Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2481413 - 03/29/13 08:11 AM OT: The things we do for love . . . and money.
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway

GP Island
#2481436 - 03/29/13 09:53 AM Re: OT: The things we do for love . . . and money. [Re: Winston Psmith]
Danzilla Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Deep, yet straight to the point.

#2481481 - 03/29/13 11:11 AM Re: OT: The things we do for love . . . and money. [Re: Danzilla]
russclan Offline

Lol, looks like your original post got swallowed by the forum's black hole...

I've had too many crappy jobs over the years. I think the worst one, although the money was good, was around '89 or '90. I worked for Excelawn/Trugreen as an applicator. Nasty, foul-smelling rubber boots were a constant source of the most painful blisters on my feet, and none of them fit correctly. So I'd put on like 3 layers of socks to try and combat it...which of course made my feet sweat like crazy. And most customers opted for the wet application, which required a rapid, jerky side-to-side motion with the nozzle to do it properly. So by the end of the day, my right hand, wrist, and forearm were just toast. We'd plan out the following day's route with laminated maps and a china marker. Easy enough to do, and if everything went smoothly on the route, you could be at your first lawn at around 6:30am and finish up for the day around noon and call it a day. Of course it rarely worked out that way. We had to do X number of lawns to get a full day's pay, but inevitably you'd show up at a house and the customer would come outside, screaming that they'd canceled the service, or hadn't been notified we were coming (call-aheads were an option, and something the sales personnel were notorious for glossing over), so they'd tell you to leave. When that happened, you had to resort to your "back-up" pile of accounts (which were never in the same area) to make up for it. So, most days we wouldn't finish until sometime between 4 and 5pm.

I'd get home, manage to squeeze around a half hour of practicing in, eat dinner, and crash...absolutely exhausted.

LOL...good times. freak

#2481523 - 03/29/13 01:22 PM Re: OT: The things we do for love . . . and money. [Re: Winston Psmith]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith

True.

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2481532 - 03/29/13 02:00 PM Re: OT: The things we do for love . . . and money. [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
harvey Online   content
Gold Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Working the odd day off labouring convinced me to keep practising and building my tuition business at the time!

http://stjambience.wordpress.com/

#2481551 - 03/29/13 03:27 PM Re: OT: The things we do for love . . . and money. [Re: harvey]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
!

#2481554 - 03/29/13 03:41 PM Re: OT: The things we do for love . . . and money. [Re: desertbluesman]
A String Administrator Offline
Admin
10k Club

Loc: Ontario, Canada
A mere speck of what your posts used to be.
My Pics

#2481578 - 03/29/13 05:35 PM Re: OT: The things we do for love . . . and money. [Re: A String]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

;~)

#2481661 - 03/30/13 08:42 AM Re: OT: The things we do for love . . . and money. [Re: desertbluesman]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Well put! Couldn't have said it better myself. Of course, I'd have proofread to avoid the typos.

I've spent nearly 30 years working for the auto industry. Luckily, with the exception of the first couple of months, I was able to avoid all the shit jobs. But for me, it was always a means to an end. I never worried about any kind of glory or status, and took comfort in that I was doing honest labor. And not once did I ever allow my job to define WHO I was.
Whitefang

#2481679 - 03/30/13 10:22 AM Re: OT: The things we do for love . . . and money. [Re: A String]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Originally Posted By: A String
A mere speck of what your posts used to be.

After yet more coffee, my personal fuel, I decided it wasn't that good a story, so I, um, condensed it. Still seems to have gotten my point across. (Oh, hell, inadvertent pun.)

In all honesty, I probably can't tell you the worst thing I've ever done for living, because there are too many worthy candidates - that, or I'd be violating my own Fifth Amendment rights. However, walking around in a darkened greenhouse full of poison gas, while wearing a moon suit, and sounding like Darth Vader every time I took a breath, was pretty damned weird, and slightly nerve-racking. If my nose itched, or I got a drop of sweat in my eye, well, too bad.

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/10-aphorisms

#2481721 - 03/30/13 12:53 PM Re: OT: The things we do for love . . . and money. [Re: Winston Psmith]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
My first job was Working at the Car Wash blues for $1.10 an hour back in `65...still love the Jim Croce song...

#2482203 - 04/01/13 05:58 PM Re: OT: The things we do for love . . . and money. [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

MY first job was a car wash, too. AND back in '65.

My 3rd, 4th and 6th jobs were car washes too.
Whitefang

#2482227 - 04/01/13 07:12 PM Re: OT: The things we do for love . . . and money. [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
Not that there's anything wrong with that. I kind of liked working at the car wash. I still remember "walking home in soggy old shoes"...

#2482253 - 04/01/13 08:56 PM Re: OT: The things we do for love . . . and money. [Re: whitefang]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: whitefang
Well put! Couldn't have said it better myself. Of course, I'd have proofread to avoid the typos.

I've spent nearly 30 years working for the auto industry. Luckily, with the exception of the first couple of months, I was able to avoid all the shit jobs. But for me, it was always a means to an end. I never worried about any kind of glory or status, and took comfort in that I was doing honest labor. And not once did I ever allow my job to define WHO I was.
Whitefang

I was a bricklayer, stone mason, concrete finisher, and tile setter. I hated my job every day that I worked it once I learned how to do it. I just refused to pick up those rocks the last years of my working life. I turned to estimating masonry as my living for the last 10 years or so. Not as bad as on the job site. Still I never found a job that I liked very much, I am glad I retired at 62 but I still do work several hours a day at the estimating trade to supplement my Social Security.

My job never defined me either. I only did it for the money, although I was very good at it, I disliked it every day that I did it.

Even though I love playing music I actually hated working the bars, so I never pursued my musical dreams professionally.

#2482335 - 04/02/13 08:33 AM Re: OT: The things we do for love . . . and money. [Re: desertbluesman]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

DBM, at my 10th high school reunion, I ran across a guy I knew well back then. Said he had a little landscaping buisiness. Further talk revealed he lived on the same street I did! "Which house?" I asked. "Third house from the corner of Ferris Street" he said.

Sure enough, when driving in that direction, I looked for the third house from that corner, and THERE it WAS!

The only house on the block without a tree, bush, shrub and not even a LAWN worth mentioning! And his landscaping truck in the driveway.

The further irony? His last name is TREELOFF!
Whitefang

Edited by whitefang (04/02/13 08:34 AM)

#2482530 - 04/02/13 09:34 PM Re: OT: The things we do for love . . . and money. [Re: whitefang]
pinkjimiphoton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: new england, usa
man...
i remember working for a chicken ranch.
talk about nasty.
them things are disgusting.
i still remember the first time i went to work...unexpectedly, but in anticipation of making money, i went for it...
forgetting the windowpanes i had dropped.
ooops.
nothing like seeing 20,000 cowering chickens to ruin your buzz...
we'd work sometimes for 2 days straight.. getting paid "by the bird".

i made so much in one week, i could afford a brand new les paul custom. was it worth it? hell no!! lol

#2482534 - 04/02/13 09:48 PM Re: OT: The things we do for love . . . and money. [Re: pinkjimiphoton]
Terrell Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Austin, TX
period

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose