Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2486977 - 04/21/13 05:41 PM Les Paul
Sound_Pursuit Offline

Loc: Humble, TX USA
In the next 3 months or so I plan to buy a Les Paul. I currently play a Strat and will be keeping it.

I'm fine with buying used. Solid body, not chambered. Would like to keep it under $1,500.

Any suggestions for models and years to look for (or avoid) would be appreciated. Thanks!

GP Island
#2487029 - 04/21/13 09:13 PM Re: Les Paul [Re: Sound_Pursuit]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
When you say Les Paul, do you mean Gibson Les Paul only, or are you open to other manufacturers' interpretation of the Les Paul, of comperable quality?

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2487033 - 04/21/13 09:22 PM Re: Les Paul [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Bluesape Moderator Offline
10k Club

Loc: Ottawa
I luv my Studio! It is chambered, but even new would be under 1500.00. A used Classic would be another good choice. In terms of retaining resale value, a real Gibson trumps any model emulating it, regardless of brand. Lotsa great guitars can be had, but if ya get something that your Strat still makes ya keep in its case(ya wouldn't be the first), A Gibby'll get yer money back out of it, more so than any LP clone.

#2487140 - 04/22/13 09:07 AM Re: Les Paul [Re: Bluesape]
Bartholomew Offline

Loc: Montreal
I have a 74 LP Custom - it has been said those seventies years aren't so hot but this one sounds great through any amp in any situation.

Also jammed with a guy who had a new one - sounds almost identical.

But mine is like a boat anchor.

http://www.bandmix.ca/jamrocker/

#2487167 - 04/22/13 10:01 AM Re: Les Paul [Re: Bartholomew]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LPZSRWCH/ <--- this may not be for everyone but you can't say I didn't come up with something truly interesting. No fret markers, P90/Humbucker, rainbow, under $1,500! "What, me worry?"... cool

#2487178 - 04/22/13 10:34 AM Re: Les Paul [Re: Larryz]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

There's 2 Standards on Craigslist where I live at the moment for $1600. The Traditional Pro and Classics and Deluxes and all of those turn up for $1400 and down.

So, yeah, I'm sure you can find one used... it's just a matter of what features and pickups you want.

The Standard is... well, THE Standard.

#2487181 - 04/22/13 10:38 AM Re: Les Paul [Re: Larryz]
CEB Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

If I wanted a Les Paul guitar I would look at new and used Heritage H140, H150 or H157. Still hand built in the old Gibson factory Kalamazoo Mi and ran by the old Gibson crew.

I will never buy anothe ES-335. If I get another Semi Hollow it will be a Heritage H-535 or H-555 .... unless I get a wildhair and buy a Tele Thinline.

Edited by CEB (04/22/13 10:42 AM)

#2487262 - 04/22/13 03:30 PM Re: Les Paul [Re: CEB]
Fred_C Online   content
Gold Member

Loc: PA
Hey CEB,

I know that Heritage guitars are very high quality and are an excellent alternative to a Gibson. I thought that they were in significant financial trouble and at one point had gone out of biz. I may be mistaken about this.

Due to your post, I went online and found their website. Evidently they are back on track and making guitars again. They are on the list for when I can afford a top quality, high end instrument.

#2487264 - 04/22/13 03:45 PM Re: Les Paul [Re: Fred_C]
CEB Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Most of my favorite brands can't make a go of it anymore or have to change the way they do business and become less appealing to me.

I hated to see Robin stop production. They made some great guitars.

Reverend if all Korean built stuff now and they pulled the rug out from under their dealers and only sell direct.

I don't know how long Heritage will be around. I need to get a H-535 while I can.

#2487268 - 04/22/13 04:12 PM Re: Les Paul [Re: Sound_Pursuit]
Sound_Pursuit Offline

Loc: Humble, TX USA
Thanks for all the great advice. I'll probably stick to a Gibson as opposed to Epiphone or others...unless I find something that I like better.

I'm looking forward to playing a bunch of guitars in the next couple of months. I was warned that the quality varies fairly dramatically, so the only true test is to play em. But I was hoping to narrow the search a bit.

Thanks for the input.

#2487278 - 04/22/13 05:03 PM Re: Les Paul [Re: CEB]
Fred_C Online   content
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: CEB

I hated to see Robin stop production. They made some great guitars.

Who/What is Robin?

#2487279 - 04/22/13 05:07 PM Re: Les Paul [Re: Sound_Pursuit]
Fred_C Online   content
Gold Member

I agree w/CEB. I would prefer a Heritage to a Gibson. They're certainly worth a look. Although they're going to be a lot more expensive than your stated budget of $1500.

Is there anything more fun than shopping for a new instrument?

#2487282 - 04/22/13 05:24 PM Re: Les Paul [Re: Fred_C]
CEB Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

A little guitar company from Texas. They still sell Rio Grande pickups but shut down the guitar business in 2010.

http://robinguitars.com/home.html

#2487296 - 04/22/13 06:00 PM Re: Les Paul [Re: CEB]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Robin went under? Darn. frown

#2487301 - 04/22/13 06:12 PM Re: Les Paul [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
CEB Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

They kept all the tools are machinery. They have not totally ruled out a return.

#2487315 - 04/22/13 07:12 PM Re: Les Paul [Re: CEB]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

Robin and Hamer are gone... shame.

I love my Heritage H 140. "This thing feels more like an old Gibson than a new Gibson does!" Bandmate who picked it up after a gig a few months ago.

Not cheap, maybe out of the price range, but Nik Huber and Collings are outstanding guitars.

I know a few people who were Les Paul players who've gotten into PRS Starlas.

#2487324 - 04/22/13 07:43 PM Re: Les Paul [Re: p90jr]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

http://www.wechterguitars.com/models/Solid_Body_Series/PM-7350 <---- here's a website worth checking out. My buddy bought an acoustic/electric parlor sized guitar from him out of Sweetwater for about $600. It plays and sounds wonderful plugged or unplugged. He worked for Gibson for many years and started his own company. He definitely knows his stuff and is reasonable on his pricing. A Les Paul double cutaway type would probably run about $1,200...it also has the flat Strat/Tele style bridge saddles that I like to include a whammy, two volumes, one master tone, phase switch, SD Humbuckers with switching, mo-hog body with maple top, hell I might buy one myself if I don't quit looking...

ps. here's his bio... http://www.wechterguitars.com/about_wechter

pss. here's the 7350 for a lot less moo-lah http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PM7350SB/
How about $799...be sure to watch the whole vid! They are made in Korea but the final touches are done in Indiana according to the bio...

Edited by Larryz (04/22/13 08:23 PM)
Edit Reason: pss

#2487412 - 04/23/13 07:53 AM Re: Les Paul [Re: Sound_Pursuit]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Sound_Pursuit
In the next 3 months or so I plan to buy a Les Paul. I currently play a Strat and will be keeping it.

I'm fine with buying used. Solid body, not chambered. Would like to keep it under $1,500.

Any suggestions for models and years to look for (or avoid) would be appreciated. Thanks!

back to your original questions.

You'll probably have to buy used, unless the Studio or Studio Tributes appeal to you.

research the different models as far as features go.

The mid 60s - 1980 were Gibson's "lost" period, the guitars are inconsistent (in quality and construction) so you have to play each one and judge it individually... but people want so much for those "vintage" pieces so they might be out of the price range, anyway.

Newer guitars are all pretty much the same IMO... Gibson's aren't handmade in this era but mass produced using computerized machines and hand-assembled... which means you don't get the duds that used to ship every once in a while but you don't get the occasional one in a million incredible piece, either. They're all pretty good, unless you go custom shop, which isn't $1600.

Happy hunting.

#2487415 - 04/23/13 08:10 AM Re: Les Paul [Re: Larryz]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Larryz
http://www.wechterguitars.com/models/Solid_Body_Series/PM-7350 <---- here's a website worth checking out. My buddy bought an acoustic/electric parlor sized guitar from him out of Sweetwater for about $600. It plays and sounds wonderful plugged or unplugged. He worked for Gibson for many years and started his own company. He definitely knows his stuff and is reasonable on his pricing. A Les Paul double cutaway type would probably run about $1,200...it also has the flat Strat/Tele style bridge saddles that I like to include a whammy, two volumes, one master tone, phase switch, SD Humbuckers with switching, mo-hog body with maple top, hell I might buy one myself if I don't quit looking...

ps. here's his bio... http://www.wechterguitars.com/about_wechter

pss. here's the 7350 for a lot less moo-lah http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PM7350SB/
How about $799...be sure to watch the whole vid! They are made in Korea but the final touches are done in Indiana according to the bio...

I want a Wechter acoustic with the double cutaways.

I think these are cool guitars, Korea makes good instruments.

Few people seem to like to stray from the "big" brands, though... and in the case of something like Heritage, which is more of a direct descendent of golden age Gibsons than new Gibsons (made by the same guys in the same factory on the same machines and tools, rather than mechanized in a new factory in a different place altogether) it makes no sense to me... but I'll enjoy the lower used market price for that quirk.

#2487427 - 04/23/13 09:02 AM Re: Les Paul [Re: p90jr]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Few people seem to like to stray from the "big" brands, though...

Oddly, given my general nature, I'm fairly adventurous when it comes to trying out different brands in the market. Heaven help me if I ever win the lottery: I'll be buying a new house, just to house the guitars off my epic G.A.S. list.

I mean, who else in the USA is looking for a Swing Exciter Gold?

#2487435 - 04/23/13 09:15 AM Re: Les Paul [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
SEHpicker Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Inverness, Florida
My main gig guitar is a 1990 Gibson LP Standard. I love it. I've played many really nice LPs over the years that have "spoken" to me - but this one carries on a conversation! cool

www.huntgroupproductions.com

#2487491 - 04/23/13 01:23 PM Re: Les Paul [Re: SEHpicker]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

@P90jr: I like the concept of the double cutaway acoustic but it looks a little strange to me in the pictures for a hollow-body, I would have to see one up close first. I think the design would would look great on a semi-hollow-body like a Rick...I would kind of like to have an old non-cutaway acoustic Wechter as it would make a great campfire or travel guitar...

Edited by Larryz (04/23/13 01:24 PM)
Edit Reason: sp

#2487513 - 04/23/13 03:22 PM Re: Les Paul [Re: p90jr]
leftyaxeman Offline

Loc: just south of the swamps
I highly recommend Heritage guitars. I have a H-150CM, it's my best sounding guitar. It's become my No. 1. I was mainly a superstrat player(i.e. Jackson USA Soloist SL-2H, Ibanez Jem 7v)but this one just plays so well and sounds amazing, plus it's still handmade by the luthiers from Gibsons heyday, as opposed to an assembly line approach.

#2487520 - 04/23/13 03:32 PM Re: Les Paul [Re: leftyaxeman]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

How much do those babies run?

#2487521 - 04/23/13 03:37 PM Re: Les Paul [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
The Geoff Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Glasgow

#2487548 - 04/23/13 04:42 PM Re: Les Paul [Re: The Geoff]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
I just ran across a SWEET carved-top, double-cutaway, highly figured flame-top cherry-sunburst Ibanez in a 2nd-hand shop; very much like a Gibson Les Paul except for being a double-cut and the frets laying over the edge of the binding, instead of having the fret-ends covered by the little binding "nibs". A VERY nice guitar- had I the dough, I would have snapped it up right then and there to complement my Gibson flame-top; maybe strung it with lighter-gauge strings and a lower action...

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2487635 - 04/24/13 04:55 AM Re: Les Paul [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Bluesape Moderator Offline
10k Club

Loc: Ottawa
"maybe strung it with lighter-gauge strings and a lower action..."

Damn! cool Hell just froze over! laugh

#2487639 - 04/24/13 05:25 AM Re: Les Paul [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Fred_C Online   content
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Caevan O'Shite
I just ran across a SWEET carved-top, double-cutaway, highly figured flame-top cherry-sunburst Ibanez in a 2nd-hand shop; very much like a Gibson Les Paul except for being a double-cut and the frets laying over the edge of the binding, instead of having the fret-ends covered by the little binding "nibs". A VERY nice guitar- had I the dough, I would have snapped it up right then and there to complement my Gibson flame-top; maybe strung it with lighter-gauge strings and a lower action...

It is worthy of note that Ibanez has just reintroduced the "ARTIST" back into their line. A gorgeous solid body with LP vibe.

#2487659 - 04/24/13 07:01 AM Re: Les Paul [Re: Bluesape]
CEB Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

I saw a H140 on e-bay for less than $1000 but someone put EMGs in it.

Forget that. The headstock has be broken then repaired. I wouldn't want it after that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-Heritage-H-...#ht_1874wt_1129

Edited by CEB (04/24/13 07:04 AM)

#2487666 - 04/24/13 07:35 AM Re: Les Paul [Re: CEB]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
This "hand built" over "assembly line" crafted needs to be honed down.

Heritage is both. Most of the craftsmen at Heritage, old Gibson masters who refused to make the move down south, do use machines in most of their construction. These are usualy power tools, sanders, shapers and whatnot, but the guitar parts are handled by the worker. And the instruments are worked down an assembly line, but no computerized machinery or multiples are utlized. At least that's what I saw on a local TV station's profile some years back. It was a "special interest" segment hosted by WXYZ-TV's news anchor ERIC SMITH, an unlikely looking blues freak and close friend of Albert Collins. They, at the time, claimed to use the same materials and methods used by Gibson when they owned the Kalamazoo factory, with the only change being the name and headstock, of course. They ARE magnificent instruments.

I only mention all this because some people, when reading the words "hand made", might make the mistake of thinking each guitar is all made by one guy. Or rather that each worker in the factory makes a whole guitar by themselves.
Whitefang

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose