Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2488298 - 04/26/13 09:19 AM A bands live mixing instructions.
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

This was handed to a friend of mine who was running sound in a club last night.

GP Island
#2488300 - 04/26/13 09:21 AM Re: A bands live mixing instructions. [Re: p90jr]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

the band was a Japanese Psychedelic band, who are pretty awesome.

#2488312 - 04/26/13 09:45 AM Re: A bands live mixing instructions. [Re: p90jr]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
This is why the other (than guitarist) musicians are unhappy with guitar players in many cases. Guitar wankers at 50% louder volume than everyone else.

;~)

#2488318 - 04/26/13 09:55 AM Re: A bands live mixing instructions. [Re: p90jr]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
Looks like each of them know what they need to hear on the monitors vs what the audience is going to hear. If they are awesome, then it must work for them. I like to hear what the audience hears.

I went to a Merle Haggard concert about 3 weeks ago and sat right behind the mixing console. Everything sounded great except Merle's mic was a little too low IMHO. The two guys that went with me were more into country music than I was and they felt the same way...

#2488321 - 04/26/13 10:12 AM Re: A bands live mixing instructions. [Re: Larryz]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

They're a brutally loud Psychedelic freak out band like Hawkwind, Gong, Soft Machine, etc. The audience doesn't hear anything at the loudest bits as much as feel it.

Not for everybody... but I like that stuff when I'm in the mood.

#2488346 - 04/26/13 11:46 AM Re: A bands live mixing instructions. [Re: p90jr]
Caevan O'Shite Online   content
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Priorities, man! Nice to see someone got 'em straight!

rawk grin thu

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2488432 - 04/26/13 04:06 PM Re: A bands live mixing instructions. [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
harvey Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Ha...I love this!!!

http://stjambience.wordpress.com/

#2488522 - 04/27/13 04:57 AM Re: A bands live mixing instructions. [Re: harvey]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
I love how they call it the "Marshall Guitar"!! Doesn't matter what guitar, if it's plugged into the Marshall, that's the one everyone needs to hear. Beautiful!! Bring on the Squiers and Vantage guitars!!!!

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/figures-of-speech

#2488617 - 04/27/13 10:37 AM Re: A bands live mixing instructions. [Re: Winston Psmith]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

He uses strats... I'm sure that's a thing with the language thing, but a soundman would be focused on amps.

Also, since they're Japanese I don't think they'd look down upon Squier or Vantage guitars (I don't).

I think amps are more important than guitars, honestly. A cheap guitar through a great amp sounds good. A great guitar through a cheap, bad amp sounds bad.

#2488717 - 04/27/13 08:41 PM Re: A bands live mixing instructions. [Re: p90jr]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

@P90jr, I would take a great guitar over a great amp any day. I'm hardly even using my amps and I find myself neglecting my electric guitars too. I'm spending more time on the acoustic these days and going direct to the PA both on electrics and acoustics...You probably have more stage needs and expertise and I appreciate your opinion, for sure!

#2488726 - 04/27/13 10:25 PM Re: A bands live mixing instructions. [Re: Larryz]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
I can understand that.

Great Guitar + Bad Amp = bad sound & great feel

Great Amp + Bad Guitar = good sound & bad feel

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (04/27/13 10:25 PM)

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2488749 - 04/28/13 05:33 AM Re: A bands live mixing instructions. [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
A String Administrator Offline
Admin
10k Club

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I've never understood the "selective stage monitors" thing. We always had the FOH mix minus about 50% of the drums. It felt like playing in a studio. You could hear where you were in the mix and knew when you should play louder and when to play quieter.

When you are the loudest thing in the mix and you and have the sound guy remove some instruments, you lose a lot of the subtitles and finesse in your playing.
My Pics

#2488811 - 04/28/13 09:37 AM Re: A bands live mixing instructions. [Re: Larryz]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Larryz
@P90jr, I would take a great guitar over a great amp any day. I'm hardly even using my amps and I find myself neglecting my electric guitars too. I'm spending more time on the acoustic these days and going direct to the PA both on electrics and acoustics...You probably have more stage needs and expertise and I appreciate your opinion, for sure!

Oh, I hope I didn't sound dismissive of your opinion...

Definitely if given the choice I'm sure we all want good across the board. I don't like playing "bad" guitars... drives me crazy.

I played a prom last night with a guy here who does what tons of people here do... he hunted down some old Harmony Rocket, and he played that for a chunk of the set. Sounded okay... I like those old foil pickups, but those guitars aren't for me. I'd probably punch my fist through it or snap off the neck if I got carried away. I appreciate old cool kitsch... I love Danelectro/Silvertone guitars (which are solid and serviceable despite the cheapo materials) and have a bunch of Teisco/Silvertones I've been given... but I don't know if I consider them "good." With a good amp you can coax good sounds of them.

I'll say that a truly good amp is more forgiving of a mediocre guitar than vice versa. Though I was playing a Komet one night at a show in a theater and let the guy in the other band use it, and his low end Epiphones and Ibanez Artcores (due mainly to bad set-ups and maintenance, from what I saw) had their problems amplified by the amp and sounded worse than usual... the bad intonation, bad fret spots and scratchy jacks cut through the mix perfectly!

I'm with you on the acoustics. I think everyone should play acoustics unplugged a lot and concentrate on coaxing great tones out of them (instead of bashing away). I think it really helps your technique.

#2488830 - 04/28/13 10:51 AM Re: A bands live mixing instructions. [Re: p90jr]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

@P90jr, Speaking of being dismissive of opinions (of which you never sound that way to me), I can't get that Wechter double cutaway acoustic you brought up on the Les Paul thread out of my mind! It's on sale for $650 right now and I'm trying hard to resist temptation...

Ps. +1 a bad guitar on a good amp, cutting through the mix perfectly while scratching, popping and going out of tune, is not a good thing!

Edited by Larryz (04/28/13 05:22 PM)
Edit Reason: ps.

#2489112 - 04/29/13 01:59 PM Re: A bands live mixing instructions. [Re: Larryz]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

I saw a vid of maybe Carl Verheyen or somebody playing one... I've been interested ever since...

#2489115 - 04/29/13 02:04 PM Re: A bands live mixing instructions. [Re: p90jr]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

#2489165 - 04/29/13 04:13 PM Re: A bands live mixing instructions. [Re: Larryz]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
, I can't get that Wechter double cutaway acoustic you brought up on the Les Paul thread out of my mind! It's on sale for $650 right now and I'm trying hard to resist temptation...

Try it while you can. My luthier just told me a couple days ago that Wechter has ceased production. Sweetwater has the remaining stock & will provide service into the future, but no new Wechters are being imported.
I tried one while talking to my guy. It was OK, but not Taylor, Martin, Collings, Santa Cruz OK. There's a lot of competition at Wechter's price point.

#2489169 - 04/29/13 04:19 PM Re: A bands live mixing instructions. [Re: Scott Fraser]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
I didn't see any announcement on Wechter's site...

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2489191 - 04/29/13 05:24 PM Re: A bands live mixing instructions. [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: Dannyalcatraz
I didn't see any announcement on Wechter's site...

Yeah, that's weird. My luthier is a Wechter dealer, so I'm pretty sure he has good information on this.

#2489228 - 04/29/13 08:33 PM Re: A bands live mixing instructions. [Re: Scott Fraser]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Scott Fraser
, I can't get that Wechter double cutaway acoustic you brought up on the Les Paul thread out of my mind! It's on sale for $650 right now and I'm trying hard to resist temptation...

Try it while you can. My luthier just told me a couple days ago that Wechter has ceased production. Sweetwater has the remaining stock & will provide service into the future, but no new Wechters are being imported.
I tried one while talking to my guy. It was OK, but not Taylor, Martin, Collings, Santa Cruz OK. There's a lot of competition at Wechter's price point.

I played on my buddies Wechter Parlor model today and it played and sounded pretty good. I'm leaning toward the $369 travel guitar by Wechter. I found a new one through a guitar store in Florida. My buddy sent his Taylor GS Mini back to Sweetwater and that's how he wound up with the Wechter Parlor Elite which runs about $450 right now. I was not impressed with the GS Mini either. The Parlor model is a better deal than the Wechter travel guitar and comes with a case instead of a gig bag. But I'm thinking that little travel model is just too darn cute and may pull the trigger on it! I'm mainly going to be using the Wechter as a camping, BBQ party jams, and beach guitar. Having a little fun guitar will allow me to leave my Taylor 416 ltd acoustic at home (which cost about $1,500).

Thanks for the info Scott, and I hope Wechter stays in business
as they make a pretty darn good low end product that's easy to play (I would recommend them for beginning students)...

Edited by Larryz (04/29/13 08:42 PM)
Edit Reason: sp

#2493006 - 05/13/13 06:32 PM Re: A bands live mixing instructions. [Re: Larryz]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
read the instructions for the front-of-house, and take a guess who wrote the instructions...

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose