Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2488683 - 04/27/13 04:05 PM I made a wiring mistake and I like it
Michele C. Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Milano
I mounted a set of Custom Shop Custom '54 on my white (hem, pale yellow, was white in 1992) MIM Stratocaster. Great sound, very very much more Strato, now.
I have been careful to respect the original wiring, but failed. I wired the neck pickup in the centre position and the middle in the neck position.
Everything works in the main positions, but the intermediate are affected, I think.
I think in the middle right position I have neck+bridge, instead of middle+bridge.
I am lazy enough to consider reopening everythink not before I have used this set of strings at least one month.
But also, I think I like the intermediate setting on the right better than I did middle+neck. It should be similar to a tele in the middle position.
What do you think?

Update: yes, I verified with a tuning fork. My wiring is middle - middle+neck + neck - neck+bridge - bridge.

Edited by Michele C. (04/27/13 04:32 PM)

GP Island
#2488684 - 04/27/13 04:12 PM Re: I made a wiring mistake and I like it [Re: Michele C.]
The Geoff Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Glasgow
I believe SRV did this at one time. He sounds pretty good to me....

G.

#2488709 - 04/27/13 07:51 PM Re: I made a wiring mistake and I like it [Re: The Geoff]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
If you like it, keep it. Try it out with different amp and pedal settings, etc. Having a neck and bridge combo would be interesting to play around with for awhile. If I had to give up one setting it would be the middle only...and use one tone control on the neck and the other tone control on the bridge. I like the middle and bridge combo the best. Have fun!

#2489788 - 05/01/13 01:47 PM Re: I made a wiring mistake and I like it [Re: Larryz]
Terrell Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Austin, TX
Go with it! Mine is:

Neck - Neck/Middle (Dually) - Middle - Bridge - Middle/Bridge(Dually)

For me, I like to have the ends be the primary sounds I use

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose