Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2489448 - 04/30/13 12:11 PM Any noiseless lipstick pickups?
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
I have a Jerry Jones electric sitar, with a single lipstick pickup. It is the noisiest POS I've ever heard, almost useless in any context, even live, far worse than any Strat or Tele noise I've experienced. The body is routed to exactly fit a lipstick, with rear access mounting screws, & thus is too short for a standard single coil. My Google searches haven't turned anything up, but I'm wondering if anybody knows of a noiseless lipstick size pickup. I don't care at all about maintaining any authentic lipstick sound, I just need quiet. Any ideas?
Thanks,

GP Island
#2489498 - 04/30/13 03:32 PM Re: Any noiseless lipstick pickups? [Re: Scott Fraser]
CEB Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I don't know anything about the instrument but...

Is there room under an access plate for a dummy coil?

Only Danelectro drop-in replacements I know of are the Duncans but they are only noiseless when used in pairs.

Edited by CEB (04/30/13 03:34 PM)

#2489505 - 04/30/13 04:39 PM Re: Any noiseless lipstick pickups? [Re: CEB]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: CEB
I don't know anything about the instrument but...

Is there room under an access plate for a dummy coil?

No access panel, it drops in from the top, held in by some screws through the back.

Quote:
Only Danelectro drop-in replacements I know of are the Duncans but they are only noiseless when used in pairs.

Yeah, I've seen those 'humbucking' lipstick pairs. Won't work here obviously.
I could attack the body with my router & put a real humbucker in, but that's a lot of work I'm not real well set up for, in terms of templates. Or I could slap one of those skinny jazz pickups on top of the body. First I want to exhaust all the possibilities of finding an easy way out, i.e. a lipstick pickup that doesn't suck.

#2489517 - 04/30/13 05:41 PM Re: Any noiseless lipstick pickups? [Re: Scott Fraser]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
confused Is it possible that there's something not quite right here, some ground-loop or broken-connection short issue? Are the metal-covers connected to ground? These Danelectro-"lipstick-tube" style pickups usually aren't THAT bad... ? Usually, their metal covers- grounded- actually provide better shielding than many single-coil pickups get...

For what it's worth, if it's any help, here's a good tutorial on shielding cavities and wiring:

Stewart-MacDonald - Trade Secrets Archiv...itar shielding.

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2489525 - 04/30/13 06:30 PM Re: Any noiseless lipstick pickups? [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
How about using a Tele neck pickup? (has the looks and can get noiseless too)...

#2489532 - 04/30/13 06:38 PM Re: Any noiseless lipstick pickups? [Re: Larryz]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2489535 - 04/30/13 06:41 PM Re: Any noiseless lipstick pickups? [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Caevan O'Shite
confused Is it possible that there's something not quite right here, some ground-loop or broken-connection short issue?

I took the pickguard off & it looks solid in there. There's a tiny square of foil on the back of the pickguard under the pots, but no other shielding at all.

Quote:
Are the metal-covers connected to ground?

There is continuity between the metal cover & ground, though it's not a dead short, more like 12 - 14 Ohms. Touching a wire from the pickup cover to ground made no noise difference just now.

Quote:
These Danelectro-"lipstick-tube" style pickups usually aren't THAT bad... ? Usually, their metal covers- grounded- actually provide better shielding than many single-coil pickups get...

This is bad, like the recording I attempted today I can't use at all, even after running an extremely expensive, powerful noise reduction software on the track. And finding the proper positional polarity in the room.

Quote:
For what it's worth, if it's any help, here's a good tutorial on shielding cavities and wiring:

Stewart-MacDonald - Trade Secrets Archiv...itar shielding.

I did that process for The Residents' Gibson Melody Maker before we went out on tour many years ago. It was a Starz Guitarz kit. The improvement was very dramatic. That's certainly a good place to start.

#2489558 - 04/30/13 09:12 PM Re: Any noiseless lipstick pickups? [Re: Scott Fraser]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
Originally Posted By: Scott Fraser
I did that process for The Residents' Gibson Melody Maker before we went out on tour many years ago. It was a Starz Guitarz kit. The improvement was very dramatic. That's certainly a good place to start.

Have you ever done that with a 'bucker equipped guitar? If so, did you notice any difference?

I have a US made Hamer that has conductive paint in the control cavity. I don't know if it's in the p/up cavities, I've never had them out of the body. I can't say I've noticed it being much quieter than any other 'bucker equipped axe I have.

#2489580 - 04/30/13 10:36 PM Re: Any noiseless lipstick pickups? [Re: picker]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: picker

Have you ever done that with a 'bucker equipped guitar? If so, did you notice any difference?

No, that single coil Gibson was the only one I've done.

Quote:
I have a US made Hamer that has conductive paint in the control cavity. I don't know if it's in the p/up cavities, I've never had them out of the body. I can't say I've noticed it being much quieter than any other 'bucker equipped axe I have.

I don't think any of my humbucker equipped guitars has a shielded control cavity. I should try doing some of them. I have to say not all of my humbuckers are what I would consider quiet.

#2489606 - 05/01/13 05:41 AM Re: Any noiseless lipstick pickups? [Re: Scott Fraser]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway

Quote:

I don't think any of my humbucker equipped guitars has a shielded control cavity. I should try doing some of them. I have to say not all of my humbuckers are what I would consider quiet.

I've seen a few LP's & SG's with shielded control cavities, but they always seemed to have been done after they left the factory. Can't say if they were really any quieter, or if it was just overkill by some tone addict.

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/10-aphorisms

#2489629 - 05/01/13 07:12 AM Re: Any noiseless lipstick pickups? [Re: Winston Psmith]
CEB Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

If this was a Fender Esquire or Tele project my thought would be have a custom micro coil wound. Place the coil in the cavity where the controls are and connect it in series with the pickup. I couldn't do it. I would have to take it to my technical guru and wait 2-4 weeks. But I'm sure there are a lot of good guitar tech gurus in LA.

But if there are no access plates you would have to route something out and drill or route a channel and create a back plate or something.

But if it is as bad as you say maybe there is a grounding or shielding issue.

Edited by CEB (05/01/13 07:13 AM)

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose