Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2482165 - 04/01/13 02:54 PM Boss GL-100 users?
Mikhael Offline

I have a Boss GL-100 that I just received. The sounds are actually very good on the thing, both clean and dirty, with one exception:

I get this nasty crackly distortion on EITHER channel, when it gets turned up even halfway. And I'm talking about the master volume, not the input gain. Plus, it's obvious that it's not affected by the speaker emulator (no tonal difference when switched).

Has anyone experienced this? Other than this annoying thing, it's actually a pretty decent preamp.

GP Island
#2482301 - 04/02/13 06:23 AM Re: Boss GL-100 users? [Re: Mikhael]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Do you mean the new GT-100, multi-effects? I have a couple of things you can try, based on my experience with other GT-series processors.

I expect you've checked your cables, amp input and guitar out jack, to make sure the problem isn't with any of those. Sorry if I wind up suggesting things you've already tried.

First of all, listen through the Headphone jack - if you're still hearing the noise in there, you know the problem is in the GT-100. Second, turn off the Compressor in any noisy patches, see if that helps at all. Scroll through some of the different factory patches, clean & dirty, to see if that noise shows up everywhere.

Another thing to check is if any of the noisy patches use the Spring Reverb effect. There's a parameter to dial down the Spring Sensitivity. Not exactly like the noise you're describing, but you'd be surprised how noisy it is, in some of the factory presets.

FWIW, I'm a long-time Boss user. I have a GT-3 that's been a mainstay of my rig for more than ten years, and picked up a GT-10, within the last year. I'd been waiting for the GT-100 to come out, but when it did, I saw that they'd taken out Auto-Riff, and limited other functions, like Feedbacker & Ring Mod, to the Accel pedal. I also heard many complaints about noise issues, tone quality, and difficulty engaging effects, enough to put me off the thing. I wound up buying the last new GT-10 at my FLMS, instead of the newly-arrived GT-100.

If you're still getting noise, after trying everything you can think of, I'd take the unit back where you got it, and A/B it with another GT-100, to see if it's a problem with your unit. Good luck.

Edited by Winston Psmith (04/02/13 06:24 AM)
Edit Reason: punct.

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/10-aphorisms

#2482347 - 04/02/13 09:18 AM Re: Boss GL-100 users? [Re: Winston Psmith]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
I hope you find the problem Mikhael. I think Winston's advice sounds pretty darn good as he has experience with the Boss pedals. If you have a guitar buddy you might try the pedal at his house and on his equipment too...the store should replace it for you if it just has a volume pot problem or give you a refund.

#2482528 - 04/02/13 09:28 PM Re: Boss GL-100 users? [Re: Larryz]
pinkjimiphoton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: new england, usa
yah i had a gl00 guitar preamp...rack deal, one or two spaces, fairly decent.
if you are getting that kind of sound, first bet would be bad filter caps, as this thing is like, from maybe early to mid 1980's.

probably could use a good cleaning, and all the electros should be replaced.

these things are pretty good when they're working. i sold my last one probably...sheesh..20 some years ago.

wp, this is the unit in question..

http://www.bossarea.com/other/gl100.asp

#2482645 - 04/03/13 09:16 AM Re: Boss GL-100 users? [Re: pinkjimiphoton]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Good call Jimi, I forgot all about the "L"...if it's from the 80's, it's a DIY'er problem (unless someone like you wants to tackle it)...

#2482735 - 04/03/13 03:20 PM Re: Boss GL-100 users? [Re: Larryz]
pinkjimiphoton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

probably best to take it to a local guy, shipping to/from me is probably exorbinant.

#2482738 - 04/03/13 03:25 PM Re: Boss GL-100 users? [Re: pinkjimiphoton]
pinkjimiphoton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

mikhail, where are you located?
is there a radio shack/electronics store anywhere near you?
i would start with some tv tuner/contact cleaner.
make SURE it says SAFE ON PLASTIC.
unplug from wall, and make sure the power switch is "on" to bleed any residual electricty stored inside to ground.

open up the chassis, and spray a little cleaner in every pot.. the open part, just a quick blast... and twist each knob from off to full about 12-15 times.
next, spray a little cleaner into each jack on the unit, and vigorously plug/unplug a standard guitar cord plug into each jack 15-20 times.
let the cleaner evaporate, put the cover back on, plug it in and see if the problem persists. always triple check to make sure it IS NOT PLUGGED IN WHEN WORKING ON IT.
keep one hand...seriously... in your pocket while cleaning it, make sure you do not ever touch any of it's guts while in there with both hands.
that will save you a potentially fatal shock.
if you are at all uncomfortable/unused to working inside electronics, TAKE IT TO A PRO.
it's worth the money, and could not only save your life, but give you a good piece of great sounding gear, and support your musical community and the guys who keep it running.
best brother
jimi

#2482748 - 04/03/13 03:52 PM Re: Boss GL-100 users? [Re: pinkjimiphoton]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Thanks, Jimi, I totally missed it on this one. To be honest, I don't remember ever seeing that unit!?!? Was it the precursor to the GP-100?

Funny thing, the EQ on Channel One is just like the EQ section of the GT processors, semi=parametric, w/variable low-mid & high-mid frequency bands. Some things never change. . . .

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/10-aphorisms

#2482782 - 04/03/13 07:38 PM Re: Boss GL-100 users? [Re: Winston Psmith]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

+1 Jimi, I was taught that keeping one hand in your pocket (or grab your belt with one hand behind you) is a life saver that the old electronic teachers still practice to this day. I was told it keeps you from passing electricity through your heart and also to take off any rings, watches, etc. and put them in your pocket...and an even bigger +1 on making sure you're not plugged in!

Edited by Larryz (04/03/13 07:55 PM)
Edit Reason: an even bigger +1

#2482967 - 04/04/13 09:02 PM Re: Boss GL-100 users? [Re: Larryz]
pinkjimiphoton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

repeatedly check. be anal about it.

wp, yah, precursor to the modelors..that's actually pre-gp8 old.

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose