Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2484019 - 04/09/13 09:26 AM Practice tips!
Blank731 Offline

I recently made a video for youtube with my top 5 practice tips and figured I'd share. Also, I'm interested in more tips if anyone has them.

GP Island
#2484022 - 04/09/13 09:39 AM Re: Practice tips! [Re: Blank731]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Not too bad, but how about this:

Standard practice "times" have been traditionally at least an hour a day. If you have the time, it can be more. I have a friend who claimed much of life passed him by with his practicing about 12 hours each day. You CAN overdo it.

Practice need not always be about any specific pieces or riffs. Just noodling around to keep the fingers limber and callouses hard can lead to some surprising discoveries.

Practicing a song you LIKE with a "lot of chords" isn't too bad of an idea. You might amend that segment of your video to include that. It does help if the multi-chord song is one the player likes, and not everyone (me, to be specific) thinks "Hotel California" is all that great.

Just sayin'
Whitefang

Edited by whitefang (04/09/13 09:41 AM)

#2485124 - 04/13/13 09:22 AM Re: Practice tips! [Re: Blank731]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
Liked it, especially the comment about practice frequency-I agree.
One of my bandmates had a nice way of expressing practice progress, I think you touched on it but here`s another way of looking at it-most people have a linear view of getting better-in other words, work on something until you know it, the something should be just beyond where you are but not crazy difficult. Then go up a step. My bandmate disagreed, he said you should divide your practice between mastering the basics-which of course will also progress as you get better-and getting the most difficult thing you can get your hands on. So when you say `songs with a lot of chords` don`t think Hotel California. Think Kid Charlemagne. Think Roundabout-yeah they will give you a headache at first but, as you progress at both ends eventually you will meet in the middle and then even super difficult stuff will already be under your belt. Then you get that `aha` moment-so THAT`s what that`s about.

Way back when we liked to jam on `Be Happy` by Mahavishnu Orchestra-it`s just a repeating pattern but fiendishly difficult especially when you`re still working on memorizing the fretboard.

Edited by skipclone 1 (04/13/13 09:28 AM)

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2485158 - 04/13/13 11:00 AM Re: Practice tips! [Re: skipclone 1]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
Going back to the basics is always a good thing to put into your solo practice sessions. I try to recognize that it is all just one big circle. So I lay aside some time for my set list cover tunes as I have senior moments (ie. memory problems and still refuse the sheets and teleprompters, Ipads, etc.) and need the memory practice, then I shift in to a week or so of learning new jazz chord concepts/changes as I need them for chord leads when playing solo, then I shift in to theory and intervals for understanding the chord stuff? sometimes I do this simultaneously a little bit of this an a little bit of that.

+1 on Fangs noodling. Just about every time I sit down to practice or play at home, I just noodle around and see what comes out with my old play by rote stuff. If I hear something cool, I just add to it and forget all the other stuff I mentioned above. If not, I start trying to learn again...haphazard, but true.

#2485344 - 04/14/13 09:00 AM Re: Practice tips! [Re: whitefang]
Guitarzan Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: whitefang
Not too bad, but how about this:

Standard practice "times" have been traditionally at least an hour a day. If you have the time, it can be more. I have a friend who claimed much of life passed him by with his practicing about 12 hours each day. You CAN overdo it.

Practice need not always be about any specific pieces or riffs. Just noodling around to keep the fingers limber and callouses hard can lead to some surprising discoveries.

Practicing a song you LIKE with a "lot of chords" isn't too bad of an idea. You might amend that segment of your video to include that. It does help if the multi-chord song is one the player likes, and not everyone (me, to be specific) thinks "Hotel California" is all that great.

Just sayin'
Whitefang

maybe so but you can shake it up, i like taking songs like Hotel California and playing the chords by tapping arpeggios.
finger exercises can wake up your hands. do a four fret pattern ( first finger first fret, second on second fret etc) from low E to high E and shift a fret and go from high to low, shift and continue. now do it as trplets. keeping a finger per fret, then 1,3,2,4 etc.
also figure things out not written on guitar.

rock it, i will

#2491460 - 05/07/13 10:16 PM Re: Practice tips! [Re: Guitarzan]
Blank731 Offline

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys. I realize that not everyone likes Hotel California and that these tips aren't an end all be all to practice. This was really aimed at people who have no clue what they should be practicing. I picked up the principles in the video throughout my years as an instrumental music student at the creative and performing arts high school here in Philly. I spent half my day there playing music and this was my method for practice in a nutshell.

#2491468 - 05/08/13 01:21 AM Re: Practice tips! [Re: Blank731]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Sometimes, playing a song you know well in a different way can open up your musical skillset.

If you know "Hotel California" well as written, try playing it with a Latin style. Or do what Victor Borge did- turn the sheet music upside-down and play what you see then!

A jazz pianist buddy of mine and I were discussing the jazz masterpiece, "Take Five" while he was sitting at my Mom's piano. If you don't know it, it is famous for being written in 5/4, yet still accessible to the average joe. (He started playing it from memory.)

I mentioned how someone had covered it in 4/4, and remarked how dull it had sounded in that time signature. (He started playing it in 4/4) I opined that if you were going to take you were going to take a composition like that and do it in a different time signature, "at least do it in something more unusual than 4/4, like 3/4."

(He started playing it in 3/4.)

"Or 6/4..."

(He changed to playing in 6/4.)

"...or 7/4."

(He started playing in 7/4.)

shocked

To do something like that on the fly, you have to be skilled, yes, but you also have to be very familiar with the piece.

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (05/08/13 01:23 AM)

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2491470 - 05/08/13 02:42 AM Re: Practice tips! [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Fred_C Offline
Gold Member

Loc: PA
Hey Danny,

Wow! That's DEEP! An interesting observation, my friend.

As a matter of fact I am just starting to learn a chord melody solo of Sway in Bossa Nova rhythm. As I'm working through it, it seems to me that it would work as a Tango as well. I really dig Tango music. Those latin rhythms really get into your head.

P.S. In addition to being a gifted pianist, wasn't Victor Borge funny! He had a wonderful sense of humor.

#2491539 - 05/08/13 07:41 AM Re: Practice tips! [Re: Fred_C]
CEB Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Funny thing is I can tell you dogmatically how you should practice piano. Not that it is truly the end all be all method but more that I became fully indoctrinated to the ways I was taught by my teachers.

But guitar, I have no idea. I studied 4 years of Classical which was mostly etudes and drills and learning how to read music for guitar(learning the fretboard) through pieces. I didn't spend any time on theory because of piano and brass background.

Other than developing the picking hand that crossed over into my hybrid country picking Classical Guitar didn't make much an impact on my guitar play. My first guitar teacher taught me by though learning technique through rock songs. The rest was just winging it on my own and crossing over the theory knowledge I gained from piano studies.

I never really learned how to practice guitar. I guess I would would split it between technical work, repertoirie, and ear training based on the current estimation of my needs.

Edited by CEB (05/08/13 07:45 AM)

#2491542 - 05/08/13 07:49 AM Re: Practice tips! [Re: Fred_C]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Originally Posted By: Fred_C
Hey Danny,

Wow! That's DEEP! An interesting observation, my friend.

As a matter of fact I am just starting to learn a chord melody solo of Sway in Bossa Nova rhythm. As I'm working through it, it seems to me that it would work as a Tango as well. I really dig Tango music. Those latin rhythms really get into your head.

P.S. In addition to being a gifted pianist, wasn't Victor Borge funny! He had a wonderful sense of humor.

1) Victor Borge: criminally underrated comedic talent

2) if you like Tango, check out Astor Piazolla's work- especially as done by Kronos Quartet.

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2491566 - 05/08/13 08:57 AM Re: Practice tips! [Re: Guitarzan]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...

maybe so but you can shake it up, i like taking songs like Hotel California and playing the chords by tapping arpeggios.
finger exercises can wake up your hands. do a four fret pattern ( first finger first fret, second on second fret etc) from low E to high E and shift a fret and go from high to low, shift and continue. now do it as trplets. keeping a finger per fret, then 1,3,2,4 etc.
also figure things out not written on guitar. [/quote]

I sort of do that myself. Mostly to help improve speed and accuracy. I go "up" the fretboard so far, then go back "down" the way I came. Sometimes, starting on the 6th string, I move up a fret when the first four are played. For example, I start on the first fret of the 6th, then move up to start on the SECOND fret on the 5th and so on.
Whitefang

Edited by whitefang (05/08/13 08:58 AM)

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose