Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2488405 - 04/26/13 02:51 PM Do you mainly stick to one pick up?
Telefonic Offline

I'm a big fan of the neck pick up, but I do enjoy the variation this guitar provides.

GP Island
#2488415 - 04/26/13 03:19 PM Re: Do you mainly stick to one pick up? [Re: Telefonic]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
I use every pickup on any of my guitars, even though some middle pups only get used in combo with one or the other end pups on my 3 pup guitars.

#2488419 - 04/26/13 03:26 PM Re: Do you mainly stick to one pick up? [Re: Telefonic]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
A lot of old jazz guys only run a neck pickup, volume and tone control. I like having at least two pickups and find I play mostly in the middle switching position using both pickups, but I do use the neck pickup a little more these days...

#2488436 - 04/26/13 04:35 PM Re: Do you mainly stick to one pick up? [Re: Larryz]
hurricane hugo Offline
Platinum Member

I use everything that's there.

#2488451 - 04/26/13 05:36 PM Re: Do you mainly stick to one pick up? [Re: hurricane hugo]
Dannyalcatraz Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
If I gots it, I uses it! That applies to pickups, whammy bars, and effects.

(Not all at the same time, though.)

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (04/26/13 10:27 PM)

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2488461 - 04/26/13 07:52 PM Re: Do you mainly stick to one pick up? [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
H-A Forgiven Offline

With my Les Paul, I tend to use the bridge pickup a little more, because it's a pretty dark-toned guitar. But I use both of the pups together quite often too.

#2488462 - 04/26/13 07:55 PM Re: Do you mainly stick to one pick up? [Re: Larryz]
Fred_C Offline
Gold Member

Loc: PA
Originally Posted By: Larryz
A lot of old jazz guys only run a neck pickup, volume and tone control. I like having at least two pickups and find I play mostly in the middle switching position using both pickups, but I do use the neck pickup a little more these days...

As an "old jazz guy" (in every sense of the term), I tend to only use the neck pickup. That's where the big, fat, liquid tone lives. Chord Melody solos require big tone and as I've mentioned in the past, I am hopelessly addicted to Chord Melody. This is also true when I play Blues. I like the sound of the neck position. Once and a while, I'll switch both pickups on for a specific tune, but not very often.

I'm old fashioned
I love the moonlight
I love the old fashioned things

-I'm Old Fashioned

#2488473 - 04/26/13 08:49 PM Re: Do you mainly stick to one pick up? [Re: Fred_C]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I aspire (in my dreams at least) to be more like the old jazz guys as I truly appreciate what they have done and what they can still do. I'm just a young pup at 63 and wish I had started studying their concepts much earlier in life...I've always been accused of jazzing up country and old rock and roll so I know it's in my DNA somewhere!

#2488491 - 04/26/13 10:22 PM Re: Do you mainly stick to one pick up? [Re: Larryz]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

I tend use the middle position on most 2 pu guitars, but switch around to get the tones I want from there... I like having coil-splitting options on humbuckers.

On strats I use whichever positions (and my main strat has the 7 way switching) give me what I want to hear at that moment... then I have a Villex mid-boost on the thing, too.

With my Jazzmaster I use the rhythm circuit, even... the 2 pickup position again being what I use most...

then the guitars go into THD Quintet tone shaper pedal, and too many dirt boxes mostly set for various shades of mild overdrive... then a Voodoo Labs Giggity or Siegmund Twin Tube to bring out certain things when I want.

I guess I've become a fussy tone monger... though I generally have as much of a blast plugging straight into a little practice amp.

#2488505 - 04/27/13 01:23 AM Re: Do you mainly stick to one pick up? [Re: p90jr]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
No.

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2488511 - 04/27/13 03:06 AM Re: Do you mainly stick to one pick up? [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
The Geoff Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Glasgow
Neither do I.

#2488512 - 04/27/13 03:29 AM Re: Do you mainly stick to one pick up? [Re: The Geoff]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
I default to middle position but experiment pretty frequently.
p90jr how`s that Siegmund? been curious about those for some time.

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2488521 - 04/27/13 04:54 AM Re: Do you mainly stick to one pick up? [Re: skipclone 1]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Most of my guitars use HB's, and my main sound is the neck pup, volume dialed back to 9, tone between 7 & 8. On my couple of Strat guitars, I combine the neck & middle pups, again dial the volume knob back to 9, and adjust the tone balance between the two pups. I almost never use the bridge pup on a Strat.

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/figures-of-speech

#2488535 - 04/27/13 05:57 AM Re: Do you mainly stick to one pick up? [Re: Larryz]
Fred_C Offline
Gold Member

I aspire (in my dreams at least) to be more like the old jazz guys as I truly appreciate what they have done and what they can still do.

Brother Larry,

Dreaming ain't gonna' cut it. You gotta' try! Yeah, it'll take some work and lots of practice, but YOU CAN DO IT!! If I learned to play jazz standards in Chord Melody style, after having played nothing but Blues and Travis style for over 35 years, so can you. "No guts, no glory". "No balls, no combat ribbons"!

I admit that studying with two jazz teachers helped. But, you don't have to go that route. There are several very accessible charts in each of the Robert B. Yelin Books. I know that you could work through them. You'll never know until you try. GOOD LUCK, my friend.

#2488554 - 04/27/13 07:21 AM Re: Do you mainly stick to one pick up? [Re: Fred_C]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
By way of my "touch", I've often had people assume I was using the neck-pickup when I was using the bridge-pickup, and vice-verse...

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2488588 - 04/27/13 09:04 AM Re: Do you mainly stick to one pick up? [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Thanks for the inspiration Drill Sergeant Fred, I know what it means to have a few combat ribbons...

I've have taught myself the circle of fifths in major and minor using the II V I this last year and now I've learned a few jazz chords (grips) so I can expand it using a couple of 8 chord turnarounds with the 6th and 5th string roots and apply them to the circle. I'm getting into substitutions and more inside grips too. I'm using that neck pickup more these days and have taught myself a few old songs like Route 66, San Francisco, Since I Fell For You, You Don't Know Me, and jazzed up a few of my old standbys. It's mostly just singing and backing myself up with chords and then throw in a few little chord leads (which I'm getting into after hearing about what you've been up to all of this time) It just takes time...

I do play about 40 classic rock, country, country rock and what I call coffee shop tunes, to include some jazzy stuff like Scotch and Soda, Desert Skies, etc. I practice all of the above and try to work in some theory, scales and new chord study when I can. I like being versatile and thus I'm destined to be a jack of all trades, and master at none...and remain hopelessly in awe of the old jazz masters (to include the younger guys too).

#2488616 - 04/27/13 10:35 AM Re: Do you mainly stick to one pick up? [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
I only have acoustics, so I tend to stick to one soundhole.
Whitefang

#2488624 - 04/27/13 10:47 AM Re: Do you mainly stick to one pick up? [Re: skipclone 1]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: skipclone 1

It's nice... and kind of subtle... I consider it a "tone enhancer" more than something that drastically changes your tone, though in front of amps that are lame it does bring them to life, nicely. It isn't a high gain device, even on the drive setting, so a lot of people don't appreciate it... but I dig it, especially with a strat. Think "bluesy sizzle," though if you have a high gain amp then it does help push it even further over the top.

It sounds nice direct into consoles or power amps, too... and accepts other pedals in front of it well. The Crowther Hotcake and Lovepedal Eternity Burst push it, nicely.

#2488653 - 04/27/13 12:16 PM Re: Do you mainly stick to one pick up? [Re: Larryz]
Fred_C Offline
Gold Member

Thanks for the inspiration Drill Sergeant Fred, I know what it means to have a few combat ribbons...

I've have taught myself the circle of fifths in major and minor using the II V I this last year and now I've learned a few jazz chords (grips) so I can expand it using a couple of 8 chord turnarounds with the 6th and 5th string roots and apply them to the circle. I'm getting into substitutions and more inside grips too. I'm using that neck pickup more these days and have taught myself a few old songs like Route 66, San Francisco, Since I Fell For You, You Don't Know Me, and jazzed up a few of my old standbys. It's mostly just singing and backing myself up with chords and then throw in a few little chord leads (which I'm getting into after hearing about what you've been up to all of this time) It just takes time...

I do play about 40 classic rock, country, country rock and what I call coffee shop tunes, to include some jazzy stuff like Scotch and Soda, Desert Skies, etc. I practice all of the above and try to work in some theory, scales and new chord study when I can. I like being versatile and thus I'm destined to be a jack of all trades, and master at none...and remain hopelessly in awe of the old jazz masters (to include the younger guys too).

Larry,

Roger that. Sounds to me like you've got the goods. Go for it! You should definitely play what you like. I distinctly recall my last lesson with my teacher, the great Philadelphia Jerry Ricks in 1969. I was packing up after the lesson and I asked Jerry, "What should I play"? Jerry responded, "Play what makes you smile."

#2488656 - 04/27/13 12:31 PM Re: Do you mainly stick to one pick up? [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Dannyalcatraz
If I gots it, I uses it! That applies to pickups, whammy bars, and effects.

although I lock down any whammy on any guitar I own (Probably just because I am too lazy to do the extra tuning they always seem to need vs a fixed bridge).

#2488657 - 04/27/13 12:38 PM Re: Do you mainly stick to one pick up? [Re: Larryz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I aspire (in my dreams at least) to be more like the old jazz guys as I truly appreciate what they have done and what they can still do. I'm just a young pup at 63 and wish I had started studying their concepts much earlier in life...I've always been accused of jazzing up country and old rock and roll so I know it's in my DNA somewhere!

Although I admire those guys, think practice 4 hours a day and no Sundays off. I took lessons from 2 jazz players, Emily Remler, and Bobby Aslanian (Bobby taught Al DeMeola among other great local players). And to keep up with my every other week lessons, I had to put in 4 hours daily just to learn what they were teaching me. Of course that may be because I am not naturally talented (I am relentless however) So I don't call my playing "art", I call it craftsmanship. Tenacity is my only redeeming quality but to learn what those two teachers laid out before me it took 4 hours daily of relentless practice (at least during the initial learning stages). Real jazz playing lessons from good teachers for me were absolutely necessary. (although I don't play jazz all that much, only a few things here and there.)

#2488658 - 04/27/13 12:42 PM Re: Do you mainly stick to one pick up? [Re: desertbluesman]
Guitarzan Offline
10k Club

probably the only pickup i don't use all the time is the middle on a strat, unless it is in combo with the neck or bridge.
if i want nad punchin crunch it is a bridge bucker , and if i want super duper fat solo tone it is the neck.

so yeah i use the switch as well as the volume.

you also get some cool stuff with your hands. i rarely use effects because there are ways to get tonal variations with attack and hands alone.

i am really getting into Freak Kitchen lately and Mattias Eklund is a master of tonal variation with his touch.

rock it, i will

#2488712 - 04/27/13 08:23 PM Re: Do you mainly stick to one pick up? [Re: Guitarzan]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

@ Fred and DBM, great advice and insight...very much appreciated! I have only take lessons for about 3 or 4 months back in '79. From a great jazz standard studio musician down in the bay area (San Jose, CA) Larry Serrano. The cost was $5 bucks an hour and after the 1st lesson he scheduled me as his last student of the day. I would bring a six pack of beer and after the 1 hour lesson, we would sit and play for hours. I already knew how to chop my 6th (13th), 7th and 9th minor/major chords and he knew how to make a guitar sing, playing over anything I could lay down and he had me add in a few diminished chords...I was invited to be in his band and can only kick myself in the ass for not staying put. Instead, I had to follow my dream of moving up to the mountains. I'd still be playing with him today if I could have stayed put.

He couldn't teach me what he was playing from the heart, but he did teach me one word "improvisation", and he set me loose to learn what I could do from the heart some day... cool

#2488748 - 04/28/13 05:31 AM Re: Do you mainly stick to one pick up? [Re: p90jr]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
Originally Posted By: p90jr

It's nice... and kind of subtle... I consider it a "tone enhancer" more than something that drastically changes your tone, though in front of amps that are lame it does bring them to life, nicely. It isn't a high gain device, even on the drive setting, so a lot of people don't appreciate it... but I dig it, especially with a strat. Think "bluesy sizzle," though if you have a high gain amp then it does help push it even further over the top.

It sounds nice direct into consoles or power amps, too... and accepts other pedals in front of it well. The Crowther Hotcake and Lovepedal Eternity Burst push it, nicely.

Kool, that`s the impression I had. I`ve wondered-well I suppose those microtubes are built to last but if anything happens to them, what do ya do?

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2488763 - 04/28/13 06:43 AM Re: Do you mainly stick to one pick up? [Re: Larryz]
Fred_C Offline
Gold Member

now I've learned a few jazz chords (grips) so I can expand it using a couple of 8 chord turnarounds with the 6th and 5th string roots and apply them to the circle. I'm getting into substitutions and more inside grips too.

Brother Larry,

Get a copy of Hal Leonard's Jazz Guitar . It's got every chord shape you'll ever need. A wonderful resource. It'll build your chord vocabulary beyond your expectations. Once again, Good Luck, my friend.

#2488767 - 04/28/13 06:49 AM Re: Do you mainly stick to one pick up? [Re: desertbluesman]
Fred_C Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: desertbluesman

Although I admire those guys, think practice 4 hours a day and no Sundays off. I took lessons from 2 jazz players, Emily Remler, and Bobby Aslanian (Bobby taught Al DeMeola among other great local players). And to keep up with my every other week lessons, I had to put in 4 hours daily just to learn what they were teaching me. Of course that may be because I am not naturally talented (I am relentless however) So I don't call my playing "art", I call it craftsmanship. Tenacity is my only redeeming quality but to learn what those two teachers laid out before me it took 4 hours daily of relentless practice (at least during the initial learning stages). Real jazz playing lessons from good teachers for me were absolutely necessary. (although I don't play jazz all that much, only a few things here and there.)

Hey DBM,

You said it brother! I agree 100% (to the nth+1 power). I know I've posted this quotation in the past, but within the context of your post, I think it bears repeating.

"Practice and Perseverance account for 90% of what most people call "Talent".

- Sal Salvador*

* Guitarist for the Stan Kenton orchestra in the '50's.

#2488783 - 04/28/13 08:11 AM Re: Do you mainly stick to one pick up? [Re: Fred_C]
hurricane hugo Offline
Platinum Member

this looks like pickup-switching fun: eBay

grin

#2488797 - 04/28/13 09:04 AM Re: Do you mainly stick to one pick up? [Re: hurricane hugo]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: hurricane hugo
this looks like pickup-switching fun: eBay

grin

I don't think the guy that buys this baby sticks to any one pick up...I would like to see at least one tone control.

#2488806 - 04/28/13 09:21 AM Re: Do you mainly stick to one pick up? [Re: skipclone 1]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: p90jr

Kool, that`s the impression I had. I`ve wondered-well I suppose those microtubes are built to last but if anything happens to them, what do ya do?

I'm lucky in that my tech guys said they'd swap them out and re-solder them in if need be... but I think with the Siegmund and the Seymour Duncan units they say you just have to send them back to the shops and they change them out. A lot of people don't want to deal with that possibility and dislike the pedals for that reason.

#2488904 - 04/28/13 06:52 PM Re: Do you mainly stick to one pick up? [Re: Larryz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The cost was $5 bucks an hour and after the 1st lesson he scheduled me as his last student of the day.
That is the same thing Bob Aslanian did for me after my 1st lesson with him. Amazing coincidence. Only in my story (as I recall) Bob charged me 20 bucks an hour, the price did not bother me, because I was making a ton of money in the masonry biz at the time, this was back in the late 1960's or early 70's too. I learned so much from him in the after jams, because he could recollect every note he played in any passage, and he could then teach me those things. "Maybe I'm Amazed" at the recollection......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose