Music Player Network

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 16 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16
Re: New PX-5S owners...Please Post Reviews Here [Re: mate stubb] #2506204 06/26/13 03:52 PM
P
Pa Gherkin Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
P
A month or so ago while talking shop with another working keyboard player I mentioned my interest in the PX5S. He's been around about as long as I have,yet his response was "Yeah,but do you really want an instrument that says Casio on it?" I said I didn't care what name was printed on it as long as it sounded great, played really nicely and was made by a company big enough to have a strong network of sales,repair and support. The guy with whom i was speaking is a smart guy and a fine player and his irrational bias was surprising.

Remember when Moog and Arp were the big guns and along came instruments with nerdy names like Roland and Korg? Oh wait...Those are what he plays. Yeah,me too. Just because Casio made some great watches ,cell phones and toy keyboards,etc. doesn't put them out of the running in the pro keyboard market. However,it does seem that the Privia name was originally a hedge against the aforementioned bias. Meanwhile,I'm enjoying the hell out of my PX5S.

KC Island
Re: New PX-5S owners...Please Post Reviews Here [Re: Pa Gherkin] #2506218 06/26/13 04:36 PM
J
jerrythek Offline
MPN Advisory Board
Platinum Member
MPN Advisory Board
Platinum Member
J
It's interesting that this bias still exists. As a demonstrator from 1980-1984 and Product Manager from 1984-1988 I faced this bias BIG TIME. People love the CZ and other products but back when we were selling them it was hard to be taken seriously. But Casio has upped their game for the last 5-8 years now, and I would think the toy image had really subsided. Go figure...

Once I start playing no one scoffs at my PX5S...(for the sound quality, not my playing!) and the other keyboard players around take a listen, lift up one end and are sold.

Re: New PX-5S owners...Please Post Reviews Here [Re: jerrythek] #2506249 06/26/13 06:44 PM
ABECK Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I do remember the CZ series raising a few eyebrows. But, i seem to remember that later models like the FZ and VZ series were welcomed with a little less skepticism among musicians.

Re: New PX-5S owners...Please Post Reviews Here [Re: Pa Gherkin] #2506252 06/26/13 06:52 PM
H
HammondDave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
H
Originally Posted By: Pa Gherkin
..."Yeah,but do you really want an instrument that says Casio on it?"

What do you think they invented duct tape for?

Seriously, I don't give a damn what the name is... If it sounds good, it sounds good... period!

'55 and '59 B3's, Leslies 147, 122, 21H, Motif XS7, Mellotrons M300 and M400, Wurlitzer 200, Gibson G101, Vox Continental, Mojo
Re: New PX-5S owners...Please Post Reviews Here [Re: HammondDave] #2506255 06/26/13 06:58 PM
uncledunc Offline
Originally Posted By: Hammonddave
...What do you think they invented duct tape for?...

I've got black gaffer tape across the "Nord" logo on my electro 3. Nothing against Nord, I just think it looks better that way. You don't see logos a foot wide on the front of guitars. Why should they be on the front (the side the audience looks at) of keyboards? If they want endorsers to advertise their products, great. Give the endorsers the ones with the logos on them.

Re: New PX-5S owners...Please Post Reviews Here [Re: uncledunc] #2506257 06/26/13 07:00 PM
Joe Muscara Online Content
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club
Online Content
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club
Originally Posted By: uncledunc
You don't see logos a foot wide on the front of guitars.
*cough* Amplifiers and kick drums. *cough*

The great thing about music is that there's always something to learn. The frustrating thing about music is that there's always something to learn!
Re: New PX-5S owners...Please Post Reviews Here [Re: uncledunc] #2506258 06/26/13 07:14 PM
DulceLabs.com Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member

Re: New PX-5S owners...Please Post Reviews Here [Re: Joe Muscara] #2506260 06/26/13 07:28 PM
uncledunc Offline
Originally Posted By: Joe Muscara

"a foot wide" is the key. Every company puts their name on their gear. Only keyboards have them in huge white lettering that can still be seen on the darkest stages. Granted, we're so used to seeing advertising everywhere, we don't even notice. I think it's tacky, unless it's the band name. At least then you're in control of the advertising associated with your image.

Re: New PX-5S owners...Please Post Reviews Here [Re: uncledunc] #2506263 06/26/13 07:47 PM
T
t9cstudio Offline
T

"a foot wide" is the key.

Well, I guess you're very happy then the Casio & Privia logos are less than a foot wide and Privia is black.

But, I like seeing the kybd logos that real pros use. (no offense intended!!)

oh, and I get way more conversation starters about my E3 than the PX-5

Last edited by t9cstudio; 06/26/13 07:51 PM.

NS3-88, Kronos 2-61, QSC K8.2's.
Re: New PX-5S owners...Please Post Reviews Here [Re: t9cstudio] #2506266 06/26/13 07:57 PM
DulceLabs.com Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: t9cstudio

"a foot wide" is the key.

Well, I guess you're very happy then the Casio & Privia logos are less than a foot wide and Privia is black.

But, I like seeing the kybd logos that real pros use. (no offense intended!!)

oh, and I get way more conversation starters about my E3 than the PX-5

They just need to make a PX-5SRD smile

Re: New PX-5S owners...Please Post Reviews Here [Re: ABECK] #2506269 06/26/13 08:10 PM
J
jerrythek Offline
MPN Advisory Board
Platinum Member
MPN Advisory Board
Platinum Member
J
Originally Posted By: ABECK
I do remember the CZ series raising a few eyebrows. But, i seem to remember that later models like the FZ and VZ series were welcomed with a little less skepticism among musicians.

FZ, perhaps. VZ was dead on arrival, unfortunately. It came out and then in quick succession the D-50 and M1 came out. A fully digital synth with no onboard effects didn't have a chance.

The AZ-1 was possibly the best controller/keytar of its generation and we couldn't give them away.

I'm not saying it was only the brand name, but the "toy/department store" image was hard to escape.

Anyway - how about that PX5S?
wave

Re: New PX-5S owners...Please Post Reviews Here [Re: jerrythek] #2506274 06/26/13 08:29 PM
DulceLabs.com Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: jerrythek

Anyway - how about that PX5S?
wave

Ah yes the PX-5S. Thanks for knocking back on track, Jerry! blush

Another preset demo! I made this recording today from the Rainy Dayz Stage Setting. I really went to town with the sliders so you can hear they effect the timber.

https://soundcloud.com/keyz2401/coastal-rain

Remember to wear your headphones!

Re: New PX-5S owners...Please Post Reviews Here [Re: uncledunc] #2506292 06/26/13 09:16 PM
Joe Muscara Online Content
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club
Online Content
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club

"a foot wide" is the key. Every company puts their name on their gear. Only keyboards have them in huge white lettering that can still be seen on the darkest stages.

vs.

(Sorry to continue this guys. It's a peeve of mine. smile )

The great thing about music is that there's always something to learn. The frustrating thing about music is that there's always something to learn!
Re: New PX-5S owners...Please Post Reviews Here [Re: Joe Muscara] #2506294 06/26/13 09:20 PM
DulceLabs.com Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member

(Sorry to continue this guys. It's a peeve of mine. smile )

The only Crayon left in your box is a very sad, half-eaten one.

Re: New PX-5S owners...Please Post Reviews Here [Re: DulceLabs.com] #2506303 06/26/13 09:53 PM
uncledunc Offline
Okay, I was wrong about Marshall amps and Ludwig drums, but I still don't recall seeing huge logos on guitars, even though there's plenty of room for them on the guitar body. I do know that if I had the PX-5s as the bottom tier, and my electro 3 with the blacked-out logo as the 2nd tier, I'd black out "casio" so they both matched. cool

The good thing about the PX-5s is that the white finish would lend itself to a custom paint job (thinking about the custom-painted Nord I saw in another thread.) I'm sure it won't be long before we see a paisley patterned PX-5s in a jam band, or a camo one on the Outlaw Country circuit.

Re: New PX-5S owners...Please Post Reviews Here [Re: uncledunc] #2506307 06/26/13 10:02 PM
T
t9cstudio Offline
T
I might go for some vinyl covering if I didn't like it as.

NS3-88, Kronos 2-61, QSC K8.2's.
Re: New PX-5S owners...Please Post Reviews Here [Re: t9cstudio] #2506451 06/27/13 10:58 AM
B
b3maniac Offline
B
You can buy stick on vinyl in different colors. That is used on racing bike number plates, so it works well. Logo's don't bother me but I will cover them if required by contract. Don

Re: New PX-5S owners...Please Post Reviews Here [Re: b3maniac] #2506477 06/27/13 12:05 PM
DulceLabs.com Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I don't mind the lettering either, but this is one I would probably cover up:

Re: New PX-5S owners...Please Post Reviews Here [Re: DulceLabs.com] #2506510 06/27/13 01:25 PM
Brad Saucier Offline
Awww the kitten. purrr.

Ok. How long are brand new alkaline batteries supposed to last in the PX-5S. I bought pack of Rayovacs from wally world and I'm pretty sure I only got little more than an hour out of them before the low battery warning popped up. IDK I didn't time it but they sure seemed quick to die.

As far as the brand name thing on keyboards. I would be proud to go on any stage with a keyboard that reads CASIO boldly. I would love to see the jaws drop when they hear what the "toy" keyboard guys can do. But I'm no pro so I can't. frown

Re: New PX-5S owners...Please Post Reviews Here [Re: Brad Saucier] #2506527 06/27/13 01:56 PM
Ekewaka Offline
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Well, if some don't get a PX-5S due to the Casio branding, that's fine for me. I want this to be the secret weapon of choice for cool sounds.

Re: New PX-5S owners...Please Post Reviews Here [Re: Brad Saucier] #2506531 06/27/13 02:02 PM
DulceLabs.com Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: Brad MZ-2000

Ok. How long are brand new alkaline batteries supposed to last in the PX-5S. I bought pack of Rayovacs from wally world and I'm pretty sure I only got little more than an hour out of them before the low battery warning popped up. IDK I didn't time it but they sure seemed quick to die.

Hi Brad - the spec sheet says approx. 3 hours using alkaline batteries.

Re: New PX-5S owners...Please Post Reviews Here [Re: Ekewaka] #2506532 06/27/13 02:04 PM
tucktronix Online Content
Platinum Member
Online Content
Platinum Member
Originally Posted By: Ekewaka
Well, if some don't get a PX-5S due to the Casio branding, that's fine for me. I want this to be the secret weapon of choice for cool sounds.

This is actually a good thing. You want them to come in expecting less. When they hear it, they go "wow!!!". There are many bands I've seen with Rolands, Yamahas, Korgs in their rigs and I come in expecting the "holy grail" of soundage.. only to hear far less.

Kronos 88 Platinum, Casio PX-5S, Novation Ultranova, Korg CX3, Rhodes Stage 73, QSC K12, Lester K

Me & The Boyz
Chris Beard Band
Re: New PX-5S owners...Please Post Reviews Here [Re: tucktronix] #2506540 06/27/13 02:32 PM
Brad Saucier Offline
"the spec sheet says approx. 3 hours using alkaline batteries"

I'll have to time my next 8 batteries. It was a 16 pack that I bought. If they don't last 3 hours then Wal-Mart will get a pack of batteries back.

Re: New PX-5S owners...Please Post Reviews Here [Re: Brad Saucier] #2506551 06/27/13 03:15 PM
Bill H. Online Content
MP Hall of Fame Member
Online Content
MP Hall of Fame Member
I've been spending all week programming mine for my praise and worship team.

To me, the PX-5s is a rather unusual combination of cutting edge technology mixed in with outdated features that most manufacturers abandoned 20 years ago.

The fully assignable knobs and sliders are simply brilliant - no more "you can do this, but you can't do that" limitations that other brands have given me. The ability to reach across zonal lines and freely mix different components in separate hexes has opened up incredible sonic possibilities for me.

OTOH you've got envelopes whose parameters are spread across several pages, don't update in real time (so you can hear your edits), and have absolutely no graphic representation to help you out either. I don't think I've run into anything quite like this since the DX7. It would be a daunting challenge (to say the least) for anyone who hasn't had years of experience programming romplers to try to set an envelope from scratch in a hex layer. And there are other things of a similar nature scattered throughout this keyboard.

Like many, I thought the action was a bit too heavy to the touch at first. What I discovered was that the action itself is fine. The sounds are just programmed for a heavy hand. Unlike my older Studiologic controller (which this is replacing in the church) the PX-5s action responds very accurately to light velocities, so for me it was just a matter of programming my sounds to take advantage of that.

Once I spliced a kind of patch layer between A4 and E5 to the grand piano, smoothed out the first 1/4 second or so of the attack bump, and added some highs (seems to be on everyone's to do list) I like the main piano sound lot. The bottom half of the piano is especially strong. If anyone's interested, I may post my take on the PX-5s piano after I'm done tweaking it and if I get brave enough laugh

The looks of the piano don't bother me at all. And we're definitely good with it's form factor and weight smile All in all, I'm extremely happy with this purchase. It's a very unique product whose features were exactly what I was looking for.

Re: New PX-5S owners...Please Post Reviews Here [Re: Bill H.] #2506570 06/27/13 03:40 PM
DulceLabs.com Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: Bill H.
If anyone's interested, I may post my take on the PX-5s piano after I'm done tweaking it and if I get brave enough laugh

Thanks, Bill.. I'm interested - If you don't mind sharing your sound, could you please upload the file to the casiomusicforums.com DL area?

Re: New PX-5S owners...Please Post Reviews Here [Re: Bill H.] #2506572 06/27/13 03:45 PM
Mike Martin Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Hi Bill,

Just for clarification purposes, I'll add my $.02.
The architecture of a Hex-Layer is actually not much different at all from a six layer program on a Kurzweil product. When you in any editing screen (filter, envelope...etc) the buttons just to the bottom left of the display allow you to move between the six layers. Unlike a Kurzweil you can make changes to all six layers at once.

The envelopes themselves are actually quite powerful with their multiple stages for each section (pitch, filter, amp) The Editor does provide graphic representation of the envelopes, taking a look at how these appear on screen might help you get a better grasp of the instrument.

Looks like a good topic for the next online clinic.

Re: New PX-5S owners...Please Post Reviews Here [Re: Mike Martin] #2506579 06/27/13 04:03 PM
Bill H. Online Content
MP Hall of Fame Member
Online Content
MP Hall of Fame Member
Hi Mike,

If there's graphic representation for the envelopes in the editor, that will be a big help. I must admit that I downloaded it, looked it over, but haven't actually used it. I must have missed them or else I would have been using it all along.

Yes the envelopes are very good. For anyone else who goes into it this deeply, Decay Level 3 is your sustain. I wish there were a number or two between 0 and 1. It's quite a jump.

Mike what does Release 2 time do? Can't figure it out... smirk

Re: New PX-5S owners...Please Post Reviews Here [Re: DulceLabs.com] #2506583 06/27/13 04:13 PM
Bill H. Online Content
MP Hall of Fame Member
Online Content
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: Keyz2401
Originally Posted By: Bill H.
If anyone's interested, I may post my take on the PX-5s piano after I'm done tweaking it and if I get brave enough laugh

Thanks, Bill.. I'm interested - If you don't mind sharing your sound, could you please upload the file to the casiomusicforums.com DL area?

I'll probably tweak it a few times more, then sure smile I only get to play mine in public once a week, which is my test for my edits. I want to give it a couple of more times.

Re: New PX-5S owners...Please Post Reviews Here [Re: Mike Martin] #2506627 06/27/13 06:08 PM
A
Al Coda Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
A
Originally Posted By: Mike Martin
Unlike a Kurzweil you can make changes to all six layers at once.

Interesting !
Are the changes relative to the different parameter settings already stored for each layer ?
As an example, lets say one decides to change the cutoff frequency for ALL layers and these have different cutoff frequency offsets (each layer), will that "global" parameter change affect each layer in a relative way ?
That would be really cool if it does, also for envelope times changes (ADSR).

The envelopes themselves are actually quite powerful with their multiple stages for each section (pitch, filter, amp) The Editor does provide graphic representation of the envelopes, taking a look at how these appear on screen might help you get a better grasp of the instrument.

Looks like a good topic for the next online clinic.

Yes !

A.C.

Re: New PX-5S owners...Please Post Reviews Here [Re: Al Coda] #2506657 06/27/13 07:40 PM
Bill H. Online Content
MP Hall of Fame Member
Online Content
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: Al Coda
Unlike a Kurzweil you can make changes to all six layers at once.

Interesting !
Are the changes relative to the different parameter settings already stored for each layer ?
As an example, lets say one decides to change the cutoff frequency for ALL layers and these have different cutoff frequency offsets (each layer), will that "global" parameter change affect each layer in a relative way ?
That would be really cool if it does, also for envelope times changes (ADSR).

When you select "All" in Layer edit, edits are absolute.
The parameter on the screen is reflected in all six layers - including envelope times and levels.

Mike can correct me if I'm wrong, but when you edit a (much simpler) tone envelope, your changes are offsets. The numbers go in positive or negative directions.

I think I've figured out what Release 2 time is (two release speeds separated by a break point?) I've just never encountered it before. I've never owned a Kurzweil so some of this is new to me. I've always been a Roland and Yamaha guy.

An envelope clinic would be most helpful Mike. There are some idiosyncrasies to these envelopes that I'm still trying to figure out. For example, when I set two decay levels to the same number, the number in the time parameter between them doesn't seem to make any difference. On a Roland, you can get an envelope to "hang" for a bit when doing that, and the hang time is set by adjusting that number.

Page 13 of 16 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16

Moderated by  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner