Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2478122 - 03/17/13 03:42 AM Using an 18v MXR EQ PSU to power several 18v effects?
xanda-panda Offline

Loc: Manchester, England.
Hi, it's your perpetual pesterer again!

Could this work? I have the MXR 10-band EQ but also a couple more 18v pedals that it would be very handy to daisy-chain to the same adapter.

Any foreseeable issues?

Cheers,
Alex.

GP Island
#2478135 - 03/17/13 06:57 AM Re: Using an 18v MXR EQ PSU to power several 18v effects? [Re: xanda-panda]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
First of all, you probably won't damage any of your pedals by making the experiment. The main issue is the total output in milliamps. Looking at my Dunlop 18v adapter, it says the output is 150ma. If you're trying to power a few low-powered pedals, EQ, OD, maybe a Phaser, you probably won't have a problem. Simple analog OD's are way down on the list, under 10 ma, in many cases, analog Flangers and Chorus effects may get you up to 20ma, or so. Digital effects are much more demanding, in terms of current draw. It would help to know which pedals you're looking to daisy-chain, and what their current draw is.

http://4-4-2music.bandcamp.com/album/10-aphorisms

#2478162 - 03/17/13 10:10 AM Re: Using an 18v MXR EQ PSU to power several 18v effects? [Re: Winston Psmith]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
There is a power supply out there that will run 4 18volt and 6 9volt pedals and since you need to run 3, that's the way I would go. It's easy to find daisy chains for 9volt pedals but not so easy for 18volts. I'm a big fan of power supplies and do not use batteries. I had one 18volt pedal and just used a wart for it and ran the rest off of a daisy chain. I would not attempt to build my own and would rely on the ones marketed for guitar pedals that are made by companies that know their stuff...

An easy option is to just put a power strip on your pedal board and pop in 3 18volt warts and daisy chain the rest.

#2478275 - 03/18/13 05:40 AM Re: Using an 18v MXR EQ PSU to power several 18v effects? [Re: Larryz]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Just went to check on the MXR site, for the power requirements on some of their 18v pedals. The 10 band EQ draws 26 ma, the Stereo Chorus (the big yellow one) uses 26 ma, and the EVH Flanger uses 35 ma. If you have an MXR/Dunlop 18v adapter that delivers 150 ma, you can probably power all three of these with a daisy-chain connector, and one 18v adapter. From what I understand, the Dunlop Brick, their power supply box, daisy-chains all the outputs within the box, it just looks neater than a long cable chain. Good luck.

#2478279 - 03/18/13 06:05 AM Re: Using an 18v MXR EQ PSU to power several 18v effects? [Re: Larryz]
xanda-panda Offline

Loc: Manchester, England.
Originally Posted By: Larryz
It's easy to find daisy chains for 9volt pedals but not so easy for 18volts.

Is it not simply a case of connecting the daisy chain cable to an 18v adapter?

Anyway, I had a look at the new MXR Brick M237 and it looks good and could be the answer, however I'm not sure if the outputs are isolated (how important is this anyway?) so might go for the Voodoo Labs ISO-5 instead.

Thanks for your input so far.

Cheers,
Alex.

#2478289 - 03/18/13 07:23 AM Re: Using an 18v MXR EQ PSU to power several 18v effects? [Re: xanda-panda]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: xanda-panda
Anyway, I had a look at the new MXR Brick M237 and it looks good and could be the answer, however I'm not sure if the outputs are isolated (how important is this anyway?) so might go for the Voodoo Labs ISO-5 instead.

IIRC, the original Dunlop Brick didn't have isolated outputs, which can be an issue with some pedals; the original had three 18v outlets, and the newer model has only two? There was nothing on the site about isolated outs in the newer model, however.

I use a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power2+ (say that three times, fast). The outputs are isolated, and I can link up two of the 9v outs, to power an 18v pedal. In theory, I could power up to four 18v pedals that way, (and a fifth, by using one 18v adapter plugged into the spare power jack on the PP2+) but given the relative cost of the PP2+, vs individual 18v adapters, four 18v adapters would be much less expensive. I see them online for under $20, and in some cases, less than $15. The PP2+ runs right around $200. The ISO-5 is $110, and only has one 18v outlet, that I can see from the specs and the photos.

BTW, Pedaltrain has a new power supply coming out, which looks a lot like the PP2+, but it only has one switchable outlet for 18v pedals.

#2478387 - 03/18/13 01:04 PM Re: Using an 18v MXR EQ PSU to power several 18v effects? [Re: xanda-panda]
Larryz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Hwy 49, California
Originally Posted By: xanda-panda
Originally Posted By: Larryz
It's easy to find daisy chains for 9volt pedals but not so easy for 18volts.

Is it not simply a case of connecting the daisy chain cable to an 18v adapter?

Thanks for your input so far.

Cheers,
Alex.

If you're handy, it can be done. Just make sure you put out enough mA for the number of pedals you are using to draw from. 9volts pretty much use standard barrel connectors and 18volts usually use a larger connector to keep you from putting regular gas in a diesel so they might be a little harder to find. If your pedals all use the same size and polarity it will be much easier to make up a chain...but you should be able to find what you need, if you look around...I would just prefer using a brick with the proper set up from the factory.

#2478793 - 03/20/13 06:11 AM Re: Using an 18v MXR EQ PSU to power several 18v effects? [Re: Larryz]
Winston Psmith Offline
Platinum Member

Still looks like it would be less expense, and effort, to get two more 18v adapters. At that rate, you're out $40, at most, probably more like $30. None of the 'brick'-style power supplies seem to have more than one or two 18v outlets, at most, and you lose much of the benefit of the bigger power supplies if you're daisy-chaining off one outlet. BTW, DanElectro also made an 18v adapter for their Cool Cat Chorus, and those are probably even cheaper than the Dunlop/MXR adapters.

Just because I'm curious, what other pedals were you looking to daisy-chain with the 10 Band EQ?

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose