Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2489211 - 04/29/13 07:00 PM EQ In front or in the effects loop?
H-A Forgiven Offline

Hi, all.
As most of you probably know by now, I'm looking for a new amp right now, and I'm really considering getting a Vox AC15 1x12 (once I have saved enough money). But, one thing that bothers me about it just a tad is that there is no effects loop. I'm probably going to get an EQ pedal to use with the amp, since it doesn't have 3 band on-board EQ, and I really like to be able to control my midrange.
Is an EQ pedal going to do the trick out front? What are your opinions, gents?
P.S. Thank you all for your advice. It's great to have a place where I can ask experienced guitar players questions like this.

GP Island
#2489215 - 04/29/13 07:22 PM Re: EQ In front or in the effects loop? [Re: H-A Forgiven]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
I think it'll work just fine for you in front.

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2489220 - 04/29/13 07:55 PM Re: EQ In front or in the effects loop? [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Larryz Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
+1 should work in front or in a loop. While you are at the store give a couple of pedals and amps a test run using your guitar...

#2489289 - 04/30/13 02:23 AM Re: EQ In front or in the effects loop? [Re: Larryz]
The Geoff Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Glasgow
..depends on the effects, I have pedals I put in front & I have a rack MultiFX that goes in the loop.

G.

#2489301 - 04/30/13 05:23 AM Re: EQ In front or in the effects loop? [Re: The Geoff]
CEB Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

In our band neither of us use the effects loop. I play a Boogie he plays a JCM 2000 half stack. I dont use an EQ pedal. My Boogie has a built in graphic. But the other guitarist uses a MXR 10 band for volume/ mid boost on solos and it works great.

#2489414 - 04/30/13 10:55 AM Re: EQ In front or in the effects loop? [Re: CEB]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
You can certainly put an EQ pedal in front of the amp, but I'd experiment with the Vol/Tone controls on your guitar first, and see if you can dial in the tone you want with just the guitar and amp, then think about tone-shaping. With equalization, less is more, and it is often better to cut than to boost.

If you find that you need very specific tone-shaping, or have an issue with a particular frequency range, you might want a Parametric EQ, where you can dial in the desired frequency bands, rather than the fixed bands of a Graphic EQ. Parametric EQ pedals are rare - Boss made one, briefly, the PQ-4, but it never caught on. FWIW, Boss/Roland execs in Japan half-jokingly attributed its failure in part to the ill-fated numeral '4'. Boss has never made another device with the numeral '4', ever again.

Here's a link where you can look at a dozen different EQ pedals. Good luck.
EQ pedals.

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/figures-of-speech

#2489451 - 04/30/13 12:26 PM Re: EQ In front or in the effects loop? [Re: Winston Psmith]
H-A Forgiven Offline

Okay! Great! And Winston Psmith, I'll probably get the amp and use if for a while, and then decide if I want to throw an EQ in front of it later.

#2489453 - 04/30/13 12:27 PM Re: EQ In front or in the effects loop? [Re: Winston Psmith]
CEB Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

A lot of hotels used to not have 4th floors in Japan. Four is treated sort of same way some westerners treat 13. Four is pronounced 'Shi'. Which is also a way to say death. I found the homophones really difficult to keep straight in Nihongo.

When you check into the hospital room # 4 would not give you a warm pleasant feeling. grin

Edited by CEB (04/30/13 03:22 PM)

#2489482 - 04/30/13 02:10 PM Re: EQ In front or in the effects loop? [Re: CEB]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
I stick all my pedals between the guitar and amp. Always have. Even when I was using a modeller I put that in front of the amp as well that way I could use the on board amp eq if needed. I would think an EQ will work as well that way too.

#2489497 - 04/30/13 03:20 PM Re: EQ In front or in the effects loop? [Re: desertbluesman]
CEB Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Same here. It is easy and makes for a quicker load out.

Thing with effects loops is somethings that will handle line level signals MAY sound better through the loop depending on if you use the amp's preamp to create overdrive/distorion, Like delays, modulation effects etc.... Somethings work much better before the preamp like distortion and overdrive and Wah pedals.

It is just easier to put everything in one place. I quit using rack stuff in the 90s.

This is not a big deal if you just play electric guitar. Guitar setup and tear down is easy it is all the keyboard stuff that takes the most time. So I streamline where I can.

Edited by CEB (04/30/13 03:21 PM)

#2489506 - 04/30/13 04:44 PM Re: EQ In front or in the effects loop? [Re: CEB]
Bartholomew Offline

Loc: Montreal
I never found an amp that sounded right to me or better using the effects loop and always use pedals in front - including SS and tube amps.

http://www.bandmix.ca/jamrocker/

#2489514 - 04/30/13 05:30 PM Re: EQ In front or in the effects loop? [Re: Winston Psmith]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith
You can certainly put an EQ pedal in front of the amp, but I'd experiment with the Vol/Tone controls on your guitar first, and see if you can dial in the tone you want with just the guitar and amp, then think about tone-shaping. With equalization, less is more, and it is often better to cut than to boost.

Good call.

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2489527 - 04/30/13 06:35 PM Re: EQ In front or in the effects loop? [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
I would say it depends on how you intend to set the EQ. The idea of an effects loop is at least partially to keep the incipient noise a pedal makes from being increased by the preamp section of your amplifier. EQs will produce more noise in the bands you push up, and that noise will be amplified. If you are going to cut freqs more than boost them, in front is probably okay. If you plan to boost any freqs very much, I'd say go with the loop. But then, I HATE extraneous noise. If it doesn't bother you, go for whatever.

#2489545 - 04/30/13 07:20 PM Re: EQ In front or in the effects loop? [Re: Bartholomew]
Larryz Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
Originally Posted By: Bartholomew
I never found an amp that sounded right to me or better using the effects loop and always use pedals in front - including SS and tube amps.

+1 not a fan of the loops. On my Hot Rod DeVille I can tell a big difference when I take everything out of the effects loop and just go in front with the pedals (or sans pedals direct in).

#2489585 - 04/30/13 11:54 PM Re: EQ In front or in the effects loop? [Re: Larryz]
harvey Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
I agree that pedals straight in is usually great.

My only quarm would be if the Vox's preamp is being overdriven - which is a beautiful thing smile - delay and reverbs are better in a loop...unless you are going for something nasty.

http://stjambience.wordpress.com/

#2489608 - 05/01/13 05:58 AM Re: EQ In front or in the effects loop? [Re: harvey]
H-A Forgiven Offline

Yes, I had been thinking about where I'm going to put a delay pedal in, because I want to get one.
I'm probably going to get a distortion pedal to put in front of the amp, because it doesn't get that much distortion on its own, so putting the delay after the distortion should help with some of that, but I don't know what I'm going to do if I want delay on some of the nice, dynamic, creamy overdrive that I can get when I push the gain on the Top Boost channel. I might just have to cross that bridge when I come to it.

... This is kind of a long shot, but have any of you ever heard of an effects loop being modded into an amp without messing up the amp's tone/ usability/ something? I know that the AC30 has an effects loop already, but I honestly don't have that much money to work with, plus I hear the thing is a beast to have to carry around, I really don't need all that power, and it's going to be all that much harder to keep it from blowing the windows out of my room. razz

#2489626 - 05/01/13 07:04 AM Re: EQ In front or in the effects loop? [Re: H-A Forgiven]
CEB Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: H-A
....... This is kind of a long shot, but have any of you ever heard of an effects loop being modded into an amp without messing up the amp's tone/ usability/ something? .....

Yes. If you were local I would know the guy to send you to.

Edited by CEB (05/01/13 07:05 AM)

#2489658 - 05/01/13 07:58 AM Re: EQ In front or in the effects loop? [Re: H-A Forgiven]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Originally Posted By: H-A
This is kind of a long shot, but have any of you ever heard of an effects loop being modded into an amp without messing up the amp's tone/ usability/ something? I know that the AC30 has an effects loop already, but I honestly don't have that much money to work with, plus I hear the thing is a beast to have to carry around, I really don't need all that power, and it's going to be all that much harder to keep it from blowing the windows out of my room. razz

I'd say if this is a real issue for you, you may want to reconsider your choice of amp. Modding the amp won't be a cheap fix, for one thing - the going bench rate for repairs in my area is $70/hr, with one hour minimum. A radical mod like that will also immediately void your warranty, and to be honest, the warranty is part of why you'd buy a new product, otherwise, used gear is usually a better value.

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/figures-of-speech

#2489808 - 05/01/13 02:43 PM Re: EQ In front or in the effects loop? [Re: Winston Psmith]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

I use an AC15 and AC30 almost exclusively these days, and I just run the effects in front of the amp... The AC30 has an effects loop and though I have a pedalsnake that would let me use the loop easily, I've never been moved to set it up and use it.

I guess the appeal is that in modulation and time-based effects you're delaying or modulating the signal post-preamp. The way I play, I set the amp pretty clean and use pedals to add dirt to various degrees, so the delays and modulation effects coming after those dirt boxes in my signal chain achieve the same thing.

I think I've seen things about mods to add an effects loop to AC15s.

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose