Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2479699 - 03/22/13 07:00 PM question... would you be interested in hearing...
pinkjimiphoton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: new england, usa
some unreleased tracks of a well known and respected guitar virtuoso playing some amazing and fluid jazzy guitar stuff, solo, or with just the most basic drum tracks?
a good friend of mine, someone i deeply respect was kind enough to share with me some stuff he'd recorded at home recently..
and my fuggin' jaw hit the floor. this guy's been one of my favs of all time, and i am completely used to hearing him in a rock context..
i had no idea this guy could wail like this tho.. it's like listening to joe pass or jim hall or something, but it's different and eminently cool as hell.
i'm trying to convince him that most guitar heads would absolutely love it if released;
he's kinda on the fence about it, cuz it's really just him dicking around.
but i believe it could be one of the better jazz guitar releases in the last couple decades.
i was pretty much speechless listening to it.
he asked me if any of the guys on the guitar forums would be into it, and i said, yah, i think they would be..
so.. my question is... if i can talk him into putting some up to check out, if you guys liked it, would any of you maybe buy it? not to be spammy, but this cat is getting to be a bit elderly and every little bit helps.
right now he must remain a "mystery man"... you guys wouldn't believe who it is if you hear this, unless i told you.
some of the more savvy guys here can probably guess who i am talking about, but if ya do, please don't spill the beans.
i'd love to see him get some well-deserved attention, cuz, man, it's all just about the joy of playing guitar.. and this is like a whole curriculum of guitar, a whole education, just listening.
i almost dropped my doobie!! wink

so... i ask all ye...

what do you think? would you guys be interested in hearing this?

if ya liked the samples, would ya give it a chance?

i mean, how much music do we all buy? (i know...i know...)

really curious to see what you guys think, i will send the mystery man a link to this post so he can see what you guys have to say, my respected peers and colleagues..

rock on
jimi

GP Island
#2479706 - 03/22/13 07:20 PM Re: question... would you be interested in hearing... [Re: pinkjimiphoton]
russclan Offline

Of course bro...link it up.

rawk

#2479712 - 03/22/13 07:50 PM Re: question... would you be interested in hearing... [Re: russclan]
pinkjimiphoton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

i sent him a message, telling him to look up this thread.

i mean, this is the GUITAR PLAYER FORUM!!

snd almost every single one here has been touched by this man's playing at some point. for real. wink

#2479717 - 03/22/13 08:57 PM Re: question... would you be interested in hearing... [Re: pinkjimiphoton]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
You have peaked my interest Jimi...can't wait! cool

#2479727 - 03/22/13 10:22 PM Re: question... would you be interested in hearing... [Re: Larryz]
Dannyalcatraz Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
I'd give it a listen...and the more..."completed" it is, the better.

And I have to say I like hearing when musicians step outside of their genre to try something else. I may not care for the results, but I deeply respect the efforts.

Quote:
i mean, how much music do we all buy?

I know I am a junkie! Here's a portion of the CD part of my collection:

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (03/22/13 10:26 PM)

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2479806 - 03/23/13 08:17 AM Re: question... would you be interested in hearing... [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Just because this guy knocked YOUR socks off doesn't mean he'll do the same for US. But since we ALL (I suspect) respect your opinion, I'm willing to give him a listen.

I too, have a friend who plays phenominal guitar. And he TRIED to get going in the music field. This was in the early '70's, however, and he was told that the field was already "overrun" with "white-boy jazz-fusion" players. Now, 40 odd years later, he's OK with where he is.
Whitefang

#2479823 - 03/23/13 09:03 AM Re: question... would you be interested in hearing... [Re: whitefang]
pinkjimiphoton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

well, this guy is someone who i know has already made million's jaws drop.

but the style shift evident in him just noodling around is pretty heavy.. the coolest part is listening to him shift gears, just jammin'.... one second old school chord melody kinda stuff, then like, 32nd note runs and stuff.

van halen fast, without that wheedly wheedly crap i hate.

it's more of interest i think to we guitarists in particular.

when the "big reveal" comes, i bet most of ya won't believe who it is.

fang, this guy is one of the heavys from the 70's.
this isn't the guy trying to make a comeback or anything, and i don't think he's trying to think he can or will be reinvented by this, but i think it's cool enough to be well worth listening to.

i mean...

if you could be a fly on the wall, listening to your favorite guitarists playing by themselves, no accompanyment, and killing it, it'd be awesome, right?

i think this is one of them cases.

i sent him the link,
and i am supposed to call him later...
we'll see what shakes out bros..

#2479826 - 03/23/13 09:17 AM Re: question... would you be interested in hearing... [Re: pinkjimiphoton]
SEHpicker Online   content
Platinum Member

Loc: Inverness, Florida
Dammit Jim - I'm a doctor not a mind reader! grin
So post it already!!

www.huntgroupproductions.com

#2479829 - 03/23/13 09:35 AM Re: question... would you be interested in hearing... [Re: pinkjimiphoton]
Scott Fraser Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: pinkjimiphoton

if you could be a fly on the wall, listening to your favorite guitarists playing by themselves, no accompanyment, and killing it, it'd be awesome, right?

I always find it fascinating how many people entertain themselves at home with a style completely out of context with what they do professionally. I know a hard core avantgarde electronic music guy who plays cowboy songs at home, many classical people who riff on jazz standards, Jeff Beck plays Rockabilly at home, etc. I think your pal should show what he does when he's not in a rock situation. I think it would be fascinating. Don't know who it is, but I bet I would probably like his jazz stuff better than the rock stuff anyway. Hope he takes you up on it Jimi.

#2479856 - 03/23/13 11:24 AM Re: question... would you be interested in hearing... [Re: pinkjimiphoton]
russclan Offline

Well c'mon already, let's hear it! taz

LOL, I gotta ask Jimi...what exactly is the "wheedly wheedly" stuff in EVH's playing you hate? Tapping?

#2479978 - 03/24/13 08:13 AM Re: question... would you be interested in hearing... [Re: Scott Fraser]
whitefang Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Originally Posted By: Scott Fraser

I always find it fascinating how many people entertain themselves at home with a style completely out of context with what they do professionally. I know a hard core avantgarde electronic music guy who plays cowboy songs at home, many classical people who riff on jazz standards, Jeff Beck plays Rockabilly at home, etc. I think your pal should show what he does when he's not in a rock situation. I think it would be fascinating. Don't know who it is, but I bet I would probably like his jazz stuff better than the rock stuff anyway. Hope he takes you up on it Jimi.

I remember reading somewhere that whenever Led Zeppelin were NOT working on some track that would go on an LP, they'd sit around the studio amusing themselves playing old time "music hall" numbers. Like "I've Got A Lovely Bunch of Coconuts" and such.
Whitefang

Edited by whitefang (03/24/13 08:14 AM)

#2480029 - 03/24/13 11:13 AM Re: question... would you be interested in hearing... [Re: whitefang]
Scott Fraser Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: whitefang
I remember reading somewhere that whenever Led Zeppelin were NOT working on some track that would go on an LP, they'd sit around the studio amusing themselves playing old time "music hall" numbers. Like "I've Got A Lovely Bunch of Coconuts" and such.
Whitefang

I hope somebody somewhere was rolling tape for these, & it will all come to light one day.

#2480243 - 03/25/13 10:58 AM Re: question... would you be interested in hearing... [Re: Scott Fraser]
Minte Offline

Loc: Madison
I will definitely give it a listen. Jazz is really where my interests are in music.

#2480263 - 03/25/13 11:32 AM Re: question... would you be interested in hearing... [Re: Minte]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

+1 love that jazzy vibe...Did you call him yet Jimi? cool

Edited by Larryz (03/25/13 11:34 AM)
Edit Reason: we promise not to steal

#2480343 - 03/25/13 01:45 PM Re: question... would you be interested in hearing... [Re: russclan]
Mooseboy Offline

Loc: ,NE,UNITED STATES
Uh.... ready to listen!

#2480989 - 03/27/13 04:10 PM Re: question... would you be interested in hearing... [Re: Mooseboy]
russclan Offline

Originally Posted By: Mooseboy
Uh.... ready to listen!

Yep, we're ready.

Uh, Jimi...any updates?

#2481243 - 03/28/13 12:30 PM Re: question... would you be interested in hearing... [Re: russclan]
pinkjimiphoton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

i gotta get him to mix it down and upload it, unless he wants me to do it.. wink

i have it in wav files, but it's not mine, so i don't wanna mess with it until i get the ok from the man. wink

bear with me!! he's usually pretty busy, hopefully he won't take too long. wink

#2481245 - 03/28/13 12:34 PM Re: question... would you be interested in hearing... [Re: russclan]
pinkjimiphoton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: russclan

Well c'mon already, let's hear it! taz

LOL, I gotta ask Jimi...what exactly is the "wheedly wheedly" stuff in EVH's playing you hate? Tapping?

tapping's fine.
blatantly playing off key as an excuse for playing fast is what i don't like about evh.
whole solos of his have more dissonant crap than i'll clam in a nite generally, and while hip to neighboring and passing tones and whole tone chromaticism etc, to me, if ya slow it down and it sounds like shit, well, i don't care how "impressive" it is fast.
i'm impressed by melody, not speed.
i'll take a dimebag over a vh album any day. wink

but... that's just me. i'd rather listen to richie blackmore.

#2481276 - 03/28/13 02:01 PM Re: question... would you be interested in hearing... [Re: pinkjimiphoton]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Captain, we have the wav transmission but it's not uploaded and therefore it's illogical...Damn it Spock, use all of your V-powers!!!

#2481330 - 03/28/13 07:34 PM Re: question... would you be interested in hearing... [Re: pinkjimiphoton]
RobRose Offline

Loc: Ottawa, ON
I'd love to hear it. I have a hunch who it is based on your previous comments and it's a guitarist who I think is one of the best there is. I've always loved his fluid rock playing and would love to hear it in a new context.

Hughes & Kettner Grandmeister, Quilter MP Amps

#2481658 - 03/30/13 08:34 AM Re: question... would you be interested in hearing... [Re: RobRose]
Guitarzan Offline
10k Club

you have me curious.

rock it, i will

#2482739 - 04/03/13 03:28 PM Re: question... would you be interested in hearing... [Re: Guitarzan]
pinkjimiphoton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

the guy is one of the most-recorded rock guitarists of all time, and this is a completely different style than any of us are used to hearing from him.
i have talked with him, he is working on getting me some "snippets" for you guys to check out.
being an elderly musician, it's tough, and this can maybe help make his golden years a little easier.
thanks for the interest, bros..

#2482740 - 04/03/13 03:28 PM Re: question... would you be interested in hearing... [Re: Guitarzan]
pinkjimiphoton Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Guitarzan
you have me curious.

hey zan, shouldn't the siggy read "rock it will i" ?
wink

#2483670 - 04/08/13 07:55 AM Re: question... would you be interested in hearing... [Re: pinkjimiphoton]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
Two thumbs up here-but not over the fretboard...

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose