Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2482569 - 04/03/13 04:44 AM Fishman Tripleplay Guitar Synth Device
castlewalls Offline

Loc: Allenstown, NH USA
I'm led to understand that this device requires a computer to be able to use it...?

I had a Roland GR20 once but quickly got rid of it due to the unacceptable latency of the pup design.

I use a Korg D3200 stand-alone recording deck & have no desire to use a computer & would hate to think that i'd have to plug my guitar into a computer in order to use a device such as this. The fact that it has a similar pup immediately makes me think that it will be useless due to latency.
Thoughts...?

GP Island
#2482697 - 04/03/13 01:14 PM Re: Fishman Tripleplay Guitar Synth Device [Re: castlewalls]
castlewalls Offline

Loc: Allenstown, NH USA
I recieved a response from their tech support:

"The Triple Play needs to be lined into a computer to work and the product's design is for using it with computers."

That's too bad as not everyone uses a computer to record with!

#2482752 - 04/03/13 04:10 PM Re: Fishman Tripleplay Guitar Synth Device [Re: castlewalls]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Hi, Castlewalls,

Sorry I didn't get to you earlier in the day. That was my understanding, as well. It's a USB interface, for driving soft synths. I suspect you'll have tracking, or compatibility issues if your Mac or PC isn't running the most current OS, but otherwise, it's supposed to be very fast & accurate.

I'm a long-time MIDI Guitar user, just over twenty years. I used a GK-2a, for ten or twelve years, with no major issues - I used it on maybe half a dozen different guitars, over that time, with minor tweaks to the Pickup Sensitivity in my Roland GR-1 & GR-30,whenever I moved it to another guitar. When it came time to retire the GK-2a, I had epic difficulties with the GK-3, when I first got one, tracking, latency, re-triggering, virtually everything that can go wrong with a synth pup. Eventually, the local Roland rep gave me another GK-3, which worked within the first hour after I mounted it. I've been using it ever since, with some further adjustment to the Pickup Sens in the GR's.

My strong recommendation - get a Godin Freeway SA, when and if you can afford it. A high-quality hex pup system, in a high-quality guitar, you can't go wrong with it. It's a much better instrument & hex system than the Roland-ready Strats, no contest.

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/figures-of-speech

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose