Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2484792 - 04/12/13 04:12 AM Hey Fellow Pedal Pushers, Stomp Boxers, & Effect Employers
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
New Boss pedal. What do y'all think?

GP Island
#2484819 - 04/12/13 07:17 AM Re: Hey Fellow Pedal Pushers, Stomp Boxers, & Effect Employers [Re: picker]
Danzilla Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Interesting. With his initial tone, which is only slightly overdriven, it sounds good. Not as into it with the more distortion added; and wish he could have had a truly clean setting used, too. I'll bet with a clean set up, and that modulation/detune upped a bit, it could do some nice Steve Rothery tones.

#2484820 - 04/12/13 07:19 AM Re: Hey Fellow Pedal Pushers, Stomp Boxers, & Effect Employers [Re: picker]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Hm, I'd need to get one underfoot, to really check it out. I also tend to try out new effects through a clean amp, so I can hear what the pedal is doing, on its own. This one sounds a lot like the Organizer, IMHO.

Earthquaker Devices Organizer.

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/figures-of-speech

#2484865 - 04/12/13 08:45 AM Re: Hey Fellow Pedal Pushers, Stomp Boxers, & Effect Employers [Re: Winston Psmith]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Cool. I'd like to hear it (and that EqD Organizer, WP) played through a cleaner amp setting, as well, and also feeding a Leslie/rotary sim or even a real-live Leslie...

I get similar enough fauxe-organ sounds feeding a Foxrox Octron (octave-up AND octave-down fuzzes, plus Direct/clean) into a Boss RT-20 'Rotary Ensemble' Leslie-sim pedal, enhanced by a large dose of harmonic-overtones and sustain from feedback courtesy of my Mainiac Music Sustainiac 'Model C'.

All of the above is often further kicked in the B3 by another, clean octave-down pitch-shift via my DigiTech GNX4 digital-modeler/multi-effects, resulting in two octaves-down, which feeds PA mains and monitors.

Now, the Octron doesn't have the warble and chirp of the Boss MO-2, Earthquake Devices Organizer, or EH POG line (or the flinty feel and tone I hear at some settings from the latter two); I get all of my swirl and sweep from the Boss RT-20. The Octron is, essentially, a high-end version of both a vintage fOXX tONE mACHINE and a vintage Mutron Octave Divider in one pedal, both fully blendable with a buffered/clean Direct signal.

I use all that, for example, to cop Stevie Winwood's organ parts in "Gimme Some Lovin'", switching between the slow and fast speeds of the RT-20's Leslie impersonation to great effect!

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2484872 - 04/12/13 08:56 AM Re: Hey Fellow Pedal Pushers, Stomp Boxers, & Effect Employers [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Larryz Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
Sounds like you could also get some cool 12 string sounds out of it...

#2485023 - 04/12/13 03:43 PM Re: Hey Fellow Pedal Pushers, Stomp Boxers, & Effect Employers [Re: Larryz]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
I's like to hear a bass through it.

#2485046 - 04/12/13 07:21 PM Re: Hey Fellow Pedal Pushers, Stomp Boxers, & Effect Employers [Re: picker]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Not for me at all. I am from the school of; the less the better, so I just use reverb and one or two tube overdrive stomps. This pedal although nice does not change my preferences.

#2485098 - 04/13/13 07:18 AM Re: Hey Fellow Pedal Pushers, Stomp Boxers, & Effect Employers [Re: picker]
H-A Forgiven Offline

I think it could be nice for some people, but I wouldn't use it too often myself.. just not into that kind of sound.

#2485105 - 04/13/13 08:18 AM Re: Hey Fellow Pedal Pushers, Stomp Boxers, & Effect Employers [Re: H-A Forgiven]
Terrell Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Austin, TX
It sounds like a tube drive in the AXE FX2 when you use a Recto Tube as the tube profile...

#2485129 - 04/13/13 09:44 AM Re: Hey Fellow Pedal Pushers, Stomp Boxers, & Effect Employers [Re: Terrell]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
I could see it more to add some gravitas rather than as an effect, seems to fatten things up nicely but ya, I`d have to try it myself. Maybe they`ll have it at the music faire this fall.

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2485133 - 04/13/13 09:52 AM Re: Hey Fellow Pedal Pushers, Stomp Boxers, & Effect Employers [Re: picker]
Scott Fraser Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: picker
New Boss pedal. What do y'all think?

Some of it I really like, when dialed way back. At more effect-y settings it has much of the same synthy, buzzy effect I remember (and dislike) from my Mutron Octave Divider. Kind of like a lot of effects, when subtle it's cool, but you can go into ugly-land pretty easily if overdone. It also seems like this covers pretty much the same territory as the EH Pog, maybe more subtle, & with less user control of the various octaves.

#2485154 - 04/13/13 10:49 AM Re: Hey Fellow Pedal Pushers, Stomp Boxers, & Effect Employers [Re: Scott Fraser]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Originally Posted By: Scott Fraser
At more effect-y settings it has much of the same synthy, buzzy effect I remember (and dislike) from my Mutron Octave Divider.

Was that the one that said "Octive" on it? IIRC, they had a switch that activated a Ring Mod designed after the Dan Armstrong Green Ringer.

Funny, I liked the nastier sounds more than the subtle ones. I agree that this is Boss' answer to the POG & Organizer. I suspect that some flexibility was lost in trying to configure the controls for the standard Boss box with 4 knobs. Boss had tried to market a Polyphonic Octave pedal some time back, but it was a $200+ twin pedal that required a GK-2 pup to drive the thing. Here's a link, if anyone is curious.

OC-20g Poly Octave pedal.

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/figures-of-speech

#2485156 - 04/13/13 10:51 AM Re: Hey Fellow Pedal Pushers, Stomp Boxers, & Effect Employers [Re: Scott Fraser]
Larryz Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
+1 on the Octave Divider. I have one in the box somewhere and this pedal brought back memories. I have no need for this pedal although I can hear some uses I might put it to. Like DBM, I'm more of a reverb only guy with maybe some comp, delay and tremolo, I can even do without overdrive these days when I'm playing more along the acoustic and jazz lines [pun intended]...

#2485159 - 04/13/13 11:02 AM Re: Hey Fellow Pedal Pushers, Stomp Boxers, & Effect Employers [Re: Winston Psmith]
Scott Fraser Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith
Originally Posted By: Scott Fraser
At more effect-y settings it has much of the same synthy, buzzy effect I remember (and dislike) from my Mutron Octave Divider.

Was that the one that said "Octive" on it? IIRC, they had a switch that activated a Ring Mod designed after the Dan Armstrong Green Ringer.

On mine it's spelled correctly. But yeah, has the Ringer switch, as well as a Stabilize switch, which IIRC fuzzes the dry signal in order to lock onto the signal better. If that doesn't seem to make sense, what an analog octave divider is doing is counting every other cycle of a square wave, thus outputting a half-frequency square wave. The squarer the input, i.e. fuzzier, the better the tracking. The resulting octave thus is pretty fuzzy, which I never liked as much as an actual digital harmonizer for octave down stuff. And it's obviously monophonic, which is a serious limitation for guitar.

Quote:
Funny, I liked the nastier sounds more than the subtle ones. I agree that this is Boss' answer to the POG & Organizer. I suspect that some flexibility was lost in trying to configure the controls for the standard Boss box with 4 knobs. Boss had tried to market a Polyphonic Octave pedal some time back, but it was a $200+ twin pedal that required a GK-2 pup to drive the thing. Here's a link, if anyone is curious.
OC-20g Poly Octave pedal.

Never saw that one before. I'm still seeing the Pog 2 as the octave divider of choice, though I haven't had my hands on one yet.

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose