Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2483623 - 04/07/13 09:46 PM Going to a Satriani clinic this week :)
harvey Online   content
Gold Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Just got the opportunity to go to a Satriani clinic this week for free, in return for helping with some ushering. Saw him live in Sydney, oh, 24 years ago....

http://stjambience.wordpress.com/

GP Island
#2483625 - 04/07/13 09:54 PM Re: Going to a Satriani clinic this week :) [Re: harvey]
harvey Online   content
Gold Member

ps very excited

#2483634 - 04/08/13 01:07 AM Re: Going to a Satriani clinic this week :) [Re: harvey]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
I bet you're looking at your guitars, wondering which to bring, aren't you?

Have a good time, you lucky cuss!

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2483699 - 04/08/13 09:30 AM Re: Going to a Satriani clinic this week :) [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
Congrats! Hope you learn some new tricks and have loads of fun!

#2483868 - 04/08/13 05:01 PM Re: Going to a Satriani clinic this week :) [Re: Larryz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Cool have a great time, and learn some stuff......

#2483887 - 04/08/13 07:22 PM Re: Going to a Satriani clinic this week :) [Re: desertbluesman]
Minte Offline

Loc: Madison
That sounds like a really excellent time.

#2483906 - 04/08/13 09:29 PM Re: Going to a Satriani clinic this week :) [Re: Minte]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
That's really frickin' fantastic, Harvey! cool

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2483923 - 04/08/13 10:51 PM Re: Going to a Satriani clinic this week :) [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Terrell Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Austin, TX
That's going to be an eye opener! I'm jealous... :-)

Make the most of it!!!

#2484465 - 04/10/13 10:39 PM Re: Going to a Satriani clinic this week :) [Re: Terrell]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
Yeah totally-I would say record it but you`ll probably be too busy having a blast.

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2484507 - 04/11/13 05:54 AM Re: Going to a Satriani clinic this week :) [Re: skipclone 1]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Saw the photos on FB! Very cool!

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/10-aphorisms

#2484535 - 04/11/13 08:26 AM Re: Going to a Satriani clinic this week :) [Re: Winston Psmith]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
He came to KC and did a clinic a few years back. It was cool enough. He opened by playing a few of his tunes to tracks, and then mostly answered questions, and finally signed autographs. I can't say he taught a lot of tricks or technique. But maybe it wasn't that sort of crowd. He was a nice guy, very high energy without seeming antsy or hyped up. I enjoyed the clinic, hope you do to.

#2485015 - 04/12/13 02:56 PM Re: Going to a Satriani clinic this week :) [Re: picker]
harvey Online   content
Gold Member

Yup...it was a great experience!

The clinic sounded similar to the one you described, Picker, in that he didn't demonstrate particular techniques but played through a bunch of songs and talked about them in broad terms. For example when he played "always with me..." He talked about the detail that went into phrasing, pick attack etc. He said he had a hard time recording it...hard to believe!

He must have played about 8 or 9 songs with tracks. It was very cool to see him go at it up close (I was in the second row). Very inspiring.

Gear was very simple...he brought out two of his own guitars - the newer 24 fret JS models. I talked to the tech guy-an Aussie guy, not his usual tech- who said they organised a JS signature Marshall and JS Vox pedals for the tour. Must be good to have gear designed for and by you spread throughout the world.

The pedal board was super simple, two Vox JS delays and a Vox JS wah. The Marshall provided the gain. I'm pretty sure he left the delays on all night and didn't change the settings at all. He got heaps of variety though just with his right hand technique, pickup selection, working the guitars volume etc.

As I mentioned, I got to go for free because I was 'working' there. The clinic cost $80 and I doubt I would have sprung for it otherwise. I had two jobs. First I had to hand stuff out to people as they entered. No worries.

Second job, could I pass Joe marker pens during the meet and greet. Sure, I could do that. This was fun and kinda surreal. Not that I was starstruck, but just seeing him up close and talking to his fans (some of whom were freaking out!) was cool. He was very friendly and polite to everyone, very chilled. Man, lots of Ibanez guitars were signed! He always asked where on the guitar they would like them signed, quite thoughtful. A couple of hundred people hung around and he met all of them.

I'd look ahead..black guitar, give Joe the silver marker. White guitar, black marker. White vox pedal with blue knobs...blue marker. Blue guitar with gold hardware...yep, gold marker. I'm pretty sure I'll get called for the next G3 tour wink

#2485017 - 04/12/13 03:22 PM Re: Going to a Satriani clinic this week :) [Re: harvey]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Workin' the pens like a pro, bro!

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2485049 - 04/12/13 08:09 PM Re: Going to a Satriani clinic this week :) [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
Very cool report! thanks! cool

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose