Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2487031 - 04/21/13 09:19 PM Praise and Worship Guitarists
MT Hoople Offline

Loc: Central New York
I really took offense to Marc Bostic's response to Tim Crowe's "Rant of the Month". Marc may have played in a P/W band for 7 years, but apparently didn't learn much. For one thing much of what is heard on "mainstream" Christian radio is pop-rock. If you turn the dial to any mainstream station you will find the same type of sound. It's called [/b]pop[b]rock for a reason. Christian music is not for entertainment, it's for "praising" and "worshiping" Jesus Christ. That being said, there are many bands that we don't hear on Christian radio because they don't fit into the pop-rock format. There are heavy metal bands, blues bands, hard rock bands, rap, etc. So please don't dismiss Christian bands as being "repetitive and simplistic". Looking for creativity? Listen to Toby Mac, Skillet, NeedtoBreathe, etc. Please check out Glenn Kaiser. He is a fantastic guitarist from the southside of Chicago and use to play in the Rez Band (pioneers of Christian rock). I guarantee you won't be disappointed. Also Jesse Garcia of Building 429 would be another good interview. I look forward to coverage of the Praise and Worship community. Thanks GP.

#2487372 - 04/23/13 04:14 AM Re: Praise and Worship Guitarists [Re: MT Hoople]
Griffinator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

Loc: Lynchburg, VA, USA
As someone who grew up being exposed to rubbish like Stryper and Petra, then found my way into other, much more vibrant and interesting "Christian" music niches (and, even if you despise the poppy sound the Newsboys deliver, you gotta admit they are witty as hell lyrically and bring a pretty good variety musically within the "pop" genre), I heartily agree.

Much like mainstream music, one has to dig a little to find CCM that fits one's tastes. Saying all CCM sucks because of what they play on CCM radio is like saying all music sucks because of what they play on top-40 radio.

#2490037 - 05/02/13 11:37 AM Re: Praise and Worship Guitarists [Re: Griffinator]
Eric Iverson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Jackson Heights, NY
I've played in P&W bands over the years, a faithful church mouse, right now looking to let my inner RAT come out, LOL - nothing EVIL, you understand...... just a little more creative than most Christian music I'm hearing these days.

But I agree, there are many different styles of music about Christ - and doubtless many talented artists I should be hearing.

The ideal would be a coffeehouse type of environment where you would have a little more freedom than most church situations. Not that I refuse to do CCM Greatest Hits and/or standard hymns; just hard to get excited about it as a musician! (No criticism implied of anyone else here.)

#2490074 - 05/02/13 01:22 PM Re: Praise and Worship Guitarists [Re: Eric Iverson]
Griffinator Offline
TPS cook & bottle washer
20k Club

Loc: Lynchburg, VA, USA
Originally Posted By: Eric Iverson
I've played in P&W bands over the years, a faithful church mouse, right now looking to let my inner RAT come out, LOL - nothing EVIL, you understand...... just a little more creative than most Christian music I'm hearing these days.

But I agree, there are many different styles of music about Christ - and doubtless many talented artists I should be hearing.

The ideal would be a coffeehouse type of environment where you would have a little more freedom than most church situations. Not that I refuse to do CCM Greatest Hits and/or standard hymns; just hard to get excited about it as a musician! (No criticism implied of anyone else here.)

I actually played in a "church band" in a coffee house thing they used to do on Wednesday nights in the church basement. We got a TON of levity regarding what we could and couldn't play, and though there were certain members that always wanted to do certain pop CCM tunes, we also mixed in selections from Radiohead, Concrete Blonde (actually did a duet with my ex-wife on "Close To Home"), Queens of the Stone Age (I did an impromptu rendition of "The Mosquito Song" on a comedy-themed night), and even Mr. Bungle (again my contribution - "Retrovertigo")

Yeah, that was a lot more fun than a traditional worship service group... grin

#2496544 - 05/26/13 10:14 AM Re: Praise and Worship Guitarists [Re: MT Hoople]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
Originally Posted By: MT Hoople
Christian music is not for entertainment, it's for "praising" and "worshiping" Jesus Christ.

Hoop, ol' buddy, I gotta disagree with you about that statement. Christian music is about "ministry", which may include (but is not limited to) praise & worship. Christian music can teach, exhort, encourage, prophesy, and yes, even entertain. It can do pretty much anything preaching can do. It's just a different medium than speaking.