Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Viscount Physis K4 & K5 MIDI controllers

IMHO these two deserve a thread of their own. Serious MIDI controllers expandable with the Physis Piano engine :

http://www.physispiano.com/imgs/prods/big/7EB7F234CCA0C843B65B453F1345D344.jpg

http://www.physispiano.com/products.php?physis-piano-k4---k5

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

KEYBOARDS

- 88 Hammer-Action Weighted keys with Aftertouch (K4)

- 76 Hammer-Action Light Weighted keys with Aftertouch (K5)

CONNECTIONS

- 8 x Indipendent Midi Outputs

- 2 x Indipendent Midi Inputs

- 4 x Host USB Ports

- 1 x Device USB Port ( Windows XP ® / Windows 7 ® and Mac OS X ® compatible )

- 2 x Audio Outputs ( L/R unbalanced 1/4" jack )

- 1 x Headphones Output ( stereo 1/4" jack )

EXPANSIONS

- 2 x Sound Expantion Slots

CONTROLS - 1 x Audio Volume Slider

- 8 x lighted Zone Buttons

- 4 x lighted Bank Buttons of 27 full-assignable Controls

- 9 x full-360° Rotary Controls ( with 4 Banks for 36 pots in total )

- 9 x long-throw 45mm Slider Controls ( with 4 Banks for 36 pots in total )

- 9 x lighted Button Controls ( with 4 Banks for 36 switches in total )

- 3 x 180° Wheels ( 1 Wheel with 90° centered position )

- 8 x full-assignable potentiometric Pedal Inputs

- Fast entry Alpha-Numeric Keypad

- 5 x dedicated Sequencer Remote Buttons for Midi Machine Control Commands

- 1 x dedicated Transpose Button for fast changes of key

- 4.3" Multicolor Graphic LCD Display (480*272 dots)

MEMORY

- 128 full-programmable Performances

- 4 Indipendent Scenes for each Performance

- 8 Midi Zones + 4 Controller Banks for each Scene

- Selectable/Editable Velocity Curves + Velocity Ranges and Key Ranges for each Zone

DIMENSIONS (WxDxH)

K4: 50.7"x14.0"x5.3" 1287x355x134 mm

K5: 44,1"x14.0"x5.3" 1120x355x134 mm

WEIGHT

K4: 43 lbs 19,8 Kg

K5: 32 lbs 14,8 Kg

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks exciting, especially the lightweight K5 model. I could see that floating many a boat. Is pricing available? Is this action used on other existing products ?( sorry, being a bit lazy not googling this, but it's 4am and I should sleep here)

We are all slave's to our brain chemistry!

IMHO these two deserve a thread of their own. Serious MIDI controllers expandable with the Physis Piano engine :

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

KEYBOARDS

- 88 Hammer-Action Weighted keys with Aftertouch (K4)

- 76 Hammer-Action Light Weighted keys with Aftertouch (K5)

CONNECTIONS

- 8 x Indipendent Midi Outputs

- 2 x Indipendent Midi Inputs

- 4 x Host USB Ports

- 1 x Device USB Port ( Windows XP ® / Windows 7 ® and Mac OS X ® compatible )

- 2 x Audio Outputs ( L/R unbalanced 1/4" jack )

- 1 x Headphones Output ( stereo 1/4" jack )

EXPANSIONS

- 2 x Sound Expantion Slots

CONTROLS - 1 x Audio Volume Slider

- 8 x lighted Zone Buttons

- 4 x lighted Bank Buttons of 27 full-assignable Controls

- 9 x full-360° Rotary Controls ( with 4 Banks for 36 pots in total )

- 9 x long-throw 45mm Slider Controls ( with 4 Banks for 36 pots in total )

- 9 x lighted Button Controls ( with 4 Banks for 36 switches in total )

- 3 x 180° Wheels ( 1 Wheel with 90° centered position )

- 8 x full-assignable potentiometric Pedal Inputs

- Fast entry Alpha-Numeric Keypad

- 5 x dedicated Sequencer Remote Buttons for Midi Machine Control Commands

- 1 x dedicated Transpose Button for fast changes of key

- 4.3" Multicolor Graphic LCD Display (480*272 dots)

MEMORY

- 128 full-programmable Performances

- 4 Indipendent Scenes for each Performance

- 8 Midi Zones + 4 Controller Banks for each Scene

- Selectable/Editable Velocity Curves + Velocity Ranges and Key Ranges for each Zone

DIMENSIONS (WxDxH)

K4: 50.7"x14.0"x5.3" 1287x355x134 mm

K5: 44,1"x14.0"x5.3" 1120x355x134 mm

WEIGHT

K4: 43 lbs 19,8 Kg

K5: 32 lbs 14,8 Kg

Mr. Tobbe,- what a find !

I didn´t trust my eyes, then visited the website and it´s real,- as is the Physis Piano H3 76 keys model.

Now we get a formerly Oberheim-Viscount joint venture MC3000 masterkeyboard in a new look and designed and build w/ modern parts/technology (I hope !).

I´ve never expected someone will come up w/ such a controller again ´til the end of my life,- but this announcement makes my day.

Now,- reading the specs,- I´d wish it had not 8 dedicated physical MIDI outs but MIDI over LAN RJ45 port as the ice on the cake and in addition to the 4 USB ports,- but we cannot have it all.

I appreciate there´s the controller as a single product and the option to decide which sound engine/module to trigger in future,- may it be the Physis Piano options (I see 2 expansion slots) or 3rd party modules.

It looks great and is black ...

I like !

Let´s hope it works perfect and the action feels excellent and offers extremely low latency.

88 and 76 note relative lightweight versions w/ 3 wheels on top left,- seems they payed attention to musicians demands.

A.C.

Is this action used on other existing products ?( sorry, being a bit lazy not googling this, but it's 4am and I should sleep here)

I don´t think you´d find in depth info by googling actually,- it´s all too new.

I expect it to be the Fatar TP40GH WOOD, TP40GH for 88 note versions and possibly a lighter one in the Physis Piano H3 and the 76-note masterkeyboard controller,- TP100LR eventually.

As I understood from their Physis Piano models,- they probably optimise these actions like other manufacturers do too.

A.C.

I don't expect it to have the TP40 GH Wood action - the Physis piano with wooden keys weighs a lot more, the 88 key K4 probably has the standard TP40 keyboard.

About the 76 key version it is probably the TP100LR keybed. This could be a winner for the gigging musician.

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

I don't expect it to have the TP40 GH Wood action - the Physis piano with wooden keys weighs a lot more, the 88 key K4 probably has the standard TP40 keyboard.

About the 76 key version it is probably the TP100LR keybed. This could be a winner for the gigging musician.

Well, it´s speculation anyway and there are 4 different TP40 actions on the market.

http://www.fatar.com/pages/TP_40_GH_ES.htm

Anyway,- well see,- but they are italians and I doubt they manufacture their own action.

Even the austrian Lachnit boutique piano controller uses TP40GH WOOD in a modified version.

I don´t care if it plays well, you know.

I think this beast is the most surprising highlight of the Messe.

I wonder what they have in mind w/ the 2nd expansion slot,- maybe audio interface (???).

A.C.

Now we get a formerly Oberheim-Viscount joint venture MC3000 masterkeyboard in a new look and designed and build w/ modern parts/technology (I hope !).

I´ve never expected someone will come up w/ such a controller again ´til the end of my life,- but this announcement makes my day.

A.C.

I had the very same thought - that it looks like the next gen MC3000. I just hope it's a bit more reliable and that parts are available when needed. I remember trying to get updated PROMS for my MC3000 and it was tough although I eventually got them. The MC3000 was probably the UGLIEST board I ever owned but at the time it was the most comprehensive controller out there. It will be interesting to see the price on this as I believe it's only competition from a functional controller stand point is the PC3X.

This does look nice.

I'd love to see a version of this 76 with an organ-style action instead of hammer.

I fear you won´t.

I´d take the K5 76-light-weighted keys version and replace my Yamaha KX76,- use PC361 as synth action and put the 76 light weigted keys on top of my MK-80 which is a heavy weighted 88-keys action.

Then midi PC361 and MK80 into K5´s 2 MIDI INs and 2 of the 8 MIDI Outs and control rack modules via the other 6 MIDI Outs and Computer/software via USB.

A perfect rig for me.

These Physis Piano K4 & K5 controllers for me are the 1st professional controller solution since decades,- can´t wait for the release.

When I want an organ,- I´d buy a 2-manual clone, nothing else.

Single manual clones are for sissies ... :D:facepalm:

A.C.

Before we get too over-excited, have any of the Physis products actually hit the shops yet?

Yes, they are available in germany from several dealers incl. Thomann and Musicstore.

Rules for Physis Piano H1 & H2.

H3 will be available in september.

The MIDI controllers eventually too though.

Here´s the list from Physis Piano website:

availablility_countries

I expect more countries follow after Musikmesse.

A.C.

Just wow, this is pretty unbelieveable... looks great in just about every way!

I do hope their OS is solid and easy to navigate, and it is affordable for "the rest of us".

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

Looks very nice.... And did I mention 9 faders? Should be a requirement for any keyboard calling itself a "controller".

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Eight DIN-midi output jacks? In this day & age? Weird, but what do I know.

I'm guessing it's the same pwb from the MC3000. Already designed = big cost savings. Again - just guessing.

I doubt.

Except the 3 wheels, 8 MIDI Outs/2MIDI Ins and footswitch/pedal connectors of the MC3000,- the K4 & K5 surfaces are much more crowded w/ sliders, rotaries and buttons.

MC3000 had only 8 sliders,- not 9,- and there were no rotaries at all,- K4 & 5 have 9.

There are also much more push-buttons on the new models

See here ...

SOS

Then you have the USB-to-host and USB-device ports.

I also doubt they use the same old processor for masterkeyboard today when engineering a physical modelling piano w/ 6 TI dual core processors and offering expansion slots for the physical model piano module and another one we don´t know what it will house in future.

I expect they use all their MIDI code they did for the Oberheim Viscount Joint Venture MC series and improved it.

It´s possibly some side-product from developing the Physis Piano keyboard.

I was irritated by the 8 physical MIDI ports too and would prefer RJ45/Cat5 MIDI over LAN in addition to USB,- but OTOH they might ignore it for the time being because not many products out there use that technology up to now.

Well, I´m open for any technology progress,- companies learn.

See what big steps forward Casio did the last years and in the pro gear market.

A.C.

Before we get too over-excited, have any of the Physis products actually hit the shops yet?

Yes, they are available in germany from several dealers incl. Thomann and Musicstore.

Rules for Physis Piano H1 & H2.

H3 will be available in september.

The MIDI controllers eventually too though.

Here´s the list from Physis Piano website:

availablility_countries

I expect more countries follow after Musikmesse.

A.C.

Well what are you waiting for! Order one immediately and report back! ;)

Moe

---

Yes, I've played a Physis H1. One of the local stores have one on display. It's quite a nice piano! :thu:

Eight DIN-midi output jacks? In this day & age? Weird, but what do I know.

I'm guessing it's the same pwb from the MC3000. Already designed = big cost savings. Again - just guessing.

I doubt.

Except the 3 wheels, 8 MIDI Outs/2MIDI Ins and footswitch/pedal connectors of the MC3000,- the K4 & K5 surfaces are much more crowded w/ sliders, rotaries and buttons.

I was assuming a separate pwb for the 8 midi outs/ins only :idk . I do agree much of the midi code has got to be legacy software. Why rewrite it?

Well what are you waiting for! Order one immediately and report back! ;)

Please re-read.

Only the Pianos H1 and H2 are available NOW.

A.C.

Yes, I understood that. I was telling you to buy the pianos now, to report on the action. Then buy the controller when it becomes available. ;)

Moe

---

Extra midi outs are great, but I agree that 8 separate physical outs seems rather excessive for this day and age. That is a significant amount of circuit board and back panel real estate, and I would think an unnecessary expense unless yes, they perhaps had a supply of these already.

Personally I think 4 would be plenty.

I had posted in another thread about using a multi-pin jack to obtain extra midi in and outs where circuit board and back panel real estate is tight. If they do a 61 key version, maybe they will consider that option. As far as I know midi still only uses 3 of the 5 pins on a normal din jack. Isn't that still correct?

Why did they never standardize 9V DC on the other 2 pins on the midi-in on synth modules to power any midi controller attached to it? Goodbye external power supplies.

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

Yes, I understood that. I was telling you to buy the pianos now, to report on the action. Then buy the controller when it becomes available. ;)

Unfortunately, I don´t master the task of being guinea pig very well.

:D

A.C.

I'd love to see a version of this 76 with an organ-style action instead of hammer.

I fear you won´t.

Probably not. But I like my 88 to be as shallow in depth as possible, and I like aftertouch to be on my unweighted board (which I want to be at least 73 keys). So putting an unweighted version of this over a slab style 88 would be ideal for me.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Even the K5 - with the 76 light weighted, hammer action - is a long welcome and quite overdue M.I. offering. Finally, after a decade + of DAW focused 25's to 61's we get something that closely resembles an A-70 / Novation hybrid.

Would've jumped on this a few years back - especially when I had my pre industrial revolution, pieced-together Receptor, and EX5R. But with a Stage 76 and JP50 being my interchangeable, 2nd tier instruments, the K5 is not something needed right now. But for someone using a computer / modules live and/or studio, the K4 / K5 may be just the ticket. If I was using an Integra7, or current Receptor, one of these would be on my short list. They both look to be winners :thu:

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

As far as I know midi still only uses 3 of the 5 pins on a normal din jack. Isn't that still correct?

Why did they never standardize 9V DC on the other 2 pins on the midi-in on synth modules to power any midi controller attached to it? Goodbye external power supplies.

Backward compatibility issues with older gear that (say) connected the other two pins to ground? (Hypothetical example - I don't know of any gear that does this). The point is that if you update the MIDI spec in this way you potentially make older gear non-standard.

I would vote for using class-compliant USB MIDI the standard. Many controllers USB device capability - why not add USB host capability to keyboards and controllers? (The Kronos can do this today).

Regards, Mike.

Whoa. That's pretty much the ideal MIDI controller I have pictured in my head. Being able to switch among banks of controllers? Perfect.

And look... hand grips on the sides! :)

Depending on how robust the software is, I would consider selling my PC3 for this. For me that's saying a lot.

I'm assuming this will be painfully expensive.

I make software noises.

The standard is 5V, and it is provided on the MIDI out (so devices can receive power on the MIDI in). But it's a "semi-standard," in that it is not required that a MIDI out provide voltage... but if it does, it sends 5 volts hot on pin 4. This is, in fact, the most common way to power MIDI Solutions boxes. (Amperage is pretty low, though, so there is a limit to what can be powered.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)