Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2487449 - 04/23/13 09:51 AM Pawn Star Update!
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
It seems a long, long time ago I posted a thread about an episode of "Pawn Stars" concerning someone trying to sell the guys a Fender guitar signed by CHUCK BERRY. Not being in the room and just hardly hearing it, I couldn't remember if the guy was claiming it was one of Chuck's guitars, or one he just signed. I also, to my embarassment, mistitled the threat "Jimi and Fender".

Well, I caught the rerun of it last night. Apparently, it was a PICKGUARD that was signed and installed on a cheap Chinese Strat. The pawn guy claimed that sometimes musicians are paid so much to sign a shitload of pickguards that then go on sale for more than they're worth due to being signed. The Strat this guy put it on was a cheapie, alright. The strings were hitting the pick-ups, the neck was warped, and he refused to pay the guy the $2,000 he was asking.

Glad THAT'S over!
Whitefang

GP Island
#2487494 - 04/23/13 01:29 PM Re: Pawn Star Update! [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
My brother won an autographed (on the pick guard) Robert Cray Strat at a concert. The marker pen wears off real easy if you play it, so I told him to buy a replacement PG if he's going to play it and put the original in a frame...

#2487524 - 04/23/13 03:41 PM Re: Pawn Star Update! [Re: Larryz]
Dannyalcatraz Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
I have a buddy who always takes pickguards to autograph sessions by bands and guitarists. He's got some good ones.

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose