Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2486717 - 04/20/13 07:35 AM Tremolo arm size for an old Mexican Strat
Michele C. Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Milano
I bought a Stratocaster in the USA in 1991 (serial # is MN 1xxxxx).
My tremolo arm is loose and makes quite some noise when I play chords, so I am looking for a replacement.
I tried a couple of arms I bought for MIM Stratocaster, but they don't fit the threading, so I suspect it is not metric as it is supposed to be today for MIM Strats.
Any idea what size should I look for?

GP Island
#2486748 - 04/20/13 10:01 AM Re: Tremolo arm size for an old Mexican Strat [Re: Michele C.]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
http://www.allparts.com/fender-tremolo-arms <---- bottom of page shows a Fender Mexican Tremolo arm for $13 bucks. You can also try an American or a Squire. If your current one screws in, it may still be the best one to use. Maybe you can try a little Teflon tape but I would just live with the wobble as it should not be that noticeable once the volume is up on the amp... Hope this is helpful.

Edited by Larryz (04/20/13 10:02 AM)

#2486751 - 04/20/13 10:16 AM Re: Tremolo arm size for an old Mexican Strat [Re: Michele C.]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
First, get some Teflon (non-adhesive) tape such as used for plumbing, and by trial-and-error find just the right amount to wrap around the threaded-segment of the arm to snug it right up. Even if you replace the arm, it will probably be loose or soon become loose, and still need the teflon tape. Works great, used that for DECADES, occasionally needs to be re-applied but tha's alright, mama. It doesn't take very much tape. (Haahh! laugh I only just now saw Larry's suggestion above... ! thu )

If you really still need to figure out exactly and precisely what threads it used in the first place and replace it, there are thread-gauges that measure the threads by matching up to them; any good machine shop will have a number of 'em on hand. Maybe, hopefully, you've got a friend or a friend with a friend that is a machinist...

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2486881 - 04/21/13 07:56 AM Re: Tremolo arm size for an old Mexican Strat [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
The earliest MIM Fenders were made to completely different specs from anything else Fender made at the time. The guitar shop I worked in got a notice from Allparts, warning that none of their after-market Fender parts would fit the MIM Fenders. Current MIM Fenders can swap parts with most MIA Fenders. You may want to write to Fender's site, or look up the specs for your guitar.

Another thing to try. Some time back, a friend gave me a handful of small, blue springs, intended to drop into the trem arm hole, which added some tension to the trem arm. I've seen those springs for sale as Fender parts, although they're usually black.

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/10-aphorisms

#2486896 - 04/21/13 10:17 AM Re: Tremolo arm size for an old Mexican Strat [Re: Winston Psmith]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith
Another thing to try. Some time back, a friend gave me a handful of small, blue springs, intended to drop into the trem arm hole, which added some tension to the trem arm. I've seen those springs for sale as Fender parts, although they're usually black.

cool

I believe that through trial-and-error you will find that some of the little springs that come in various retractable pens will work for that, as well.

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2487263 - 04/22/13 03:40 PM Re: Tremolo arm size for an old Mexican Strat [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
gljohnson Offline

Loc: Colorado
Try Musician's Friend item #420519 for "Tremolo Arm Tension Springs". My Strat came with a note saying to put a piece of tape over the arms hole when you remove it to keep from losing the spring. Naturally I soon lost the spring. These should solve the problem for six bucks for 12. I used heat shrink tape on the arm until I found these.

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose