Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

weird guitar appreciation

I like the banjo tuners on the nylon and that's the best use for the cutaway butt I've seen (ie. resting the guitar on your knee) for classical players...I have heard better sounding nylon electrics though. Not sure about that big arm just to support a strap lock and the tie bridge when they make ball end nylon strings...it is very nice and a very worthy project...

On the taproot, it is definitely beyond trees. The guy is an exceptional wood worker. Not sure how well redwood which is pretty darn soft will work as a neck, but this guy is beyond any second guessing on my part and knows his stuff. I think The Sgt Pepper band would have liked this concept...

both a very cool even if not my cup of tea...thanks for sharing Hugo! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

There used to be a company that made guitar necks with interchangeable fingerboards; Tony Levin used to endorse 'em during the Three of a Perfect Pair/So period. Anyway, while trying and failing to find video/photos of said necks, I found this guy's work:

[video:youtube]

:D

He has another video with a bit of Floyd's "Wish You Were Here", but its clear that he's not a great player, and it's probable that the guitar is out of tune...

And its just as dark as the other vid, so you really can't see much beyond the LEDs.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

For me, it makes the guitar sound like a sitar. Good belly dancer concept guitar IMHO. His micro tones are what I would call subtle bends...He just needs a gypsy or belly dancer to go with the video...

ps. 8 strings in altered tuning with the melody played on one or two of them in a single mode, seems to be greatly enhanced when he starts tapping and playing many strings with both hands. Not sure if the guitar is in or out of tune as the micro tones are going to make some of that out of tune sound happen naturally. Cool concept... :cool:

Take care, Larryz

He has another video with a bit of Floyd's "Wish You Were Here", but its clear that he's not a great player, and it's probable that the guitar is out of tune...

And its just as dark as the other vid, so you really can't see much beyond the LEDs.

This design, along with the one that looks like a fish skeleton, though imaginative & spacey, seems like the worst possible ergonomics one could think of in building an instrument that humans have to play. There's no body to anchor solidly against the player's body for stability, so the fretting hand has to hold the thing up, & there's no mass to provide sustain, nothing solid to push against for bends & vibrato. I don't get it.

Scott Fraser

I have seen a lot of aluminum guitars out there- few quite as polished (literally) as that one- and I'd love to have one. I must have a dozen or so bookmarked.

Choosing one would be difficult, though not as much as paying for one, though...

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Here`s one, Dragonfly Guitars from Osaka. 26.2 inch scale length-I`ve played one they are a lot of fun:

http://www.digimart.net/images/1122/DS01960902.jpg

Here`s a custom version, note the clear pickguard:

http://www.digimart.net/images/721/DS01963135_1.jpg

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Here`s one, Dragonfly Guitars from Osaka. 26.2 inch scale length-I`ve played one they are a lot of fun:

Standard tuning, not baritone? That's long. Does it feel substantially longer than a Fender neck? I'll bet ease of playing upper frets is great, but wonder about certain 1st position chord voicings being more of a stretch.

Scott Fraser