Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2482247 - 04/01/13 08:27 PM Is Bluegrass making a resurgence?
Gruupi Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas
In the last couple of months I have come across a few different musicians that are really into bluegrass, and it's not like they are closet fans. Musicians of different ages and backgrounds that are recently playing bluegrass. Some longtime friends that weren't into it before are in Bluegrass bands, and also some relatively young kids who think it's the hot new thing. What gives?

I am neither pro nor con, but was kind of surprised to come across this trend if you could call it that. Am I missing something?
http://www.youtube.com/user/gruupi

GP Island
#2482250 - 04/01/13 08:42 PM Re: Is Bluegrass making a resurgence? [Re: Gruupi]
hurricane hugo Offline
Gold Member

kids love the banjo these days. smile

#2482251 - 04/01/13 08:47 PM Re: Is Bluegrass making a resurgence? [Re: hurricane hugo]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Bluegrass players are some of the most articulate pickers ever to come down the pike. I have been a country and bluegrass admirer ever since the Porter Wagoner show way back in the mid 1960's. I can't play country very well, but I sure do appreciate the musicianship that goes into that genera. Those guys can pick.

#2482257 - 04/01/13 09:12 PM Re: Is Bluegrass making a resurgence? [Re: hurricane hugo]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: hurricane hugo
kids love the banjo these days. smile

I wouldn't hold that against them, though.

#2482272 - 04/01/13 11:24 PM Re: Is Bluegrass making a resurgence? [Re: Scott Fraser]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

I remember when the movie "Blade Runner" was released, and I was reading an interview with Bono and he said he loved the visuals but the music - synth stuff by Vangelis, I think - was all wrong... because the more advanced technology becomes and the more ingrained it becomes in people's lives the more they will look backwards for a little humanity... the 40s-throwback fashion in the movie was right, he thought, but the music would be acoustic with world influences reflecting the multi-cultural population, like mexican bluegrass with zithers.

I swear right after I read that mainstream pop culture started to get over it;s futuristic fetish and start getting retro. The 90s certainly didn't look like I thought they would in the early 80s.

Yeah, bluegrass is making a resurgence... it's part of the alt-country/roots rock/whatever you want to call it corner of underground (or slightly below mainstream)/NPR+college radio thing... all of that is what punks now grow up into digging when they outgrow the nihilism and it's stuff that otherwise cosmopolitan/suburban college kids like for its humanity.

I don't know if Mumford & Sons fit the term, or the Avett Brothers, but those acts are spearheading the banjo revival. The "O, Brother..." soundtrack deserves some credit...

I live down here in cajun music land and bluegrass is always represented, even gets its own festivals. I know one bluegrass band of witty, smart-ass types and another of metalheads who do metal covers bluegrass style. Then a few straightforward faithful bands.

There's a huge sector of younger acts that take a little of that approach...

I promoted a show or two here for these guys, who played and sang into one mic they stood around...

But I've known kids who were just into hardcore punk and swedish black metal or whatever, then one day they show up and start talking about some band like this they've gotten into.

#2482329 - 04/02/13 08:18 AM Re: Is Bluegrass making a resurgence? [Re: p90jr]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: p90jr
The "O, Brother..." soundtrack deserves some credit...

I'd say that movie has done more for the Bluegrass revival than anything else, with "Prairie Home Companion" a close second. That scene never went away, it just went underground after the 60's Folk revival got pushed off the stage by rock. There has been an ongoing presence in folk festivals as long as I've been mixing sound & that community of folk musicians has been very very good to my career. It's a great scene with great players & great people, who care more about music than money, & I'm really glad to see it coming back toward mainstream recognition somewhat.

#2482331 - 04/02/13 08:25 AM Re: Is Bluegrass making a resurgence? [Re: Scott Fraser]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
I liked Bluegrass ever since seeing the Dillards perform as "the Darling family" on The Andy Griffith Show. Desertblues is right. Some mighty fine pickers come from that musical area. Lest we forget, David Lee Roth tried fronting a bluegrass band a few years ago. Bluegrass and Hank Williams Sr. is the only "country" music I'll abide.
Whitetwang

#2482341 - 04/02/13 08:56 AM Re: Is Bluegrass making a resurgence? [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
Love Bluegrass pick'en and grinn'en to include the banjo...those boys and girls can really improvise. I love hearing their versions of old rock and roll hits too. The vocals are never that great for most people's like'en. But for me, it's an art that I appreciate(kind of like a Bob Dylan thing). Can't stay more than about an hour though...

#2482356 - 04/02/13 09:45 AM Re: Is Bluegrass making a resurgence? [Re: Larryz]
jimmac Offline

Loc: Jackson, Michigan
I agree with LarryZ I like a little but a few songs is enough for me. Jim

#2482358 - 04/02/13 09:46 AM Re: Is Bluegrass making a resurgence? [Re: Larryz]
jimmac Offline

Loc: Jackson, Michigan
I agree with LarryZ I like a little but a few songs is enough for me. Jim

#2482411 - 04/02/13 01:04 PM Re: Is Bluegrass making a resurgence? [Re: Scott Fraser]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Scott Fraser
The "O, Brother..." soundtrack deserves some credit...

I'd say that movie has done more for the Bluegrass revival than anything else, with "Prairie Home Companion" a close second. That scene never went away, it just went underground after the 60's Folk revival got pushed off the stage by rock. There has been an ongoing presence in folk festivals as long as I've been mixing sound & that community of folk musicians has been very very good to my career. It's a great scene with great players & great people, who care more about music than money, & I'm really glad to see it coming back toward mainstream recognition somewhat.

Rock and roll is folk music, no matter what sounds and technology get heaped onto it... and it keeps cycling through that people reach a point where all of the stuff layered on the facade is distracting for them and they want to strip it down to the basics, and that usually leads to acoustic stringed instruments.

I would like to see some mixing of the world's different acoustic music.

By the way, the city of Lafayette, Louisiana has a yearly event called Festival International that is is free and open and a blast and full of acts from around the world. It's coming up in 3 weeks (April 24-28). A much better time than the New Orleans Jazz Fest, usually... and free. Everybody should make it there once, or many times...

#2482416 - 04/02/13 01:14 PM Re: Is Bluegrass making a resurgence? [Re: p90jr]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

I guess I should mention the Free Annual French Quarter Festival in New Orleans April 11-14, too...

#2482577 - 04/03/13 05:17 AM Re: Is Bluegrass making a resurgence? [Re: p90jr]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
Anybody who's into acoustic music of any sort, or lives in or around Kansas City knows about the Walnut Valley Music Festival affectionately known as Winfield, after the town near where it's held every September. Their flatpicking contest attracts acoustic players from all over the world. Bluegrass is so alive and well there, it can't be said to be having a resurgence. Like a lot of less mainstream styles, the hardcore fans have been happily pickin' and grinnin' right along.

#2482637 - 04/03/13 08:45 AM Re: Is Bluegrass making a resurgence? [Re: p90jr]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Rock and roll is folk music,

Absolutely it is. In fact all music is folk music, except formal, academy-trained classical music.

Quote:
I would like to see some mixing of the world's different acoustic music.

There's quite a lot of that going on all over the place, especially in the last 10 or 15 years.

#2482648 - 04/03/13 09:26 AM Re: Is Bluegrass making a resurgence? [Re: Scott Fraser]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I don't buy it...there's just something different about Roll Over Beethoven and Where Have All the Flowers Gone? crazy

Edited by Larryz (04/03/13 09:33 AM)
Edit Reason: Rock and Roll Baby!

#2482725 - 04/03/13 02:47 PM Re: Is Bluegrass making a resurgence? [Re: picker]
p90jr Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: picker
Anybody who's into acoustic music of any sort, or lives in or around Kansas City knows about the Walnut Valley Music Festival affectionately known as Winfield, after the town near where it's held every September. Their flatpicking contest attracts acoustic players from all over the world. Bluegrass is so alive and well there, it can't be said to be having a resurgence. Like a lot of less mainstream styles, the hardcore fans have been happily pickin' and grinnin' right along.

I'll have to work this into a future "BBQ pilgrimage."

#2482842 - 04/04/13 07:02 AM Re: Is Bluegrass making a resurgence? [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Larryz
I don't buy it...there's just something different about Roll Over Beethoven and Where Have All the Flowers Gone? crazy

I know you're only kidding around, Larry, but that's actually the kind of stereotyping folk music suffers from in this day and age. Mention folk music, and many conjure up images of "A Mighty Wind" type looking performers, Joan Baez and Phil Ochs. I know Baez and Ochs were good, but they're NOT the pentultimate representation of folk music. Many never seem to think of Dylan, Donovan, Von Schmidt, Buckley, Croce, Smither, Cohen, Waits and Mitchell( Joni, not Chad) as first coming to us from the folk scene.

It wasn't ALL Kingston Trio and New Christy Minstrels.
Whitefang

#2482899 - 04/04/13 11:22 AM Re: Is Bluegrass making a resurgence? [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

There was a Beethoven pun intended Whitefang, but there is always a little truth in a joke or good humor. We have the makings of a new thread on how much Rock and Roll came from American folk music and where they both came from. American folk is what and from where? Sorry if I stereotyped it a little as I love the artists especially Dylan, Donovan and Croce. I would have included Taylor in the list. Jazz, Rock and Roll, Folk, [Blues] and Bluegrass are definitely part of American music history but you can tell by the set list which concert you will want to attend. It's hard to believe Hang Down Your Head Tom Dooley and Scotch and Soda were both done by the Kingston Trio if that helps prove your point...

Ps. forgot to add the Blues!

Edited by Larryz (04/04/13 07:26 PM)

#2482908 - 04/04/13 11:48 AM Re: Is Bluegrass making a resurgence? [Re: Larryz]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Larryz
It's hard to believe Hang Down Your Head Tom Dooley and Scotch and Soda were both done by the Kingston Trio if that helps prove your point...

The Kingston Trio were to folk music what the Archies were to rock.

#2482958 - 04/04/13 06:23 PM Re: Is Bluegrass making a resurgence? [Re: Scott Fraser]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yeah, the Archies did some cute songs, kind of like the Monkees and the Partridge Family...a bubble gum commercial sound that would result in a hit like Sugar Sugar or Last Train To Clarksville...reminds me of another cool song like Along Comes Mary by the Association. Then there are the even better harmonies from groups like the Mommas and the Poppas and The Beegees (sorry for any spelling errors on the group names)...

#2483045 - 04/05/13 08:25 AM Re: Is Bluegrass making a resurgence? [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Y'know, since The Monkees took over playing their own instruments and choosing their music, they put out some pretty good stuff. Lest we forget, Tork and Nesmith came from a contemporary musical background, and Nesmith penned the song that was The Stone Pony's big first hit. And THAT brought Linda Ronstadt to everyone's attention. And HE (Nesmith) came from a folk/blues/country type background.
Whitefang

#2483060 - 04/05/13 09:28 AM Re: Is Bluegrass making a resurgence? [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Back to Bluegrass and Rock and Roll, I still play Blue Moon of Kentucky by Bill Monroe but I do it more like the Elvis version and throw in some Travis picking (as a poor example of his picking but I do what I can)...Then there is another Country Music song by Hank Williams Sr. called Hey Good Look'en, that I do a Jazzy version of. I went on Youtube and found I'm not the 1st one to hear it in a Jazzy style. Sometimes you just got to bend the wheel a little...

+1 on the Monkees doing some nice stuff...I really liked Linda Ronstadt when she had the Mexican backing band, kind of like Paul Simon with the Diamonds on the souls of his shoes in the background from Africa...It's all good and I think we are meant to have fun with it...Folk music that is...

#2483092 - 04/05/13 10:59 AM Re: Is Bluegrass making a resurgence? [Re: Larryz]
Eric Iverson Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Jackson Heights, NY
Bluegrass is cool music. There's a bluegrass jam I used to attend back when I first got my mandolin, for beginning and intermediate players. The people who go there are SERIOUS fans of the genre, unlike me, who like it but not obsessively. It was fun, but very traditional minded, singing all those old bluegrass hits and all; and just about everything in the key of G... LOL
I may pop in again soon, since it's now spring, finally.

I really do enjoy hearing it done by masters, though. Great pickers and nice vocal harmonies, and some of them are more modern in their approach, which annoys the traditionalists no end.
I think annoying traditionalists is a GOOD thing, myself, though we need them, too, to make sure great things from the past aren't forgotten.

#2483489 - 04/07/13 07:38 AM Re: Is Bluegrass making a resurgence? [Re: Eric Iverson]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Some of the newer "country" artists are putting elements of Bluegrass in their music. And if some oldsters recall, The Eagles very early stuff had a bluegrass vibe to it. That would be a few years before they checked in to Hotel Catatonia.
Whitefang

#2483508 - 04/07/13 09:49 AM Re: Is Bluegrass making a resurgence? [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Some of the newer "country" is throwing in cowboy rap which is a genre I'm not fond of and thus I lose interest in the newer stuff. Throwing Bluegrass into country is always acceptable and has always been a part of it. Country Swing and Country Blues has always played a part in country music. Country Rock and Southern Country are very cool cross-overs from groups like Asleep at The Wheel, Alabama, Charlie Daniels Band, Marshal Tucker, etc. Cowboy Jazz is taking Country Swing to new Be Bop levels. But as Eric said, it's good to keep the pure traditionalists around. That's why I'm going to see Merle Haggard tomorrow night! cool

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose