re: picker]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
I am envious!

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2494405 - 05/18/13 05:35 PM Re: And now, let me introduce you all too... [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
picker Offline
10k Club

If it weren't for the free body and the ultra cheap routing/assembly, it would have cost a lot more. But, I finally have my tele. I've been jonesin' for one for over a year now, and one thing or another has kept me from it. Uncle Mutt is the end of a long journey for me, and I'm very happy with where it took me. I may change a few things about it, maybe a Gretsch-y neck p/up and/or a Joe Barden bridge, but for now, it's pretty great!

#2494487 - 05/19/13 08:29 AM Re: And now, let me introduce you all too... [Re: picker]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Let's set one thing finally straight...

I've seen in other forums people using the phrase for one reason or another. But everyone seems to have spelled it one which-way or another(I myself have spelled it with a "C")but correctly.

According to the credits of the movie "Clash Of The Titans", it's spelled K-R-A-K-E-N. KRAKEN.

NOW, release it!
Whitefang

#2494517 - 05/19/13 09:56 AM Re: And now, let me introduce you all too... [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
wraub Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: west of brooklyn
Originally Posted By: Caevan O'Shite
Nice. Talk to wraub about semi-polymerized tung oil, IIRC.

Hi Caevan!

PTO is one option, although I would actually advise using Tru-Oil. IMO it's a more forgiving application, looks awesome when finished, is pretty easy to maintain, and a better overall product ime, with more predictable results.
I also think it would make the ash look awesome. smile

Nice looking axe, picker! enjoy...

wraub

#2494528 - 05/19/13 10:33 AM Re: And now, let me introduce you all too... [Re: wraub]
20k Club

Originally Posted By: wraub
Hi Caevan!

Hi, wraub. cool

Originally Posted By: wraub
I also think it would make the ash look awesome. smile

And we all like some oiled-up, awesome lookin' ash...

Originally Posted By: whitefang
Let's set one thing finally straight...

I've seen in other forums people using the phrase for one reason or another. But everyone seems to have spelled it one which-way or another(I myself have spelled it with a "C")but correctly.

According to the credits of the movie "Clash Of The Titans", it's spelled K-R-A-K-E-N. KRAKEN.

NOW, release it!
Whitefang

But we're releasing the krackin and sending fourth, ehr, forth the birdserkers...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose