Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2479857 - 03/23/13 11:33 AM Sirius XM
russclan Offline

Anybody use this? My wife and I just bought a car (which sucks, 'cuz I haven't had a car payment in over 5 years...man that was nice) and we got the service free for 3 months. At first I thought it was great, lots of options in lots of genres, etc. But I'm finding it to be a bit repetitive...I've got 5 or 6 channels saved, and it seems like they all just roll the same tunes on a loop. Not that the free FM stations don't do the same thing, but at ~20 bucks a month, kinda seems like a lot of money.

I doubt we're gonna sign up when the free period's over.

GP Island
#2479976 - 03/24/13 08:08 AM Re: Sirius XM [Re: russclan]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
I don't know much of anything about that service, but friends tell me that it's similar to having "premium" channels on your cable TV. And what I remember about THAT is whenever I'd tune in, they'd be showing the same movie they've already shown 10-15 times BEFORE. In one month!

Yeah, based on what you say, I'd just stick to playing CDs or just station surfing.
Whitefang

#2480006 - 03/24/13 09:54 AM Re: Sirius XM [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
The service does not interest me at $20 bucks a month. I pay $8 bucks a month for movies from Netflix as it's cheaper than buying movies every month or paying for "premium" channels. If the movie interests me, I might buy a copy. I have pretty much stopped buying movies. I listen to news talk radio during the week and on the weekends I listen to free local FM music stations. If on a trip, I would just take some CD's along for the ride...

#2480040 - 03/24/13 11:56 AM Re: Sirius XM [Re: Larryz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
I had that or a similar service on my Direct TV satellite service (until I cancelled it a few months back and went to over antenna and the air broadcasting) I never or rarely ever turned any of those channels on. I certainly would not pay for that service. Especially if I refuse to ever pay for TV satellite/cable again.

#2480049 - 03/24/13 12:49 PM Re: Sirius XM [Re: desertbluesman]
Nicklab Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New Jersey
Like anything else, you have to do a little exploring to find some of SiriusXM's better programming. I find the music programming to be infinitely more diverse than what's available on terrestrial radio. And I live in the #1 media market in the U.S.! But then an odd fact of radio in the greater NYC area is that if you're not listening to spanish language radio, programming is pretty dead.

There are easily some 20+ rock genre stations to check out. I surf those on a regular basis. And overall I've been pretty happy with the service.

#2480077 - 03/24/13 02:52 PM Re: Sirius XM [Re: russclan]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
It was available in a rental car I got last year. I found the channel selections pretty weak. Finally settled on the Blues channel & was pretty disappointed. It just didn't feel like it was being programmed by anybody with a deep knowledge of the genre. My takeaway impression is that it was a service I would never pay for.

#2480211 - 03/25/13 09:20 AM Re: Sirius XM [Re: Scott Fraser]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

So far it sounds as if the best thing about it is that it's "there". Something that would attract those dinks I know who "upgrade" their phones three times a month, or buy any new electronic gadget that comes along, just to have it.

I also belong to the TCM message boards, and often there are people on there discussing some issue with their DVR devices. As for me, my VCR still works like new, there are still places to buy the blank tapes, so I don't care about DVRs. Especially the up your ass FEE cable providers charge for the service!

I think what attracts most people to satellite radio is the "no comercials" aspect. Or it might pull in those who live in an area where local radio programming is sparse. But at $20 a month, I don't mind hearing some idiot rave about his "low, low" car prices.

And anyway, that's what the TUNING feature is for!
Whitefang

#2480296 - 03/25/13 12:32 PM Re: Sirius XM [Re: whitefang]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
It's funny, I was supposed to have a trial period on my new car last year (first new car in 21 years), and I was so ignorant of new technology that I didn't know about it until it expired. Then I got another free trial, but in half an hour of dial-flipping, concluded that there is nothing for me on Sirius XM. Regardless of genre (and I listen to all genres). It's way too narrow.

I'm lucky though that the SF Bay Area has great radio stations for classical and jazz, as well as music from other parts of the world (if I say "world music" then people think of UC Berkeley's Sproul Plaza with a gazillion would be congueros playing out of sync with each other).

When I still lived adjacent the bay, I could get in a lot of small stations that played good rock music from local artists and artists around the world. I can't get those stations east of the hills or even during the short part of my commute that is in Berkeley (where I work). I only drive (vs. BART) 2-to-3 times a month anyway. But I do miss having any exposure to outside-the-mainstream rock. I have no interest in the mainstream, and especially in commercials. I stick to the low end of the dial.

I tried Sirius XM on two different days, and couldn't find anything remotely appealing in any genre, it's so conservative.

Worse still, the sound quality was dreadful, like chalk across a blackboard. This was the big shocker for me, as I thought that was part of what the deal was about, was enhanced sound.

#2480298 - 03/25/13 12:37 PM Re: Sirius XM [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Mark Schmieder
I'm lucky though that the SF Bay Area has great radio stations for classical and jazz, as well as music from other parts of the world (if I say "world music" then people think of UC Berkeley's Sproul Plaza with a gazillion would be congueros playing out of sync with each other).

I'm always impressed, every time I'm in the Bay Area which is fairly often, how much more interesting the radio scene is there than here in LA.

Quote:
I tried Sirius XM on two different days, and couldn't find anything remotely appealing in any genre, it's so conservative.

Ditto.

Quote:
Worse still, the sound quality was dreadful, like chalk across a blackboard. This was the big shocker for me, as I thought that was part of what the deal was about, was enhanced sound.

It's basically low sample rate mp3 quality, maybe 128k or something like that.

#2480524 - 03/26/13 08:12 AM Re: Sirius XM [Re: Scott Fraser]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I've heard of people getting this service in their homes. How's the sound there?

At any rate, there seems to be an increase of public places using this service, like restraunts that previously used some kind of MUZAK system. Don't really know HOW MUZAK worked. Was THAT a subscription thing? Or did they supply tapes to businesses? I used to work for K-Mart( two months in the fall of '69) and THEY played a long tape on slow speed for ambient music. Co-worker told me some company came in and exchanged tapes every three or four months or so. Got so I knew, in those two short months, every piece of crap on that tape. To this day, I don't care if I NEVER hear "Zorba The Greek" anymore!

Anyway, the increasing use of satellite radio by institutions is the reason I very rarely, if ever, file a "Death By MUZAK" thread anymore.
Whitefang

#2480533 - 03/26/13 08:37 AM Re: Sirius XM [Re: whitefang]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
When I bought my car, it had a free trial of (I believe) X-M satellite radio.

I listened to my FM and CDs more than X-M even during the freebie time. I haven't heard anything that would convince me to give it a second chance, especially now that I have a 160GB iPod I can put my own selection of music on.

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2480540 - 03/26/13 08:55 AM Re: Sirius XM [Re: whitefang]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: whitefang
I've heard of people getting this service in their homes. How's the sound there?
At any rate, there seems to be an increase of public places using this service, like restraunts that previously used some kind of MUZAK system. Don't really know HOW MUZAK worked. Was THAT a subscription thing? Or did they supply tapes to businesses? I used to work for K-Mart( two months in the fall of '69) and THEY played a long tape on slow speed for ambient music. Co-worker told me some company came in and exchanged tapes every three or four months or so. Got so I knew, in those two short months, every piece of crap on that tape. To this day, I don't care if I NEVER hear "Zorba The Greek" anymore!
Anyway, the increasing use of satellite radio by institutions is the reason I very rarely, if ever, file a "Death By MUZAK" thread anymore.
Whitefang

Muzak was a subscription service. And as of a few months ago Muzak officially ceased to exist. The company, a family owned business, was bought several years ago & incorporated into a larger corporation. They just retired the name recently because they felt it no longer represented the current market image. I believe they still provide music subscription services but much more specifically targeted than the elevator music of the past. Now they're aimed at a lot of specific subgenres of businesses. But in aiming to be hipper they've shed the Muzak brand name.

#2480567 - 03/26/13 10:02 AM Re: Sirius XM [Re: Scott Fraser]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I've noticed very few public places like stores, dentists and doctors offices, elevators, etc., have "elevator music" of any kind anymore (probably due to copyright enforcement/fees). I kind of miss watching the old ladies who hated the Beatles, be-bopping down the isles to the instrumental version of Hard Days Night without knowing it was a Beatles tune...

#2480722 - 03/26/13 07:28 PM Re: Sirius XM [Re: Larryz]
russclan Offline

Yeah the sound quality sucks. It doesn't seem to...breathe. Sounds very compressed. I'll continue to surf it while the trial period's active, but we're not going to pay for it.

I mostly listen to the music I've loaded onto my phone from my personal collection, and I'm kind of a podcast junkie as well. Besides, even if it was a better service, I'm not in my car enough to justify it.

#2480774 - 03/27/13 06:14 AM Re: Sirius XM [Re: russclan]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
At least Sirius and XM are supposed to be programmed by human beings. Other services are bot-driven, and you can tell, because there's no rhyme or reason to their selections.

My wife listens to Pandora, when she's working at her desk, or in the kitchen. (Chef/caterer, not a housewife, if there ever was such a creature.) She's a big Elvis Costello fan, but I don't see how some of the stuff that winds up in the feed has anything to do with E.C., unless it's that some of them are British bands? Also, if you indicate that you 'like' something, it will keep showing up in your feeds, regardless. Nothing like hearing all of Shine On, You Crazy Diamond right between Radio, Radio and the Cure's Just Like Heaven, followed by the Beatles' Here, There and Everywhere.

Bring back mix tapes!!!!

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/figures-of-speech

#2480821 - 03/27/13 08:08 AM Re: Sirius XM [Re: Winston Psmith]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Nothing like hearing all of Shine On, You Crazy Diamond right between Radio, Radio and the Cure's Just Like Heaven, followed by the Beatles' Here, There and Everywhere.

"Hello, Guitar Player Forum, my name is dannyalcatraz, an I am a shuffle-play abuser."

My CD changers are commonly filled with a wide variety of stuff, so using the shuffle play feature can someti...often result in some truly odd sequences. While its more common when using one of my big ones on my home stereo (and just wait until I get my 160GB iPod fully loaded), it's worse in my cars. Nothing like trance, metal, and bagpipes playing in rapid succession in an enclosed space...

#2480828 - 03/27/13 08:34 AM Re: Sirius XM [Re: Scott Fraser]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

MUZAK gone?

Maybe NOW more people won't mind going to the DENTIST!

Kinda sad, really. I had a lot of FUN hearing some of the instrumentation used in their versions of popular tunes.
Whitefang

#2480846 - 03/27/13 09:02 AM Re: Sirius XM [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inb1NxdoKNc <--- best elevator music scene ever and the song that will live in infamy... cool cool

Edited by Larryz (03/27/13 09:03 AM)

#2480914 - 03/27/13 12:52 PM Re: Sirius XM [Re: whitefang]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: whitefang
MUZAK gone?

Maybe NOW more people won't mind going to the DENTIST!

Kinda sad, really. I had a lot of FUN hearing some of the instrumentation used in their versions of popular tunes.
Whitefang

My current dentist has a taste for C&W- not my favorite- but when you go in for a serious procedure, he lets you wear headphones & listen to whatever you choose to bring.

Nothing like having your fillings replaced while listening to BÖC...

"...we can be like they are,
Don't fear th*SKRRRRRRRRRRRRWWWRRRWWWWRRRRR*"

#2480984 - 03/27/13 04:01 PM Re: Sirius XM [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Bring a copy of Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music, and it will sound like the drill is harmonizing.

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/figures-of-speech

#2481140 - 03/28/13 08:18 AM Re: Sirius XM [Re: Winston Psmith]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

One dentist I had used to have a local "easy listening " station play over his office. Plenty of Manilow and Streisand type stuff. I used to have the nitrous going during the work, and remembering one time years earlier when my wife( at the time)was 15, HER dentist had the gas/oxi mix too strong, started freaking her out. I asked MY dentist what safeguard he used to prevent that, and he said, "Hear that music? When you start to LIKE it, I turn it down!"
Whitefang

#2481153 - 03/28/13 08:42 AM Re: Sirius XM [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I had a dentist back in the good old days that used the gas just to clean my teeth every 6 months. It really made me look forward to getting my teeth cleaned. Good stuff!

#2481989 - 04/01/13 06:09 AM Re: Sirius XM [Re: Larryz]
russclan Offline

So we're coming to the end of our trial, and an offer comes in the mail...5 months for 25 bucks.

Not sure I'm convinced yet, but I did hear Spinal Tap's "Big Bottom" on Ozzy's Boneyard the other day.

"We've all got armadillos in our trousers..."

#2482044 - 04/01/13 08:55 AM Re: Sirius XM [Re: russclan]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

$5 bucks a month is not bad for commercial free radio. A $1 buck a month offer and they would be swamped with probably a million orders overnight...

#2482687 - 04/03/13 12:33 PM Re: Sirius XM [Re: Larryz]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Be sure to read the fine print though, as those sorts of offers usually come with caveats, such as auto-renewal at the regular rate.

#2482744 - 04/03/13 03:38 PM Re: Sirius XM [Re: Mark Schmieder]
John H Horvath Offline

Loc: United States
I like the Jam Band channel and the Jazz channel. Can't get that anywhere else but Sirius XM in this radio market (Cleveland, OH).

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose