Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2482875 - 04/04/13 09:14 AM NGD: Surrender to the darkness!
Dannyalcatraz Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
My latest acquisition, seen here in some proper protection:

And inside:

Keen-eyed observers will have noticed hat's not a Gretsch! Its a...what is it?

Its a Malden Bad Karma. Look at it...the curve of the carve...

Its black...everywhere.

The nitty-gritty:

The ergonomics are very nice, and even with the carve, this guitar has a substantial feel to it. When I contacted Malden to complete my purchase, they asked me if I wanted a heavier one or a lighter one, and I asked for more mass. This seems to have more sustain than any other axe I own except the Sustainer equipped Fernandes Elite. (Wishful thinking? Who cares!)

The finish is matte- a first for me- so it doesn't really show off its curves in pictures like a glossier guitar. But in person, it looks and feels so nice. That finish also brings a different kind of attitude to the party- it's kind of like holding a stealth fighter in my hands.

The pickups are fairly hot. If anything, they remind me most of my Fernandes Elite purchased back in October 2012- born to rock. Nifty feature- the pickups are individually coil-tapped, so it has surprising tonal variety. The funny thing is, despite the aggression of these HBs, they sound more like singlecoils when tapped than any other tapped HBs I own. Whether that is a testimony to the skill of the pickup maker or the guy who wired the guitar up is a mystery to me, but kudos.

My one complaint so far is that the witch-hat knobs seem a little on the slick side, which makes actually using those coil-taps a little tricky sometimes. Definitely not going to be doing that on the fly.

Note: anyone looking to get a Malden Karama- or, as I did, the limited edition Bad Karma- should be forewarned. Malden had a disagreement with the company that was doing the cases for this guitar, so finding a HSC may be a challenge. The Karma family is a little bit broader in the body than most LPs, so they simply don't fit in a lot of the cases made for LPs. Mine is currently in a case made for a slightly deeper body guitar- possibly a semihollow- so I have to fold the strap underneath the body to make it sit level within the case. Ultimately, I may try swapping cases with a thinline acoustic I own.

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (04/04/13 09:15 AM)

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

GP Island
#2482891 - 04/04/13 10:57 AM Re: NGD: Surrender to the darkness! [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
I wish they had named it Good Karma...it's a cool looking curvy model that deserves a fitted case though a quality gig bag may be the answer for now. I might try an LP case. Love the contour cutout and the binding. Wouldn't worry about the single/hum switching knobs as you will usually decide which way to go before the song starts. It means more to me to have good volume balance when switching as the hums are usually louder than the singles and it's a lot nicer when they balance out volume wise.

Anyway, I like her and I hope she works out for you...also, like the stealth fighter concept... thu

#2482919 - 04/04/13 01:03 PM Re: NGD: Surrender to the darkness! [Re: Larryz]
simus35 Offline

Loc: Canada(Kingston)
lovewow too sexy, i'm falling in love with guitar

Edited by simus35 (04/04/13 01:03 PM)

Marshall VM2266
fender ’65 Twin Reverb reissue
Fender Stratocaster 1999 MIA
Godin Artisan ST-5
Godin LG Signature
Seagull S6
Yes I love Godin guitar

#2482928 - 04/04/13 02:08 PM Re: NGD: Surrender to the darkness! [Re: Larryz]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Larryz
I wish they had named it Good Karma...it's a cool looking curvy model that deserves a fitted case though a quality gig bag may be the answer for now. I might try an LP case. Love the contour cutout and the binding. Wouldn't worry about the single/hum switching knobs as you will usually decide which way to go before the song starts. It means more to me to have good volume balance when switching as the hums are usually louder than the singles and it's a lot nicer when they balance out volume wise.

Anyway, I like her and I hope she works out for you...also, like the stealth fighter concept... thu

The Bad Karma is actually a limited edition version of the Karma, seen here:
http://maldenguitars.com/karma.htm

I have only had the BK for a week now, but I have to say I'd have to seriously consider adding a Karma with the natural flamed maple top to the collection at some future point.

As for the LP cases...I tried 'em out: too small by about a half inch. Had I gotten mine back when they first appeared, I could have gotten a custom case for it, but, alas, business partnerships are seldom permanent.

In all honesty, if I wasn't such a worry-wort, I could have waited a week or so and gotten a Gator case to fit it, but my favorite music store was out. The Gretsch case, while technically a little too deep, allows me to store the BK inside with the strap still affixed, resulting in a "perfect" fit.. I can't say the same of all my guitars' cases.

#2482939 - 04/04/13 04:01 PM Re: NGD: Surrender to the darkness! [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Niiiiiiiiice! cool Nice 'n' Gretschy-meets-Les-Paully like... Has a tough, badass visual vibe goin' on... rawk

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2482946 - 04/04/13 04:46 PM Re: NGD: Surrender to the darkness! [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Bluesape Moderator Offline
10k Club

Loc: Ottawa
Nice!

#2482949 - 04/04/13 05:03 PM Re: NGD: Surrender to the darkness! [Re: Bluesape]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Way nice.......

#2482960 - 04/04/13 06:28 PM Re: NGD: Surrender to the darkness! [Re: desertbluesman]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

That flamed maple top is really pretty! I can see you adding to the arsenal in the not too distant future...kind of a yin/yang karma thing...

#2482963 - 04/04/13 07:38 PM Re: NGD: Surrender to the darkness! [Re: Larryz]
harvey Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Very nice smile I like the body shape, like an ever so gently squashed LP.

http://stjambience.wordpress.com/

#2482968 - 04/04/13 09:09 PM Re: NGD: Surrender to the darkness! [Re: harvey]
MP Hall of Fame Member

I haven't weighed it, but I wouldn't be surprised to find it weighs about the same as a standard LP. It may be flatter, but that extra 1/2" width carries significant mass.

#2482970 - 04/04/13 09:19 PM Re: NGD: Surrender to the darkness! [Re: Larryz]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Larryz
That flamed maple top is really pretty! I can see you adding to the arsenal in the not too distant future...kind of a yin/yang karma thing...

Near as I can tell, there are 3 main differences between the Karma and its naughty sibling:

1) the 3 different flamed maple top options on the Karma vs the BK's matte black ONLY finish.

2) the pickups in the BK are supposedly slightly hotter

3) the BK has individually splittable coils, the Karma seems to split both simultaneously.

But as gorgeous as it is, I absolutely have to wait to get a standard Karma. I need to finish paying odd a pair of customs I'm having built, I'd like to get an amp more suited for metal- I love my Fender HRD, but it can't touch an Orange for metal tones- and I need to save up some money for getting a US Masters Hornet. Plus other guitars and assorted other B.S.

grin

Hmmmm....I may just have a psychological disorder.

#2483053 - 04/05/13 08:55 AM Re: NGD: Surrender to the darkness! [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The BK in black is very cool. I like the logo on the headstock and the triple binding and shape of the headstock. It reminds me of the old Epiphones which were very cool! The flamed maple is a looker and I like the sunburst with the flame too. They look like they have the matching logo at the 12th fret and no other fret markers which is very nice. I forgot you were in the process of having a couple of custom jobs going, so having to wait awhile shows you are in control of that disorder...

Before I switched to EMG's and different wiring, two of my stock Strats with S-1 switching would allow individual splitting combos so you could run a single coil with a double, inside, outside, all on, one on, etc. I could seldom remember all the combos unless I pulled out the charts (mostly just went by ear). On the Taylor T3 the push/pull volume turns both on humbuckers or both on single coil and I like it that way. It also has a push/pull tone with two different tone circuits. There is no coil tapping on the EMG set ups and I like them just as well with more straight up wiring set ups. The double fat Strat is two humbuckers with a 3way instead of a 5way, two volumes and one master tone (very cool). Fat Strat is two singles and a humbucker at the bridge with a 5way and one volume and one tone control. All of them have some cool vibes, just depends on what you like and what you come up with once you Plug In!

Good luck with the new BK! I'm almost cured on that same psychological disorder and have started selling instead of buying from now on...yeah right! crazy

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose