Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2483412 - 04/06/13 03:38 PM Guitar Poser,,,um, I mean Player..
leftyaxeman Offline

Loc: just south of the swamps
Dear Editor Boy and other editors, Since the name of your magazine is Guitar Player, can you possibly, maybe, kinda, sorta put the Star Cover boys on the cover actually playing the damn guitar instead of posing with it, or maybe just call the mag Guitar Poser instead. I've been a reader of your mag since '77 and with the cover boy, get this, actually playing the damn guitar, it seems to convey more excitement, and really gets across, and brings to life the name of the magazine. Or just call it Guitar Poser. End rant. Thanks for your time, hope you can take some good natured ribbing. Oh BTW, did I mention I'd like to see the cover subjects, umm, actually playing? Thanks again. All the best, Pete

As opposed to this: Lame.

Edited by leftyaxeman (04/06/13 03:46 PM)

#2564823 - 01/24/14 05:22 AM Re: Guitar Poser,,,um, I mean Player.. [Re: leftyaxeman]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
It was always fun to try to figure out just what chord some players on the covers and in other photos within the pages were fingering on their guitars... smile

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2564867 - 01/24/14 06:53 AM Re: Guitar Poser,,,um, I mean Player.. [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
I liked the series in that last photo, where we got a really good look at somebody's main axe, on the top of the front cover. In a lot of those early 'action' shots, you're looking over someone's shoulder, as they're turned away from you, like that shot of Jeff Beck.

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/regrets-only

#2587302 - 04/07/14 01:34 PM Re: Guitar Poser,,,um, I mean Player.. [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
I myself don't get what the actual point of this missive is.
What's this cat upset abt exactly

As for this...
Originally Posted By: Caevan O'Shite
It was always fun to try to figure out just what chord some players on the covers and in other photos within the pages were fingering on their guitars... smile

There once was a series of ads (70s/80s ?) on the back cover w/ Al diMiola fingering a v.difficult chord, something like what top sectret Canadian guitarist Matt Henderson's doing on pg. 59 of the April 2014 issue [index on 1st string, second finger on 2nd string 2 frets higher 3rd finer on 3rd string, etc]. Never quite figured the naeme for that one.

#2605329 - 06/20/14 03:08 PM Re: Guitar Poser,,,um, I mean Player.. [Re: d]
leftyaxeman Offline

Loc: just south of the swamps
Lol, cat is not upset about anything.
Readers Digest short version: Using tongue-firmly-in-cheek-humor in my rant, I wish my favorite guitar mag named Guitar Player, actually returned to the early days where the cover subject was playing & not posing. See covers above. All apologies to anyone offended, it was all in fun, not serious.