Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2481973 - 04/01/13 03:46 AM Got this Email from TC Electronics...
02R96 Offline
Gold Member

Got this today. Note: edited for brevity...

TC Electronic effects will no longer be processing the D- and G strings on guitars when running the guitar signal through TC Electronic products.

This means that while the low E, A, B and E - strings will still be effected in the quality guitarists expect from TC Electronic, the D- and G string will only produce a dry sound when run through TC effect processors.

This feature is available immediately in TonePrint pedals, and will be gradually rolled out across our entire guitar platform. Also, by taking processing power away from the D- and G strings, we free up more processing power for the other ones, resulting in a richer, deeper sound. Our ultimate goal is to go to market with TonePrint pedals that do absolutely nothing (still true bypass). No effect to shape tone - it's really 100% you!

All pedals sold after April first will have the software update pre-installed. People that already own TonePrint pedals, can get the software update by clicking the button below.

This is interesting to me as I have their "Hall of Fame" reverb pedal. Opinions about TC aside, think there is any real advantage to this?

"When you play a stadium you almost have to do a Mick Jagger where you wave a sash around and prance about. I canít quite do that..."

David Crosby talking about CSNY's 1974 Doom tour.

GP Island
#2481981 - 04/01/13 05:00 AM Re: Got this Email from TC Electronics... [Re: 02R96]
BluMunk Offline

Loc: Burlington, VT
Um, check your calendar? smile

Edited by BluMunk (04/01/13 05:01 AM)

#2481988 - 04/01/13 05:48 AM Re: Got this Email from TC Electronics... [Re: BluMunk]
russclan Offline

Lol...happy April 1st!

Seriously tho, wouldn't surprise me, given how that company's been rolling lately. Maybe they should merge with Rode and just keep everyone's pedals when they get sent in for service.

#2482011 - 04/01/13 07:13 AM Re: Got this Email from TC Electronics... [Re: russclan]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Oh, man, this reminds me of a real product I saw, about ten(?) years ago.

They were single-space rack units, usually with one or two knobs and some primitive display panel, and highly ambiguous names. In essence, they were dummy panels, that had no electronics, and did NOTHING! The idea was when some clueless client asked for something idiotic, and engineer could reach over, turn the dummy dial, and ask, "How's that?"

Sadly, you'd be amazed at how often the response was, "Yeah, that's it!"

Ah, wait, found one! Remember, this is not an April Fool's prank - they really make and sell these.
Funk Logic Palindrometer

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/figures-of-speech

#2482022 - 04/01/13 07:58 AM Re: Got this Email from TC Electronics... [Re: Winston Psmith]
02R96 Offline
Gold Member

"When you play a stadium you almost have to do a Mick Jagger where you wave a sash around and prance about. I canít quite do that..."

David Crosby talking about CSNY's 1974 Doom tour.

#2482050 - 04/01/13 09:09 AM Re: Got this Email from TC Electronics... [Re: 02R96]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
Happy April Fools Day! facepalm

Edited by Larryz (04/01/13 10:33 AM)
Edit Reason: no edit necessary

#2482052 - 04/01/13 09:20 AM Re: Got this Email from TC Electronics... [Re: Winston Psmith]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith
Oh, man, this reminds me of a real product I saw, about ten(?) years ago.
They were single-space rack units, usually with one or two knobs and some primitive display panel, and highly ambiguous names. In essence, they were dummy panels, that had no electronics, and did NOTHING! The idea was when some clueless client asked for something idiotic, and engineer could reach over, turn the dummy dial, and ask, "How's that?"
Sadly, you'd be amazed at how often the response was, "Yeah, that's it!"
Ah, wait, found one! Remember, this is not an April Fool's prank - they really make and sell these.
Funk Logic Palindrometer

A client gave me one of those. It has a tiny mic inside connected to a VU meter. Turn the knob up & the meter moves to the right, based on whatever sound is going on in the room. Silly fun.
True story: I used to have a studio with a couple brothers who liked to continually tinker with the Allen & Heath mixer we had. One of the modifications left a knob in the master section unconnected to anything. It eventually obtained a very legitimate looking label which read "More Oboe". If a session was not going well eventually at some point one of us would say "You know, James, I think it could use a bit more oboe." The knob would be turned, the client consulted, & more often than not, they approved the new direction the mix was taking. The placebo effect. Works in medicine, works in music.

#2482201 - 04/01/13 05:51 PM Re: Got this Email from TC Electronics... [Re: Scott Fraser]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Works in the kitchen, too.

Shoulda known something was up with referrences to the "D-" string!
Whitefang

#2482236 - 04/01/13 07:38 PM Re: Got this Email from TC Electronics... [Re: whitefang]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: whitefang

Really? I'll have to try that. "Needs more salt? There. Try that." He said while she wasn't looking.

#2482303 - 04/02/13 06:31 AM Re: Got this Email from TC Electronics... [Re: Scott Fraser]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Maybe it's time to market that Talent Booster pedal, after all. Put in a couple of lights, make it True Bypass, since it won't really do anything to the guitar signal, and just one knob that says, MORE!

We'd probably sell quite a few. . . . Anybody got a line on some venture capital?

#2482328 - 04/02/13 08:16 AM Re: Got this Email from TC Electronics... [Re: Scott Fraser]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Originally Posted By: Scott Fraser
Originally Posted By: whitefang

Really? I'll have to try that. "Needs more salt? There. Try that." He said while she wasn't looking.

Belive it or not, I've actually had something like that WORK! Other household examples: My wife will frequently ask me to turn the heat up in a house already primed for baking bread. I'll saunter over to the thermostat, click it a couple of degrees up and back to original setting. 20 minutes later, she's thanking me for making it warmer. smirk
Whitefang

#2482343 - 04/02/13 09:04 AM Re: Got this Email from TC Electronics... [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
I think the best do-nothing pedal (without trying to fool people) is the on/off switch. You can leave everything plugged in when taking a break and come back to your last settings, or you can switch guitars during a set, or you can cut it if you get weird feed back or other problems, etc. The same things can be done with a volume pedal when you don't have the on/off switch...

#2482529 - 04/02/13 09:30 PM Re: Got this Email from TC Electronics... [Re: Larryz]
pinkjimiphoton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: new england, usa
oh man, this is funny...
my bud eric from the band dizzyfish was here today...
complaing of how his tc polytune doesn't track the e or a strings...lol

#2482615 - 04/03/13 07:56 AM Re: Got this Email from TC Electronics... [Re: pinkjimiphoton]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
grin

Originally Posted By: pinkjimiphoton
oh man, this is funny...

freak laugh grin thu

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2482833 - 04/04/13 06:25 AM Re: Got this Email from TC Electronics... [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Caevan O'Shite
grin

Originally Posted By: pinkjimiphoton
oh man, this is funny...

freak laugh grin thu

Must be another upgrade. . . .

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose