Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2478858 - 03/20/13 09:16 AM Fender HRIII
Fusker Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Moscow, Idaho
On CL Fender HR3

Seems a tad fishy, but, this is Moscow Idaho where people leave their front doors unlocked, so maybe it's legit.

Gonna keep my eye on it, if I got it down to $350 I might just do it, anyone here have experience with the Hot Rod III?

GP Island
#2478891 - 03/20/13 10:43 AM Re: Fender HRIII [Re: Fusker]
russclan Offline

Bought one about a month ago, really nice clean channel, dirt channel was good, nothing particularly exciting. Started crackling and cutting out intermittently, then developed an annoying cabinet buzz at higher volumes...so it went back. Google yielded many of the same complaints, so I opted to let it go.

However, I know a few regulars here have and love them, so ymmv.

Incidentally, I was at GC the day after it went back, just goofing and killing time, and

decided to plug into a Mustang I. That little thing was so cool, it just had to follow me home laugh Now, it's really just a toy, but it sure sounds good for a hundred bucks . I didn't try any of its bigger brothers, but I think a couple guys here have and like them...so that might be a consideration for you too.

#2478897 - 03/20/13 11:00 AM Re: Fender HRIII [Re: russclan]
Fusker Offline
Platinum Member

I bought the Mustang Floor....it's great!

I'm eyeing a tube amp though, and used tubes don't pop up very often around here, so this caught my attention.

#2479030 - 03/20/13 05:30 PM Re: Fender HRIII [Re: Fusker]
russclan Offline

Oh yeah, I remember reading that in a former thread. Duh. facepalm

Well, I'll admit I've read many more good things about them than negative, and other than what I mentioned above, it would've been a keeper...having had it only a short time, I can still easily see why it's (allegedly) the single most popular gigging amp. Very sweet clean channel, nice and loud, takes pedals well, doesn't break the bank, etc. etc.

If it's in good shape, 350 seems like a pretty good price, little less than half of the cost of a new one.

#2479048 - 03/20/13 07:04 PM Re: Fender HRIII [Re: russclan]
Bluesape Moderator Offline
10k Club

Loc: Ottawa
Anything under $500 is a good deal. I got lotsa friends using these amps, but not all III's. Dunno of any real gripes with 'em. I know that QC at Fender is sometimes sketchy. A used Peavey Classic 30 or 50 is prolly as reliable and decent sounding, but typically have a lower resale value, but ya said used tube amps are rare in your area.

#2479077 - 03/20/13 09:04 PM Re: Fender HRIII [Re: Bluesape]
Dannyalcatraz Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
I have one: it beat out a Peavey and juuuust edged out a nice Vox when I was looking. It just had cleaner cleans than anything else I tried in my budget. PLENTY of volume- mine never goes beyond 4.

My guitar teacher is also a gigging pro/studio musician, and that is his go-to amp for most gigs. He plays Jazz, C&W, Blues, and classic Rock though it, so its man versatile. About the only thing it won't handle too well is more extreme forms of metal.

Now, I bought mine new for just about $730, so $500 for one in tip-top shape sounds good to me. But I wouldn't be surprised to see the price drop if you haggle nicely.

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2479095 - 03/20/13 10:24 PM Re: Fender HRIII [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Fusker Offline
Platinum Member

Yeah, not really the amp on my short-list...but that will be another topic. If the price is right, I could be convinced though.

Edited by Fusker (03/20/13 10:27 PM)

#2479166 - 03/21/13 08:03 AM Re: Fender HRIII [Re: Fusker]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Fusker, if you're willing to take a chance on an online purchase, it's worth your while to check out the Used Gear on GC's website. Prices around the country can vary, for essentially the same piece of gear. Yes, you'll have to add in shipping, but you're dealing with a national chain that has a return policy, as opposed to some CL ad that disappears the next day, along with the person who sold you the amp.

Set your price points, and click on National Search, and something will turn up.

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/figures-of-speech

#2479195 - 03/21/13 10:03 AM Re: Fender HRIII [Re: Winston Psmith]
SEHpicker Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Inverness, Florida
Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith
Fusker, if you're willing to take a chance on an online purchase, it's worth your while to check out the Used Gear on GC's website. Prices around the country can vary, for essentially the same piece of gear. Yes, you'll have to add in shipping, but you're dealing with a national chain that has a return policy, as opposed to some CL ad that disappears the next day, along with the person who sold you the amp.
Set your price points, and click on National Search, and something will turn up.

thu I can attest to what Winston is saying here - After checking Ebay, local music stores, Craig's List etc., I have found GC's used gear site is a really great resource with lower prices than I have found anywhere else. They pack very well and ship cheap.

www.huntgroupproductions.com

#2479203 - 03/21/13 10:12 AM Re: Fender HRIII [Re: SEHpicker]
Dannyalcatraz Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
...AND have a decent return policy.

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2479239 - 03/21/13 11:27 AM Re: Fender HRIII [Re: Fusker]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
Originally Posted By: Fusker
On CL Fender HR3

Seems a tad fishy, but, this is Moscow Idaho where people leave their front doors unlocked, so maybe it's legit.

Gonna keep my eye on it, if I got it down to $350 I might just do it, anyone here have experience with the Hot Rod III?

$350 is a great price for a great little amp (probably made in Mexico)and since you have the Mustang Floor to put in front of it you'll be a very happy camper IMHO. The amp only weighs in at 45lbs and it will keep up with just about any of your stage needs packing a lot of output in it's weight class. It's a very clean playing amp. If you have any amp problems on stage or just want to leave it at home, you can go direct to the PA with the Floor. Lots of options...

I've checked out a few HRD's for a friend at GC and you can pick one up for about $300 to $400. He went ahead and bought a new one instead of the used ones. They had 4 used ones on the floor and claimed to have checked them all out with their amp tech. But, one of the amps I looked at had two different brands of 6L6's so I knew they were not a matched pair. For the most part I wouldn't put GC above a private party as that's where I found my old USA made Hot Rod DeVille 4x10 for $400. It's been a trusty old amp for many many years...

#2479331 - 03/21/13 05:21 PM Re: Fender HRIII [Re: Larryz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
I have a HRD II I guess it is a II, it is about 6 or more years old. Best sounding amp (on the clean channel) I have ever owned. Great pedal platform as well.

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose