Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2488531 - 04/27/13 05:32 AM OT:the things we do for love, Pt. II. Would you do this!?!
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Need some advice, and I trust folks in here to hear me out, and speak up. Some of you know that I'm a dog guy. Shelter mutts, give-ups, foundlings and strays, I've had 'em all, and loved them all. My buddy Nemo is a terrier mutt I found, abandoned in a park, January 2010. When I found him, we had two older shelter girls, a Husky mix and a Lab mix, who have since passed on. I've been looking for another dog, for a while, like more than a year.

Moving on, last week, Nemo & I met a very cool little chihuahua mix at an adoption event - I'm a big dog guy, at heart, but this little fellow had spirit, and Nemo liked him, so I applied to adopt the little one. I hear back from the rescue group, and they'd love to give us the little guy, all's good. I've been working most of the week, so there's been a bit of back-and-forth with the rescue group, about when to pick up the dog. Finally, when I tell them Saturday (today) the woman says, "Great, you just need to bring a leash & collar, and the $200 adoption fee." Blammo! No one had mentioned a $200 adoption fee, up until that moment. Yes, it's listed on their website, but nothing I saw at the adoption event mentioned it, nor did any of the volunteers I spoke with, while I was filling out the application.

I'm not saying this is a scam. If you saw the facility this group has, and the work they're doing - driving hundreds of miles every week to high-kill shelters in the Southern states, and bringing back truckloads of good dogs and cats that would die needlessly - I know what the money is going to. It's just a big chunk of change right now, and if someone had told me last week, "It's going to be $200, to pick up the dog," I might have thought twice, even three times, but at this point, I feel like I've made a commitment to this little guy, and if I hadn't applied for him, he might already be in a good home. So, today, I'm heading out to sell off some gear that's been gathering dust, and then I'm going to pick up my new, used dog.

Although I've pretty well decided what I'm going to do, I put it to my friends here in the Forum - would you sell a guitar to rescue a dog?

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/figures-of-speech

GP Island
#2488537 - 04/27/13 06:08 AM Re: OT:the things we do for love, Pt. II. Would you do this!?! [Re: Winston Psmith]
Fred_C Offline
Gold Member

Loc: PA
Hey Winston,

I am also a dog lover. I live alone in an apartment and I am not permitted to own a dog, but all the neighborhood dogs are my friends.

I would make this observation: It certainly could be argued that an instrument has a soul and a personality, but an animal in need of a home has life. It is a living, breathing ball of unconditional love that will bring you more joy than the instrument you are considering selling. IMO, give that little dog a home. You'll know you've made the right decision the first time he/she licks your hand or face. Give the pup a hug for me.

#2488542 - 04/27/13 06:25 AM Re: OT:the things we do for love, Pt. II. Would you do this!?! [Re: Fred_C]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Thank you, brother, that was my thought. I've never seen a guitar get depressed because it was left sitting in a music store. This little guy came climbing up into my lap, when I met him - the only one who did that, of all the dogs up for adoption that day. Kind of hard to say "No", when they ask to come with you.

#2488556 - 04/27/13 07:32 AM Re: OT:the things we do for love, Pt. II. Would you do this!?! [Re: Winston Psmith]
Bartholomew Offline

Loc: Montreal
I wouldn't sell the guitar but would get the $$$ from a friend or a credit card or whatever. Then I would find a few extra work hours to pay it back.

It's only 20 hours @ $10 - selling the guitar will also take time and effort plus possibly meeting with a few idiots.

On the other hand I have an Epi SG400 that weighs nothing, cost $200 used with no fret-wear and is pretty much a piece of junk if not modded so that would be the one to go.

http://www.bandmix.ca/jamrocker/

#2488562 - 04/27/13 08:04 AM Re: OT:the things we do for love, Pt. II. Would you do this!?! [Re: Bartholomew]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Bartholomew, I hear you, but the guitar in question has never grown on me - not a beater, by any means, but not one I'd regret parting with. Getting rid of it is no problem. Putting the adoption fee on a CC is just putting off the expense, and I hate to borrow, for the same reason - borrowing from Peter to pay Paul, as the old saying has it. That's fine, unless Peter and Paul need to be paid back at the same time.

This also gets me to dig through some stuff that's sat, all but untouched, for a while now, and IMHO, there's a karmic cost to hanging onto to things that you don't use. If it's sitting in a closet, or in a drawer, it's no use to me, or anyone else. BTW, I have an Epi SG, which I really like, but I've already invested in new pups for it.

it's time for me to be out the door. Wish us luck, everyone!

Edited by Winston Psmith (04/27/13 08:05 AM)
Edit Reason: time

#2488571 - 04/27/13 08:21 AM Re: OT:the things we do for love, Pt. II. Would you do this!?! [Re: Winston Psmith]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
I have 3 guitars I would sell right now, dog or no dog. If I went to an adoption show and that little $200 dollar guy sat on my lap, I would be taking him home with me...guitar or no guitar. You're a good man Winston! thu

#2488577 - 04/27/13 08:48 AM Re: OT:the things we do for love, Pt. II. Would you do this!?! [Re: Winston Psmith]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
If it was one of my main guitars my decision would be to avoid that decision. Short of that, for just a guitar I owned, no question-what better proof that music and life are connected.
One of my friends here is a singer in a hard rock cover band-she is doing some great work rescuing animals which were abandoned after the earthquake. We did a charity auction last September, really felt good.
Website is here:

http://japancatnet.com/ja/

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2488580 - 04/27/13 08:56 AM Re: OT:the things we do for love, Pt. II. Would you do this!?! [Re: skipclone 1]
duff beer Offline

Loc: Winnipeg
I do like dogs...I had them for years, but when the last one passed I didn't replace it. I go out too much and it wouldn't be fair for a pet to be left alone so much.

I do think that if you have to sell a guitar to afford a $200 adoption fee, then maybe a second dog is not a wise choice.

#2488600 - 04/27/13 09:35 AM Re: OT:the things we do for love, Pt. II. Would you do this!?! [Re: duff beer]
Dannyalcatraz Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
William S. Burroughs once said, "Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying."*

You're talking $200 for one. That's a bargain.

* as part of his "Words of Advice for Young People", in reference to The Devil's Bargain

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2488611 - 04/27/13 10:24 AM Re: OT:the things we do for love, Pt. II. Would you do this!?! [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
If the guitar is one you said is no problem getting rid of, then why bring up the question?

Oh, yeah. Would any one ELSE here sell an instrument to rescue an animal.

Let's see...keep the inanimate, material object, or give the poor, living entity a home?

My vote goes for the dog.
Whitefang

#2488654 - 04/27/13 12:28 PM Re: OT:the things we do for love, Pt. II. Would you do this!?! [Re: whitefang]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Winston, although I am not a pet fan for myself, I do understand why others would like a pet. Two hundred bucks is not that much money these days, in fact when I was growing up in the 40's & 50's, 20 bucks would get you almost the same thing that 200 bucks will get you now. So from your original post above I assume you are going for it, so go for it.........

#2488663 - 04/27/13 01:11 PM Re: OT:the things we do for love, Pt. II. Would you do this!?! [Re: desertbluesman]
Guitarzan Offline
10k Club

money is only money, a pet is a friend and companion which is worth more than money.
ultimately it is your decision. i have three guitars and enjoy playing them all but they are objects.
my cat however is ultimately my little buddy and he meets me at the door every day like i am something special.

rock it, i will

#2488676 - 04/27/13 03:30 PM Re: OT:the things we do for love, Pt. II. Would you do this!?! [Re: Guitarzan]
harvey Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Selling gear to pay electricity = sucks

Selling gear to add to your family = cool

Selling gear stuck in the closet = not so hard

My 2c smile

http://stjambience.wordpress.com/

#2488685 - 04/27/13 04:18 PM Re: OT:the things we do for love, Pt. II. Would you do this!?! [Re: harvey]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Thanks, everyone! The little guy is here, home, safe, happily rolling around with my other dog, who's been waiting for a friend since our beautiful Lab/Shepherd girl died, two years ago.

@Duff Beer - I respect what you say, it was more a matter of timing, than complete lack of funds. If someone had told me last week about the fee, I just would have moved some money around. The guitar in question was one I was looking to move, anyhow, so I feel good about the whole deal. The guitar will get a new home, too, and I even have some money in my pocket, after all is said and done.

#2488686 - 04/27/13 04:31 PM Re: OT:the things we do for love, Pt. II. Would you do this!?! [Re: Winston Psmith]
harvey Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Cool...a happy ending smile

Which guitar?

http://stjambience.wordpress.com/

#2488714 - 04/27/13 08:31 PM Re: OT:the things we do for love, Pt. II. Would you do this!?! [Re: harvey]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
I might if I had more guitars. And I definitely would have if it could have saved my dearly missed, much loved good friend, Footer...

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2488828 - 04/28/13 10:48 AM Re: OT:the things we do for love, Pt. II. Would you do this!?! [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Pets are something else, aren't they? I've had close attachments to many over the years, and was always heartbroken when they departed, either by death or just taking off. You can get along just fine without them, but once you have one and get attached, you can't imagine NOT having them around. I have a little Shi-Tzu now that seems to have me wrapped around her due-claw(sic) and I don't mind it one bit. I had an older one that got so sick she had to be put down, and that's not as easy as some people make it sound.

My daughter always had a way with animals, and is an avid animal lover. I always used to kid her and call her "Ellie-May" with her amazing way with "critters". She's had more than her share of losing well loved pets, and is currently giving herself a break after having to put the last one down. I hope you have many years with your current newcomer. Pet him once for me.
Whitefang

#2489164 - 04/29/13 04:12 PM Re: OT:the things we do for love, Pt. II. Would you do this!?! [Re: whitefang]
02R96 Offline
Gold Member

Winston, I applaud your decision to adopt a rescue dog. There are so many wonderful friends in need of a forever home and you've provided yours. The $200 is a small amount of money compared to the happiness this little creature will bring you.

My house has four little dogs living here, three which are rescues; one from a puppy mill and the other two sisters from a hoarding situation.

Other than pestering us for attention, they've been wonderful, funny creatures who will never have to worry about a meal or where to sleep again.

I raise a glass and toast you and your new friend! thu

"When you play a stadium you almost have to do a Mick Jagger where you wave a sash around and prance about. I can’t quite do that..."

David Crosby talking about CSNY's 1974 Doom tour.

#2489180 - 04/29/13 04:51 PM Re: OT:the things we do for love, Pt. II. Would you do this!?! [Re: 02R96]
Fred_C Offline
Gold Member

Hey 02,

You can't imagine how jealous/envious I am of you right now. I would love to have just one dog.

#2489227 - 04/29/13 08:19 PM Re: OT:the things we do for love, Pt. II. Would you do this!?! [Re: Fred_C]
Bluesape Moderator Offline
10k Club

Loc: Ottawa
Guitars are eternal, at least in human longevity terms. Dogs are not. It tore me up to lose a pet as a kid, but ya gotta accept that they aren't here for a long time. It's great that you take them in and shelter them. I get too attached, just like I do with my gear. Would I sell one? Yeah, but I'd seek to replace it asap with one I wanted more....

#2489399 - 04/30/13 10:28 AM Re: OT:the things we do for love, Pt. II. Would you do this!?! [Re: Bluesape]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

I want to thank everyone who replied, and also to say how grateful I am to find myself among such good-hearted folks. Here's the update on Rowlf. He's a healthy and happy eight-month-old chihuahua/terrier mix (my best guess), and he's getting along well with my four-year-old foundling mutt, Nemo. While we were out playing in the yard, yesterday, I saw Nemo search out his current favorite tennis ball, and offer it to Rowlf. That, my brothers, is a truly generous spirit. My wife, who gives me the hairy eyeball every time I come home with a new dog, is already in love with Rowlf.

For my $200 adoption fee, Rowlf got all his vaccinations, neutering, some dental work (2 puppy teeth that were hanging on), a microchip implant (in case he gets lost) with the first year paid up, a rabies tag, a name tag with my phone # on the back, a month's worth of pet health insurance, a certificate for a free vet check-up, four pages of detailed medical history to bring to my vet, and a big bag of good quality dog food. The cost of all those medical procedures and other services would have run me far more than $200. On the way home, we stopped at our local independent pet supply store, and got an unexpected discount on a new leash, collar and dog toy, because I'd adopted him from the shelter.

For my part, I got rid of a guitar I'd never really fallen in love with, and some back-up pedals, and came home with some extra cash, a much-needed pedalboard (Pedaltrain #6), and a rescued dog, all in one day, so I don't really feel like I gave up anything. Ask the two mutts lying by my feet what they think, when they wake up.

I do get attached to my gear, but only to the degree that it serves me. If I'm not using something, it probably has more value as something else, and someone else might appreciate it in a way that I don't, so it just seems like good sense, and good karma, to move stuff along when it's time. Besides, even my favorite guitar has never come running to greet me, or climbed up into my lap to lick my face and thank me for bringing it home, which my dogs do, every day. Life is about what we really value, and the day I come to value stuff over life, well, I'd hardly be fit company for a dog, in that case.

#2489417 - 04/30/13 11:00 AM Re: OT:the things we do for love, Pt. II. Would you do this!?! [Re: Winston Psmith]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
smile wave cool

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2489439 - 04/30/13 11:53 AM Re: OT:the things we do for love, Pt. II. Would you do this!?! [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Dannyalcatraz Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Quote:
chihuahua/terrier

That makes him aaaaa...Chirrier? A Terrhuahua?

And as for what you got for your guitar, "I'd call that a bargain..."

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (04/30/13 11:53 AM)

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2489442 - 04/30/13 11:57 AM Re: OT:the things we do for love, Pt. II. Would you do this!?! [Re: Winston Psmith]
Fred_C Offline
Gold Member

Winston,

It sounds to me like an excellent value!!! As I wrote earlier, give the little feller a hug for me.

#2489661 - 05/01/13 08:01 AM Re: OT:the things we do for love, Pt. II. Would you do this!?! [Re: Fred_C]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

All that for a $200 fee?

Sounds like a bargain. Probably would have cost you more if you did all that seperately. AND you got the DOG to boot!
Whitefang

#2491288 - 05/07/13 11:29 AM Re: OT:the things we do for love, Pt. II. Would you do this!?! [Re: whitefang]
Eric Iverson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Jackson Heights, NY
I like OTHER people's dogs/cats/turtles LOL. So I guess I wouldn't be selling any guitars any time soon......

Not that I believe in being MEAN to them, dogs I mean, but guitars should be well-treated too, come to think of it.

#2491295 - 05/07/13 11:54 AM Re: OT:the things we do for love, Pt. II. Would you do this!?! [Re: Eric Iverson]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Eric Iverson
...... but guitars should be well-treated too, come to think of it.

Eric, I agree - and you could say the guitar that I got rid of wasn't getting the attention it deserved, here in my house, so I hope it's happy in its new home, too.

#2493100 - 05/14/13 05:36 AM Re: OT:the things we do for love, Pt. II. Would you do this!?! [Re: Winston Psmith]
Eric Iverson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Jackson Heights, NY
I hope my first mandolin, Bentley, is happy in its new home, too! Not because he was neglected by me....
The owner is a former bandleader who taught me a lot... he just wants to play "G, C and D" on it; too bad, he's very talented! But I've got my metal resonator mando, Johnson, and $300 down on this gorgeous electric mando.

But back to pets; you don't have to WALK a musical instrument, but they do like fresh air once in a while! Looking forward to spring weather finally coming to NYC (still quite chilly) so I can bring them to Central Park and meet fellow (and female) musicians.

#2493903 - 05/16/13 04:28 PM Re: OT:the things we do for love, Pt. II. Would you do this!?! [Re: Eric Iverson]
Nu2Keys Offline

Loc: USA
Winston, you're a good man, and this is a great story. The love you will get from your new rescued friend will be your reward!

#2493973 - 05/17/13 05:04 AM Re: OT:the things we do for love, Pt. II. Would you do this!?! [Re: Nu2Keys]
Minte Offline

Loc: Madison
No i wouldn't sell a guitar but if you take paypal I would make a charitable contribution to the cause.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose