Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2488810 - 04/28/13 09:36 AM Ping Tuners
CEB Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I hated the tuners on my HSS Franken Tele thing. I took a gamble and put some Schaller copies made by Ping. I guess it is too late to ask now but are these things any good? They worked a lot better the stock Chinese vintage slotted style things I took off. They were in stock at the shop. I would have probably got Schaller if the shop had a set. I never heard of these.

Ping makes decent golf clubs.

GP Island
#2488837 - 04/28/13 11:20 AM Re: Ping Tuners [Re: CEB]
russclan Offline

I think they're decent tuners. Wouldn't be my first choice, but will get the job done. I know I used to own a guitar with these installed...wanna say it was an Ovation Celebrity...been so long I can't remember for sure.

#2488980 - 04/29/13 07:13 AM Re: Ping Tuners [Re: russclan]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Ping tuners are a standard low-cost upgrade, if you have really cheap tuners on your guitar. Never really bad, but not really great. I've always been a Grover fan, for tuners, but I use Schaller parts for other upgrades, usually bridges & tailpieces. Gotoh also makes good quality tuners, if you can't find another brand you know and trust.

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/figures-of-speech

#2488992 - 04/29/13 07:48 AM Re: Ping Tuners [Re: Winston Psmith]
CEB Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

They hold better tune than the stock tuners Fender put on that Chinese Modern Player Tele.... so far. Knock on wood. (Saturday and Sunday gigs)

After new tuners, new jack and rewiring jobs the guitar is serving it's purpose pretty well.

I just the binding job would get finished on my old Swede.

#2489028 - 04/29/13 09:55 AM Re: Ping Tuners [Re: CEB]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Originally Posted By: CEB
They hold better tune than the stock tuners Fender put on that Chinese Modern Player Tele.... so far. Knock on wood. (Saturday and Sunday gigs)

After new tuners, new jack and rewiring jobs the guitar is serving it's purpose pretty well.

Kind of my issue with the Modern Player series - they're essentially Squier guitars, in build quality. That's not a bad thing, if you know what you're getting. I have two Squier Strats I bought with every intention of upgrading the parts, but if they'd said Fender on the headstock, I might have expected more of them. Glad the Pings worked for that guitar.

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/figures-of-speech

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose